Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1261


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
    Wow. +Wynona. Elegantly stated.
    Thank you. I just feel like credit should be given where credit is due and I hate for folks who've tried as hard as y'all have to be dissed!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1262


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    "COPYING AND PASTING TO THE CONTROL PANEL IS JUST SCARY" what are you on about?

    The post advised people to check the background processes on their computer as 3rd party software might be the problem on their system. If the user installed the software in the first place then surely they can remove it, what's so technical about that? I advised users to search for the application and I also stated not remove any Windows system files or shut any Windows processes down.

    Windows updates could include updated manufactures drivers which could fix the problem on some machines, but, that buggy driver might have shown up in the Resource Monitor, you know, that piece of scary software that Microsoft provides so users can destroy the OS running on their machines! The December Windows update didn't fix my problem. As far as I was aware the OKI printer software was okay to use on Windows 8, that's why I didn't test it, who would, really, it was a brand new machine! In the end, and, when I had the time, I did trace the problem back to the software, which I've explained. The MS Support Engineer's answer was not the best I've seen, it's very ambiguous, why write: "screen savers do not work on Windows 8" in the answer, I think your just trying to splitting hairs there. I gave the Logitech Solar 1.10 software as an example to help people out, I do not use the software or the hardware, again your just splitting hairs. There are a lot of people on the web who just give out bad information and who waste people's time, and, when you spend days searching for an answer to a problem, it does kind of get on your nerves, and, guess what, that makes me angry! I could go on but I've got better things to do.

    I still stand by what I've said: Windows 8.1 does not have a screen saver or a power plan bug, it's 3rd party software that's the problem, that's why I recommended doing a simple background resources check in using the Resource Monitor in Windows. As I've stated, I've tested my machine repeatedly, and it's now running perfectly, there were no bugs in the Windows OS.

    Bottom line: Instead of writing your negative comments and dissecting peoples answers why don't you come up with some answers? And, if you don't like my advice then just ignore it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1263


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    I would like to respond to being accused of "dissing" 'NCguy' by 'Wynona' - I have not "dissed" anyone, so please don't repeat that remark.

    If anyone's been "dissed" it's me. 'NCguy' said: "gees this thread has become a magnet for people selling their doctor proven miracle cures"; I found that very offensive.

    'NCguy' has constantly criticised my post from the off and dismissed my findings because of the "sample size", but, has offered no hard evidence to contradict it when asked to. I'm still waiting for an answer to my last question.

    I have worked hard and spent days researching the problem. I have also tested my 'fix' to the hilt before posting the results which I hope will help other people with the same problem.

    Stop wasting my time by being negative and come up with some constructive answers yourselves.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1264


    Posts : 286
    W8.1 Pro 64


    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I would like to respond to being accused of "dissing" 'NCguy' by 'Wynona' - I have not "dissed" anyone, so please don't repeat that remark.

    If anyone's been "dissed" it's me. 'NCguy' said: "gees this thread has become a magnet for people selling their doctor proven miracle cures"; I found that very offensive.

    'NCguy' has constantly criticised my post from the off and dismissed my findings because of the "sample size", but, has offered no hard evidence to contradict it when asked to. I'm still waiting for an answer to my last question.

    I have worked hard and spent days researching the problem. I have also tested my 'fix' to the hilt before posting the results which I hope will help other people with the same problem.

    Stop wasting my time by being negative and come up with some constructive answers yourselves.
    As I said your research has value but I also consider you offensive and have refrained from continued response because I see no value in endless tit for tat. You said yours, I've said mine and don't expect any additional response from me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1265


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    I suggest in the future that you keep your negative views to yourself unless you have hard evidence to contradict someone else's hard work. I found you to be a really annoying person, and, I bet you never even investigated my results before you posted your offensive replies.

    Please don't reply to this post and that also includes your buddy 'Wynona', as well, as I find both of you to be very offensive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1266


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I suggest in the future that you keep your negative views to yourself unless you have hard evidence to contradict someone else's hard work. I found you to be a really annoying person, and, I bet you never even investigated my results before you posted your offensive replies.

    Please don't reply to this post and that also includes your buddy 'Wynona', as well, as I find both of you to be very offensive.
    hope you suggestion in you first post helps others fix there issue .if you just had not said it wasn't a win8.1 bug all would have been ok .lol
    I to don't see how it could be a win8.1 bug,because for me how could it be, when all 3 of my win8.1 installs have never had a sleep issue anytime I had it set to sleep . ,and that I think its 3rd party related ,but I have no proof of course ,just an un-educated guess ,and have said so in another post in this thread .I think you are likely correct when you say the windows update that fixed it for some was like a 3rd party driver /software update ,and a direct win8.1 update ,happy hunting
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1267


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    "COPYING AND PASTING TO THE CONTROL PANEL IS JUST SCARY" what are you on about?
    Go back and read this paragraph in your original post and you'll see what I'm "on about".

    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I found the running process by going to: Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Resource Monitor > CPU Tab. Open Control Panel and copy and paste this: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools, then click on Resource Monitor, click the CPU tab, then click the CPU column header to sort the processes by usage. The process using the most CPU will then be at the top of the list, it bounces about a bit so shut down unnecessary applications before you start. Click on the Name column header to sort by name (default). You will see lots of system processes and they may be duplicated, don't worry that's normal. When the computer is idle the system processes should be at 0% CPU usage. Look for a process that's linked to some 3rd party software you have installed, then check it by searching for the file on your system and see what application installed it. In my case it showed that the OKI PrintSuperVision software was still running and PSVEngine.exe was consuming about 3% CPU usage, even though it had been terminated? It was stopping my computer from going into idle mode, therefore the screen saver and the power options just wouldn't kick-in. I've tested my computer repeatedly and all the screen and power option are now working perfectly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1268


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I would like to respond to being accused of "dissing" 'NCguy' by 'Wynona' - I have not "dissed" anyone, so please don't repeat that remark.

    If anyone's been "dissed" it's me. 'NCguy' said: "gees this thread has become a magnet for people selling their doctor proven miracle cures"; I found that very offensive.

    'NCguy' has constantly criticised my post from the off and dismissed my findings because of the "sample size", but, has offered no hard evidence to contradict it when asked to. I'm still waiting for an answer to my last question.

    I have worked hard and spent days researching the problem. I have also tested my 'fix' to the hilt before posting the results which I hope will help other people with the same problem.

    Stop wasting my time by being negative and come up with some constructive answers yourselves.
    Actually, I didn't accuse you of dissing NCGuy. I said, "I just feel like credit should be given where credit is due and I hate for folks who've tried as hard as y'all have to be dissed!" Y'all doesn't mean just one person . . . it can mean two or more, and in this case, it means 'a whole lot of folks'! In your paragraph quoted below, you say you've gotten really bad advice from people who just guessed at what was causing the problem but had not bothered to test their theories. This looks to me like an indictment of everyone who's offered up a possible solution and/or worked on this problem from the get-go.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I had searched high and low for days for an answer and had wasted hours because of really bad advice from people who just guessed at what was causing the problem but had not bothered to test their theories. In one case a so called self-appointed computer 'guru', advised people that there was no fix and to wait until Microsoft had sorted the problem out in some future update, well you'll be waiting a long time for that to happen. Worst of all is the reply from a so called Windows Support Engineer who said that: "screen savers do not work on Windows 8", I kid you not, read it here: Screensaver is not working in WIN 8 - Microsoft Community. I think Microsoft's attitude has been really poor over this issue, and if that's the standard of advice from their engineers, God help us all!
    And now, I join NCguy in saying that although some of your research has value, I am not interested in endless "tit for tat" either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1269


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    Hi caperjack,

    Thanks for the input, at last someone with a bit of common sense.

    As you say, it's a 3rd party software problem, how can it be a Windows OS bug if your three machines are okay and my machine is okay? If it was a Windows bug then none of our machines would work properly because of it, it doesn't take a genius to work that one out. The only change I have made was to remove the offending software and rebooted. After that, my computer started working properly. I got a Windows update this morning and it's still okay.

    I explained what I did to fix my machine and stated my opinion which was based on hard work and concrete evidence. 'NCguy' didn't agree, I said fine he was entitled to his opinion and only time will tell, but, the guy just doesn't know when to shut up, he just kept harping on about the "sample size" and never produced any hard evidence to contradict my experience, even though I've asked.

    Then we have 'Wynona' who had her 10c worth in a really bizarre post, again, totally negative and with no hard contradictory evidence. She's now had another go even after I told her not to reply to my last post, another one who doesn't know when to quit.

    I told them to ignore my advice if they didn't agree but, as I say, the pair of them just don't when to shut up, all you get is total negativity, they think they own the forum and they are always right.

    I really wonder why I bother trying to help people when you have people like that on a forum.

    Cheers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1270


    LIVERPOOL, UK
    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 (x64)


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I would like to respond to being accused of "dissing" 'NCguy' by 'Wynona' - I have not "dissed" anyone, so please don't repeat that remark.

    If anyone's been "dissed" it's me. 'NCguy' said: "gees this thread has become a magnet for people selling their doctor proven miracle cures"; I found that very offensive.

    'NCguy' has constantly criticised my post from the off and dismissed my findings because of the "sample size", but, has offered no hard evidence to contradict it when asked to. I'm still waiting for an answer to my last question.

    I have worked hard and spent days researching the problem. I have also tested my 'fix' to the hilt before posting the results which I hope will help other people with the same problem.

    Stop wasting my time by being negative and come up with some constructive answers yourselves.
    Actually, I didn't accuse you of dissing NCGuy. I said, "I just feel like credit should be given where credit is due and I hate for folks who've tried as hard as y'all have to be dissed!" Y'all doesn't mean just one person . . . it can mean two or more, and in this case, it means 'a whole lot of folks'! In your paragraph quoted below, you say you've gotten really bad advice from people who just guessed at what was causing the problem but had not bothered to test their theories. This looks to me like an indictment of everyone who's offered up a possible solution and/or worked on this problem from the get-go.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebelno1 View Post
    I had searched high and low for days for an answer and had wasted hours because of really bad advice from people who just guessed at what was causing the problem but had not bothered to test their theories. In one case a so called self-appointed computer 'guru', advised people that there was no fix and to wait until Microsoft had sorted the problem out in some future update, well you'll be waiting a long time for that to happen. Worst of all is the reply from a so called Windows Support Engineer who said that: "screen savers do not work on Windows 8", I kid you not, read it here: Screensaver is not working in WIN 8 - Microsoft Community. I think Microsoft's attitude has been really poor over this issue, and if that's the standard of advice from their engineers, God help us all!
    And now, I join NCguy in saying that although some of your research has value, I am not interested in endless "tit for tat" either.

    Don't try and make excuses, you were referring and replied to this post! Also, I wasn't on about the people on this forum, I was on about people in general on the web giving bad advice while researching the problem, which I explained in my post if you had bothered to read it properly.

    Now go away, you really are very negative bizarre and annoying person!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook