Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1401


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Even after leaving HomeGroup and not having srvnet show up in powercfg my computer still won't sleep so I doubt the above "fix" will work. This is hopeless. My Win 7 computers sleep perfect, with a HomeGroup, etc.

    In my mind the problem with 8.1 and sleep is due to Windows Maintenance.
    Guess that makes two of us now

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1402


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Thanks Orbit!

    Here is how to change the setting for Allow Standby with Remote Opens .This hopefully will allow sleep and Homegroups to coexist on Win8.1. Changing the registry here will not hurt anything so go ahead!
    Will the instructions you posted allow that setting to be "unhidden" for all three power plans? You only show High Performance.
    Bru, the change affects all of the power settings, balance, etc. Did not fix my sleep tho. Back to standby helper

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1403


    Posts : 149
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Bru, the change affects all of the power settings, balance, etc. Did not fix my sleep tho. Back to standby helper

    Thanks. I won't even bother doing the edit then. Sorry it didn't work.

    I still wonder why StandbyHelper won't work for me. I have basically an out of the box computer which was updated to 8.1 and had a total of two maintenance programs added (CCleaner, MBAM Pro) and it won't sleep reliably. Ridiculous.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1404


    Funny that standbyhelper didn't work for me either. I didn't persevere very long with it but it just didn't sleep my machine in the time I had it running. Pretty weird.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1405


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Funny that standbyhelper didn't work for me either. I didn't persevere very long with it but it just didn't sleep my machine in the time I had it running. Pretty weird.
    DamnifIknow. There is obvious several different process (and/or driver) issues why some computers are not sleeping. I would try the Remote Open setting as it could fix your particular problem while SH fixes mine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1406


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Funny that standbyhelper didn't work for me either. I didn't persevere very long with it but it just didn't sleep my machine in the time I had it running. Pretty weird.
    DamnifIknow. There is obvious several different process (and/or driver) issues why some computers are not sleeping. I would try the Remote Open setting as it could fix your particular problem while SH fixes mine.
    Mine is sleeping very reliably ATM so leaving well alone!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1407


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    Bru, the change affects all of the power settings, balance, etc. Did not fix my sleep tho. Back to standby helper

    Thanks. I won't even bother doing the edit then. Sorry it didn't work.

    I still wonder why StandbyHelper won't work for me. I have basically an out of the box computer which was updated to 8.1 and had a total of two maintenance programs added (CCleaner, MBAM Pro) and it won't sleep reliably. Ridiculous.
    Anyway you don't need to play in the registry just set your power plan to BALANCED and allow standby with remote opens will be set to YES by default.

    In high performance, the option is set to NO by default.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1408


    Again, I repeat, it will only solve the srvnet sleep issue, not the RANDOM sleep issue. (I call it that way because when you do powercfg /requests, there is nothing, no reason why our PC refuses to sleep)

    You need to solve all regular sleep issues before.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1409


    Posts : 8
    8.1


    So I had this error for so long and am so pissed, BUT I might have found a solution (at least for me)

    I found 2 processes that hinder the sleeping. One of them is SETTINGSYNCHOST.exe. This is definitely responsible at times.

    I painstakingly disabled all processes first batch, then one at a and this was the one after which the computer slept.
    So my advice: Disable it!
    It reenabled for me after having closed it, but the comp still sleeps at least for now, havent rebooted yet. Will tell you if it reoccurs after reboot at times. If it fails the next step will be to disable sync completely under settings.

    Another one that might be responsible is WWAHOST something that is responsible for metro apps. It taxes the GPU (maybe SLI is a factor) and prevents sleep.


    With this I have at least temporarily tackled the issue after having reinstalled win on a new drive, disabling all open programs and destroying several household items out of pure frustration of the error still occurring.

    Please give me feedback whether this helped you, too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1410


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by f00k00f View Post
    So I had this error for so long and am so pissed, BUT I might have found a solution (at least for me)

    I found 2 processes that hinder the sleeping. One of them is SETTINGSYNCHOST.exe. This is definitely responsible at times.

    I painstakingly disabled all processes first batch, then one at a and this was the one after which the computer slept.
    So my advice: Disable it!
    It reenabled for me after having closed it, but the comp still sleeps at least for now, havent rebooted yet. Will tell you if it reoccurs after reboot at times. If it fails the next step will be to disable sync completely under settings.

    Another one that might be responsible is WWAHOST something that is responsible for metro apps. It taxes the GPU (maybe SLI is a factor) and prevents sleep.


    With this I have at least temporarily tackled the issue after having reinstalled win on a new drive, disabling all open programs and destroying several household items out of pure frustration of the error still occurring.

    Please give me feedback whether this helped you, too.
    Nice approach. I wonder if it's possible that one of these processes get launched during maintenance and hang around until reboot? I'll certainly check that out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook