Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is 8 and 8.1 creating OS illiterate smartphone users?

  1. #111


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    next week ,it called win8.1.1 ,lol
    starting to get like mac, my MacBook is 10.6.8,i think it started with 10.4.1 for me
    I'll tell ya, Windows 8 seems more and more like the new Vista as time goes on. I'm trying to like it, it has good points, but
    2 whole years after its release and it's still a work in progress(not much of it at that), that's smelling like MS are lost on this one.
    There's nothing wrong with it. Could you share specific problems with windows 8? Legitimate issues that would make it the Dud you claim it to be? Something ... Anything ...
    Well other than the confused interface and the fact that it's not selling(one is consequence of the other), maybe you could throw in the underdeveloped apps, I don't know I'm sure a lot of people on this very forum could think of something, let alone the vast majority of Windows users still using Windows 7 and under...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately it seems that Windows 8 is the new Vista... Hopefully Windows 9 will be the new Windows 7. By the way, since we're on the subject of Win 8 short life span, when is the next Windows coming out?
    That depends on the mindset of the end user. Along with if they believe the FUD that the writers paid by MS to kill their own OS off.

    This is not the first, nor the last time that MS has committed Genocide on one of their own products.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Yes, unfortunately it seems that Windows 8 is the new Vista... Hopefully Windows 9 will be the new Windows 7. By the way, since we're on the subject of Win 8 short life span, when is the next Windows coming out?
    That depends on the mindset of the end user. Along with if they believe the FUD that the writers paid by MS to kill their own OS off.

    This is not the first, nor the last time that MS has committed Genocide on one of their own products.
    Assuming Windows 8 goes under, due to both the users and MS themselves, I wonder what the heck MS will come up with next. Will they completely scrap the Metro interface? If so, how is it going to be any different than Windows 7? Much like its split screen mode, Windows 8 and MS are at a crossroads right now, do they further the development of the Metro Apps and interface or do they start from zero? Someone on this forum said MS started developing Windows 8 back in 2009, when 7 came out, I hope they've been onto something else ever since 8 came out a couple of years ago.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    It's not a dud, it is actually a nice system for some people. But it does not sell. And that does not make it a shining star.

    Vista was also a very good system. I never had problems with it and I still run 2 Vista systems. But it did not sell either. They learned their lesson then, let's hope they'll learn their lesson now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Gold Coast (Australia)
    Posts : 702
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post

    I'll tell ya, Windows 8 seems more and more like the new Vista as time goes on. I'm trying to like it, it has good points, but
    2 whole years after its release and it's still a work in progress(not much of it at that), that's smelling like MS are lost on this one.
    There's nothing wrong with it. Could you share specific problems with windows 8? Legitimate issues that would make it the Dud you claim it to be? Something ... Anything ...
    Well other than the confused interface and the fact that it's not selling(one is consequence of the other), maybe you could throw in the underdeveloped apps, I don't know I'm sure a lot of people on this very forum could think of something, let alone the vast majority of Windows users still using Windows 7 and under...
    I am not asking allot of people rafael, I am specifically asking you because I am pretty sure its not the first time Ive read you saying Win 8 is a flop, so I am interested in what you personally think is wrong with it. Comparing it to Vista is kind of pointless, Vista wasn't that bad an operating system, depends on what you use an OS for. the only people I ever seen have a problem with vista where people who pirated it.

    It may just be my own opinion, but the only things I see stopping people from upgrading to Win 8 is money, fear, negative word of mouth from people driven by the fear of change, who mind you, have never used it longer than asking someone else if they can look at theirs.

    If you want a "bad OS" try Millennium. It was a failure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antspants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post

    I'll tell ya, Windows 8 seems more and more like the new Vista as time goes on. I'm trying to like it, it has good points, but
    2 whole years after its release and it's still a work in progress(not much of it at that), that's smelling like MS are lost on this one.
    There's nothing wrong with it. Could you share specific problems with windows 8? Legitimate issues that would make it the Dud you claim it to be? Something ... Anything ...
    Well other than the confused interface and the fact that it's not selling(one is consequence of the other), maybe you could throw in the underdeveloped apps, I don't know I'm sure a lot of people on this very forum could think of something, let alone the vast majority of Windows users still using Windows 7 and under...
    I have been using win8 since before the official release ,and on a couple of different desktops and laptops' and have had virtually no issues with it that I can remember ,as for apps ,don't use them much ,except for maybe a weather app and live radio streaming one or two .just started using it with 2 monitors and have no issues doing running apps on each at the same time and stuff like that,like in the attached image ,I like and would buy it and suggest it to others ,and I still install vista from time to time on users/customers computers
    happy computing
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    @antspants: Like I said before, it's an underdeveloped system, it's not as good looking as Windows 7 (which is a step back), it's apps are incomplete/in lack of options, the interface can be confusing and it is for most. But you are right in insisting on asking ME for reasons for not liking it, because I actually DO! I've said on this forum that I am really trying to like Windows 8/8.1. I'm giving it a chance that probably 90% of Windows users aren't prepared to do. The problem "I" see with it is that it's just an excellent idea that's been sort of misplaced in time. Maybe Windows 8 was created for a world that's not prepared for it, a world that maybe doesn't exist yet. And maybe never will, that's my fear, because I like it "as a concept", "as an idea". It's like one of those concept cars that manufacturers put on display at Car Shows every year but those concepts never make it into the actual market either because they're too different to what people are used to or because its ideas are too advanced for its time.
    Who knows? Maybe Windows 8 would've sold a whole lot more if touch screen monitors/laptops were more common than they currently are...
    As for me, I love it, but, "as a concept", for me, if the apps had been more developed, if they had more options, maybe Windows 8 would've been perfect. I don't know, maybe MS has run out of ideas after Windows 7 and put on sales something that was supposed to hit the shelves 5 years from now, or maybe never.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    It may just be my own opinion, but the only things I see stopping people from upgrading to Win 8 is money, fear
    That may be one reason. I think the main reason is that there is really not enough new and exiting function that would incent a desktop user to go for 8.1. If it comes with a new system, that's OK. But upgrading my 6 Vista and Windows7 systems would cost me as much as a 1 week vacation. I prefer the vacation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I think that's why they gave Windows 8 such a short life span . . . they hope to make it disappear.
    Yes, unfortunately it seems that Windows 8 is the new Vista...
    Hopefully Windows 9 will be the new Windows 7.
    By the way, since we're on the subject of Win 8 short life span, when is the next Windows coming out?
    Yeah, Windows 8/8.1 (although better) is the new Vista (bad) and Windows 7 will be the new XP (good). And then, hopefully, Windows 9 will be the new Windows 7 on steroids.

    Which next Windows? Windows 8.1.1 is coming out in April (some think April 1, but so far, I haven't seen the actual date). If you're talking Windows 9, I think we have awhile to wait.

    Although this machine and most likely my two laptops will take Windows 8.1, it really makes me angry that Microsoft left so many of their loyal supporters with older computers laying in the dirt.

    Speaking of Windows 9, I hope Microsoft will reach out to those of us who have tested Windows from "almost dogfood" to "RTM" (released to manufacturing) and invite us to test it. I won't hold my breath, though, because Windows 9 has probably been on the bench for awhile now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    It's not a dud, it is actually a nice system for some people. But it does not sell. And that does not make it a shining star.

    Vista was also a very good system. I never had problems with it and I still run 2 Vista systems. But it did not sell either. They learned their lesson then, let's hope they'll learn their lesson now.
    Other than the interface of Windows 8, and the difficulty of figuring out where things are, a few more things and a butt-ugly interface, after having used Windows 8 for about six months, I got used to it, can do what I need to do and figure out the rest. I recently updated to Windows 8.1 and don't see a whole lot of difference between it and Windows 8. Probably because I had time to adjust to 8 I guess.

    I beta tested both Vista and Windows 7. We beta testers (in the wild) told Microsoft Vista wasn't ready for prime time, although I had no real problems with it. However, I didn't get to use it very long before we started testing Windows 7. Although I wasn't connected to a corporation or any other large group, I was in a group that got "dogfood" (alpha of an alpha version) on both betas, which meant that I didn't spend very long on Vista RTM before we started eating Windows 7 "dogfood." And all that to say I wasn't on Vista RTM long enough to have real problems.

    Microsoft still doesn't understand that those of us "out in the wild" can put Windows, through quite rigorous testing that just doesn't have a chance of happening in a corporate environment. Instead, those beta testers out in the wild were "fired" by Sinofsky when he took over the Windows team, so a huge number of bugs and suggestions were never filed because they never came up in the corporate environment.

    I guess if I had one real complaint about how Microsoft runs its OS betas, it would be that they ask us to test the product, but don't listen to what we have to say. When a product is rushed out the door before it's ready because some high-up muckety muck says it's going to be released on a certain date, well, what can we expect . . .

    Cr-ea-eakkk! Stepping off soapbox now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Is 8 and 8.1 creating OS illiterate smartphone users?
Related Threads
Smartphone screen size in Chillout Room
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900V, and I love it. It is about 5.1-inch screen and borders on being a phablet, but still fits nicely in my pocket. It did make me wonder though... what is the limit for the practical screen size on a smartphone? Surely much bigger than this 5.1 inch screen would...
Creating all Subsequent Users on External HD in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi all - I want to set up my computer so that my administrative User account is stored locally, but all subsequent user accounts created are created on an external HD. Many of the guides and tutorials which show how to do this involve changing the registry, which I believe will not allow me...
Hey guys, quick question. I have an iPhone 4 and it has the ability to share its 3G data connection over USB (or WiFi) When I had Windows 7 and I put the option to share over USB, the minute I put the iPhone 4 in over USB, the connection would automatically be detected and used. But with...
Report: Nokia to bring blockbuster 41MP EOS Windows Phone to the US this summer | Windows Phone Central Well today, I post this. Nokia is rumored to be announcing one of their few new Windows Phones that apparently have been working on since April of last year. The screenshots of the phone seem...
I am seriously struggling with windows eight. I don't use computers often, about 1 hr a day to browse net. don't understand any of the lingo. I would like to plan my kitchen layout on here and have tried numerous websites but none of them work. They either do nothing, show a blank screen, tell me...
I wonder whether there will be a Desktop App for the ARM devices. I would think that fishing a document out of the explorer folder on a 4" screen can be pretty finagly.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook