DVD Maker

There are a few codecs that are not supported by Win7 - e.g. .flv and some others. For that I use VLC. But some people like 'native' support.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
There are a few codecs that are not supported by Win7 - e.g. .flv and some others. For that I use VLC. But some people like 'native' support.
When Win 7 Beta came out I was using Shark codecs. Several Forums indicated that codecs were not to be used as it would screw up your system so when Win 7 went final, I never installed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 7 & Xubuntu 13.10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 9000
Yes, in principle you are right. But Shark knows what he is doing. He does use all available Win7 codecs without change and adds only those that are not available.

The problem you have with other codec packs is that they are a mixed bag from many sources and some are really wonky. That is not the case with Sharks stuff. He is real tidy - as far as I can tell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Actually, at the time I was oblivious to the issue. It was only when I read several articles and saw Forums discussing the issue, I became aware of it. I always used Shark codecs. If memory serves, it didn't cause a problem in XP or Win 7 Beta.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 9000
The DVDRW drive itself has directions on the application to burn a DVD disc. As long as it appeared as a DVDRW drive
that was all that was needed, no software like *example* Nero burning ROM, as I said all you needed to do was put in a blank
DVD , and either directed it to the folder you wanted burned, or drag and drop the files directly onto the blank disc. Quite simple.
Ya, I heard you the first time. Do you have a point or are you trying to show how smart you are?

In Windows 7, just type in DVD in the Start Menu and you get the DVD maker. I tried that in Windows 8 and it doesn't happen. Oh yeah, there is no Start Menu in Windows 8, which makes it even more important to add an icon (err 'App') DVD Maker. Do you get it?

I used Nero for years and dropped it in Windows 7 as Nero was unnecessary. A newbie should not need to grope around for an "App" or stick a blank DVD in the burner to get said 'App'. Surely, you jest.

Windows 8 with its Metro interface will fail just like Windows ME and Vista did. Windows 8 will be refined before its release, but I can't imagine the average user taking to it. They will just stick with Windows 7. ;)

Please share your thoughts, I would love to hear them!

Windows 8 is OK, a little busier than what I like but after getting used to it it seems OK I do however wish you could get the option of a classic interface and turn metro off, without downloading third party software. The problem is though, Microsoft is moving towards a more mobile platform. With surface and Windows Phone the metro interface seems like a great idea, but I can't say the same with a desktop or laptop where productivity is the main purpose. But about the DVD Maker. If you just wan't to create a DVD that stores files and can be used on a computer only then yes the method mentioned will work. But if you actually want a DVD that will work in a DVD Player then you will need an Application, App w/e lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
The DVDRW drive itself has directions on the application to burn a DVD disc. As long as it appeared as a DVDRW drive
that was all that was needed, no software like *example* Nero burning ROM, as I said all you needed to do was put in a blank
DVD , and either directed it to the folder you wanted burned, or drag and drop the files directly onto the blank disc. Quite simple.
Ya, I heard you the first time. Do you have a point or are you trying to show how smart you are?

In Windows 7, just type in DVD in the Start Menu and you get the DVD maker. I tried that in Windows 8 and it doesn't happen. Oh yeah, there is no Start Menu in Windows 8, which makes it even more important to add an icon (err 'App') DVD Maker. Do you get it?

I used Nero for years and dropped it in Windows 7 as Nero was unnecessary. A newbie should not need to grope around for an "App" or stick a blank DVD in the burner to get said 'App'. Surely, you jest.

Windows 8 with its Metro interface will fail just like Windows ME and Vista did. Windows 8 will be refined before its release, but I can't imagine the average user taking to it. They will just stick with Windows 7. ;)

Please share your thoughts, I would love to hear them!

Windows 8 is OK, a little busier than what I like but after getting used to it it seems OK I do however wish you could get the option of a classic interface and turn metro off, without downloading third party software. The problem is though, Microsoft is moving towards a more mobile platform. With surface and Windows Phone the metro interface seems like a great idea, but I can't say the same with a desktop or laptop where productivity is the main purpose. But about the DVD Maker. If you just wan't to create a DVD that stores files and can be used on a computer only then yes the method mentioned will work. But if you actually want a DVD that will work in a DVD Player then you will need an Application, App w/e lol
I agree, there should be an option between a mobile platform and a desktop user. I purchased Nero and get perfect DVDs every time in Windows 7. That really is too bad W8 can't be as nimble. Besides the quick boot, I see know real upside to Windows 8. I am dual booting with Windows 7. Every time I log into Win 7, my system restore points are erased in Win 8. Microsoft has once again proven that they are anti consumer with this tactic. There was a registry hack to preserve System Restore points up until and including a dual boot of Windows 7. Thus far, I found no such registry hack for Windows 8.

I suspect Windows 8 will be a flop, much like Windows ME and Vista. Am I missing something?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 9000
I can't find it either and it isn't the only problem with 8. I would highly recommend NOT upgrading. I can't believe Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to create the "APP" screen. I think I might go ahead and spend the extra money on MAC since Microsoft is constantly playing catch-up with the technology. Steve Jobs is gone and Microsoft still can't come up with better ideas than Apple. News flash, "My laptop is not a cell phone!"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
It IS there! Just open "Computer" , put a blank DVD in the DVDRW drive, and when the create opens, direct it to the folder where
the files you want to burn are. *Simple*
I'll have to take your word for it. After about a month with it, I removed it from my computer. Why no icon (oh, excuse me "App")? Windows 8 shuts down quickly. Other than that, I just don't see anything I like about it.

Thanks slopechz, that was simple except the dvd won't play in a dvd player. Windows8 is a terrible OS :(

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
WTF? My DVDs play perfectly in Windows 8, put them in, the cinema screen comes up I click the play button and BINGO my DVD is playing. My only problem with it is my older DVD (1st generation) cannot access the internet with some of the goodies that came on the DVD(s). Note: When you first insert your DVD you should get a blue screen in the upper right hand corner asking you what would you like to do with this DVD. I would suggest that you put the DVD in, walk off and make a cup of coffee come back and you should see that screen, it is not fast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Brian, you are right about that. The DVD burner that you get cannot be configured to record/create videos
that can be viewed with your set top DVD player attached to your television. You would have to get Nero for that and use the Nero recode application to create a DVD that will play on your television, the burning application that comes with Windows 8 really only allows you to burn files to a disk, it is not for DVD creations. What also I noticed about it as well is it doesn't confirm your files were
written to the media. I had to take the DVD I created (Photo DVD) to my Windows 7 computer to verify that the pictures were even there.

*EDIT* Just thought of something else about the Windows 8 DVD mastering tool, does anyone remember floppy disks? If so that is how the DVD tool works in Windows 8. Drag and drop the file(s) onto the DVD in computer and it writes them. No progress bar to let you know that the DVD is being written too. I personally do not like this, I like seeing a progress bar as the files are being saved to the DVD media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I tried simply copying the DVD Maker from the Program Files folder on a Windows 7 PC, but when I run it I get an error saying that the MPEG-2 encoder is missing... This may be able to be fixed, but I don't know how. I tried registering the DLLs with the regsvr32 command, but that did not work.

And ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Magnum 5.2
I tried simply copying the DVD Maker from the Program Files folder on a Windows 7 PC, but when I run it I get an error saying that the MPEG-2 encoder is missing... This may be able to be fixed, but I don't know how. I tried registering the DLLs with the regsvr32 command, but that did not work.

And ideas?

Windows 8 does not come with DVD support (MPEG-2 Codec) as MS has to pay a licence fee for each installation. Windows Media Center is sold as an add-on and has the MPEG-2 Codec. So maybe after installing WMC it may work but not sure.

Jim :cool:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Windows 8 does not come with DVD support (MPEG-2 Codex) as MS has to pay a licence fee for each installation. Windows Media Center is sold as an add-on and has the MPEG-2 Codex. So maybe after installing WMC it may work but not sure.

FYI, it's Codec, not Codex. It's stands for Coder/Decoder. The plural is Codecs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Mystere? This isn't primary school, spelling doesn't matter, comprehension does. And I bet everyone including you understood what he meant.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I find it quite ironic that you should lecture me about it not being school.. cause, you know.. you get lectures in school.

In case you're not aware, FYI means "For your information", and is a polite way of giving information. Proper spelling is important in this case because people may want to find a codec, and googling for "codex" would not bring up what they are looking for. Not everyone would have understood, since clearly the original poster was seeking information.

So I would take your own advice, and leave the lectures in school, rather than being rude on a message board when someone is providing helpful and polite information.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
If you want a totally freeware product that does everything you will ever want to do with pics, videos, music, etc ... try DVDVideoSoft Studio --> HERE

This is the main menu

Studio Main Menu.PNG

This is the DVD & Video Sub-menu

Studio DVD Sub-menu.PNG

This is the CD, DVD, BD Sub-menu

Studio CD, DVD, BD Sub-menu.PNG

etc, etc ...

I'm running it from desktop on Win8 Pro OEM loaded from retail disk, and it runs seamless. And it's a snip to use from editing music, video clips, changing format, etc, etc.

Hope this helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I find it quite ironic that you should lecture me about it not being school.. cause, you know.. you get lectures in school.

In case you're not aware, FYI means "For your information", and is a polite way of giving information. Proper spelling is important in this case because people may want to find a codec, and googling for "codex" would not bring up what they are looking for. Not everyone would have understood, since clearly the original poster was seeking information.

So I would take your own advice, and leave the lectures in school, rather than being rude on a message board when someone is providing helpful and polite information.

Mystere, you could of simply said google codec you'll get better results than if you google codex. That way information is passed along, and nothing that could be construed as an insult added with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
And you could have simply not over-reacted to a polite exchange of information. Because that's what you did.

I wasn't simply correcting spelling for spellings sake. There was a legitimate reason to correct the information, and I went a step further and explained the source of the portmanteau.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

And ideas?

Windows 8 does not come with DVD support (MPEG-2 Codec) as MS has to pay a licence fee for each installation. Windows Media Center is sold as an add-on and has the MPEG-2 Codec. So maybe after installing WMC it may work but not sure.

Jim :cool:

I have the WMC and it doesn't help it, I also tried many codec packs I found online, but they also did no help...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Magnum 5.2
Back