Solved EFI System Partition missing files, Repair Disk won't boot

What Windows 8 version upgrade?

What Windows 8 version is on the Notebook?

information   Information
If you need to download 32bit Windows 8, download from a 32bit PC.
If you need to download 64bit Windows 8, download from a 64bit PC.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

I have this laptop (64-bit) and the desktop (32 bit). I have no currently accessible 64 bit Windows.

What versions Windows 8 Core or Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Desktop is retail Pro, laptop has OEM version, I believe core (is that the standard, cheapest one?).

To download a ISO of Windows 8 Core x64, you would need a Core retail product key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
But for the purposes of repair, does it matter whether I am on a pro or core install disk? As I understood, I can use an install disk as a repair disk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You can use a x64 DVD as a Repair disk, but not as Install disk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Well, I made a Windows Core x64 uefi boot usb drive. I plugged it in, and I get nothing - computer repeatedly turns on and off. I tried in both UEFI and CSM mode. Other USB drives, however, such as my Mint live USB, boot and work fine. I am sure I followed the instructions to the letter. Do you have any idea what could be happening?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Would someone be willing to upload their EFI partition? I believe the files I am missing are not system specific.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Pardon my butting in but I'm confused. To my understanding if you boot off a boot disk/usb drive the boot process is handed off to that boot disk and is totally dependent on the files on the boot disk. So that if you have problems with the hard drive you can still boot. You can boot the Mint Live usb so I can't understand why you can't boot off the boot disk. I have never had a situation where I couldn't boot off the boot disk unless the hardware was bad or the medium I used was bad. Someone enlighten me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Inernet Explorer 11 Chrome
Pardon my butting in but I'm confused. To my understanding if you boot off a boot disk/usb drive the boot process is handed off to that boot disk and is totally dependent on the files on the boot disk. So that if you have problems with the hard drive you can still boot. You can boot the Mint Live usb so I can't understand why you can't boot off the boot disk. I have never had a situation where I couldn't boot off the boot disk unless the hardware was bad or the medium I used was bad. Someone enlighten me.

This is why I am so flustered as well. There is absolutely no reason for this flash drive not to boot. I have tried turning off USB legacy in the bios, and I have tried both UEFI and CSM boot, but the computer simply keeps turning on and off. In fact, having the USB in seems to mess with the boot process, because if it is in, and I press F2 or F12, rather than going to the BIOS or showing the list of devices, the computer simply turns off. This makes no sense. I suppose I will try later on with a DVD, but I read somewhere on this site I can't install windows 8 for uefi with a dvd.

As I understand from the instructions UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows , all I have to do is use Rufus to copy the ISO to the flash drive? Are there some steps I am missing?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
but I read somewhere on this site I can't install windows 8 for uefi with a dvd.

Where?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
By the way I would try and upload the files you are talking about (if it's ok to do that here) but I have no idea what files you need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
By the way I would try and upload the files you are talking about (if it's ok to do that here) but I have no idea what files you need.
Code:
mountvol /S
in command prompt will mount the EFI system partition. It should be ~100MB, if you don't mind uploading that much (dropbox, drive, whatever you want is fine).
Thank you so much!

Edit: if not, just "mountvol" will list all volumes, and then you can mount it by name. Source: Mountvol - Mount Volume | SS64.com

My Computer

System One

• OS

gVhj4vH.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
"in command prompt will mount the EFI system partition. It should be ~100MB, if you don't mind uploading that much (dropbox, drive, whatever you want is fine).
Thank you so much! "

I tried that and a command prompt came up momentarily and disappeared.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
"in command prompt will mount the EFI system partition. It should be ~100MB, if you don't mind uploading that much (dropbox, drive, whatever you want is fine).
Thank you so much! "

I tried that and a command prompt came up momentarily and disappeared.

[DEL]Did a new drive appear, or nothing? (Stupid question, I know, but I've missed more obvious things).
Do you have some sort of live CD/USB?
I am not familiar with the Windows Disk Management tool, but is it possible to mount it from there?[/DEL]
How To Access an EFI Partition in Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Try
Code:
mountvol z: /s
Oh, and apparently you can only access it through the command prompt if you're sticking to windows - EFI Partition Is Not Available in Windows Explorer After You Mount It
Use
Code:
copy "z:\*" "C:\foldername"

To theog above me:
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I'll try a DVD next. Do you have any idea why this USB could not be booting? Could I have missed a step?

My Computer

System One

• OS
UEFI/BIOS firmware not set to UEFI Boot mode or bad hardware.

Use the Microsoft official Toshiba OEM Recovery DVD's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back