DVD Maker

If you want a totally freeware product that does everything you will ever want to do with pics, videos, music, etc ... try DVDVideoSoft Studio --> HERE

This is the main menu

View attachment 13922

This is the DVD & Video Sub-menu

View attachment 13923

This is the CD, DVD, BD Sub-menu

View attachment 13925

etc, etc ...

I'm running it from desktop on Win8 Pro OEM loaded from retail disk, and it runs seamless. And it's a snip to use from editing music, video clips, changing format, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

I have seen various reports about this in the past - and the information has always left me dubious about the software.
- Reports that it is slow unless you pay for the 'Rocket' upgrade to speed it up.
- Reports that the 'free' version will slow down other activities on the PC whilst in use (more so than other similar software).
- Reports that they use a payment provider in the Eastern Block who is known for 'scam practices' and overcharging.

I stopped considering it some time ago as I knew no-one who used it to confirm if the information was correct, or to confirm if the software was OK to use.

As you have stated you are using it, can you confirm if it is the full package you have installed and if it is the free or 'Rocket' version you are using, also what your experiences have been relating to the points commented above.

TIA

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro - 64Bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer 8930
    Memory
    6GB
    Hard Drives
    WD 300GB, WD 500GB
I have seen various reports about this in the past - and the information has always left me dubious about the software.
- Reports that it is slow unless you pay for the 'Rocket' upgrade to speed it up.
- Reports that the 'free' version will slow down other activities on the PC whilst in use (more so than other similar software).
- Reports that they use a payment provider in the Eastern Block who is known for 'scam practices' and overcharging.

I stopped considering it some time ago as I knew no-one who used it to confirm if the information was correct, or to confirm if the software was OK to use.

As you have stated you are using it, can you confirm if it is the full package you have installed and if it is the free or 'Rocket' version you are using, also what your experiences have been relating to the points commented above.
I have the full version installed although you can install individual modules. Also I regularly update to get the latest version.

"Rocket" is an optional third party extra which is offered on installation, but I've never installed it. It claims to speed up the downloads x 600%. But I have not found the downloads to be slow, nor do I know anything of an Eastern Block scammer. And I have not experienced any of the problems you have listed re PC being slowed down. I scanned the downloaded software, and the installed program, with Avast Anti-virus, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispy. It's the best Youtube app I have found. And I have always found DVDVideoSoft stuff very reliable.

Best way is to try it. If you find it's not what you want, uninstall using Revo Uninistaller, (freeware), in advanced mode to remove any left over files or registry entries.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I'm running Win8 and I just downloaded the PowerDVD v12 trial since I used to use it before. I like the way it works and I was able to watch DVD's without any problem. I also burned 4 DVD's over the holidays. When I need to make a DVD with a bootable image, I use DaemonTools. I own Nero Burning Rom, but I don't want to install it since it's such a pig. PowerDVD played every DVD I needed to play.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
Snapafun, sure there is, BUT it is VERY rudimental as to what you can burn. It works actually like the floppy disks of old. IF you want to do more than say backup your system, or move files then go the route that azasadny had taken, and get PowerDVD, or Nero Burning ROM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Thanks for your effort. Cannot afford PowerDVD so have gone with DVDStyler. Used it on Linux so am familiar with it. Only use it 3 or 4 times a year so there's actually no budget for it.

For those in my position, consider earlier suggestions here. DVDVideoSoft Free, DVDShrink, DVDStyler, AVS4YOU (Free), Avidemux, and there are other open source options out there.

You may need to be a little more familiar with computers than the average windows user though none of these suggestions are all that difficult.

If you are familiar with installing programs using the 'custom' approach, then may I recommend BurnAware Free also.

Enjoy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows8 64bit
There is a difference between a DVD Burner and a DVD Maker. A DVD Maker will take a video and convert it to DVD format with menus. A DVD Burner will just burn the files to the DVD. There is no DVD Maker in Windows 8.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
DOn't know if it makes sense to necro this thread but here goes.
LIke many otthers I really miss the windows DVD maker. I like it for various reasons, the main one being that I happened to fall in love with 2 of the templates that comes with it.
So, did anyone ever figure out how to use it on win 8? Could someone make a portable version of it?
Or can the templates be loaded in any other programs by any chance?

My Computer

System One

• OS
For the Windows burning software, your templates are in MS Word/Works. I finish my burn, and then go into MS Word, and burn my template to my DVD. For the cover of your DVD HP makes those blanks so it can be designed on the cover (top of the DVD) the template designs can also be printed to the DVD as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Phoneman? Just put in a blank DVD, and a little disc appears in the system tray, right click it, and choose copy files to disc. Windows Explorer will then open and ask you for the files, and you put in the files, it will then ask you if you want to burn the files to disc. You choose yes, then another box opens asking you for which drive you want to copy (burn) the files to. Choose your burner drive, then click BURN, and it will burn the files to your disc. upon completion a box will open asking you if you want to verify that the files were copied to the disc. I know this is a drag but you can with a converter software convert files for doing a DVD and create a movie DVD. I'm glad personally that my HP Digital-camcorder creates the file so all I need to do is just burn my completed movie.

Also, forgot to put this in as well. As long as you keep the session open, and not close the DVD you can add after your movie is finished add a photo montage, this is such a cool thing to do and these memories come to life. I would love to show the movie I did of my vacation in Hawaii, I mean it is perfect in all it's details. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Not sure we understand each other.
I have no problem with burning any kind of DVD or authoring or anything like that. I own- and know of plenty of programs that can do that.
The problem is, that in spite of the above, I really miss the windows DVD maker.
There are several reasons for this, the main one being that I fell in love with one of the "menu-navigation-system" templates (the one that does something like a random video-wall puzzle in the navigation menu, using clips from more or less random locations of the movies you put on the disk.
I have used these with great success in the past, and I currently have a project where I REALLY want to use it (I often do free/ pro-bono projects that don't merit custom designs)
Of all the pre-designed and free "interactive" menu templates I have tried, this is the only one that I really like.
So, my question still stands, does anyone know of a way to use the DVD-Maker on a windows 8 system?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Mike, are you saying I can take an AVI movie and burn it to a DVD and it will transform it to the DVD format (VOB files)?

DVD Maker will take an AVI file and convert it to the DVD format and allows you to make chapters and menus.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Epson V300 Scanner
No Jim I am not saying that, you first have to use a program to convert those .avi files into .vob The files I was saying you can copy by dropping a CD/DVD into the burner are just for backup, photos, etc.. And, and, and if you have a digital camcorder like with the HP one I have they are already .vob files ready when you transfer them from the digital camcorder to your PC, and use the movie editing software HP includes. (does the converting for you, as well as the compression). Jim? To get the menu for chapters, you need a DVD authoring software, I use MS Word to create my title splash screen. (That is the screen before the movie starts). Jim? You might want to look into Nero Burning Rom, they have some great tools to create a movie for the beginner. ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
That is what the OP was saying. He was looking for DVD Maker (which coverts files to the DVD format) which was in Windows 7 but was dropped in Windows 8. You explanation of putting in a DVD disc and burning is not what he was asking about, although it is good information to know. There are other programs that will do the conversion but he wanted DVD Maker from MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Epson V300 Scanner
Back