BSOD waking from sleep & startup hanging

Go to the Seagate website and download the SeaTools for Windows test.
Install it and run the Long/Extended test and see what it says.

Link for the Windows version of Seatools is here: SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
You can continue to use the system while the test is running.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Note the SW Update thing in the upper right of your screenshot.
That's usually a sign that Samsung wants you to install some updates.
Please do so (and let us know what the updates are)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Yupyup I've been very vigilant with that Usasma, currently it's only asking me to update 'online chat consultation settings' and I really don't think that's important?

That Seagate test I just did.. what were you looking to see?

Re: that NTFS error, I found more pages (not many compared to other problems mind you but still)

'There's a VMware (i know you didn't mention vmware, don't worry this is going somewhere...) kb article that mentions these errors - according to them, the translation of the error is:Event ID: 137 NTFS Error The NTFS filesystem sees the volume as read-write. The volume is actually read-only so these operations fail and no modifications are made to the volume.
In the VMware case they say this occurs:
When a quiesced snapshot is created on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine, duplicate disks are created within the virtual machine.
That note about quiesced snapshots is the key here - quiesced snapshots call on Microsoft's VSS routines, your backups will almost certainly also do the same to produce a temporary read only copy of the disk which your backup software can read from so as to get an application consistent backup.
This would explain the consistent timing (I assume your backups are scheduled for this time) and the nature of the event ID (read/write vs read only on a volume), it would also explain the vanishing drive letter - when you go to check of course you don't have a z drive - that volume only exists briefly as part of the VSS procedure.
VMware says "This is a known issue. The events are harmless and can be safely ignored." You could try manually triggering the VSS process repeatedly on your server to see if you can force this event to occur, even if you can get it to happen once you may have some comfort that you have some idea why this is happening.' http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1ezzyr/ntfs_error_137_but_the_drive_specified_is_not_a/

Microsoft have something to say too?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971905

There is also this thread NTFS Errors show in Windows log during backup | Acronis Community

Thanks Usasma!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I expected the Seagate test to fail. That it passed is a bit confusing.
Looking back at the logfiles, the only thing that stands out is the music programs.
In the past (over a year ago) I saw problems with several of the music programs that you use - but haven't seen them since.
The programs were:
- Native Instruments
- LinPlug Instruments
- MPK mini editor
Can you uninstall these to test?

I didn't see any VMware/Acronis/or RAID on your system - so those NTFS errors may not be related to yours.
Continue to try chkdsk /f /r after you see an error - we'll be concerned with seeing if it fixes anything.
That will give us a clue as to what's going on - then we can scan the reports for further events that might not be listed as errors - but may be impacting the system anyway.

But, let's not get too wrapped up in the errors - or main purpose is to fix the problems that you were having with the system.
Please run another set of reports - my intent here is to compare the list of drivers with those that were present in the original post - and hopefully find something that needs updating that we hadn't noticed before.

Finally, I'm running out of ideas here. If the problems continue you'll have to make some choices on how to proceeed. Should you?...
- leave it alone
- start another topic in the General forums and see if another helper can offer different insights
- perform a system Refresh
- backup your stuff and perform a system RESET

FWIW - I have a Samsung NP780 laptop and they seem to have complexities that aren't fully understood. It took me months to update mine to Win8.1 - even though I followed all of their instructions.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Thanks Usasma,

the chkdsk /f /r i did the other day did seem to make a difference (albeit not on the ntps error). How can I access the report to show to you?

To be fair, Ive only just felt okay enough with system stability to continue music and uninstalling Native Instruments would disrupt workflow as much as it would be doing a system restore! I think i'd be better off just writing off this laptop, using it as a casual surfing machine and getting a Lenovo for future music work (Still not convinced on the macbook pro premium...)

I always assumed my system was RAID because of the chipset drivers? (i have no idea what this means but id come across the phrases being linked in earlier diagnostics)

To be honest, the extra 30 - 60 seconds on some boots where there is no HDD light for that length of time does concern me a little. And so does the fact that I cant use hibernate mode (but im aware thats a massive Windows 8 issue anyway)

But having said that, if I am convinced that there is no HDD issue (and I know motherboard issues cant really be tested right?) I am happy to leave it (touchwood, there have been no crashes since last Friday, no boot loops, shutting down and booting has been relatively consistent.). Im nervous until the next windows updates but hey c'est la vie.

Also besides getting that chk dsk report, are there regular things I should do (regular scannows for rxample?) to maintain system integrity? (besides updating when im told to update)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Chkdsk /f /r leaves a report in Event Viewer
CHKDSK LogFile:
Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7/8/8.1) (winlogon for XP).
Copy/paste the results into your next post.
My theory behind repeated CHKDSK's is this:
- a single error that's corrected by CHKDSK is just one of those things (don't worry about it).
- repeated CHKDSK errors are a cause for concern - as something is causing the file system to have errors repeatedly.
What is that thing? That's the problem - there's a lot of things that can cause it.

The article about RAID involved repeatedly mounting/unmounting a pair of RAID volumes - not just having it on your system.
Most systems will include RAID drivers but don't use them.

I understand that workflow is important - so if we can't fix this this way I won't be upset if you choose to live with it.
But, if you're going to write it off, I'd make a few suggestions:
1) Make an image of this system as it sits today. That way you can always revert to the way it was today. I use Acronis TrueImage and an external USB hard drive.
2) Attempt the Refresh and see if it works. If it removes too much of your stuff - just revert to the image that you made.
3) Regardless of what you do - backup your data. Messing around with things like this will occasionally cause problems - and you don't want to lose your data just because you were experimenting.

The only mobo "test" is replacing the mobo with another one. Any "tests" that you see will generally only test a small part of the mobo - and these tests are full of false positives and false negatives.

The most important thing to do is to keep up with Windows Updates.
Beyond that, just take care of the system and don't do unwise things with it - like visiting questionable websites, or leaving out in the car on a cold night.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Cheers Usasma,

I have pasted the results of the scan from yesterday at the bottom of this reply.

I think I will live with it for now! Hopefully next few updates are okay, and I don't get any deterioration in performance. This is the longest it has been this stable, ready to get into heavy duty work now!

I was using Windows Image but that has become useless since Windows 8.1 so now I use Macrium Reflect - i have two external drives, one with an image, and one with a clone just in case. Haven't ever had to restore from image/clone though so hopefully, fingers crossed i won't have to.. and can organically migrate in a year or two when I'm ready

There doesn't appear to be any issue in the scan, which is weird. (Unless my layman eyes are missing something)

Hopefully, if there's nothing else, Thank you so much for your various methods/approaches to helping. I've appreciated your patience and helpfulness!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
371712 file records processed. File verification completed.
2541 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
437130 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered.
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 1444 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1444 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1444 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
32710 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
38192104 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
371696 files processed. File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
181063218 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

950796287 KB total disk space.
225930672 KB in 203571 files.
104036 KB in 32711 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
508707 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
724252872 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
237699071 total allocation units on disk.
181063218 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 ac 05 00 06 9b 03 00 c0 72 05 00 00 00 00 00 .........r......
78 2e 00 00 23 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 x...#...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Looks OK to me.
Let's see what happens.
Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
And I'm back!

Hey Usasma, hope you're well!

Basically, laptop was fine for a few days and tbh when it's on it is still ok running. But, it's lost the ability to wake up after sleep and i have to hard reboot/it reboots itself. Also im back to consistently 3minute boot times. Also, what to make of this:

'The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.'<---events log shows this happen 6 at a time

Sooooo.... I read that chipset drivers could be an issue... How could I look into this?

Graphic card driver could be an issue too so same as above?

Here's the thing: All the problems started when I installed (licensed) Adobe Creative Cloud and download their programs. The system started all this mess then and i wasnt able to restore to before the install. I did manage to uninstall everything, I ran a Adobe cleaner tool too. Is there any way of identifying on that date (17th and 19th of feb) what changes were made that cause this problem? And repeated file errors (scannow afgter being clean last week has now identified problems but cannot fix)

Also, would it be worth trying this? 'Clean Boot Windows 8.1As said before, the issue can be cause of any third party program/app preventing system from waking/starting up. In the Clean Boot State, apps/programs are disabled. Therefore, starting Windows in a Clean Boot State would help you determine if it is because of any third party app. If the problem does not persist in clean boot state, it confirms any of your program is causing the issue. Consider the following method to clean boot in Windows 8.1:'

Many thanks Usasma!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
It's not uncommon to have issues remaining once you've fixed a BSOD problem. Most often (IMO) it's because there was a combination of things contributing to the BSOD's. Then you fixed the most critical portion - which left the less critical portion to cause problems (most often are "hangs", sleep/hibernation issues, and video problems).

'The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.'<---events log shows this happen 6 at a time
My past research on this showed me that it could be BIOS/UEFI; or it could be one of the many different utilities (especially Intel utilities). I suspect that there's 6 of them because you have 6 cores running on your processor (but haven't looked it up).
Also, the BSOD's show that the processor is functioning at it's rated speed (2.4 gHz)

As for updating, the best thing is to update ALL drivers that were involved in the BSOD that dated from before the release of Win8.1 (26 Oct 2013). Here's the post where I listed those drivers: http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...-waking-sleep-startup-hanging.html#post356017

As for the recent problem, the easiest thing (IMO again) is to use System Restore to set your system back to a point before you installed the Adobe stuff. You can identify the date by going back in the Application and System log files (in Event Viewer) and look for errors there.

Clean Booting is an excellent troubleshooting tool. Simply put, if the problem goes away when you clean boot - then the problem is due to one of things that's no longer loading in clean boot. The problem here is nailing it down to which thing/things is causing it.
And, if the problem remains, then it's either hardware or Windows that's causing it. Finally, remember that there are some 3rd party drivers that will continue to load - and this will complicate any analysis of the results.

In Summary:
My thoughts are that the driver updates are the most important thing here (and you must be certain that they are Win8.1 compatible).
Update chipset and video drivers, then work on each of the other drivers listed in the BSOD.
IMO the most important things there are the Intel stuff, then the bluetooth, followed by the rest of the drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back