Continues Errors at startup "Metadata staging failed"

I will add my 2 cents.

I continue to have this problem right along with the rest. My primary desktop PC is still on 8.1, I have been using the alternate link (saammy's link) for many months with no issues and any attempt to reinsert the original link results in many metadata errors.

I also had this problem on my secondary PC (laptop), and used the alternate link for months as well and the alt link was in place when I did the upgrade to W10 with no apparent issues from the alt link. After the W10 upgrade the alt link was still in place. Once again, any attempt to reinsert the original link on this now W10 OS results in many metadata errors so I continue to use the alt link on both systems.

Congratulations Saammy on you newborn, that's wonderful. I hope all is well with everyone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
Hello everybody,
I left my contact at Microsoft a message that we will stand before the same problem as in September 2014. I think that I will receive feedback during the next week. It's interesting that Microsoft until towards the 3 Level Support this problem can not really pinpoint. As always in such a large company, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
I let you know when I have new information.

Greetings
Saammy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thank you for your assistance

Thank you so much saammy, your assistance is very much appreciated. I have been on to them constantly since 6th May and given them every infinite detail they have requested. They have acknowledged the error and expressed 'the major concern' they have but I have got no further than promises and now I am talking to deaf ears, they are choosing to ignore my emails.

I am sure your contact will prove more helpful, we all appreciate your input.

Thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just to keep you all up to date - I am still persisting at my end - I emailed Microsoft again on Tuesday, once gain, I am afraid to report that I have not had a response.:cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hi guys, so i went to my local best buy and I went over to the computer department and restarted 8 different computers and they all had the 131 error and warning 200,201,202.. How is it possible that sooo many computers have this issue that has been dragging since 8.1 and still have it.. Microsoft please fix this problem asap

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    asus rampage v extreme x99
    Memory
    16 gb corsair ddr4 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gtx titan x
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
Well just to keep you all up to date - As you all know I have always said I would continue to stay on my toes with this. My emails to Microsoft Level 3 were no longer receiving responses ! drastic action required, I took the liberty of sending the forum notes and my comments to the CEO directly.

Well well, A response from a different Level 3 Engineer vi email and a promised call back this morning: Outcome 'Bleak'

Firstly despite what I read on all the forums about this issue being present in Windows 10 and deterring me from upgrading, Microsoft are 'adamant' this issue is not present in Windows 10.

Windows 8 and 8.1 users, there is little hope for us at present unless Saammy can work magic with his own contact as he did last September.

The message I received was:

Microsoft are aware of this issue on their server
They believe it has no impact on the Users Operating Systems

The Back End Team are aware of it and will be addressing this in the future but it will involve considerable time, research and checking and a time cannot be given on a fix. The servers need to be checked, Urls need to be checked, coding etc. etc. etc.

My comment back was quite simply that in September 2014 Saammy reported this issue to his contact and in 3 days the server issue was fixed.

We have all seen this error since I first contacted Microsoft on 6th May and still no resolve.

I will keep on with this but hope Saammy will once again step in and try and get in touch with his 'little miracle worker' at Microsoft.

The release of Windows 10 should not mean Windows 8/8.1 users are shelved and ignored.

I for one will not be upgrading and paying for an Operating System that may or may not work better than the one I have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Really, fixed in Windows 10, i think not, just checked still about 6 in one day of metadata errors 131. So you Windows 8/8.1 users are in same boat as ones who upgraded. Thanks Amtino for working hard at trying to resolve this issue with MS. Obvious this is not an important to them to fix since amount of time it has been, even telling you it isn't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Thank you

Thank you for your confirmation that you are one of many Windows 10 users who still see this error, I will forward this information to Microsoft.

Kind Regards

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Ok guys i went to a 2nd best buy store in Tampa Florida and the employees probably think I'm crazy but I don't care, I restarted each and every laptop running Windows 10 and 8.1 and they all have the error 131.. This is a huge and I mean huge wide spread issue!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    asus rampage v extreme x99
    Memory
    16 gb corsair ddr4 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gtx titan x
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
Thank you for your confirmation that you are one of many Windows 10 users who still see this error, I will forward this information to Microsoft.

Kind Regards

Your Welcome and thank you !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Hi guys, so i went to my local best buy and I went over to the computer department and restarted 8 different computers and they all had the 131 error and warning 200,201,202.. How is it possible that sooo many computers have this issue that has been dragging since 8.1 and still have it.. Microsoft please fix this problem asap
I'm not surprised at all. I just upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro (32-bit) and the upgrade reverted the registry URL to the default one that isn't working. Replaced it with the "fixed" URL and no more 131 errors, HOWEVER, I am getting the 200, 201 and 202 warnings after every boot. From what I read in some other forums, that may have something to do with the device update service trying to start before the network become active, but it is not fixed by the new metadata URL, at least in my case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
Greetings from the UK!

I just wanted to add my thanks to Saammy for the advice about changing the URL in the registry. Since upgrading from W7 to W10 a few weeks ago I've been plagued with event id 131 errors and Saammy's advice has solved this for me instantly. What does surprise me is that Saammy first posted this fix exactly 12 months ago and yet staff at Microsoft have yet to correct this problem. Worse still it now transpires that they themselves deny it even exists in Windows 10!

Interestingly earlier today before discovering this forum and the resultant fix I used the 'Get help with this Event ID' look-up service within the event viewer console and guess what....? The Microsoft web page that opened claimed to have no information about this event error! I guess that basically means that Microsoft have yet to look into it. Surely 12 months is long enough isn't it????

Keeps up the good work boys & girls, I'll certainly look back here if I have any further issues.

Many thanks ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home
@amtino

I'm not experiencing these issues myself fella! That said I now have a whole list of other event errors filling my logs! I wish Microsoft would make it easier to find fixes for these flippin issues, we're not all magicians!! :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home
I'm not surprised at all. I just upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro (32-bit) and the upgrade reverted the registry URL to the default one that isn't working. Replaced it with the "fixed" URL and no more 131 errors, HOWEVER, I am getting the 200, 201 and 202 warnings after every boot. From what I read in some other forums, that may have something to do with the device update service trying to start before the network become active, but it is not fixed by the new metadata URL, at least in my case.

getting same as you @RonnieJP
at least they're only yellow exclam warnings , not red ones

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HomeMade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core
    Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150
    Memory
    Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Palit GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Sound Card
    Z97 Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Panasonic TV 1080p TX-L32G20B
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Plextor M6e 256GB M.2-2280 SSD
    PSU
    Thermaltake 630W ATX
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower
    Cooling
    Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid
    Keyboard
    Aula + Razer Tartarus Gamepad
    Mouse
    Razer Abyss
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 2 Unlimited: 80U 20D
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    Win-Defender
    Other Info
    First PC I've built without any ROM /SATA Drives :)
1) this one solution - "In reply to Marcus_83's post on September 15, 2014" ["Right click on Windows logo in the bottom left corner, then select "run" and type "regedit" (without quotes). Click "OK". Regedit will open. Now go to "Edit" (it's in the top left corner of regedit window next to "File"), click on it, and then click on "Find...". Type "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" (again without quotes) then click "Find next". Wait a few seconds and you can now see "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" in the right panel. Right click on "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" and select "Modify...". Copy and paste the new address "http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc" (always without quotes) in place of the old one. Before executing this last passage, you may want to copy the old address and save it in the notepad, in case you should experience any problems (there shouldn't be any at all) and you'd like to revert back to your previous setting. Now close the registry and you are done. Restart system. Event viewer and everything else should be finally fine. Blessings and all the best "] - is good and fixed inner ms issue that not allow redirected URLS; it fix most of issues; 2) also I had remove all inactive devices via devicemanager (view->show hidden devices); and remove all hidden/inactive devices with drivers; 3) then found that USB3.0 use ms driver; so reinstalled eaton drivers from gigabyte site, still wrong ms driver, so reinstalled in cimpatibility with win 8 and all installed fine; MS not able to retest and keep fresh DB of all drivers, etc; and sometimes older driver work more better under 8 or 10 windows; sometimes ms provide very bad and unusable drivers (for example under win10 I installed beta driver for AMD hd7870 because updated driver by ms was wrong and had terrible perfomance in apps with hardware acceleration; and it's wide ms issue, that often appears in win7 and for other VGA card AMD and NVIDIA); so my advice: - manually update drivers from offsite of MB manufacturers and from AMD/NVIDIA/intel sites; - if device old and had not driver for win 10(or 8 etc) setup it in compatibility mode...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thank you for your input

Thank you for that, I think most of us on the forum have accepted that we have to change the url if we do not want to be flooded with event id 131 errors. Most of us have been using this since last September 2014 in fact this Microsoft Blunder celebrated its 'first birthday 'yesterday.

I think that says it all really, I am continuing to work with the Level 3 Engineer and ill keep you all posted. In the mean time as stated by Microsoft themselves ' the url change is a 'temporary work a round' and not a solution and making changes to the registry we all do at our own risk for our own benefit. Microsoft are not happy we are doing this but it does not seem to encouraging them to get on with a real fix at present......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I'm also getting this error message with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (not an upgrade) on my new Skylake PC. I haven't tried editing DeviceMetadataServiceURL yet, does this cause any problems other than filling my logs with errors?

Just checked my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet that I upgraded from Windows 8.1, and it has the same error. I thought perhaps since I login with a Microsoft ID for my tablet (but not for my desktop), and it was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 there might be a difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5-6600k
    Motherboard
    MSI PC Mate Z170A
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
A bit of context. I'm the QPW_Test who's post about the problem still being in the release version of Windows 10, was referenced by amtino a couple months ago.

I'm revisiting this problem since I had some time on my hands and I thought I would look into some of the errors in my event log.
As you can guess, the problem has not been fixed. Except for two Virtual machines XP and 8.1, all my machines are Windows 10 now.

I jumped into the middle of this thread and started reading to the end, but of course I knew the result before starting, but the contact amtino had seemed so promising!

Anyway I'm posting to just to put a bit of perspective on this. It is all well and good that we try to get Microsoft to clean up their act, but I have to really tell you that I have actually not found any real problem caused by these errors. As in I have certainly received driver updates.
I suspect what happens is that it fails to connect on say the first time, but it eventually gets the connection and works OK.
You will also note that the time that these errors are usually logged is at times like start up. Well it is certainly possible that these services are attempting to connect before the network is fully "plumbed", or other timing issues due to stopping and starting things.
Another thing that I notice in my logs is that there seems to be a lot of errors that are logged around the time I log off/on or lock/sleep my computer.

This really tends to make me believe that none of these problems are "real". It is more that Microsoft just isn't doing a good job on startup/shutdown sequencing.

Also the system I'm currently on is a clean build of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and the Device Install Service and the Windows Time services are already setup to manual and using the local service account (I didn't change them). But it seems to me in this suggestion to change them people don't really understand that these services where never meant to be set to something like automatic and be running all the time.
There is in fact a long line of scheduled tasks that start things, and they will start these tasks as they need them. So short of disabling them they are going to run when requested (and they shouldn't be running all the time). Manual doesn't mean "user" started.

P.S. other "errors" like I have one for SChannel, have also remained unchanged from Windows 8/8.1 and maybe all the way back to Windows 7. Again they don't seem to actually cause any problems. There do seem to be some new ones in Windows 10 for the XBoxApp and such "apps" hanging/dying from time to time.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm also getting this error message with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (not an upgrade) on my new Skylake PC. I haven't tried editing DeviceMetadataServiceURL yet, does this cause any problems other than filling my logs with errors?

Just checked my Dell Venue Pro 8 tablet that I upgraded from Windows 8.1, and it has the same error. I thought perhaps since I login with a Microsoft ID for my tablet (but not for my desktop), and it was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 there might be a difference.

No the errors are in no way harmful, as you say they just create a rather large error log. Modifying the url will ensure the errors cease. This is merely a timing issue at the Microsoft server end. The tasks do complete but not fast enough therefore generating the error a millisecond before the task does complete. This has happened twice in a year, Microsoft fixed it in September 2014 but now seem reluctant to do anything positive.

You can rest in peace and leave the registry but see all the nasty errors building up in your log, if this doesn't bother you, then leave well alone. I think this is a personal preference issue at resent.
Personally I keep a clean system and do not like to see errors unless I know I have done something wrong or tampered with something I shouldn't have .
The fact that I know this is not system related and is a Microsoft issue really irritates me so I am using the direct url and keeping a clean log.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX