Solved Can You Disable The Charm Bar

Good info here, thanks for sharing! The only way I can maintain my sanity is to use Classic Shell along with Win8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
if you read futher up this thread, in my posts, I disabled hotspot with the classic shell program and i stopped the charm bar from appearing by disabling "right edge" gestures in my touchpad settings...it is frustrating getting it set to your comfort level, but win 8 does have other nice features...i'm giving it a good, long trial before deciding if i want 7 back...good luck

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb
After 2 months, I think I have solved my problem

I have disabled the hot corners for charm and the giant clock. Apparently there are other hot spots as this continues to reappear when I move the cursor a certain way typically on the right side (not edge or corner) and I can't define the "certain way". It is very annoying and you must right click somewhere to make it go away. Can anyone give me advice on this or a link to documentation that defines what is happening? Thanks.
Other than do what JAbberwock has stated I am not sure :( I have loaded Classic Shell and the charm bar still returns and tbh I am very near to removing 8 all together ..........................I really do feel after running 8 for over a month it is a pile of cack cannot really see the point of using other than on say a tablet so I can see me going back to 7 .
I am using the LT with Classic Shell anyway so that is really like 7 so why use 8...........................Steve :)

I bought a new Lenova a couple of months ago with W8 which was not too smart as the computer does not have a touch screen. I did find by additional digging that in addition to hot corners, w8 Lenova machines and I presume others with w8 use touch pad edge swipe to trigger the charm menu and big clock. The function is triggered by moving my finger from off the right edge to the right edge of the pad. I found an option in the driver to disable the function and it no longer "swipes". I did not have the option to just shut off the right edge swipe so it disabled all edge swipe functions which are similar to hot corner functions relating to apps, etc. In any case the charms are still available as Win button + functions so that functionality is there ​IF I NEED IT!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I have disabled the hot corners for charm and the giant clock. Apparently there are other hot spots as this continues to reappear when I move the cursor a certain way typically on the right side (not edge or corner) and I can't define the "certain way". It is very annoying and you must right click somewhere to make it go away. Can anyone give me advice on this or a link to documentation that defines what is happening? Thanks.
Other than do what JAbberwock has stated I am not sure :( I have loaded Classic Shell and the charm bar still returns and tbh I am very near to removing 8 all together ..........................I really do feel after running 8 for over a month it is a pile of cack cannot really see the point of using other than on say a tablet so I can see me going back to 7 .
I am using the LT with Classic Shell anyway so that is really like 7 so why use 8...........................Steve :)

I bought a new Lenova a couple of months ago with W8 which was not too smart as the computer does not have a touch screen. I did find by additional digging that in addition to hot corners, w8 Lenova machines and I presume others with w8 use touch pad edge swipe to trigger the charm menu and big clock. The function is triggered by moving my finger from off the right edge to the right edge of the pad. I found an option in the driver to disable the function and it no longer "swipes". I did not have the option to just shut off the right edge swipe so it disabled all edge swipe functions which are similar to hot corner functions relating to apps, etc. In any case the charms are still available as Win button + functions so that functionality is there ​IF I NEED IT!
I have a Asus UltraBook and cannot find any Touchpad settings any where including looking in the drivers

Classic Shell helps but no matter what I do the active corners still work but not as bad as before also the zoom function kicks in if I have 2 fingers on the touchpad and that is strawberrying annoying as well ......................is this all 8 generated or a rubbish Asus laptop ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus

I have a Asus UltraBook and cannot find any Touchpad settings any where including looking in the drivers

Classic Shell helps but no matter what I do the active corners still work but not as bad as before also the zoom function kicks in if I have 2 fingers on the touchpad and that is strawberrying annoying as well ......................is this all 8 generated or a rubbish Asus laptop ;)
I found I could get rid of the hot corners by rt clicking on the start icon at the bottom strip and going to settings. Within settings is a Win 8 Settings tab that allows you to wdisable the hot corners and the metro start menu at startup. That's how I made it work. Then to fix the touchpad issue I used the settings option from charms, and selected control panel. Then I selected mouse and got a tab with the driver logo. I clicked it and was able to get rid of the edge swipe options. Good Luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8

I found I could get rid of the hot corners by rt clicking on the start icon at the bottom strip and going to settings. Within settings is a Win 8 Settings tab that allows you to wdisable the hot corners and the metro start menu at startup. That's how I made it work. Then to fix the touchpad issue I used the settings option from charms, and selected control panel. Then I selected mouse and got a tab with the driver logo. I clicked it and was able to get rid of the edge swipe options. Good Luck!
I will try that .......................cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus

I will try that .......................cheers
Let me know if it works. One of the references that I found was a forum that someone was talking about their asus. I bet solution is similar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Had the same problem! Solution was in just uninstalling the mouse driver. It is done by left clicking Computer - Properties - device manager - Mice and other pointing devices - driver - uninstall. After rebooting Windows automatically installed the appropriate driver. Another reboot. That is all!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Yep done it ......................:dinesh::dinesh::dinesh::dinesh::dinesh: just deleted the mouse driver :party::party::party::party::party::party::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Still think Win 8 is rubbish though :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus
disable charm bar

Did the registry thing-didn't work. There's no place to disable the edge swipe. After spending much time trying to get rid of the charm bar I finally uninstalled the Asus gesture app in control panel. I can still get the charm bar by win key-C or swiping down from the right corner of the clickpad. I did lose the ability to scroll with the clickpad but can still scroll on the touch screen. Charm bar was driving me crazy by popping up every time I brushed the clickpad from right to left. I like this configuration much better, charm bar only when I want it. Later, Ray

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Q5A
    CPU
    i7
    Antivirus
    00A