Dell Venue 8 Pro - does anybody have one

It is supposed to have GNSS which is a superset of GPS. The real problem is that there is no really good navigation software for Windows like there is for Android where they have tons.
It depends what you mean by good. The 2 Windows packages I have personally used, MS Street & Trips (2013 version currently on sale for $20) and the DeLorme Street Atlas are both head and shoulders above anything I have seen in the Android world, especially in regards to route planning. Here's a link for a free 14-day trial of Streets & Trips

The issue seems to be that the built-in GPS hardware in the Win 8 tablets has a new interface (doesn't use a COM port) and I'm not aware of any windows software that is updated to use the new interface. Microsoft Does It Again? | Geoff Coupe's Blog

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
Madcratebuilder - Are you sure it has a GPS? Everything I have read says that the V8P does not have GPS and that only the future LTE models will include GPS since it is built-in to that chipset.

I've run that "My GPS Location" app on Win 8.1 on a VM that I know for a fact does not have GPS. The app doesn't report that there is no GPS installed, it simply uses location info via the wifi. On mine, it isn't very accurate since it reports my current location as approximately 1.5 miles north of my actual location.

After playing with it and seeing it's only accurate to 5k meters I agree no GPS. They go out of way to make it appear it gps. It would be interesting to see what it reports when you are out in the boonies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenova Flex 15
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Itel 4400
    Hard Drives
    ssd
    Browser
    IE
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB

Numerous Win 7 machines
Thanks Bruce. Another sad Microsoft story. As the man says:

The left hand of Microsoft clearly has no clue what the right hand is doing.

Maybe I buy the new Nexus 7 after all (I left my old N7 in Europe). At least I know that works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It is supposed to have GNSS which is a superset of GPS. The real problem is that there is no really good navigation software for Windows like there is for Android where they have tons.
It depends what you mean by good. The 2 Windows packages I have personally used, MS Street & Trips (2013 version currently on sale for $20) and the DeLorme Street Atlas are both head and shoulders above anything I have seen in the Android world, especially in regards to route planning. Here's a link for a free 14-day trial of Streets & Trips

Interestingly this version comes with a "GPS locator" @ 50$ that plugs in your laptop.

Review here;
Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 with GPS Locator Review & Rating | PCMag.com

359248-microsoft-gps-locator-streets-trips-2013[1].jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
Looks like this is the way they are trying to get around the new interface problems - what a shambles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
GPS Software Shim

Centrafuse have developed a "software shim" that couples the GPS data that is delivered through the new Windows 8 Location APIs to the legacy virtual COM ports that software such as Streets & Trips still use.

See Centrafuse Inc. - Centrafuse Localizer. It is designed to output sensor data to a virtual comm port.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuild
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RAdeon HD 7750
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Looks like the "shim" has a loose fit, from the bottom of the Centrafuse Localizer page:

Limitations:

The number of active satellites and signal strength is simulated. It DOES NOT represent the quality of the actual GPS/GNSS signal and is provided for protocol compatability only.
The Windows location platform is limited to a 1hz refresh rate (once a second). At higher rates of speed, the displayed map position may lag behind the actual vehicle position.
Under NO circumstances should this product be used for precision navigation. It is provided "as-is", and intended for recreational use only. No warranty is given or implied as to the accuracy or availability of location information.

If it can't be used for precision navigation then I'm not sure what good it would be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
That's not the shim - that's the result of Microsoft's design of the Windows 8 Lcation APIs... The GPS APIs are the ugly sisters of the Sensor family. They are not even deemed worthy of a mention in this Microsoft article:

Choosing the right sensor

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuild
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RAdeon HD 7750
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Why place so much importance on gps in a tablet? Maybe I'm missing something. I have gps in my cars along with onstar, gps in my pocket with my SG3, do I need it in my tablet...nah. I know where I am and where I'm going.

I spent 8-10 hours with the Venue this weekend, runs as expected, excellent battery life, fast considering it runs windoze. Better than expected wifi reception. Certainly more versatile then my KHD pro or Chromebook.

ETA: Odd that the site auto corrects my spelling of windows when I type w I n d o z e.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenova Flex 15
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Itel 4400
    Hard Drives
    ssd
    Browser
    IE
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB

Numerous Win 7 machines
Anyone purchase the venue 11 yet and reviews please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
The 8 is a bit too small for what i need it for

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Why place so much importance on gps in a tablet? Maybe I'm missing something. I have gps in my cars along with onstar, gps in my pocket with my SG3, do I need it in my tablet...nah. I know where I am and where I'm going.

I spent 8-10 hours with the Venue this weekend, runs as expected, excellent battery life, fast considering it runs windoze. Better than expected wifi reception. Certainly more versatile then my KHD pro or Chromebook.

ETA: Odd that the site auto corrects my spelling of windows when I type w I n d o z e.

You are being spoiled with an array of equipment. But I have only the tab for navigation - no phone, no On-Star, no other navigation equipment. And in that case, GPS becomes an important feature.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Everyone has their own requirements for what they want in a tablet and no one can say that another persons want or need is valid or not. Some want GPS, some want to take handwritten notes, some want to be able to run legacy Windows apps while others want a smaller or larger screen. All are valid and that's why it's great that we have choices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
IMHO 8" Windows 8.1 tablets are a good buy right now if you can get them on sale, I believe the 32GB Venue 8 Pro was $199 on Black Friday.

For 10" and up Windows 8.1 tablets just wait till Intel gets 64-Bit drivers ready before buying a bigger Windows 8.1 tablet since most of the current Atom tablets with Windows 8.1 (full not RT) only have 2GB ram and are all only running 32-Bit OS's ATM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
IMHO 8" Windows 8.1 tablets are a good buy right now if you can get them on sale, I believe the 32GB Venue 8 Pro was $199 on Black Friday.

That was the price for the Android version. The Windows 8 version was $299 but Dell included the sleeve which was worth $40.

They wanted to give me an extra $50 off if I refrained from returning it - but I returned it half an hour ago - although $249 with the sleeve would have been a good price. Without GPS or GNSS and no working navigation applications it is less useful for me. Will just wait or get the new Nexus 7 (left my old Nexus 7 in Europe).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Pass the 32gb version ..not enough for W8....With 64gb I have only 27gb free after one week. you can also use the sd card for another 32.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
I wish they would not even offer the 32 gb version. It's too small. When you go to upgrade to 8.2, it will probably not have enough space for the Windows.old folder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Back