Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep

  1. #1111


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Who is this Vonnie? She seems to have been able to identify most of the issues that some have reported in this 111 page thread and she even provides the workarounds that were suggested here as well. The only difference is she was able to do it on a single page so there is no more need to read through 1,101 posts when looking for a workaround. BTW, all the comments are on the same page as well. However, she does not encourage anyone to report their issue directly to Microsoft or the manufacturer of their hardware and she also assumes it must be a MS issue but she herself makes no mention of reporting any of these issues to MS either. Hopefully, this will be a great time-saver for anyone looking for workarounds because it is much easier to browse a single page than read through 1,101 posts.

    Windows 8.1 won't sleep | fixedByVonnie

    SpringUpdate
    Oops, missed the link . . . thought it was a forums link.

    Unless I miss my guess, no one here recognizes Vonnie. We've been given links to other sites/blogs that cover the Windows 8.1 sleep issue. Most cover basically what Vonnie has covered. Some are being helped and some are not even close to solving the issue.

    Not to take anything from Vonnie because at least she's trying; however, everything she identifies has been extensively discussed in this thread. Further, many more problems/issues (and solutions) with sleep than what Vonnie identifies are contained herein.

    That said, several of us have made an attempt (myself included) to go through and and identify everything that's been discussed, but each of us have been daunted by the sheer volume of the thread. I know I'm kinda speaking out of turn for those who have said they would catalog all the issues, but the job hasn't been completed so far. And I don't wonder why!

    I believe John has succeeded best so far, but I believe even he says it's just too big a job.

    Edit: Whoa! Look at the number of my post! Sheesh, and I was talking about the volume of this thread!?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #1112


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by SpringUpdate View Post
    Hi Wynona,

    Please nail down one specific issue so we can get the ball rolling with Microsoft. As you are aware, Microsoft will require a condition that is identifiable and re-creatable to be able to address it with a patch.

    SpringUpdate
    SpringUpdate, are you an alias for another name on this site? I noticed how few posts and you started only a couple of weeks ago but have 41 rep points already? Along with upsetting several posters here, heh.

    Anyways, if you want to help in this post you have to take the time to read through all of the posts. We have contacted the MS forums on several occasions and have links attached in several posts to this. We also have contacted MS directly and received some replies from MS that only pointed to the more obvious causes of sleep issues. As for a specific issue, I again urge you to read through all of the posts. The issue is simple and the one that we are all having, the computer will not sleep reliably using the normal settings on the power setting. We have all tried the obvious fixes that are contained on post 162 and that work fine on my other three computers at home. As for a temporary fix, the most obvious one that we all noticed was that turning off networking cured sleep.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #1113


    Posts : 149
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I updated to Windows 8.1 through the Store. This HP 500-056 developed insomnia immediately. IOW, she no longer would go into sleep mode, although I had Power Options set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. Somewhere along the line, in the July/august time frame, Win 8.1 got corrupted and I attempted to use the recovery disks I'd made when I first got the computer, but no such luck! Upshot of the matter was that I had to send her back to HP for warranty repair. She came back the same as if I'd just bought her . . .

    I was gun shy, so I didn't upgrade to Windows 8.1 again until February or March 2014. If you read further down the thread, you'll discover that the December 2013 Windows Update automagically fixed a large number of computers with the no sleep/insomniac problem. Because my HP 500-056 had been among those with failure to sleep issues, I fully expected the same condition after updating to Windows 8.1 for the second time; however, one thing good about Windows 8/8.1 is that the Microsoft Store rolls all past updates into the "current" update you get. At any rate, since I didn't update to Windows 8.1 until after the December update, whatever fixed the sleep issue in that update was now included in my update and my computer slept as it should.

    And, of course, the April 8 Windows 8.1 Update left things intact and my computer still sleeps as it should.
    So why won't my machine sleep properly? Purchased in March 2014. Came with 8. Updated to 8.1 from the Store. So it should have had the December 2013 updated/fix already in there like you say. Yet the minute it was 8.1 it didn't sleep reliably. It will sleep after reboot but then eventually won't.

    IF the December update "fixed" the sleep issue mine never should have had an issue since I only installed 8.1 after that "fix" was released and therefore included in my update to 8.1. Yet I do have a sleep issue.

    All attempts to solve the problem using the known "fixes" have not worked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #1114


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I updated to Windows 8.1 through the Store. This HP 500-056 developed insomnia immediately. IOW, she no longer would go into sleep mode, although I had Power Options set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. Somewhere along the line, in the July/august time frame, Win 8.1 got corrupted and I attempted to use the recovery disks I'd made when I first got the computer, but no such luck! Upshot of the matter was that I had to send her back to HP for warranty repair. She came back the same as if I'd just bought her . . .

    I was gun shy, so I didn't upgrade to Windows 8.1 again until February or March 2014. If you read further down the thread, you'll discover that the December 2013 Windows Update automagically fixed a large number of computers with the no sleep/insomniac problem. Because my HP 500-056 had been among those with failure to sleep issues, I fully expected the same condition after updating to Windows 8.1 for the second time; however, one thing good about Windows 8/8.1 is that the Microsoft Store rolls all past updates into the "current" update you get. At any rate, since I didn't update to Windows 8.1 until after the December update, whatever fixed the sleep issue in that update was now included in my update and my computer slept as it should.

    And, of course, the April 8 Windows 8.1 Update left things intact and my computer still sleeps as it should.
    So why won't my machine sleep properly? Purchased in March 2014. Came with 8. Updated to 8.1 from the Store. So it should have had the December 2013 updated/fix already in there like you say. Yet the minute it was 8.1 it didn't sleep reliably. It will sleep after reboot but then eventually won't.

    IF the December update "fixed" the sleep issue mine never should have had an issue since I only installed 8.1 after that "fix" was released and therefore included in my update to 8.1. Yet I do have a sleep issue.

    All attempts to solve the problem using the known "fixes" have not worked.
    Sadly, Bru, the December update only fixed some of the systems with the sleep issue as I said in my post: ". . . the December 2013 Windows Update automagically fixed a large number of computers with the no sleep/insomniac problem." When December's Patch Tuesday came out, there was quite a stir . . . some systems finally went to sleep and stayed asleep, while others did not. Going on that premise, and since my system wouldn't sleep when I updated to Win 8.1 prior to the December update but it does now, I can only "assume" that's what let mine sleep when I updated in February or March.

    Not all systems are the same, nor do they all have the same peripherals hanging off them; therefore, I cannot tell you or anyone else why the sleep issue persists in some systems and not others. We can only keep searching and hope to find the answer.

    If I remember correctly, as John Pombrio has said, three of his four systems (I think they're all identical) sleep fine, but one won't. Go figure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #1115


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Go figure ,wouldn't it be wonderful if someone could fix it ,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #1116


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Go figure ,wouldn't it be wonderful if someone could fix it ,
    Ohhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhhh!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #1117


    It is not solvable at our level. This issue need to be ADRESSED in source code by MS. That's what I think right now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #1118


    At least MS should be able to diagnose just where things are going wrong. They have the debugging and logging tools. It can't be that hard to check what is holding up sleep with the knowledge of what ought to be happening. Any of us who have been programmers know about breakpoints and logging for starters.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #1119


    I'm not a programmer, and I usually solve everything that is within my capabilities. I still think they forgot to update the power management to fit the needs of Win 8.1. The last Windows is like Vista. Again last week I updated another laptop to 8.1 and I've got compatibility issues with some applications... why? Lol

    This time I am really happy because we need this laptop to NEVER sleep or shut down so I've avoided the boring sleep issues.

    Maybe running power management in compatibility mode could solve the problem lol but I don't think that's possible.

    Hello to everybody by the way. At least we exchange ideas, that´s good!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #1120


    Posts : 102
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro


    Hi orbitalfenstra,

    You have made some great suggestions throughout this thread and you continue to provide some of the best commentary with regard to this subject. Also, I think you are on the right track with the power management issue as one of the possible issues:

    I still think they forgot to update the power management to fit the needs of Win 8.1.
    Specifically, I think the "they" you are referring to is more of a vendor issue than a MS issue for motherboards with an older BIOS because many of the older rigs (vendors) fail to provide a compatible power management driver that works with Windows 8.1.

    I also feel that anyone with a new computer under warranty (with 8.1 pre-installed) should pursue their own specific issue via their vendor support. They made it, they sold it, they should be able to fix it (hopefully).

    Again, I just wanted to mention that I admire your individual contributions to this thread.


    SpringUpdate
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep
Related Threads
For some reason, Windows refuses to let any program (utorrent, iexplore, firefox...) connect to animetorrents.me (reporting that it cannot locate the server in Firefox and telling the me machine actively refused the connection in uTorrent) I can access the site through a proxy (eg: by going to...
When trying to boot Windows 8, it gets stuck at a black screen. I tried automatic repair and refreshing my pc. I need a dvd to refresh my pc which I don't have. I tried bcdboot but apparently the problem is not with the boot process. It seems that the only option left is to reinstall Windows 8...
I don't know if this is a software problem or not, so forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post it on. My Asus Q301LA refuses to wake from sleep mode if the charger is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. To elaborate, all that happens is the light on the power button comes on, but my...
After much trouble getting Windows Media Player to "see" several music files, I finally was able to burn a CD for use on a common stereo player. All tracks are short because they are simply sound effects for use on stage. I create a burn list of 1Music, 2Music, etc., through 25Music. I end up...
It will sleep when told, as far as I can tell... and it will hibernate if I manually right click and tell it too, So I've enabled hibernate, went into advanced setting under sleep to tell the computer when to hibernate. I set it to what ever time. It refuses to hibernate at the allotted time...
Amazing... I searched for "sleep" here and found the "Windows 8.1 refuses to sleep" thread, which is still going strong after almost 800 posts, talking about the exact opposite problem to the one I'm having! (Now, needless to say, I haven't read the entirety of that thread - yet; could someone...
I bought a new Dell 5 weeks ago (my old one of 9 years died) sadly it came with Wiin 8 installed? I wish I hadn't? The accounts and Passwords are atrocious. I have been locked out Twice using the same password I have used for 5 years and had used the night before and then had to wait a week for a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook