Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't

I own an iPad, which I love dearly. I use it for lots of things -- games, email, browsing the web, social networking, writing, viewing photos and video, and remote accessing my PC. The iPad, like all tablets, is a true jack of all trades and a master of some too.
But, try as I might, I can’t use it for "real" tasks. While it’s fine for writing small-ish articles on, I could never write a novel on it -- and I’ve tried. For some reason, I just can’t connect with typing on a touchscreen in the same way I do when typing on a proper full-size keyboard. And I could never imagine attempting detailed Photoshop work on a touchscreen either (well, not without a fine stylus at least).

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been using a keyboard and mouse combo for so long that the old control method has become part of who I am when working. I sit down in front of my PC and the mouse and keyboard are there, in my hands without my ever really having to think about what I’m doing.

Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't)

Personally I'm looking into getting a touch screen for my desktop PC. I have one of those two-foot deep glass computer desks with the glass slide-out keyboard draws. Since the desk is only two-foot deep and with the draw closed I can get close enough to my screen to use touch. I have no problems with my arms tiring since I've worked construction for many years.

Another factor is that I've always disliked the mouse and use mostly keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking with touch along with a stylus I can throw my mouse away for good. :)

What are your thoughts on the article and/or any scenario of using touch at your desk?

If it's not popular now, how is it going to become popular in 2-3 years? It would have been so simple to have left the interface elements of Windows 7 in Windows 8, brought in the underlying improvements and left the MPI as a secondary option for the desktop. Windows 8 would have stormed the ramparts and been declared a resounding success. I can't believe how Microsoft completely misread its userbase and was blindsided by tablets and mobile phones.

OMG! Is this the way your going to go out of this world?! Kicking and screaming all the way?!!....I mean Geez?!!....Why don't they see things my way?!! :( You too, SIW(I don't know you)2. It is what it is!!!......PERIOD!!! I mean get a grip!!! TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING.....Your desktop is OBSOLETE!!! Gone! Nil! Obsolete! Bye bye! Adiós! See ya! Will be gone forever! No return! No coming back!

Your rant is quite hypocritical. But that's nothing unusual from you and others that keep calling those who don't like the MPI and support the view that there should be options, as Luddites and the like.

I, nor anyone else, is suggesting that things should be done my way, but merely voicing a view that options should be provided. Options that in no way affect Windows 8, but enhance the user experience of those who work on the desktop.

Your post is akin to a childish tantrum, emotional and full of shouting and ranting.

You're correct. My sincere apology for my post. I'm sorry. No excuse, but I wrote that after I came home last night after having a bit too many. Also having a "bit of differences" with the little lady so I took my frustration out on you two.

I read the article, found it to be interesting, and posted. I thought I simply posted my desires to look into touch and my point of view. In no way did I state touch is for everyone nor forced my opinion on anyone.

Perhaps I'm a oddball user in that I sit close to my monitor. I've been a keyboard shortcut keys user for quite some time and I've always disliked the mouse. That's me as an individual as we all are.

I just received a call from my daughter. She's being flooded out here in the Fox River Valley. I'll have to finish this later.

The main objective was to apologize. Please forgive me. Gotta go....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I own an iPad, which I love dearly. I use it for lots of things -- games, email, browsing the web, social networking, writing, viewing photos and video, and remote accessing my PC. The iPad, like all tablets, is a true jack of all trades and a master of some too.
But, try as I might, I can’t use it for "real" tasks. While it’s fine for writing small-ish articles on, I could never write a novel on it -- and I’ve tried. For some reason, I just can’t connect with typing on a touchscreen in the same way I do when typing on a proper full-size keyboard. And I could never imagine attempting detailed Photoshop work on a touchscreen either (well, not without a fine stylus at least).

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been using a keyboard and mouse combo for so long that the old control method has become part of who I am when working. I sit down in front of my PC and the mouse and keyboard are there, in my hands without my ever really having to think about what I’m doing.

