Best program to clean my PC

Badguys are typically opportunists. They are not going to waste their time unless they are specifically targeting you because they know you have data they want.
Note you don't have to "wipe" a drive either. You can simply fill the drive with music files, or videos and achieve the same thing. All a "wipe" does is write a bunch of random 1s and 0s to the disk sectors to overwrite any old data stored there. Saving a music file to the same locations does the same thing.

Badguys could also mean large business companies who want that specific data back in any case, right? For them $1000 is not a big deal.

Another thing, Just storing a desktop folder with music files till HDD capacity is full will be enough?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
Another thing, Just storing a desktop folder with music files till HDD capacity is full will be enough?
"Till" it is full??? No. That is not what I mean.

When you wipe the "free" space, all the wipe program is doing is "filling" the free space with a bunch of random 1s and 0s. That overwrites any previously saved data making it impossible (or nearly so) to retrieve.

"Filling" the free space with a bunch of music files also overwrites the previously saved data, but the 1s and 0s are not random. They are the 1s and 0s that make up that song.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Badguys are typically opportunists. They are not going to waste their time unless they are specifically targeting you because they know you have data they want.
Note you don't have to "wipe" a drive either. You can simply fill the drive with music files, or videos and achieve the same thing. All a "wipe" does is write a bunch of random 1s and 0s to the disk sectors to overwrite any old data stored there. Saving a music file to the same locations does the same thing.

hard drives have multiple layers ,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.

and the hardrive makers diskutility will format the drive with all zeros

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
When you wipe the "free" space, all the wipe program is doing is "filling" the free space with a bunch of random 1s and 0s. That overwrites any previously saved data making it impossible (or nearly so) to retrieve.

"Filling" the free space with a bunch of music files also overwrites the previously saved data, but the 1s and 0s are not random. They are the 1s and 0s that make up that song.
So what is free space? If I completely fill my HDD capacity with all the music files I could probably get, then it would fill up the available "free-space" too automatically, isn't it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

hard drives have multiple layers ,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.

and the hardrive makers diskutility will format the drive with all zeros

Wrongly quoted by me earlier - corrected now (Was posting from mobile, quoting is so confusing for me in it :confused: - still learning),
That theory is not mine , but of Itaregid

anyway got your point :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
caperjack said:
hard drives have multiple layers
What??? :( No they don't! They have multiple "platters" but those are not layers. And data is not saved in layers either.

,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.
No! I am sorry but you don't understand how hard drives work! :(

Filling a drive with music, photos, or any other type of files is just as effective at overwriting data as one pass with a wipe program. If you want more passes (which is a good idea to ensure every bit in every sector is touched at least once), just delete those files and fill the disk again with more music files and that is pass two. A wipe program does the same thing, only it is automated thus more convenient and the data saved is random, not a program (song, in this case). Photo or movies will work too.

I am NOT saying saving music files is better, just another effective option.

The idea behind a forensic analysis relies on the fact hard drives work by aligning magnetic particles on the platters in such a way they (the particles) represent a 1 or 0. Some "residual" magnetism of the previous data may remain that might be picked up by very expensive specialized equipment when those drives are disassembled and the platters are removed from the drive. The drive's own R/W heads are not sensitive enough or capable of detecting those super low-level residual magnetic fields, so the platters MUST be removed then analyzed individually by that very expensive, specialized equipment.

And the reason the drive's own R/W heads are not sensitive enough is intentional! Otherwise, the R/W heads would pickup the magnetic fields ("the data") in the adjacent tracks and sectors instead of just the one sector is supposed to be reading.

So what is free space? If I completely fill my HDD capacity with all the music files I could probably get, then it would fill up the available "free-space" too automatically, isn't it?
Yes. Free space just means that space is available to save data in. If the drive is 1/2 full with Windows, Office, and your data files, then the rest of the disk space is "free". If you fill the rest of the drive with music files, there is no free space left and that would be the same as "one pass" with a wipe program as far as "overwriting" any previously saved (but "deleted") data. Remember, deleted files are not really deleted or erased, the space is just marked as free in the drive's allocation tables.

The only difference is with a wipe program, after the pass, the space is marked as available (free) again. When using music files, you would have to delete the files to free up the space.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Conflicting statements..guess someone is correct here.

At least we can't twist facts, so which is correct?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
thanks for correcting me.i could have sworn thats what my teacher said .i now know why i failed ...ty

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p