8.1 metro won't print but works perfect in desktop

Windows 8? An article from July 8, 2012? You must be joking right? We’re talking 8.1.1 almost 2 years later. I think you may have to do better than that. :think:

The most I’ll give it is that some Store apps don’t aloew to print. That’s it.

Please read what the OP stated:

When I updated to 8.1 it all started working! Then one day mysteriously stopped on all machines.

If it worked at one time do you think it’ll work again? :think:

Then the OP was hoping the update would cure it, but to no avail.

8.1 update did not resolve it.

How about we all work on a solution to why all of a sudden it stopped working, shall we?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
It does not matter if it is 8.1, 8.1 Update 1, 8.1 Update 2001. What matters is it is about Windows 8. Regardless what version of 8 that the user is using. MS Software Engineers, along with the writers of those apps. Made it so that you could not print from those certain ones.

It is trial by fire to find an app that you can print from. Running the Metro app inside something like Metro Mix. You can print with that software, what is running inside the window. Unlike in the Metro Touch Screen interface.

It has never worked for being able to print from Metro Apps. Read the two links about this issue, that I posted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
This must be a mirage that I see on my monitor when I go to Charms to print then. And the paper that comes out of the printer must be an illusion. Maybe I live in a matrix.

Screenshot (101).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
As stated, if you had taken the time to read the links I posted. Which one of them was from a discussion on here. Some apps will print. Others do not give you that choice.

I am done with you at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

It seems like you expect that all apps should be able to magically print.. something?

There are plenty of desktop apps that don't print anything either. If the app writer did not develop a print function, then the app can't print. It's really that simple. It doesn't matter what OS it is, what kind of application it is, an application must be written to print something (with the exception of console apps, which can simply have their output redirected to a printer).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
As stated, if you had taken the time to read the links I posted. Which one of them was from a discussion on here. Some apps will print. Others do not give you that choice.

I am done with you at this point.

The most I’ll give it is that some Store apps don’t allow to print. That’s it.

I was finished with you when you posted the first time. I'm quite sure the OP was wondering what you meant also.

Do you have an answer for the OP's question presented to you in post #3? You were IT. You should know the means by which to contact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Are you kidding? Been searching since it broke and you obviously can't read. Yes I know not all apps are supported but I used IExplorer as an example and it is supported. And it work before and it does work on other machines. I was hoping for a fix before I reinstall 4 machines only to watch them stop printing again. I came here for help not to be berated by someone who obviously doesn't know how to fix it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
Yes thank you. This is the screen I use to get for apps that do support printing. I can no longer get it but the drivers work in Desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
Ctrl-P is what you would use for those apps that allow printing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

mtollin, what brand printer do you have?

Are you kidding? Been searching since it broke and you obviously can't read. Yes I know not all apps are supported but I used IExplorer as an example and it is supported. And it work before and it does work on other machines. I was hoping for a fix before I reinstall 4 machines only to watch them stop printing again. I came here for help not to be berated by someone who obviously doesn't know how to fix it.

He can speak for himself, but I’m sure Mystere was directing that at Broe23 since it’s right after his post. It had nothing to do with you. He is a forum friend of mine who came to my defense. He is one of the most brilliant computer IT Pros on this forum. He is all for Modern/Metro whereas some are not as you can see. I apologize that you are reading this squabble going on, especially when you’re having problems.

Yes thank you. This is the screen I use to get for apps that do support printing. I can no longer get it but the drivers work in Desktop.

I’ll assume you are directing this at my post #23, since you refer to a screen. The option for me to print within Modern/Metro actually happens via HP’s Store app and I cannot print within that environment until that app is installed. I'm assuming this is true for all brands, but I may be wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with MS, but rather printer manufacturers writing proper software. I'm thinking there is a Win32 driver for the system (desktop), but there needs to be a Store app that configures the system to print within Modern/Metro. I’ll assume you have that app installed since it worked at one time.

The app may have installed without you knowing. It should be listed in your All Apps. Here are a few options to try if you have not already:

Uninstall and reinstall the app or the whole driver for your printer.

App Troubleshooter:
Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter - Fix Apps in Windows 8

DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption:
DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

Try running scannow at least three times:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Ctrl-P is what you would use for those apps that allow printing.

How does this in any way help the OP solve his/her problem? Do you post just for the sake of posting?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
mtollin, what brand printer do you have?

He can speak for himself, but I’m sure Mystere was directing that at Broe23 since it’s right after his post. It had nothing to do with you. He is a forum friend of mine who came to my defense. He is one of the most brilliant computer IT Pros on this forum. He is all for Modern/Metro whereas some are not as you can see. I apologize that you are reading this squabble going on, especially when you’re having problems.

I’ll assume you are directing this at my post #23, since you refer to a screen. The option for me to print within Modern/Metro actually happens via HP’s Store app and I cannot print within that environment until that app is installed. I'm assuming this is true for all brands, but I may be wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with MS, but rather printer manufacturers writing proper software. I'm thinking there is a Win32 driver for the system (desktop), but there needs to be a Store app that configures the system to print within Modern/Metro. I’ll assume you have that app installed since it worked at one time.

The app may have installed without you knowing. It should be listed in your All Apps. Here are a few options to try if you have not already:

Uninstall and reinstall the app or the whole driver for your printer.

App Troubleshooter:
Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter - Fix Apps in Windows 8

DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption:
DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

Try running scannow at least three times:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

I want to thank you for helping me. This topic is all over the Microsoft forums and Microsoft hasn't addressed it. The first to figure it out will be smarter than Microsoft engineers. I'm not the only one suffering from it.

The printers under ctrl P are HP L7780, Quicken pdf creator, Adobe PDF creator, Microsoft XPS creator. I get same error no matter what I attempt to print to.

I have re-installed Adobe Professional, HP L7780 and Quicken. I'll have to research how to re-install XPS. Every time Desktop printing returns, but I still can't print from support apps in Metro. They all appear under Metro Devices as available and ON LINE. I have tried using an after market antivirus thinking it would reset permissions for Fire wall, did not help and uninstalled, turned off fire walls, nope, new user, changed to local user not logged in user, rebooted to diagnostic mode, limited services mode, nope didn't help.

I agree that some type of functionality is either broken, blocked or not installed properly from the App store. Question is, how to repair it or find the appropriate apps and force a re-install. The printers aren't listed as far as I can tell on the app store. What I fear most is re-installing from scratch all machines then watching it "break" again.

Again, thanks for the help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
You're quite welcome. This is quite the challenge. The way I see it is that it worked at one time, so we know it works. The real problem lies in that something breaks it. That's what we need to find. Modern/Metro and networking? I dunno. All I know is that it works on my individual non-networked machine.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you other than what I've posted already. I'll surely post if I come across something else. Good luck to you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
hi,I don't have many apps install right now but ones I do say this cant print yet,only one have that I thought might print was a cookbook app. I just printed from IE to a printer on my network [only 2 computers and printer is hooked up to my wife's computer ]with out issue .

you likely all ready did this ,but did you go to control panel ,devices and printers, and set the printer to default

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
If you took the time to do a search HG. You will find that this is a known issue that MS does not allow printing from Metro Apps (at least the majority). Who knows why, you would have to talk to the engineers at MS.

See How To Print From Within Metro App in Windows 8 ( Video Tutorial ) : Blogsolute This was discussed in 2012. http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/11798-print-metro.html

ok, I did a quick read and didn't see it discussing a problem with printing with metro ,just not all apps offer print feature ,and just more steps than [than not that, correction wrong word ] we are use to with desktop mode

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
And how do I do that?

you call Microsoft tech support and tell them you already discussed the issue with them with no resolve and would like to talk to some in tier 1 support

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
And how do I do that?

you call Microsoft tech support and tell them you already discussed the issue with them with no resolve and would like to talk to some in tier 1 support
You do realize that Tier 1 is the first people you talk to, that do nothing but read scripts.

All MS is going to tell the OP. Is the same that has already been explained. Also btw. There are not extra steps when doing stuff in the Desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

And how do I do that?

You do realize that Tier 1 is the first people you talk to, .
yeah my booboo, tell them you want to talk to there supervisor ,
large Microsoft call cent about 45 minutes from me ,maybe I could run over and ask them lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
. Also btw. There are not extra steps when doing stuff in the Desktop.
not what I said, I said, they said, that metro has more steps to print something , than what users are use to, in desktop mode

edit correction I use the wrong word I used that instead of than ,sorry to confuse anyone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p