Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?

[h=1]
Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?[/h] Summary: Criticize or evangelize: some love it but many hate it: Windows 8. Dear readers, what changes would you make before you are swayed into buying Microsoft's latest offering?

By Zack Whittaker for Between the Lines
August 23, 2012 -- 12:28 GMT (05:28 PDT)

Windows 8 has been called many things: a "design disaster," an "unmitigated disaster," and even been likened to Vista, which is perhaps a little harsh. That said, it has also dubbed a "fresh start" for Microsoft.

The code is final, the hardware and computer makers have the finalized software, and ordinary users and enterprise customers will receive the updated Microsoft operating system later this year in October.

Yet many customers are wary over purchasing licenses or upgrading to Windows 8 in fear that the new interface is too confusing. That's the crux of the matter: people like to know where things are and on the most part do not like radical change.

In one real-life, hands-on demonstration of the barriers faced by ordinary users, Chris Pirillo sat his father down at a fresh install of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (which has since been released to manufacturing albeit with a pretty weak 'tutorial') and left him to his own devices. It's painful to watch, but it rounds-up exactly how many feel about the design of the new operating system.

more

Night hawk said:
rather then follow up a success story with 7
Yet another point to demonstrate how moronic the actual decisions at Microsoft are. W7 was the first OS in a decade which was accepted without problem almost universaly. You'd think they would continue in that direction? Nope. They took the opposite route. They decide to discontinue a product that works and eerybody is happy about, to launch another product that almost everybody hates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
This is awesome! So cool! It's the future!

desk7.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Night hawk said:
rather then follow up a success story with 7
Yet another point to demonstrate how moronic the actual decisions at Microsoft are. W7 was the first OS in a decade which was accepted without problem almost universaly. You'd think they would continue in that direction? Nope. They took the opposite route. They decide to discontinue a product that works and eerybody is happy about, to launch another product that almost everybody hates.

There does seem to be quite a bit of hindsight in the decisions being made for 8 to consider when you look back at the Windows history. Now ME was labeled their first big flop but why? No MS Dos mode you could shut down to and still based on Fat? Vista was Windows growing too big in size and incorrect system requirements along with the lack of 3rd party support sounds familiar to what the XP Pro x64 and now 8 is seeing to some extent.

For OEM laptops and desktops they wouldn't be caring about any updates for any XP, Vista, or 7 model since 8 will be bringing in the touchscreen options! But when NVidia and AMD/AIT are both ssslowwwww... Alarm bells go off for most running into driver issues and even that ends up being another source of frustration turning people away from any newer version.

The 7 launch of a working OS after the reluctance seen by many for Vista to be followed by a total nightmare called 8 would seem to be something other companies would want to "Avoid at all costs"! Not MS however! There's apparently so much focus on what the fruit company is doing and their latest triumph over Samsung it seems they forgot what a desktop OS is! Where'e the rationality? one could ask!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
mdmd said:
Yes, it is the future indeed. The Metro Start Screen, inspired from AOL terminal and game consoles of the 80's is realy a thing of the past. As for attempting to place Widows Phone OS on Desktop PC's, in less than 3 months it will be history. Now try to open the same number of apps of similar sophistication on Metro and try to work with them in an efficient manner. With no taskbar, no resize, no minimize, no caption... I wish you Good Luck! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
mdmd said:
Yes, it is the future indeed. The Metro Start Screen, inspired from AOL terminal and game consoles of the 80's is realy a thing of the past. As for attempting to place Widows Phone OS on Desktop PC's, in less than 3 months it will be history. Now try to open the same number of apps of similar sophistication on Metro and try to work with them in an efficient manner. With no taskbar, no resize, no minimize, no caption... I wish you Good Luck! :D

I'm sure he'll have fun trying to work things out once he gets going! (right and Ma Pillsbury just came out with a new muffin mix! :rolleyes: )

Some will "love" and MOST WILL HATE! the way MS upset the Apple cart when they had something going with 7 and then went off into "Mystery Land" off on some lame excursion! The OEMs have picked up on what will happen if they don't step in and do their own thing as far as seeing their own version of a "Normal" Start button and menu brought back in!

For all those who would complain about OEM bloatwares they should now see that will be what saves the day as the OEMs want to see their new machines sell to a hesistant audience! They are going out of their way to replace what MS yanked out.

I can only syphasize with the developers who warked hard on seeing the core elements and security factors improved only to see the main gui trashed and 8 going down in flames as a large flop as just how most will see it!

If they had only learned the lesson 7 taught and worked from there to following a working path you would be seeing something of an eye catcher not an eye of despise as people simply get "turned off" from the radical thrash of the OS!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
The first thing I would add is an option to disable Metro. I know for a fact that thousands of people including myself will never use it. It's the new Media Center. It's there but nobody cares which is why Microsoft has put it front and center, forcing us to use it to their benefit(app store, etc).

Along with disabling Metro the Start menu needs to come back from the dead. Not only does the desktop look broken without a Start button, productivity for anyone using a keyboard and mouse is terrible. It is nothing more than a deliberate confusing mess.

Next would be to bring back Aero Glass because Windows 8 reminds me of Windows 3.1. They have managed to suck every bit of life from Vista and 7 for NO REASON. Not all of us are concerned with battery life. Mac OSX has the right amount of subtlety while it also manages to keep gloss and polish. Seriously, did the Windows team forget about gradients and shadows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 560Ti ES
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    640GB Western Digital
    PSU
    Antec 620w
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 5
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212+
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
I think the MS Windows team took a siesta in the highlands or something! 8 is geared too heavily on the mobile and touchscreen market without thought of the stranded desktop user! As far as the Media Center that was added in following the 2005 XP MC edition and wasn't too popular.

The stripping away of dvd and video playback support in WMP on the other hand will be noticed! Since WMP 10 for XP support has always been sumething that came with Windows not simply abandoned. Many still opt to see WMP as the default player in Windows even if they have others!

The irony of 8 is that 8 is geared too heavy on mobile but lacks on mobility to move about within the OS! You now only see some Control Panel items in a right menu in the same corner you hover for the Start screen without even knowing about the menu as well as other functions lost in some search and find mystery tool bar that comes up at the wrong time because you just happen to move the cursor towards something else nearby?!

The normal Start orb and Programs menu wasn't simply a list of programs but included all accesssories, link off to the Control Panel, network, and of course ease of access to shutdown, restart, sleep, hibernate, or simply logoff one account to log into another all in one place. Now you climb walls trying to find this or that with all the extra steps.

The OEMs taking the initiative to develop their own Start helps while those will also still lack the properties with a right click to change the Start menu appearance as links or folders, customize the System Tray as far as which icons will show or be hidden, and a few other options like where you want the task bar. top, bottom, left, or right.

You can still right click on the task bar itself however while what about which option will be set as the default for the shutdown button now no longer seen? Security improved, usuability sucks, hardware detection improved, driver support unavailable still!, and what about backward compatibility?

Now see what is extended to all those older game titles while blog writers rave on about performance for gaming? Too many titles are DX9 driven while many still ran with DX10 and 11 where you could still add DX9 on when the game installer required it. OpenGL is out with 8 as well! Better gaming?

Why would any seriious gamer want to toss several older titles with a few new simply to now only be able to run the few new and not any other? oops! So far most desktop apps still run showing that area covered to an extent. Driver support for older OEM machines? Don't expect to see it with 8 since OEMs will be bringing out all new pcs desktops, laptops, Tablets embedded with 8 and soon to discontinue older Vista and 7 models for the fast turnover.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info

Your picture is rediculously over done to make a point, but it's your text that screams volumes.

OSes are NOT supposed to be "Cool", "Awesome" or "Futuristic" They are supposed to facilitate you getting stuff done!

Metro IS Cool, Awesome and Futuristic, AND TOTALY USELESS. Well useless for doing anything other than playing sudoku while huge towering ads blast at you from the sides of your 24 in monitor... If that's the future, then screw the future...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
I believe an Operating System is a work of art and technical expertise. They have an architecture (the code) of high sophistication that is compiled to address the hardware which allows users to apply their talents to their needs. A Personal Computer is more than a microwave oven. It is a totally cool piece of equipment that is highly customizable. A Computer is not a hammer or wrench. The extreme complexity of the CPU and how it is made to be a productive tool for anyone and everyone is amazing.

A serious desktop professional is not more important than a hobbyist. A student doing homework, writing reports, playing a game on the side, accessing the internet, is no less important than a systems analyst configuring Windows Server. Enterprise is not superior to home use. An Operating System is truly an awesome creation. They are totally cool and can be customized to enhance the experience.

How about "alienware" or hot boxes painted orange. They have laptops colored in pink for the girls. Super Charged Graphics Cards (that cost more than some computers) for gamers.

As for metro apps being usable, I think we are at version .0014

Windows 8 Desktop

desk8_1.jpg

Windows 8 Desktop

desk8_2.jpg

Start Windows 8

desk8_3.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
That aside, many have a dislike of commercial interest. Windows is planet wide. It is interesting that there are not more Operating Systems available from other companies. Why only Microsoft and Apple?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Night Hawks said:
the OEMs want to see their new machines sell to a hesistant audience! They are going out of their way to replace what MS yanked out.
Even worse off: There will be instance when what has disapeared or what has appeared (Metro UI) will seriousely impede the hardware functionality or incompatible with some drivers. IMO we are just at the beginning of a great show!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Cost and compatibility issues

That aside, many have a dislike of commercial interest. Windows is planet wide. It is interesting that there are not more Operating Systems available from other companies. Why only Microsoft and Apple?

That depends on what parameters you are using to frame your question.
The answers are software cost, software incompatibility and backwards compatibility.

There are a ridiculous number of Linux distros available.
Most software that runs on one distro will actually run on many of the others, without modification.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Well, I was wondering why, all over the world, with all the engineers out there in 100 countries, the only general purpose Operating Systems that sell in the millions of copies each, were designed by Steve Jobs and Bill Gates? > ... If applications can be written that are compatible > not operating systems? > copyrights perhaps > Do they have a global monopoly? It's a spooky topic.
< end message >

Linux is way too cryptic. And talk about unfriendly... whoa. I used a VAX system (UNIX) at school, and many distros of Linux. Compared to the critics of 8 and metro, I am definitely in the camp of disliking any version of UNIX. I have been trying Linux, with every new version, but they have never appealed to me.

How would I change or improve Windows 8?
I wish we could apply any wallpaper to the start screen as we can do to the desktop.
A frivolous point maybe, as we can with the desktop, for home use, maybe even animated wallpaper.
How about a waterfall behind those tiles?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

That depends on what parameters you are using to frame your question.
The answers are software cost, software incompatibility and backwards compatibility.

Most software that runs on one distro will actually run on many of the others, without modification.

Solaris is another retail OS not heard much of being server orientated. Bill Gates came up with the Desktop OS concept while Steve Jobs came up with the Desktop computer concept for the gui type OS to go onto! These have been the two main competitors until Google decided to play the OS game.

As far as the endless Linux flavors not all things run on all flavors of that OS. Debian and ubuntu are not compatible with each other as Mephis would be something else. Mandrake formerly Mandriva is another Red Hat not compatible with others. The list there goes on and on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
What about if the Metro UI was not a separate area on non-mobile PC's but rather an overlay on top of the desktop? I was just thinking about this solution and created this quick mock-up in Photoshop.

Windows8ReThought.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 560Ti ES
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    640GB Western Digital
    PSU
    Antec 620w
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 5
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212+
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
while huge towering ads blast at you from the sides of your 24 in monitor... If that's the future, then screw the future...

Funny how I can use a NEWS App in Metro and only see the news I'm interested in and no Ads whatsoever, and yet if I try to use my browser to see the same news there are Ads splattered all over the place. The only Ads in Apps are those found in FREE Ad supported Apps and usually there is a full version you can buy with no Ads. There are also plenty of Apps that are free and have no Ads at all. I guess when you start to exhaust all the negatives of Windows 8 you start to make things up to keep the complaints going.

That kind of fragmentation is the reason why it's failing to or never will become a general user OS. Your average user will get confused by it and companies like Adobe will never support that many flavors of an OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
What about if the Metro UI was not a separate area on non-mobile PC's but rather an overlay on top of the desktop? I was just thinking about this solution and created this quick mock-up in Photoshop.

View attachment 8351

I doubt you would see much more then a web page applied to the desktop directly. Onscreen keyboards and desktop shortcuts in addition to programs like RocketDock will be what you would see for some time.

The "Modern" as the word goes not Metro since MS has dumped the name is a part of the shell but is simply removed from displaying with the desktop button. MS was trying to clever with that but it doesn't quite work out the same way as the show desktop button.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Night Hawks said:
the OEMs want to see their new machines sell to a hesistant audience! They are going out of their way to replace what MS yanked out.
Even worse off: There will be instance when what has disapeared or what has appeared (Metro UI) will seriousely impede the hardware functionality or incompatible with some drivers. IMO we are just at the beginning of a great show!

:huh: How will Metro impede with the drivers or hardware??????????

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
Two things....

1. Make an option to select Metro or Desktop at the start(boot).
2. Instead of a start button on the desktop have an All Programs button that already exists on the metro screen with a right mouse click.

....:sarc: That should do it for me. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
1. Make an option to select Metro or Desktop at the start(boot).

I doubt that'll ever happen. The OS is a totally new design. eg, Windows Explorer doesn't exist any longer. It's File Explorer. It's basically an app like all the other MS apps. So is the desktop. It's a portal that runs old legacy software. It's treated just like an app. 2nd in line.

2. Instead of a start button on the desktop have an All Programs button that already exists on the metro screen with a right mouse click.

Right click anywhere on an empty space in the Start Screen. All apps bar/button appears, although it would be nice to have it on a tile I think would be a good idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling