Best program to clean my PC

asvent said:
They kind of are. Think about it for just a half second. How many programs are there for Windows? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? More? How many of those will make changes to the registry? Probably virtually all of them. It's simply not plausible that any company, even Microsoft, could possibly keep track of every single possible change every single possible program might make. So that leaves using some kind of algorithmic means if one wants to "clean" the registry. Maybe I missed the memo, but I've never seen any developer of a registry cleaner come out and say here are the basic selection criteria we use. AV companies do this, providing rather detailed information on each virus their program detects and removes, showing how the company profiles the behavior of the program. Registry cleaner programs, to the best of my knowledge, use some secret sauce style method that they never elaborate on.
They kind of are??? That's like saying because Yugo is a car and because Yugos are unsafe cars, Volvos must be unsafe too because they also are cars! Not logical.

AV program makers do NOT reveal how their algorithms work.

So not only are we expected to trust some developer's word when all we have is a black box that could be doing anything.
Nah! Sorry, but you don't understand what a good Registry cleaner does. You don't need a database to figure out a setting in the registry points to an invalid location.

That would be nice but sticking your head in the sand does not make the problem go away. Registry cleaners are here, and Bing Google will find them. You cannot stick a bunch of candy in front of kids, leave the room, and tell them not to touch the candy and expect none will.

Driving a car is dangerous. Do we tell our kids to forget about driving? NO! We teach them the right way to drive. Same thing here.

Do you stop cooking because you failed to use a pot holder and got burned once? Do you NOT use a knife because it can cut you if used wrong?
Yeah right! 26,000 vs 7. No significant difference there. :rolleyes:

Wow! That is the unscrupulous behavior that gives honest techs a bad rap. :( I am glad you are no longer doing tech support.

And CCleaner has left a trail of destruction just like every other program that does similar things.
Not hardly. Exceptions don't make the rule. Are there exceptions? Sure. But when compared to the 10s, 100s of millions with no problems, they are minuscule.

CountMike said:
To be honest, it happened to already shmucked up windows but it did not do any good either.
RIGHT! So in other words, the product was used incorrectly then asvent and other pundits blame the product for not doing what it wasn't designed to do.

Registry cleaner haters are like the politicians whose party is not in power. They are totally against any solution that is not 100% perfect and will cite any and every minute exception as the perfect example why it is [supposedly] bad for every body instead of acknowledging the merits that are there or accepting that meeting somewhere in the middle is good for the majority.

I say this and then I am done because I don't like talking to walls - if you don't like CCleaner's registry cleaner, DON'T USE IT! But stop telling everybody CCleaner is bad when it is clear, for the vast majority of users, it is not.
well said ,thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Nice debates here i tell you. Ever hear saying " To each his own "

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Ever hear saying " To each his own "
Yes but debates are there to make your own conclusion out of them and i find them more useful than if everybody agrees to everything and they could be all wrong. Take a bit of this and a bit of that, try and see what fits you most.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Ever hear saying " To each his own "
Yes but debates are there to make your own conclusion out of them and i find them more useful than if everybody agrees to everything and they could be all wrong. Take a bit of this and a bit of that, try and see what fits you most.

True not against it, just thought getting little heated. Very informative. You mean best judgement. Also true i will ask someone who knows more then me if i am not sure, then i will make my own conclusion on what i will do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
they could be all wrong
True - but I would tend to believe those who have actually and extensively used the product instead of those who automatically bash it based on unsubstantiated rumors, 10 year old anectdotes, unrealistic comparisons, and downright falsehoods - and often without any personal experience.

If CCleaner was so bad, where's the evidence? Where are the white papers, studies, articles that shows it will break your computer? If CCleaner was so bad as some would like us to believe, why can't a real review site duplicate the problem at will? I provided a link to a recognized expert showing his results. Why can't others defend their position without lumping CCleaner in with all the others? Or without citing exceptions pretending the exceptions make the rule?

Debates are good. But when it comes to technical issues, opinions take a back seat to facts. And therefore, debaters need to have an open mind, accept that things change and what was may not be today.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
I wouldn't say its "bad" but more like pointless on modern OS. It would be much better if MS would pool all the important maintenance parts in to one easy accessible tool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I also have no problems using CCleaner. Haven't had any under '98, XP, 8, 8.1.
Cleaners come from a time where HDD space was few and OSs where fragile in stability. They could fix invalid registry entrys causing problems when programs were uninstalled, but they also could make a mess.
Nowadays they don't have the prime cause to free up desperately needed drive space than more for the main reason of cleaning usage history stuff, for privacy.
If it's all about freeing up space I'd recommend to use the built-in drive cleaning routines, especially cleaning system files can free up a few GB since unneeded update installers are removed, by the cost of the inability to uninstall Windows updates. If privacy is the issue I'd recommend using Privazer.com

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 32-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4670
    Motherboard
    AsRock z87m Pro4
    Memory
    4 GB 1600 12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics 4600
    Sound Card
    HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
    2 TB WD Green
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro MII 420 W
    Case
    Cooler Master Silencio 650 Pure
    Cooling
    Semi passive: Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev.A, Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800 rpm
I wouldn't say its "bad" but more like pointless on modern OS.
Pointless? You say that based on what? Clearly, you didn't bother to read Fred Langa's report. :(

If you have kept your computer basically the same as when you first bought it, then you likely will not benefit. But if you have installed and uninstalled several programs - in particular large productivity (Office type) suites, OS service patches, and deep seated security apps; and/or if you have swapped in and out various hardware devices - in particular graphics cards, sound cards and NICs, it is likely you have lots of bloat and orphaned entries in your Registry. While these likely will not affect performance once the computer has fully booted, they often and dramatically increase boot times. This can be alleviated with the regular use of a decent registry cleaner.

In fact, IMO, the more advanced you are as a computer user, and the more you tinker with various programs and hardware, the greater the "point" to use CCleaner.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Based on my experience, with my own computer and many other ones. Although not computer professional I have been exposed to, worked on, put together, repaired and did all kinds of other work way before the PC as we all know and even before it got it's name. Middle '70s at least, including automatic machines and controls for them including programing for CAM/CAD. Used DOS from the word go, same with every windows there ever were. Always had keen interest in HW and SW, tried used few hundreds of programs if not in thousands. Literary terabytes of programs and data went thru this HW I have now in last year or so with this system. The same disks are on my computer for at least a year and I have just checked their state.
defrag 1.jpg
Ccleaner i just installed for this occasion:
clean1.jpgcleanreg1.jpg
I would think these pictures can speak for themselves. No need for Jack, Jill or Fred Langa's to tell me what's going on in my machine. I have read other reports and opinions of SW like that and they are a mixed bag of everything and may or may not be close to my own. I would appreciate if somebody would tell me how much of this has helped speed up this computer. Even disk fragmentation which has not been done for at least a year is nowhere close to what it used to be in XP,you can note that auto defrag has been turned off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
They may speak for themselves but they don't lead to any conclusion you might be suggesting.

As for defragging, that has nothing to do with this discussion - but I will say I am not a fan of automatic defragging because they don't purge the system of potentially 1000s of tiny temporary Internet files and cookies before defragging. And I think that is counterproductive to an efficient defragging process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What would be the best program to clean my PC. Like fixing my registry, deleting unnecessary folders and files. It doesn't have to be free. I used Regclean Pro to fix my registry but a lot of people said its bad program to use, and I used CCleaner but that messed up my computer. Thanks

What happened to THIS PERSON ? Started this post and hasn't been seen. Is this person just reading and not commenting, i wonder.
I for one am using CCleaner to clean my history from the PC, i never said or thought it was going to speed up my PC.
Think that is part of the debate, believing it will. Now if you have little space left and never clean up the drive, then yes it will speed it up, freeing the space. Not touching the registry thoughts, not too familiar with editing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
They may speak for themselves but they don't lead to any conclusion you might be suggesting.

As for defragging, that has nothing to do with this discussion - but I will say I am not a fan of automatic defragging because they don't purge the system of potentially 1000s of tiny temporary Internet files and cookies before defragging. And I think that is counterproductive to an efficient defragging process.
Since you didn't see it, the point is that Ccleaner took more space itself than it is supposed to clean up. Defragging is not even supposed to clan up anything is completely different process and also unnecessary any more but with many faithful followers. Overdo with any of these things and you are just putting unnecessary strain on system, disks and spend more time doing it than if you just left the things alone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
For majority of noobs in this field, this article may be a good start:

Restore Your Computer to its Glory Days | Maximum PC
I'm firm believer in prevention and most of it can be done with clean uninstallation of programs using something like "Revo Uninstaller" that cleans up registry and file system of unnecessary "tails" left over by programs own uninstallers, left there by accident or purpose. Programs like Ccleaner (there's whole bunch of of them) do not even claim to be able to clean all that up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I use Revo---

& others--

screenshot_158.jpg

screenshot_159.jpg

screenshot_160.jpg

screenshot_160.jpg

&

screenshot_161.jpg

& sfc & dism.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
That's about same combination I use, it proved very effective. Except, never defraged drives for more than a year, worst one is 2% so no need for that. For the rest of stuff, once monthly or even rarer, Disk cleanup takes out few MBs out and somewhat more from system restore points but even that's not much because it's setup to hold just couple of last points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I'm firm believer in prevention and most of it can be done with clean uninstallation of programs using something like "Revo Uninstaller" that cleans up registry and file system of unnecessary "tails" left over by programs own uninstallers, left there by accident or purpose. Programs like Ccleaner (there's whole bunch of of them) do not even claim to be able to clean all that up.

Honestly, I don't have faith in CCleaner, it had messed up with my system once - that was the last instance I had given any app so much freedom than it deserved.

I too use Revo uninstaller & I use it now too - it instantly shows up registry files/items/leftovers associated with a software. And use it if I have to completely remove the software - Advanced setting of Revo.

I exactly follow what David had posted except for the defrag thing - mine is SSD now. In addition to that, I regularly scan with mbam & kaspersky (sometimes with MS Malicious software removal tool & MS Safety scanner).
And that is all that is enough for my system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14