Cannot run Win XP or ubuntu after installing Windows 8

The Ubuntu buffs think that Wubi may not work with Windows 8 in its present state, and the Ubuntu developers will not attempt to create a working version until after the public release of Windows 8. The following experience shows that I do not believe that at all:

I have a multiboot machine with Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 CP. It boots into a Windows 7 boot menu, and runs all 3 versions of windows without a hitch. I have tried to install the Wubi version of Ubuntu 12.04 without being able to boot from the menu, first under XP then under Windows 7. Finally I am trying under Windows 8.

The first difference is that Wubi.exe has discovered the earlier attempt to install under Windows 7 and is uninstalling this. It did not happen under Windows 7 when I was trying to install over the unsuccessful attempt under XP - It just complained that there was an existing Ubuntu folder that needs to be removed before the install can take place.

I am just running the latest version of Ubuntu 12.04 Wubi (Windows Installer) now under Windows 8.

Wubi has run and is restarting Windows 8 - and lo! - it booted straight into Ubuntu 12.04.

It has taken my Windows 8 username, and the password I entered at the beginning of the Wubi install process.

On restart, I have a windows 7 boot menu, the last entry is Ubuntu, which takes me to a GNU GRUB version 1.99-21Ubuntu3 menu which loads Ubuntu as hoped, and on restart, the Windows 7 boot menu loads all the Windows versions normally.

So, Emma, try copying your Ubuntu folder to some other folder name, and back it up to be on the safe side. Under Windows 8, go to the Ubuntu website and download the Windows installer for Ubuntu 12.04, and run it. If it recognises the existing Ubuntu installation and uninstalls the old Ubuntu, you still have your copy and back-up.

Once the install has run and all is working - bootmenu for - XP, W8, Ubuntu, just rename the Ubuntu folder, and then rename the copy of your old Ubuntu installation back to Ubuntu, and restart.

Best of luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Can you check the root of your C: partition for a boot.ini file. It's the old boot loader for XP. I'm not sure if these third-party utilities recreate this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860