Solved Can You Disable The Charm Bar

I'd advise that you disable the hotspot on your touchpad rather than disabling the charms. besides, you'll lose a ton of functionality by disabling charms such as the search. now that things like search are at the windows level rather than within the app, losing that would be tragic. a lot of people can't wrap their heads around that.

you read the reviews for the wikipedia app and everyone that doesn't understand that will leave comments like "there's no search function" when it's right there in windows. they can't understand that the search is contextual now. or "where are my settings" when it's right there in the charms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I'd advise that you disable the hotspot on your touchpad rather than disabling the charms. besides, you'll lose a ton of functionality by disabling charms such as the search. now that things like search are at the windows level rather than within the app, losing that would be tragic. a lot of people can't wrap their heads around that.

you read the reviews for the wikipedia app and everyone that doesn't understand that will leave comments like "there's no search function" when it's right there in windows. they can't understand that the search is contextual now. or "where are my settings" when it's right there in the charms.

Thanks for your answer but how do I disable the hotspot on my touch pad ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    asus
I am having the same issue. I installed classic shell, changed advanced settings, but still get the charm bar. I installed skip metro suite and still get the charmed bar!?!? please help me before I lose what's left of my mind

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
have you heard the story of Vladimir Ilyushin?

So this cosmonaut—he’s the first man ever to go into space. He goes up in this big spaceship but the inhabitable part of it is very small.

He has this portal window and he sees the curvature of the earth. For the first time. The first man to ever look at the planet he’s from. And he’s lost in that moment. And all of a sudden, this strange ticking…is coming out of the dashboard. He rips out the control panel, and he tries to find this sound. To stop this sound. He can’t find it. He can’t stop it. It keeps going.

A few hours into it feels like torture. A few days go by with this sound and he knows that this small sound will break him. He’ll lose his mind.

What’s he going to do? He’s up in space. Alone. In a space closet. He has 25 days left to go with this sound.

Well, the cosmonaut decides that the only way to save his sanity is to fall in love with this sound. So he closes his eyes and he goes into his imagination and then he opens his heart. He opens his eyes. He doesn’t hear ticking anymore. He hears music.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Get Classic Shell, you can disable all hot corners, bring back all different styles of start menu, and boot directly to desktop. Charm bar will never show up unless you press "Win-C".

Classic Shell ??....................tell me more and how:)

Right click on start button select settings go to Windows 8 settings look down to disable active corners and select ALL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
thank you brink, I did try that. I guess my question wasnt worded properly. I need to disable the mouse gesture that brings out the charm bar. I'm using a touch pad mouse and the slightest wrong move with my finger brings out that useless bar. I've gone through all the settings on my touch pad device and nothing stops it...again, please help. I love my new laptop and windows 8 isnt that bad, EXCEPT for this charms bar

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb
thank you brink, I did try that. I guess my question wasnt worded properly. I need to disable the mouse gesture that brings out the charm bar. I'm using a touch pad mouse and the slightest wrong move with my finger brings out that useless bar. I've gone through all the settings on my touch pad device and nothing stops it...again, please help. I love my new laptop and windows 8 isnt that bad, EXCEPT for this charms bar

What driver are you using? I don't know your current setup, but if you are using elantech, you can uninstall the driver and install the synaptics driver, which works the same except it gives you the ability to disable that.

I actually use that gesture a lot, but I have a huge trackpad so I don't accidentally enact it often.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
success! I found additional touch pad settings when looking for the drivers. Thank you for your tips and time...I'm sure you will be hearing from me again on my travels through win8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb
success! I found additional touch pad settings when looking for the drivers. Thank you for your tips and time...I'm sure you will be hearing from me again on my travels through win8

Pray tell where you found it and what did you do ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus
I disabled "right side gestures" in the touch pad settings. I didnt see that it was enabled until i went looking for drivers. I am still able to use the right side of the pad for scrolling, but not "special" gestures.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb
I disabled "right side gestures" in the touch pad settings. I didnt see that it was enabled until i went looking for drivers. I am still able to use the right side of the pad for scrolling, but not "special" gestures.
Where would I find that ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus
control panel. mine is a dell and it's just labeled dell touchpad

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell I 15 3520
    CPU
    1.7 dual core
    Memory
    4gb
usually I find it by going in the Mouse settings. The link to the trackpad advanced settings is usually hidden there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
Pray tell where you found it and what did you do ?

I have no idea how and why Microsoft thought that the right edge pull would be desirable by anyone. As soon as you have the charm bar activated, you are stuck. You either have to activate one of the icons or while having your finger still on the touchpad, press escape. Needless annoyance. I spent a good 2-3 hours trying to find a method/driver that worked. It is especially challenging if you have an older laptop and there is no option to disable.

Here is my solution.

Manually go in to your regedit and create a new file named "ActionType" and set dword to 0. I have listed the locations below. If you are using another touchpad manufacturer, go to all the way to \Software and find your manufacturer and try to find something that sounds like it has to do with the right edge pull and do the same Back up your reg files before you go and mess around with it though.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull] "ActionType"=dword:00000000 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull] "ActionType"=dword:00000000 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone] "ActionType"=dword:00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull] "ActionType"=dword:00000000

I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 myself as I found myself wasting too much time trying to get Windows 8 to act the way I wanted. Wasting a couple hours of my life to figure this out is just one of many things I wasted time on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I have disabled the hot corners for charm and the giant clock. Apparently there are other hot spots as this continues to reappear when I move the cursor a certain way typically on the right side (not edge or corner) and I can't define the "certain way". It is very annoying and you must right click somewhere to make it go away. Can anyone give me advice on this or a link to documentation that defines what is happening? Thanks.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I have disabled the hot corners for charm and the giant clock. Apparently there are other hot spots as this continues to reappear when I move the cursor a certain way typically on the right side (not edge or corner) and I can't define the "certain way". It is very annoying and you must right click somewhere to make it go away. Can anyone give me advice on this or a link to documentation that defines what is happening? Thanks.
Other than do what JAbberwock has stated I am not sure :( I have loaded Classic Shell and the charm bar still returns and tbh I am very near to removing 8 all together ..........................I really do feel after running 8 for over a month it is a pile of cack cannot really see the point of using other than on say a tablet so I can see me going back to 7 .

I am using the LT with Classic Shell anyway so that is really like 7 so why use 8...........................Steve :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    asus
Back