Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #891


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

    Maybe this sleep problem occurs because people screw up their computers some way.
    Yup, I agree. Here are the ways they screw it up:

    1. On a new pc, they install a version of Windows 8. Huge user error. What are they thinking? This was my personal screw up also.

    2. On a Windows 8 preinstall, they screw it up by hitting the power switch. Another user attempting to turn on their machine. Gees don't they know anything?
    Newbie mistakes are rampant.

    It took me YEARS to get my PC to operate without errors.
    Once someone with little experience messes something up, I generally advise recovery or reinstall to factory settings, because God only knows what they did to their computer.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #892


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

    Maybe this sleep problem occurs because people screw up their computers some way.
    Yup, I agree. Here are the ways they screw it up:

    1. On a new pc, they install a version of Windows 8. Huge user error. What are they thinking? This was my personal screw up also.

    2. On a Windows 8 preinstall, they screw it up by hitting the power switch. Another user attempting to turn on their machine. Gees don't they know anything?
    Newbie mistakes are rampant.

    It took me YEARS to get my PC to operate without errors.
    Once someone with little experience messes something up, I generally advise recovery or reinstall to factory settings, because God only knows what they did to their computer.
    I can assure you that I am not a newbie. I'm not sure what your definition of newbie is but if people are posting to this thread they are most likely not what I would consider a newbie.

    I completely disagree with your assessment of this issue. Who would want a feature that only works if the configuration never changes and is literally impossible to diagnose and fix with the supplied tools or any other tools? Most people aren't even successful with a reinstall. And if you do manage to fix it the next update breaks it again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #893


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post

    Yup, I agree. Here are the ways they screw it up:

    1. On a new pc, they install a version of Windows 8. Huge user error. What are they thinking? This was my personal screw up also.

    2. On a Windows 8 preinstall, they screw it up by hitting the power switch. Another user attempting to turn on their machine. Gees don't they know anything?
    Newbie mistakes are rampant.

    It took me YEARS to get my PC to operate without errors.
    Once someone with little experience messes something up, I generally advise recovery or reinstall to factory settings, because God only knows what they did to their computer.
    I can assure you that I am not a newbie. I'm not sure what your definition of newbie is but if people are posting to this thread they are most likely not what I would consider a newbie.

    I completely disagree with your assessment of this issue. Who would want a feature that only works if the configuration never changes and is literally impossible to diagnose and fix with the supplied tools or any other tools? Most people aren't even successful with a reinstall. And if you do manage to fix it the next update breaks it again.
    I would consider you to be a newbie if your computer won't sleep as it should.
    Your OS & mine are the same.
    So I can only assume you have screwed yours up somehow.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #894


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post

    Yup, I agree. Here are the ways they screw it up:

    1. On a new pc, they install a version of Windows 8. Huge user error. What are they thinking? This was my personal screw up also.

    2. On a Windows 8 preinstall, they screw it up by hitting the power switch. Another user attempting to turn on their machine. Gees don't they know anything?
    Newbie mistakes are rampant.

    It took me YEARS to get my PC to operate without errors.
    Once someone with little experience messes something up, I generally advise recovery or reinstall to factory settings, because God only knows what they did to their computer.
    I can assure you that I am not a newbie. I'm not sure what your definition of newbie is but if people are posting to this thread they are most likely not what I would consider a newbie.

    I completely disagree with your assessment of this issue. Who would want a feature that only works if the configuration never changes and is literally impossible to diagnose and fix with the supplied tools or any other tools? Most people aren't even successful with a reinstall. And if you do manage to fix it the next update breaks it again.

    If you are so knowledgeable explain to me why my computer sleeps ok & yours does not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #895


    Posts : 8
    windows 8.1


    David Bailey-
    I would agree with your statement if this was a Mac forum. However, your statement seems very naive when we live in a Microsoft world. Just because I have the same OS as you does not mean anything.

    I have the exact same OS as you and my computer wont sleep. Who manufactures your USB 3.0 controller? It must not be Intel. The Microsoft driver for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller wakes computers up 15 seconds after they sleep. I would love to hear that someone with that device has a computer that sleeps correctly under 8.1. But I am certain I wont.

    Now as soon as I disable that device in the BIOS it sleeps like a baby.

    What do you say to people who have systems that slept perfectly fine under windows 8? Their only crime was to update to windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #896


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by ewtaylo View Post
    David Bailey-
    I would agree with your statement if this was a Mac forum. However, your statement seems very naive when we live in a Microsoft world. Just because I have the same OS as you does not mean anything.

    I have the exact same OS as you and my computer wont sleep. Who manufactures your USB 3.0 controller? It must not be Intel. The Microsoft driver for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller wakes computers up 15 seconds after they sleep. I would love to hear that someone with that device has a computer that sleeps correctly under 8.1. But I am certain I wont.

    Now as soon as I disable that device in the BIOS it sleeps like a baby.

    What do you say to people who have systems that slept perfectly fine under windows 8? Their only crime was to update to windows 8.1.
    They are doing something wrong.
    Same OS / different results>>>You figure it out...

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #897


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    moving along.....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #898


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    moving along.....
    So I'm correct.
    You cannot or will not explain it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #899


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I've done nothing strange to my computer & it sleeps good.

    Maybe this sleep problem occurs because people screw up their computers some way.
    Or not.

    Most likely though.

    When a computer ships from the factory, it works good.

    Once a person gets hold of it the problems crop up.

    If one computer sleeps ok & another does not sleep ok, it indicates to me it is the users fault.
    Not the OS or the computer's fault.

    I'm ready to get bashed.
    Be gentle.
    David, I don't do anything to a computer that's been set up by the vendor. I don't do anything to change the OS after installing it on my computer. I always leave everything on default.

    Last, but not least, when I let the Windows Store update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, I did not change anything from its default.

    Soooooooo, I'm bumfuzzled about my computer(s) being screwed up by myself. Further, I just cannot see how so many of the folks here, whose knowledge of computers is way, way, way, above my pay grade have done something to make the sleep problems their fault!

    That gentle enough?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #900


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

    Maybe this sleep problem occurs because people screw up their computers some way.
    Yup, I agree. Here are the ways they screw it up:

    1. On a new pc, they install a version of Windows 8. Huge user error. What are they thinking? This was my personal screw up also.

    2. On a Windows 8 preinstall, they screw it up by hitting the power switch. Another user attempting to turn on their machine. Gees don't they know anything?
    And we can add another one . . .

    3. They bought a new PC with Windows 8 installed and then went to the Microsoft Store for a downgrade to Windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook