A Possible Disaster With Windows 8

They're doing it to save money on licensing. Hopefully, the savings will be passed on to the consumers that purchase versions without the features. If not, it's "slimy." That's all I'm saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Who pays for the licensing of codecs in Linux, Videolan and other free to end user products, etc? Will the Windows 8 codecs and WMC still be available in Windows Embedded Standard 8 downloads for those developing STBs etc

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Nobody does very likely, since I am guessing that Linux versions are mostly compiled in Europe, where the long arm of USA copyright has been unable to reach effectively.

As for VLC, I am completely sure that is the true case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
So we non-USA users could sue for a discount, or inclusion then, if MS does not include the feature? I'll have to write to my Euro MP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
I dunno - that would be lolz though for the win.

Here's what I'm saying, by Mike Lonewolf's buddy over at CNET, Ed Bott: https://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/if-vlc-can-ship-a-free-dvd-player-why-cant-microsoft/4962

"Well, on its “Legal concerns” page the makers of VLC open with a proud declaration: “VideoLAN is an organization based in France,” and “French law … is the only one to be applicable.”
If you skip to the bottom of the English portion of the page, you see why that matters. This is VideoLAN’s argument:
Patents and codec licenses
Neither French law nor European conventions recognize software as patentable (see French section below).
Therefore, software patents licenses do not apply on VideoLAN software."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
Most things are never awesome the first time, things have to be invented first, then perfected as time goes on. Windows 8 and 9 are going to be transitional OS's, by the time Windows 10 rolls around it should really sweet.

Microsoft needs to change it's game plan and try to get into the mobile market, that's where the money is, Windows 8 is a start for them, if you don't like Windows 8 then don't buy it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
Microsoft needs to change it's game plan and try to get into the mobile market, that's where the money is, Windows 8 is a start for them, if you don't like Windows 8 then don't buy it.

I don't understand how this is a justification for taking a desktop OS and making it what 8 is. Just because they want or need to do something for whatever half-baked reason, that reason shouldn't affect actual computers being used by people old enough to have graduated H.S.

I won't be buying it, but would have liked to see something I would have, instead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
By removing the start button and making everyone deal with the Metro interface whether they like it or not, and also removing any way to play a DVD by default and removing WMC they have all but admitted this Op system is not meant to be used on a PC at all.

They also stripped away many useful features like network mapping and tons of other stuff.

I really think they left the PC market hanging out to dry on this one by not including the simple option for some type of PC mode which would have been all it takes to appease the masses.

Of course the same complaints are everywhere so this isn't something they aren't aware of. They certainly did need a good mobile Op system but it seems like a version with optional modes for both would have been better. Maybe Windows 9 will show some improvement towards the PC market again rather than catering to the mobile market which seems to be the case here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Most things are never awesome the first time, things have to be invented first, then perfected as time goes on. Windows 8 and 9 are going to be transitional OS's, by the time Windows 10 rolls around it should really sweet.

I don't find Windows 8 that transitional, a couple of days and it's not that much different to Windows 7. As far as MS trying to get into the mobile market, that's the funniest comment I've ever heard. They are turning themselves inside out and spending billions trying to get into the mobile market.
It looks as though it's finally starting to work, Wp7 has doubled its market share to 6% in Germany, and the rest of Europe, the UK and US has risen 1% to 4%, which is a great turn around considering it was plummeting beforehand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
If any of you hotshots think you have the juice, Microsoft is hiring in Seattle. They really are. A beautiful city and one of the hottest jobs in the US and you could have a new life and make some flashy tiles for us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home build, Case is Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320 8 core CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    Memory
    Team Group Zeus overclockable 16Gb, 4x4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X x2
    Sound Card
    Several audio adapters
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ 27" x2
    Screen Resolution
    1920x 1080P
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb,
    WD 1Tb 7200 rpm internal HDD,
    WD My Book Essential 1Tb 7200 external backup drive USB 3.0,
    Pioneer Electronics Blu Ray Combo Drive.
    PSU
    EVGA 850W B2 Modular
    Case
    Corsair Carbide Spec 02
    Cooling
    Stock AMD downblowing heatsink and fan
    Keyboard
    Steelseries mechanical cherry red keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Xfinity 100- 150Mps
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Norton Security Suite
You're friend wasn't the only one to like DOS only, even though I ran Windows 3.11. I spent a lot more time in DOS. Everything was much quicker, games were just not runnable in Windows and Word Perfect was much better in DOS.

Hi there
with the hardware available at the time no surprise there -- but once Word for Windows (pre Office) and EXCEL came out Windows 3.11 really did make History out of DOS -- and of course with decent hardware (for that time) Windows 3.11 actually ran OK and was the first decent piece of Groupware available as an alternative to the absolutely HATED IBM text base mainframe system (PROFS).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I just started using 8, and will be loading it onto my laptop tonight. In my limited usage so far, I see nothing in 8 that makes me want it on a desktop computer. For my personal use, it adds exactly zero for me. Looking at it for business applications, I also do not see any use for it in a desktop. The MetroUI is designed for touch screens. I do not see a great number of business computers going to touch screens. People already complain about hand and arm fatigue from using a keyboard, what do you think will happen if you have to hold you arms in the air to touch the screen on the desk in front of you?

IF 8 is the MS entry to mobile computing, then the UI makes sense. IF it is truly intended for desktops, I think most buisness will stay away.

Personally, I think MS has missed the boat. Smart Phones and Tablets are dominated by Unix based software that is reliable and well liked by its users. These systems are well entrenched in the marketplace and already using the technoligies (wireless, cloud, streaming, social) that the MetroUI is trying to make more accessable. I think it is too little, too late. If I went with a mobile device today, I would NOT use MS to run it. Why? Apple and Droid have already proven to be easy to use, popular, and reliable. I think companies will think the same way, and MS sales are based on a Corporate backbone. If companies do not buy, it will flop just like Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
    Custom
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    Motherboard
    eVGA Geforce 730i
    Memory
    8 gig G.Skill DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    OnBoard Geforce 9400
I just started using 8, and will be loading it onto my laptop tonight. In my limited usage so far, I see nothing in 8 that makes me want it on a desktop computer. For my personal use, it adds exactly zero for me. Looking at it for business applications, I also do not see any use for it in a desktop. The MetroUI is designed for touch screens. I do not see a great number of business computers going to touch screens. People already complain about hand and arm fatigue from using a keyboard, what do you think will happen if you have to hold you arms in the air to touch the screen on the desk in front of you?

IF 8 is the MS entry to mobile computing, then the UI makes sense. IF it is truly intended for desktops, I think most buisness will stay away.

Personally, I think MS has missed the boat. Smart Phones and Tablets are dominated by Unix based software that is reliable and well liked by its users. These systems are well entrenched in the marketplace and already using the technoligies (wireless, cloud, streaming, social) that the MetroUI is trying to make more accessable. I think it is too little, too late. If I went with a mobile device today, I would NOT use MS to run it. Why? Apple and Droid have already proven to be easy to use, popular, and reliable. I think companies will think the same way, and MS sales are based on a Corporate backbone. If companies do not buy, it will flop just like Vista.

You obviously have never used Android and iPad tablets. I'm a bit of a tech nut and have to try everything. I have an Android phone an Android tablet an iPad 2 and an iPad3.
While Android is quite good especially after an update to ICS its still not windows. The ipads are more responsive and have a few very good Apps, I litterally feel like I'm playing in a sandpit. While you can get Apps to do a fair bit on the iPad its very restrictive. I've also got a couple of old Netbooks running XP and Windows 8, and installed an extra gig of ram, I still find I'm using these more than the tablets, although they're closing in.
I like using Windows 8 because it gives me the best of both worlds, a tablet interface and a desktop interface. Me personally, I think Windows 8 on tablets will be a huge hit and I think for companies it will be the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
They definitely missed the boat. That year the ipad came out they should have had their own tablet. They should have thought about the tablet since whenever they first talked about it. I mean since with all the time between XP and vista someone should have been working on a tablet based system. It still needs a lot of work even for a tablet system. A lot of the apps just keep crashing so it definitely doesn't feel like you can use both the desktop and metro.

My Computer

Nobody has missed the boat, if that were the case Apple wouldnt even be in business. The Xbox is a good example of being late and still becoming a leader and so is the iPhone and iPad. If you have the right product people will buy, its as simple as that, even Windows phone7 is now starting to gain traction, up to 6% market share in Germany and 4% for the rest of the world.

I havent had one App crash on 3 Windows 8 machines, just one bit of a freeze on my HTCP, which corrected itself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The apprehension at MS is palpable, and....it should be.

MS is telling the desktop users to pound salt in so many ways, ​IF they refuse to implement a USER option to select which UI as their preferred default.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
It is difficult to predict what will happen by now.

I am not sure that Microsoft will succeed with Windows 8 on any platform.

On desktop, it is a pain for the average user with no advantages at the moment but complications. Yes it is better, faster, more powerful... but not really noticeable for most people. The disadvantages are bigger than the advantages. This will mean a slow penetration, based on new devices more than upgrades, and still many will install windows 7 the first months or even first couple of years.

And the big point is the mobile devices. I am sure that Windows 8 wil run wonderful on phones and tablets, just like Windows Phone 7.5 does. But these cons: 1) people don't like it 2) it is late with apps 3) people are used to google and apple apps and won't accept missing them.

1) WP7 has so far failed because people don't like Metro and the tiles. Of course many love it, but just look at the sales. I don't like it. Most don't like it. We like icons and wallpapers, not huge tiles and boring horizontal scrolling and all letters and letters.

2) When will Windows 8 offer as many apps as Android and iOS have? Some day? When exactly? With such a small share, developers will probably continue focusing on Android and iOS, even more and more if the market keeps going on this direction. The gap might get even bigger.

3) Is Bing the same as Google? Not for most. Is Bing Maps the same as Google Maps? Not for most. And so on and so on. People are used to Google and Apple applications on mobiles by now. What does Microsoft have as a standard? Office and little more. Not even Internet Explorer anymore, specialy if IE is a totally different thing on a mobile device.

So... Microsoft is huge and perhaps they can make the whole world use W8 on desktops and then make them buy mobile devices to be always synchronized starting from their desktop dominance.

But maybe not and maybe we find just the opposite scenario. Maybe this risky move makes them lose the war in every place and even lose the desktops. Apple might offer cheaper desktops and products, Google might offer a good desktop (not Chrome OS)...

Anything can happen. If I had to bet now, I would say that Microsoft will need many many years to conquer a decent share of the mobile market if they do it at all, and that will keep losing desktop share.

But of course, I could be wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I was rumaging aroud the other day & found my MS T shirt.

It says " I was there 95 Microsoft" I was "There" & at many others. I have a"Pocket Book" for CDs etc. from launch meetings.

The point is that I am a MICROSOFT user!

Now comes Win8. I am on the cusp of going back to W7. I did skip "Vista" Although I have one computer with it on it (A Gift)

I am too old (83) to do the required spelunking to use W8!

I am afried that MS has made a mish mash of this one! I have been in computers since day 1 & have 6 in my office.

Tully

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    External Seagate "Dashboard" File Backup Drive USB3
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    Samsung Super Write Master 24 DVD Writer
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3
@Tully, if I get to your age, which I doubt I will, I'd be saying the same thing, as you get older consistency becomes paramount for most people. I'm pretty sure I would stick withe Windows 7 as well.
Unfortunately the world has a habit of moving on, Lady Gaga is the most influential woman on the planet, men are getting married, America has a black President.

Apple has gone from 5% of the computer market to the biggest company in the world, Android is taking the world by storm.
Microsoft doesnt have any options, its do or die time, I actually saw this coming probably before Microsoft. I saw the rise of the iPhone and I spend a lot of time on the internet and I could hear the buzz around this contraption. Then when the iPad became a hit I knew MS was going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Also Android is becoming a huge power at the same time.

I hope the rabbit is Windows 8, if not Microsoft is in big trouble and wont be able to come up with anything else in time to stop the advance. Lets not forget though that Windows 7 took an awful long time to surpass Windows XP, some people dont like change.

Hopefully we'll be able to have this same conversation on your 93 birthday when Windows 10 hits the streets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back