Personally I'm looking into getting a touch screen for my desktop PC. I have one of those two-foot deep glass computer desks with the glass slide-out keyboard draws. Since the desk is only two-foot deep and with the draw closed I can get close enough to my screen to use touch. I have no problems with my arms tiring since I've worked construction for many years.

Another factor is that I've always disliked the mouse and use mostly keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking with touch along with a stylus I can throw my mouse away for good. :)

What are your thoughts on the article and/or any scenario of using touch at your desk?

gorilla arm

View attachment 20469

Touch screens on PC's should be looked at as another input option such as a pen pad. It shouldn't be look as an input method everyone needs to migrate to.

Agreed.

It should be optional, as another method or combined (to support) the current mouse and keyboard not to replace mouse and keyboard.

For larger screens, your arm(s) will tire sooner than expected (good to know about the gorilla arm) and as Jimbo said, you will get finger marks all over the screen, requiring more cleaning maintenance.

Plus, when you type you still emulate a virtual keyboard filing extra screen space (meaning that keyboard is irreplaceable at the moment).

I'm OK with tablets and some newer laptops where touch has proven it's value, but for desktop workstations, touch is a foreigner.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Selection Shortcuts

I've mastered that already a LONG LONG time ago, but still, it is a piddle off when that does happen though on an internet page when you're selecting something and have to scroll pretty far down to get a piece of text. Then at the end, it highlights EVERYTHING the page... :sarc:

Selecting text on web pages can be painful. :)

"Left Click" followed by "Shift + Left Click" is what you use in that situation.
It works in most programs, including Word (it also works in both directions).

These shortcuts work well in Word (I don't know about 2013 though).
"Ctrl + Shift + Home" or "Ctrl + Shift + End" are also useful for selecting large blocks of text.
These don't necessarily work as expected on web pages though.

"Ctrl + Shift + Left Arrow" or " Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow" are great for selecting words.
These work correctly on web pages.

"Ctrl + Shift + Up Arrow" or "Ctrl + Shift + Down Arrow" are great for selecting paragraphs.
These two don't seem to work on web pages.

Admittedly these shortcuts probably aren't much use on a tablet. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I wonder whether MS will supply the music for those hand gestures.

[video=youtube;8s2KFsLN6Zc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s2KFsLN6Zc[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding the word "option" combined with "touchscreen". Look, just because there's a touchscreen doesn't mean you have to throw away your mouse and use the touchscreen for photoshop.

Look, when the mouse came out, did you have to give up your keyboard to only use the mouse? No, of course not. The keyboard was still very helpful. It still is. Now that we have touchscreen, it sure beats the mouse or the keyboard in certain tasks. But we still type a lot faster with a keyboard, and we still copy and paste blocks of texts and work with autocad and photoshop a lot better with a mouse.

I don't understand this false dilemma that people are coming up with. Why do we have to give up the mouse or the keyboard because we have touchscreen now? I don't get that. Can someone smarter than me please explain to me why you think just because we have the touchscreen that we have to abandon the mouse?

Is this the same mentality that because I can marry my long time partner that your marriage will be somehow magically ruined?
Simply because there is just no need to have a mouse anymore. Sure you can use the mouse, but you have a bloody expensive optional input. You don't get rid of the keyboard mind you, just the mouse. For tedious tasks such as text selecting, that's why they make stylus'. For fine input on Photoshop, you don't use your bare finger as that would be deranged. Professional digital artists that work with a touch monitor (usually a Wacom one) will ALWAYS use a stylus. I'll cite Halo 4 as a game in which the art was done with touch and stylus.

When you have the two, the need for the mouse is just not there anymore. You can keep it if you want, but that depends on the person. Some see it as an option, some as a primary input.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke, do you know how to use PDS Fameworks, Autodesk Revit, SmartPlant, Bentley Structural Modeler, Microstation and AutoCAD? I do.All of them. Have you even heard about data point, tentative point and accept button? I guess you don't because you want the mouse out of the equation.

High rise towers, dams, highwayss, subway systems and the roof you are sleeping in are NOT designed using drag and drop templates and graphic libraries. They are meticulously designed, connections after connections with extreme precision and accuracy. The world is not built by swiping and hand gestures. Halo is a "cartoons". It's not good example to justify your cause.

I am a structural designer, and I just can't help but smile every time you say these things. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Taking the mouse away will be the same mistake as getting rid of Start Menu.

If you think mouse is expensive, are you saying that Wacom is cheap? I have a Wacom Bamboo Capture pen & touch tablet and although it's the cheapest version ($99) of graphic tablet that has hand gesture options, it's still 3X more expensive than my favorite Logitech wireless mouse. And it's not even a touch monitor, it's just a graphic tablet. So, I would think, the Wacom touch screens are more than 10X more expensive. Wacom is NOT CHEAP! And 10X more difficult to get used to than a regular mouse. The stylus itself would be expensive already. So, how would it justify losing the mouse????

I guess it's time to change you sig. You're not doing it yourself.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
Hi there
@CokeRobot
Perhaps you really should take Vacation / "Holiday" that very well known Dutch City where you can take every "mind blowing" substance known to man (or even beast).

I've already pointed out on some of your other posts about the full screen Metro Interface - you obviously haven't EVER had to compare prices from a load of websites so you can get cheap airline tickets, or even have had to do ANYTHING whatsoever on a computer that requires more than simply Googling stuff and copying responses -- in fact do you actually HAVE a computer at all.

I have to admit though some of the stuff you post would certainly make it into the Sci-Fi's 50 best sellers lists.

You need to get out there into "The REAL World" as you seem to have not a clue how things are actually done in practice - even if you say you buy the best hardware on the planet.

@FourthofJuly

Perhaps we should Hand hold cokie through a REAL world situation and show how stuff is REALLY performed on computers in a lot of work situations -- he obviously has no idea whatsoever.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I used an Acer All in One touchscreen at my office for a couple of weeks. For some things touch is ok, but for everyday use I won't be switching.

Smears on the monitor are terrible
I hate the shiny reflective nature.
Cutting and Pasting is cumbersome.
I hate shifting my hands between the horizontal surface of the keyboard and the vertical surface of the monitor.
Arm gets tired after a few hours or reaching for everything.

That sums it up for me. Thanks for sharing real life experience.

Why would someone use touch to cut and paste?
Who would use touch for hours?
How many touch users do their work on vertical monitors?
Does everyone have greasy fingers?
Can you clean your touch screen with Windex or something?

Hi there
Even if you were the most Fastidious person in the Entire universe you would still leave finger print marks and smear stains across a touch screen.

The only type of places where these might make the grade in Commercial applications are when they operate in "Kiosk Mode" say at Railway stations or Airports - and even here people just seem to get fazed by these -- I'm sure it's the same in the USA but just try arriving in Kings Cross station in London around 17.20 on a Friday night and try and buy a simple rail ticket to YORK -- people just look at the screens for HOURS scrolling up and down endlessly and haven't a clue what to do -- in fact it's usually quicker to stand in what seems a long line (there are always long lines in the UK but on the whole if you have to stand in line in the UK it's relatively civilized -- even today -- ... "Whatever you want to do --there's always a F....ng Queue".. as the ditty goes) and use the "Human ticket clerk desk". !!

I'm sure at most airports it's the same -- You are behind someone who seems to take around 20 mins over what should be a quick 30 sec transaction.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
@CokeRobot
Perhaps you really should take Vacation / "Holiday" that very well known Dutch City where you can take every "mind blowing" substance known to man (or even beast).

I've already pointed out on some of your other posts about the full screen Metro Interface - you obviously haven't EVER had to compare prices from a load of websites so you can get cheap airline tickets, or even have had to do ANYTHING whatsoever on a computer that requires more than simply Googling stuff and copying responses -- in fact do you actually HAVE a computer at all.

I have to admit though some of the stuff you post would certainly make it into the Sci-Fi's 50 best sellers lists.

You need to get out there into "The REAL World" as you seem to have not a clue how things are actually done in practice - even if you say you buy the best hardware on the planet.

@FourthofJuly

Perhaps we should Hand hold cokie through a REAL world situation and show how stuff is REALLY performed on computers in a lot of work situations -- he obviously has no idea whatsoever.

Cheers
jimbo

Let's do that. He should stop touring the world by swiping google street view maps. He should go out there in the real world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Both of you are talking from completely different perspective.

As I've stated before, the mouse and keyboard aren't going away any time soon. Touch is a nice addition to the list of interfaces we could use to interact with our computers. But it's not here to replace anything. People, please get that through your thick skulls. Nobody is out to get your mice.

I work with a mouse almost everyday. It's still the best interface for a workstation, IMHO. I'm a field engineer, so sometimes I don't always have the luxury of sitting comfortably at my desk in the office. Having a laptop with a touchscreen has made my life a lot better than before.

The point is touch is just another tool presented by the market. If you absolutely hate it, then don't use it. Or you could find a way to incorporate that into your life. But again, rest assured that no evil doer is out to take your mouse away.

And coke, ease up on the fervor, man. I'm all for touch, because I love it. But these guys are right about working with certain programs that require an honest to god mouse. Remember that all these programs evolved by the mouse. They were designed and optimized for use WITH THE MOUSE. Until they come up with some ingenious way to adequately work with things like cad drawings through touch, the mouse remains my most trusted tool.

Touch is still a relatively new tool. give it time and it will find its rightful place among our tool box.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I already have 8, don't need a Surface Pro right now, and waiting for the Nokia Lumia EOS that is expected to be released this summer.
I thought you were still rocking the Enterprise eval of Windows 8. That's what it shows under your avatar.

I can understand not needing a Surface Pro, but you have to see the irony that you have preached and praised and highly touted the Surface, touch, and the Nokia phones to no end...but yet it seems when parting with actual money comes into play it's a different story. Always waiting for the next thing, not satisfied with the current stuff that is out there. Which is really what many of us complain about...not being blown away with what is available now..yet when we complain...you basically say we are doing it wrong, or don't understand. Yes you are right, I don't understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Both of you are talking from completely different perspective.

As I've stated before, the mouse and keyboard aren't going away any time soon. Touch is a nice addition to the list of interfaces we could use to interact with our computers. But it's not here to replace anything. People, please get that through your thick skulls. Nobody is out to get your mice.

I work with a mouse almost everyday. It's still the best interface for a workstation, IMHO. I'm a field engineer, so sometimes I don't always have the luxury of sitting comfortably at my desk in the office. Having a laptop with a touchscreen has made my life a lot better than before.

The point is touch is just another tool presented by the market. If you absolutely hate it, then don't use it. Or you could find a way to incorporate that into your life. But again, rest assured that no evil doer is out to take your mouse away.

And coke, ease up on the fervor, man. I'm all for touch, because I love it. But these guys are right about working with certain programs that require an honest to god mouse. Remember that all these programs evolved by the mouse. They were designed and optimized for use WITH THE MOUSE. Until they come up with some ingenious way to adequately work with things like cad drawings through touch, the mouse remains my most trusted tool.

Touch is still a relatively new tool. give it time and it will find its rightful place among our tool box.

Don't get mo wrong man, I have touch devices, too. Like I said, I even have a Wacom pen & touch tablet to complement my mouse. It's just that one guy is saying that there is no need for a mouse. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Coke, do you know how to use PDS Fameworks, Autodesk Revit, SmartPlant, Bentley Structural Modeler, Microstation and AutoCAD? I do.All of them. Have you even heard about data point, tentative point and accept button? I guess you don't because you want the mouse out of the equation.

High rise towers, dams, highwayss, subway systems and the roof you are sleeping in are NOT designed using drag and drop templates and graphic libraries. They are meticulously designed, connections after connections with extreme precision and accuracy. The world is not built by swiping and hand gestures. Halo is a "cartoons". It's not good example to justify your cause.

I am a structural designer, and I just can't help but smile every time you say these things. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If you think mouse is expensive, are you saying that Wacom is cheap? I have a Wacom Bamboo Capture pen & touch tablet and although it's the cheapest version ($99) of graphic tablet that has hand gesture options, it's still 3X more expensive than my favorite Logitech wireless mouse. And it's not even a touch monitor, it's just a graphic tablet. So, I would think, the Wacom touch screens are more than 10X more expensive. Wacom is NOT CHEAP! And 10X more difficult to get used to than a regular mouse. The stylus itself would be expensive already. So, how would it justify losing the mouse????

I use AutoCAD and Photoshop quite a bit as the career field I'm going into is architecture.... Even in the field of architecture, CAD drawing isn't the sole way architects design at all. They STILL do a lot of hand drafting. Why? I don't know, that depends on the person. Personally, I can't envision something and draw it facing a computer screen and using a mouse. Master plans are drafted still by hand and THEN done into AutoCAD, at least from the couple of firms I've been at to shadow.

Halo isn't a cartoon, it is a meticulously drawn and revised 3D graphical model that required a lot of fine tuning and input that you obviously don't even realize. Some developers used a mouse, others used a stylus and touchscreen. Also, never did I say that you're supposed to use "swiping and hand gestures" to design anything. NO WHERE. You're putting words in my mouth.

Also, I never said the mouse was expensive, again, you're putting words in my mouth. I bloody well know a Wacom graphical design touchscreen cost about 3,400 dollars, one that is SOLELY built for Photoshop as it has a bunch of buttons and I believe a scroll wheel on the sides just to be better suited in switching paintbrushes or to change pressure sensitivity.

I'M not the one thinking outside the box here? You're the one that is arguing to stay with the current UI model that has been around for decades, while I'm thinking about possible potential elsewhere that is significantly easier to use. I can really tell you've NEVER used a touchscreen on Windows 7 or 8, as well as not even figuring out how to use it effectively. As someone who is a structural designer, I'm surprised.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I already have 8, don't need a Surface Pro right now, and waiting for the Nokia Lumia EOS that is expected to be released this summer.
I thought you were still rocking the Enterprise eval of Windows 8. That's what it shows under your avatar.

I can understand not needing a Surface Pro, but you have to see the irony that you have preached and praised and highly touted the Surface, touch, and the Nokia phones to no end...but yet it seems when parting with actual money comes into play it's a different story. Always waiting for the next thing, not satisfied with the current stuff that is out there. Which is really what many of us complain about...not being blown away with what is available now..yet when we complain...you basically say we are doing it wrong, or don't understand. Yes you are right, I don't understand.

I haven't bothered changing it and I keep forgetting to.

See, I don't get this. You're telling me to that I have to out and spend thousands of dollars on devices that for one I don't need right now, and two I'm still waiting out for a particular Nokia Windows Phone 8 handset; JUST to convince certain words on the internet otherwise?

I already technically have a Lumia 920 that was supposed to be a trial device for two weeks, but Nokia's Logistic department is more constipated than a fat man as they get in contact with me once every two months about this and never reply to my emails in a timely fashion. I'm not using that one right now as I'm back on my Lumia 900 with the 7.8 update as that's the one that is unlocked with service, not the 920. I'm sure as ruddy hell not going back to att JUST to use a 920 without wifi all the time. I'm blown away by the 920, but since I follow Windows Phone development more than you ever will, I know that the EOS Nokia Lumia handset is inevitable and rumored for a July release on att then globally later. Similar specs as the 808 PureView, WAY better than the 920; not even a comparison camera wise or even hardware wise. THAT is the one I want since if I'm going to be paying well over 700 dollars out of pocket for a Windows Phone 8 handset, I'm not going to be buying one when the one that will satisfy my body is to come out in a few months. Do you not see the logic here?

There really isn't much I'm currently not satisfied with. There are things in Window 8 for example that I want to see changed, but as it is, it is a great OS. I'll take the additional changes that will come and use them, as they will add on as a better overall experience than previously.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I use AutoCAD and Photoshop quite a bit as the career field I'm going into is architecture.... Even in the field of architecture, CAD drawing isn't the sole way architects design at all. They STILL do a lot of hand drafting. Why? I don't know, that depends on the person. Personally, I can't envision something and draw it facing a computer screen and using a mouse. Master plans are drafted still by hand and THEN done into AutoCAD, at least from the couple of firms I've been at to shadow.

Halo isn't a cartoon, it is a meticulously drawn and revised 3D graphical model that required a lot of fine tuning and input that you obviously don't even realize. Some developers used a mouse, others used a stylus and touchscreen. Also, never did I say that you're supposed to use "swiping and hand gestures" to design anything. NO WHERE. You're putting words in my mouth.

Also, I never said the mouse was expensive, again, you're putting words in my mouth. I bloody well know a Wacom graphical design touchscreen cost about 3,400 dollars, one that is SOLELY built for Photoshop as it has a bunch of buttons and I believe a scroll wheel on the sides just to be better suited in switching paintbrushes or to change pressure sensitivity.

I'M not the one thinking outside the box here? You're the one that is arguing to stay with the current UI model that has been around for decades, while I'm thinking about possible potential elsewhere that is significantly easier to use. I can really tell you've NEVER used a touchscreen on Windows 7 or 8, as well as not even figuring out how to use it effectively. As someone who is a structural designer, I'm surprised.

[...Sure you can use the mouse, but you have a bloody expensive optional input.

this is where I got the idea you saying that a mouse is an expensive tool... unless you meant something else...

...YES CAD is the sole way of doing architectural drafting works... unless you are talking about a small time company doing kitchen renovation.

I said "cartoons", with quotation marks as opposed to reality...

and you said... "Simply because there is just no need to have a mouse anymore".... which to me is like saying you want to do everything with a swipe.

I did not put words into your mouth.. I just translated them the way I understood them from your own words.

If you can refer me to an EPC company that uses touchscreen for structural designing... send me a link... please.

We can go on forever.. but I rest my case.:geek:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Ok, I think I understand what coke is saying.

My statement still stands. You guys are talking from 2 different perspectives. Seems to me that you are now talking past each other.

Just try to keep in mind that these are all tools that we can add to our tool boxes. And each individual tool has its uses. No evil doer is out to take your mouse away. And no evil doer is out to force you to stop using the touch screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi there
I'm giving up on this thread (probably to the HUGE relief of other posters all round).
We've obviously got here the "Irresistible Force vs the Unmoveable block" syndrome again.

Surely people can understand there are ALL sorts of peripherals around - some suited for certain task while others are used for different ones.

A mouse has value in all sorts of situations(and not only when the Cat feels hungry) while for others Touch is fine -- but EACH in their place.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
I'm giving up on this thread (probably to the HUGE relief of other posters all round).
We've obviously got here the "Irresistible Force vs the Unmoveable block" syndrome again.

Surely people can understand there are ALL sorts of peripherals around - some suited for certain task while others are used for different ones.

A mouse has value in all sorts of situations(and not only when the Cat feels hungry) while for others Touch is fine -- but EACH in their place.

Cheers
jimbo

I'll join you Jimbo and will unsubscribe to this thread. It is getting boring.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I still play starcraft online at bnet. Used to play it on my i7 desktop. But after I got burglarized 3 months ago, I've been playing starcraft on my hp envy x2. How? Plug it into my tv and use a mouse. That's right, an honest to god mouse. SC was designed for the mouse. Neither touchpad nor touchscreen can replace that. And I'm a huge proponent of touchscreen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Lol! I was back finishing where I left off and we had a power outage. Checked with neighbors and everything is out on the block. Had to resort to my Droid using 3G. No way am I going to type it out on this device! Oh well. Some other time I guess.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling