Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't

I own an iPad, which I love dearly. I use it for lots of things -- games, email, browsing the web, social networking, writing, viewing photos and video, and remote accessing my PC. The iPad, like all tablets, is a true jack of all trades and a master of some too.
But, try as I might, I can’t use it for "real" tasks. While it’s fine for writing small-ish articles on, I could never write a novel on it -- and I’ve tried. For some reason, I just can’t connect with typing on a touchscreen in the same way I do when typing on a proper full-size keyboard. And I could never imagine attempting detailed Photoshop work on a touchscreen either (well, not without a fine stylus at least).

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been using a keyboard and mouse combo for so long that the old control method has become part of who I am when working. I sit down in front of my PC and the mouse and keyboard are there, in my hands without my ever really having to think about what I’m doing.

Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't)

Personally I'm looking into getting a touch screen for my desktop PC. I have one of those two-foot deep glass computer desks with the glass slide-out keyboard draws. Since the desk is only two-foot deep and with the draw closed I can get close enough to my screen to use touch. I have no problems with my arms tiring since I've worked construction for many years.

Another factor is that I've always disliked the mouse and use mostly keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking with touch along with a stylus I can throw my mouse away for good. :)

What are your thoughts on the article and/or any scenario of using touch at your desk?

Call me an OC, but I literally yell at people at home and at work who touches and smudges my screen. So, I guess it will be a lot of yelling for me, so, NO thank you.

The only company I know who really pushes all PCs to become touchscreen is the company that makes screen cleaners. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
I used an Acer All in One touchscreen at my office for a couple of weeks. For some things touch is ok, but for everyday use I won't be switching.

Smears on the monitor are terrible
I hate the shiny reflective nature.
Cutting and Pasting is cumbersome.
I hate shifting my hands between the horizontal surface of the keyboard and the vertical surface of the monitor.
Arm gets tired after a few hours or reaching for everything.

That sums it up for me. Thanks for sharing real life experience.

Why would someone use touch to cut and paste?
Who would use touch for hours?
How many touch users do their work on vertical monitors?
Does everyone have greasy fingers?
Can you clean your touch screen with Windex or something?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
If it's not popular now, how is it going to become popular in 2-3 years? It would have been so simple to have left the interface elements of Windows 7 in Windows 8, brought in the underlying improvements and left the MPI as a secondary option for the desktop. Windows 8 would have stormed the ramparts and been declared a resounding success. I can't believe how Microsoft completely misread its userbase and was blindsided by tablets and mobile phones.

OMG! Is this the way your going to go out of this world?! Kicking and screaming all the way?!!....I mean Geez?!!....Why don't they see things my way?!! :( You too, SIW(I don't know you)2. It is what it is!!!......PERIOD!!! I mean get a grip!!! TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING.....Your desktop is OBSOLETE!!! Gone! Nil! Obsolete! Bye bye! Adiós! See ya! Will be gone forever! No return! No coming back!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
If someone can build a nice IPS 27 inch touch display that is nicely and well designed as well as well built that tilts down in a similar fashion as a Wacom touch display (or think drawing easel) along with a Wacom pressure sensitive stylus at 1080p resolution or higher with HDMI input along with a very decent viewing angle and has a matte screen finish, I will freaking buy it and demand them to take my money. Preferably, I'd have it be done by ASUS as I already have mostly an ASUS setup going. :)

Touch on a desktop if done correctly is a VERY ideal situation. The touch AIO PCs aren't that great as a proper touch example as they have very limited tilt range, which isn't what you'd want. Touch on a desktop CANNOT BE DONE in the same way as using a standard LCD monitor and a mouse. It just can't. It's not ergonomic, you have overview the content and not have so much arm movement involved. Having a screen vertically isn't the right way I believe, it has to be more horizontal. THAT is the way I find touch is done on the desktop quite literally.

Then there needs to be the UI enhancements with Windows to make that work. Copy and paste text? Fine tune the software to accurately detect what you're trying to highlight. Have a Radial menu for text editing options (you'd probably hit a little circle with an A or a clipboard which opens up a Radial menu with the copy, cut, paste, mush, eat options) and when copied to the clipboard and when the system finds that the user has hit a text field, that menu shows up again.

But then again, I'm just a paid-by-Microsoft luddite who just preaches things just to preach things. :p:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
If it's not popular now, how is it going to become popular in 2-3 years? It would have been so simple to have left the interface elements of Windows 7 in Windows 8, brought in the underlying improvements and left the MPI as a secondary option for the desktop. Windows 8 would have stormed the ramparts and been declared a resounding success. I can't believe how Microsoft completely misread its userbase and was blindsided by tablets and mobile phones.

OMG! Is this the way your going to go out of this world?! Kicking and screaming all the way?!!....I mean Geez?!!....Why don't they see things my way?!! :( You too, SIW(I don't know you)2. It is what it is!!!......PERIOD!!! I mean get a grip!!! TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING.....Your desktop is OBSOLETE!!! Gone! Nil! Obsolete! Bye bye! Adiós! See ya! Will be gone forever! No return! No coming back!

Your rant is quite hypocritical. But that's nothing unusual from you and others that keep calling those who don't like the MPI and support the view that there should be options, as Luddites and the like.

I, nor anyone else, is suggesting that things should be done my way, but merely voicing a view that options should be provided. Options that in no way affect Windows 8, but enhance the user experience of those who work on the desktop.

Your post is akin to a childish tantrum, emotional and full of shouting and ranting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

You could make a career as a stand-up comedian.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

You could make a career as a stand-up comedian.

Perhaps I did miss my calling in life, but 8 is what it is. No more. No less. Good night, gentlemen. See you on the morrow. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
flipping mouse....gif
Talking about tedious text manipulation....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It's not our fault that after 20 years, you still haven't mastered selecting things with a mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
With my mouse, I can zoom in and out, scroll up and down-left & right, , move between pages, mute/adjust volume up and down and stop, pause, play and skip music tracks using only one finger at a time WITHOUT moving my wrist. Touchscreens can't do that. And it's a 5 year old wireless mouse from logitech. :geek:

mediaplay_side1.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

It's not our fault that after 20 years, you still haven't mastered selecting things with a mouse.

I've mastered that already a LONG LONG time ago, but still, it is a piddle off when that does happen though on an internet page when you're selecting something and have to scroll pretty far down to get a piece of text. Then at the end, it highlights EVERYTHING the page... :sarc:

With touch, I haven't really had that issue since there are pretty decent text selecting handles there to select text. When it's on a small touchscreen, that's where it can get tedious. On a larger screen with Word 2013 let's say, it's a lot more nicer to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
With my mouse, I can zoom in and out, scroll up and down-left & right, , move between pages, mute/adjust volume up and down and stop, pause, play and skip music tracks using only one finger at a time WITHOUT moving my wrist. Touchscreens can't do that. And it's a 5 year old wireless mouse from logitech. :geek:

View attachment 20498

The way technology is going, all of that probably might get done with hand gestures.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

View attachment 20498

The way technology is going, all of that probably might get done with hand gestures.

You probably missed the point.
I don't need to move my entire hand or bend my wrist with all the task I listed above using this mouse... just one finger at time. This is technology in it's purest and simplest form minus the fanciness. This is actually the extension of my hand controlling the screen without lifting a finger. It's like my eyes are doing the job for me. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

This is why touch is better for some, robot hands haven't quite reached the point of dexterity of human hands:

tumblr_lqj89pfgA81qcu42bo1_500.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

View attachment 20498

You probably missed the point.
I don't need to move my entire hand or bend my wrist with all the task I listed above using this mouse... just one finger at time. This is technology in it's purest and simplest form minus the fanciness. This is actually the extension of my hand controlling the screen without lifting a finger. It's like my eyes are doing the job for me. :cool:

Meh, hand gestures are cooler. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
If someone can build a nice IPS 27 inch touch display that is nicely and well designed as well as well built that tilts down in a similar fashion as a Wacom touch display (or think drawing easel) along with a Wacom pressure sensitive stylus at 1080p resolution or higher with HDMI input along with a very decent viewing angle and has a matte screen finish, I will freaking buy it and demand them to take my money. Preferably, I'd have it be done by ASUS as I already have mostly an ASUS setup going. :)

this coming from the guy who I don't think has bought 8, or a surface, or a Nokia 920. Lots of talk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

this coming from the guy who I don't think has bought 8, or a surface, or a Nokia 920. Lots of talk.

I already have 8, don't need a Surface Pro right now, and waiting for the Nokia Lumia EOS that is expected to be released this summer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I own an iPad, which I love dearly. I use it for lots of things -- games, email, browsing the web, social networking, writing, viewing photos and video, and remote accessing my PC. The iPad, like all tablets, is a true jack of all trades and a master of some too.
But, try as I might, I can’t use it for "real" tasks. While it’s fine for writing small-ish articles on, I could never write a novel on it -- and I’ve tried. For some reason, I just can’t connect with typing on a touchscreen in the same way I do when typing on a proper full-size keyboard. And I could never imagine attempting detailed Photoshop work on a touchscreen either (well, not without a fine stylus at least).

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been using a keyboard and mouse combo for so long that the old control method has become part of who I am when working. I sit down in front of my PC and the mouse and keyboard are there, in my hands without my ever really having to think about what I’m doing.

Do consumers really want touchscreen PCs? (Because I don't)

Personally I'm looking into getting a touch screen for my desktop PC. I have one of those two-foot deep glass computer desks with the glass slide-out keyboard draws. Since the desk is only two-foot deep and with the draw closed I can get close enough to my screen to use touch. I have no problems with my arms tiring since I've worked construction for many years.

Another factor is that I've always disliked the mouse and use mostly keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking with touch along with a stylus I can throw my mouse away for good. :)

What are your thoughts on the article and/or any scenario of using touch at your desk?

I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding the word "option" combined with "touchscreen". Look, just because there's a touchscreen doesn't mean you have to throw away your mouse and use the touchscreen for photoshop.

Look, when the mouse came out, did you have to give up your keyboard to only use the mouse? No, of course not. The keyboard was still very helpful. It still is. Now that we have touchscreen, it sure beats the mouse or the keyboard in certain tasks. But we still type a lot faster with a keyboard, and we still copy and paste blocks of texts and work with autocad and photoshop a lot better with a mouse.

I don't understand this false dilemma that people are coming up with. Why do we have to give up the mouse or the keyboard because we have touchscreen now? I don't get that. Can someone smarter than me please explain to me why you think just because we have the touchscreen that we have to abandon the mouse?

Is this the same mentality that because I can marry my long time partner that your marriage will be somehow magically ruined?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi there
This debate is already verging on the ridiculous

I think the Brits have the word for this -- "Horses for Courses". Nothing wrong if you want to have a touch screen -- could make sense on a laptop -- but if you've got two or three say even not so huge LCD screens -- say 30 inch ones -- you still would (or definitely SHOULD) need to sit too far away from these monitors to make touch of no use at all (to say nothing of having horrible finger marks all over the screens).

On a smallish laptop screen it could be of use if you are using the laptop rather more like a tablet -- just surfing the net / pinching etc to re-size text etc. However Touch does not mean that traditional mouse and keyboard won't be available -- it's just an EXTRA feature that I'm sure isn't of major significance for people who work primarily with a classical desktop and standard windows applications.

So I can't really see the point of this discussion -- It's not an EITHER OR choice at all. For Large screens if you had something like a laser pencil then that type of "touch" might be of some use but I can only really see touch being of use on laptops / tablets / mobile phones in normal circumstances.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB