Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Best program to clean my PC

  1. #61


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Badguys are typically opportunists. They are not going to waste their time unless they are specifically targeting you because they know you have data they want.
    Note you don't have to "wipe" a drive either. You can simply fill the drive with music files, or videos and achieve the same thing. All a "wipe" does is write a bunch of random 1s and 0s to the disk sectors to overwrite any old data stored there. Saving a music file to the same locations does the same thing.

    Badguys could also mean large business companies who want that specific data back in any case, right? For them $1000 is not a big deal.

    Another thing, Just storing a desktop folder with music files till HDD capacity is full will be enough?
    Last edited by visruth; 22 Oct 2014 at 12:44. Reason: not properly quoted previously

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Another thing, Just storing a desktop folder with music files till HDD capacity is full will be enough?
    "Till" it is full??? No. That is not what I mean.

    When you wipe the "free" space, all the wipe program is doing is "filling" the free space with a bunch of random 1s and 0s. That overwrites any previously saved data making it impossible (or nearly so) to retrieve.

    "Filling" the free space with a bunch of music files also overwrites the previously saved data, but the 1s and 0s are not random. They are the 1s and 0s that make up that song.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    Nice, does more than Ccleaner
    Not hardly.

    I too use Revo uninstaller
    And what is Revo uninstaller? A 3rd party disk AND Registry cleaner.
    ,agree 100%,as are malware and virus scanning software ,most of what they remove are registry entries
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by visruth View Post
    Badguys are typically opportunists. They are not going to waste their time unless they are specifically targeting you because they know you have data they want.
    Note you don't have to "wipe" a drive either. You can simply fill the drive with music files, or videos and achieve the same thing. All a "wipe" does is write a bunch of random 1s and 0s to the disk sectors to overwrite any old data stored there. Saving a music file to the same locations does the same thing.


    hard drives have multiple layers ,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.

    and the hardrive makers diskutility will format the drive with all zeros
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Itaregid View Post
    When you wipe the "free" space, all the wipe program is doing is "filling" the free space with a bunch of random 1s and 0s. That overwrites any previously saved data making it impossible (or nearly so) to retrieve.

    "Filling" the free space with a bunch of music files also overwrites the previously saved data, but the 1s and 0s are not random. They are the 1s and 0s that make up that song.
    So what is free space? If I completely fill my HDD capacity with all the music files I could probably get, then it would fill up the available "free-space" too automatically, isn't it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visruth View Post
    Badguys are typically opportunists. They are not going to waste their time unless they are specifically targeting you because they know you have data they want.
    Note you don't have to "wipe" a drive either. You can simply fill the drive with music files, or videos and achieve the same thing. All a "wipe" does is write a bunch of random 1s and 0s to the disk sectors to overwrite any old data stored there. Saving a music file to the same locations does the same thing.

    hard drives have multiple layers ,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.

    and the hardrive makers diskutility will format the drive with all zeros
    Wrongly quoted by me earlier - corrected now (Was posting from mobile, quoting is so confusing for me in it - still learning),
    That theory is not mine , but of Itaregid

    anyway got your point
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack
    hard drives have multiple layers
    What??? No they don't! They have multiple "platters" but those are not layers. And data is not saved in layers either.

    ,an good recovery tool will dig into these layers to find files ,so tour theory of fill the drive with music is not a good one in my opinion , when I want to make sure everything is gone I use a tool [from Microsoft ]that makes 2 or 3 passes and into those layers ,and takes all night to run.
    No! I am sorry but you don't understand how hard drives work!

    Filling a drive with music, photos, or any other type of files is just as effective at overwriting data as one pass with a wipe program. If you want more passes (which is a good idea to ensure every bit in every sector is touched at least once), just delete those files and fill the disk again with more music files and that is pass two. A wipe program does the same thing, only it is automated thus more convenient and the data saved is random, not a program (song, in this case). Photo or movies will work too.

    I am NOT saying saving music files is better, just another effective option.

    The idea behind a forensic analysis relies on the fact hard drives work by aligning magnetic particles on the platters in such a way they (the particles) represent a 1 or 0. Some "residual" magnetism of the previous data may remain that might be picked up by very expensive specialized equipment when those drives are disassembled and the platters are removed from the drive. The drive's own R/W heads are not sensitive enough or capable of detecting those super low-level residual magnetic fields, so the platters MUST be removed then analyzed individually by that very expensive, specialized equipment.

    And the reason the drive's own R/W heads are not sensitive enough is intentional! Otherwise, the R/W heads would pickup the magnetic fields ("the data") in the adjacent tracks and sectors instead of just the one sector is supposed to be reading.

    So what is free space? If I completely fill my HDD capacity with all the music files I could probably get, then it would fill up the available "free-space" too automatically, isn't it?
    Yes. Free space just means that space is available to save data in. If the drive is 1/2 full with Windows, Office, and your data files, then the rest of the disk space is "free". If you fill the rest of the drive with music files, there is no free space left and that would be the same as "one pass" with a wipe program as far as "overwriting" any previously saved (but "deleted") data. Remember, deleted files are not really deleted or erased, the space is just marked as free in the drive's allocation tables.

    The only difference is with a wipe program, after the pass, the space is marked as available (free) again. When using music files, you would have to delete the files to free up the space.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Conflicting statements..guess someone is correct here.

    At least we can't twist facts, so which is correct?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    thanks for correcting me.i could have sworn thats what my teacher said .i now know why i failed ...ty
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    India
    Posts : 1,536
    Win 8.1 Update x64


    Everything is cleared up
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Best program to clean my PC
Related Threads
Hello, I'm looking for a command prompt script or other file to be able to manually enter a time to run a file. The idea I'm looking for is to execute the script or other file, enter a time into a pop-up prompt (i.e. 9:24) and have the computer execute the file at that time. I'm looking...
Greetings, I've done a clean install of Windows 8 + installed all Windows updates. After doing so I ran the disk clean-up tool to remove temp files and saved files from Windows updates, however I have ran into a problem. The disk clean-up tool gets stuck when it reaches the Windows update...
Hello friends My program and features list is emptied by malware but all programs are working normally. Please help me how do I re-entry the deleted (not uninstalled) programs' name in the control panel program and features?
Clean Install in Installation & Setup
As per topic, I am after doing clean install on my laptop to get rid of bloatware, but there are 2 preinstalled softwares I would like to re-install. How can I do that? Thanks
Hi, I want to have a program (B) close automatically when I quit another program (A). I have created a .bat file, and it looks like this: What I would like to do it have the "GamersWindowRelocator.exe" (B) quit automatically when I exit/quit the first program (steam://run/220260) (A),...
Solved How often do you clean your pc? in Performance & Maintenance
I try to give my pc a thorough cleaning every three months. Then I dismantle the entire pc and clean every part of it. Making it dustfree etc. By doing this I try to avoid the clogging of dust. Also the pc stays silent when runnig due to the fact that the fans don't have to work very hard to keep...
Clean disk before clean install? in Installation & Setup
hello I had many problems with BSOD crashes, and decided to make a new clean install (SSD or harddisk). If I make a new clean install (no upgrade) is it enough to create 1 continuous unallocated disk and then it will make a clean install Or do I have to "clean up" my old disk first before making...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook