Continues Errors at startup "Metadata staging failed"

The tasks do complete but not fast enough therefore generating the error a millisecond before the task does complete. This has happened twice in a year, Microsoft fixed it in September 2014 but now seem reluctant to do anything positive.

I really wonder sometimes about how people view solving problems like this. Why Microsoft didn't just bump up the timeout by a little bit is beyond me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The tasks do complete but not fast enough therefore generating the error a millisecond before the task does complete. This has happened twice in a year, Microsoft fixed it in September 2014 but now seem reluctant to do anything positive.

I really wonder sometimes about how people view solving problems like this. Why Microsoft didn't just bump up the timeout by a little bit is beyond me.

about timing it can be your ISP provider issues (i.e. bad internet connection on your side)
but it's event ids 121 123 etc
we discused 131 issue, somewhere on ms answers dicribed: it's appears when msserver redirect to other ms server url but it's blocked by ms in windows design;
I have changed url and do reinstall of few old drivers in compadibility mode and cleanup hidden unused items from device manager and none of 131 few months... (see my prev post...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi everyone! I have managed to get rid of error 131 and the 200,201,202,203 warnings in Windows 10 without using the url change trick that everyone keeps talking about!! I have 2 computers at home which are now fixed! All I did was go into the time and date settings and changed the Internet time server from the default windows to the second one available called nist. Something (sorry I can't remember the exact name) anyways please try for your selfs and report back... =)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    asus rampage v extreme x99
    Memory
    16 gb corsair ddr4 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gtx titan x
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
If anyone needs better instructions please let me know =)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
I also went into control panel and hardware to try to reproduce error 131 and all is good!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
I will keep an eye on mine before making your change. I have not had the error since 10/2...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I will keep an eye on mine before making your change. I have not had the error since 10/2...

I have changed the time server and all is well. So now we have a further resolution - Thank you hborden727 for sharing this with us.
Did you have any particular updates or changes on 10/2 when yours went away?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I have not done anything and my metadata failed in Event Viewer seems to have gone away now with Windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
I have not done anything and my metadata failed in Event Viewer seems to have gone away now with Windows 10.

Thanks for keeping us updated:

I have been running on the nist.gov time server for 24 hours with no errors - tonight I reverted back to the original url and windows time server and again, no errors.

It would appear the issue 'may have' been fixed. I will keep an eye on it for the net few days. I am guessing this is very recent as I have been checking the url at least once a week and last week it was still producing event ID 131.

Fingers crossed .......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Hi guys and girls! So I did some more research on this error 131.. If i go back to the original windows time server the error is back... So the trick is to stay on the more reliable nist. Time server... Think about this for a second, every single pc sold comes with Windows. Time server as default so the server is going to be slower to react! So nist is the answer! You guys can and should switch back to the default url just in case you don't create an unknown issue further down the line and use the more reliable atomic nist server from the government =) ps:Amtino you are truly amazing, I have been watching you on here for a while and you are truly smart and amazing!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Maingear shift ss x99
    CPU
    intel i7 5820k hexacore
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    webroot
Hi guys and girls! So I did some more research on this error 131.. If i go back to the original windows time server the error is back... So the trick is to stay on the more reliable nist. Time server... Think about this for a second, every single pc sold comes with Windows. Time server as default so the server is going to be slower to react! So nist is the answer! You guys can and should switch back to the default url just in case you don't create an unknown issue further down the line and use the more reliable atomic nist server from the government =) ps:Amtino you are truly amazing, I have been watching you on here for a while and you are truly smart and amazing!

Thank you so much for your kind comments, it is appreciated.

I am testing at present as follows:

reverted back to Windows Time Server
reverted back to the correct url in the registry

I have no errors at present and if I refresh the Hardware and Devices Page - no errors.

My OS is Windows 8 - IE10

I will keep the page updated with any findings.

As you know 'anything can happen'

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton

Thanks for keeping us updated:

I have been running on the nist.gov time server for 24 hours with no errors - tonight I reverted back to the original url and windows time server and again, no errors.

It would appear the issue 'may have' been fixed. I will keep an eye on it for the net few days. I am guessing this is very recent as I have been checking the url at least once a week and last week it was still producing event ID 131.

Fingers crossed .......

Your welcome, i checked again today still no ID 131. Now if i can figure some of others i get,some are warnings, few errors, too long to list or know what they mean, but i do believe it has nothing to do with this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Just to let you all know as promised - I have finally, after many months, received confirmation from Microsoft that all issues with the timeserver and Event ID 131 have now been resolved:

I have reverted back to the correct url in the registry:

I have tested this on 2 systems for 5 days:
I have used both the windows and nist time servers as some members felt the nist.gov time server was a resolution.

I have been unable to reproduce the Metadata Staging error with either server.

I have refreshed the hardware and devices page manually several times and booted and rebooted the systems several times per day.

I am happy at my end that the issue is resolved for now.

I am sorry it took so long.

I have received comments via another forum that it is not fixed for Windows 10 users, sorry but I do not know why this should be the case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just to let you all know as promised - I have finally, after many months, received confirmation from Microsoft that all issues with the timeserver and Event ID 131 have now been resolved
I have received comments via another forum that it is not fixed for Windows 10 users, sorry but I do not know why this should be the case.
Sorry I shortened your quoted post Amtino, but I just wanted to ask your opinion. I had this issue on Windows 8.1 and replaced the original registry URL with the "corrected" one. When I upgraded to Windows 10, it changed the registry URL back to the original and I got the 131 errors. So I changed the URL and it's been working fine and I never looked back. so I haven't taken the time to go back to the original URL to test it. Do you think there's any harm in using the "new" URL going forward?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
Just to let you all know as promised - I have finally, after many months, received confirmation from Microsoft that all issues with the timeserver and Event ID 131 have now been resolved
Sorry I shortened your quoted post Amtino, but I just wanted to ask your opinion. I had this issue on Windows 8.1 and replaced the original registry URL with the "corrected" one. When I upgraded to Windows 10, it changed the registry URL back to the original and I got the 131 errors. So I changed the URL and it's been working fine and I never looked back. so I haven't taken the time to go back to the original URL to test it. Do you think there's any harm in using the "new" URL going forward?

No not at all - all that happens here is that you are using the direct url to connect to the Microsoft Server as apposed to using the original url which is a forwarding link connecting to the same server.

Both 'should' work. Our issue was the original forwarding url was failing. As of today it is working.

You should not see Error 131 with either url.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Just to let you all know as promised - I have finally, after many months, received confirmation from Microsoft that all issues with the timeserver and Event ID 131 have now been resolved:

I have reverted back to the correct url in the registry:

I have tested this on 2 systems for 5 days:
I have used both the windows and nist time servers as some members felt the nist.gov time server was a resolution.

I have been unable to reproduce the Metadata Staging error with either server.

I have refreshed the hardware and devices page manually several times and booted and rebooted the systems several times per day.

I am happy at my end that the issue is resolved for now.

I am sorry it took so long.

Thanks for the update.

I have reverted to the original MS metadata link on 2 PC's and everything is working as it should. I appreciate your follow-through.

I wonder how long this will last:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
Not long!!!!!

The Metadata error returned on all 3 of my systems at 1am this morning during scheduled maintenance.

I cannot get the forwarding url to work either at present but will keep you posted.

Total mess.......:cry:

PS..... just got the forwarding url to work. I don't think I am ever going to change it back to the original registry key again, it is too unreliable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
The Metadata error returned on all 3 of my systems at 1am this morning during scheduled maintenance.

I cannot get the forwarding url to work either at present but will keep you posted.

Total mess.......:cry:

PS..... just got the forwarding url to work. I don't think I am ever going to change it back to the original registry key again, it is too unreliable.

Same here. Just a few hours ago a restart on one of my PC's took a little longer than normal and looking at the Event Log the errors had returned. I have successfully returned to the alternate address (Sammy's original fix). I have lost all trust in MS in regards to their methods for advancing their business plan.:(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
can't see 131 but have few 123 timeout during 30 sec for some usb, etc devices.... (time sync still off, original URL)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Alternative url now working

Yes I now have Sammys alternate URL Working but not the original.

I tried a few times refreshing 'hardware and devices' before I could convince myself this error had come back so quickly. Less than one month.

According to Microsoft they fixed it on 2nd October following my 6 month consultation with them, disgusting.

Clever how they fixed a timing issue just before 'daylight saving' and then after 'daylight saving' it goes back again.

Perhaps they didn't want their own systems going wrong.

I for one will not put the correct url back again. I feel I have learnt my lesson now.

Apple Mac here I come.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard