Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #691


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Rockhound sounds very promising. Thanks a lot for your testing and sharing. I just heard that update one was now delayed until the March patch Tuesday. Unfortunately my 8.1 has now gone a bit flakey in ways other than just sleep. I'm going to see if update one will straighten it out and if not I'm afraid it will be a reinstall using update one code. Doesn't seem to be much point going through that until update one is released. I think I can get by until it's released.
    Unfortunately, we may have to wait until April for Update 1.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #692


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Rockhound sounds very promising. Thanks a lot for your testing and sharing. I just heard that update one was now delayed until the March patch Tuesday. Unfortunately my 8.1 has now gone a bit flakey in ways other than just sleep. I'm going to see if update one will straighten it out and if not I'm afraid it will be a reinstall using update one code. Doesn't seem to be much point going through that until update one is released. I think I can get by until it's released.
    Unfortunately, we may have to wait until April for Update 1.
    Actually I meant April. Thanks for the correction.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #693


    Posts : 14
    8.1 Pro x64


    Rockhound did you notice any new options when in Power Plan Settings?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #694


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by mw8t View Post
    Rockhound did you notice any new options when in Power Plan Settings?
    mw8t, I was hopeful of that too. However, the Power Plan Settings are exactly the same. No changes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #695


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mw8t View Post
    Rockhound did you notice any new options when in Power Plan Settings?
    mw8t, I was hopeful of that too. However, the Power Plan Settings are exactly the same. No changes.
    I think the main visible changes are being able to pin modern apps to the taskbar and being able to more easily close modern apps with a mouse.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #696


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Rockhound, thanks for the update! I might sashay over to pick up the leaked update. i don't have a sleep issue since the LAST MS update, but I like to see the changes MS is putting forth. The update is not on Technet but I do not think MS is doing anything with Technet since they announced its being turned off.
    Keep an eye out for RARE times when the computer should have gone to sleep but didn't. I get this maybe once a week or so and cannot pin it down to any specific thing (but I am leaning towards Steam from Valve).
    Fingers crossed everyone!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #697


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Rockhound, thanks for the update! I might sashay over to pick up the leaked update. i don't have a sleep issue since the LAST MS update, but I like to see the changes MS is putting forth. The update is not on Technet but I do not think MS is doing anything with Technet since they announced its being turned off.
    Keep an eye out for RARE times when the computer should have gone to sleep but didn't. I get this maybe once a week or so and cannot pin it down to any specific thing (but I am leaning towards Steam from Valve).
    Fingers crossed everyone!
    I got a notice the past few days that my Technet has been turned off after a 3 to 4 month extension. Also, I'm not sure they ever put beta stuff on there in the past . . . I don't remember any. But then, it's sorta RTM'd, so maybe?

    I do miss beta testing . . .

    Edit: It's not on Technet. Which you already said. However, to the good, it seems I still have access to Technet, but there's nothing left to test. I will continue to check, though. I do not want to go the Microsoft Store route ever again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #698


    Interesting info, Rockhound. Wouldn't mind trying the update but my worry would be to have to install from scratch when the official release comes out. Guess I'll wait! My system is pretty good at sleeping, now, anyway.

    Rockhound, out of curiosity, will your machine sleep while a youtube clip is playing? My 8.1 doesn't realise there is activity going on so will happily sleep during the video.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #699


    Posts : 60
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Interesting info, Rockhound. Wouldn't mind trying the update but my worry would be to have to install from scratch when the official release comes out. Guess I'll wait! My system is pretty good at sleeping, now, anyway.

    Rockhound, out of curiosity, will your machine sleep while a youtube clip is playing? My 8.1 doesn't realise there is activity going on so will happily sleep during the video.
    No, my computer does not sleep while a Youtube video is playing. When the video is playing, an audio driver is in use, and therefore halts the sleep command. The only way that I can think of where a computer would sleep while a Youtube video is playing is for there to be an override request for the audio driver.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #700


    Posts : 14
    8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Rockhound, thanks for the update! I might sashay over to pick up the leaked update. i don't have a sleep issue since the LAST MS update, but I like to see the changes MS is putting forth. The update is not on Technet but I do not think MS is doing anything with Technet since they announced its being turned off.
    Keep an eye out for RARE times when the computer should have gone to sleep but didn't. I get this maybe once a week or so and cannot pin it down to any specific thing (but I am leaning towards Steam from Valve).
    Fingers crossed everyone!
    I have sleep issues after a clean install with only drivers and updates installed so im pretty sure its the OS which is flawed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook