Windows XP diehards: Can you survive April 2014 deadline?

Some organisations intend to keep running Windows XP after support ends next April, but the options for doing so safely are narrowing.

To those planning to stick resolutely with the aged Windows XP operating system even after Microsoft ends support next year, the advice from experts is simple: Don't do it.

But despite the chorus of warnings, there are fallback measures for diehard XP users, who could still constitute as many as 40 percent of businesses. One in five of the organisations currently using the OS intend to stick with it after the 8 April 2014 end-of-life deadline for support, according to research from software consultancy Camwood.

Read more at: Windows XP diehards: Can you survive the April 2014 deadline? | ZDNet

WGA

I think Microsoft should've installed a killswitch into Windows XP that can be disabled by adding a registry key. Then the people who need XP for mission critical tasks could've just added the key while those that are sticking with XP because they never upgrade or update will be forced to do something.

It'd be risky though, and it would've had to have been in XP for a long time.

They did.
It was called WGA.
It was another unbridled success that endeared MS to the people.
:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
From a consumer or small business perspective, There are only two reasonable excuses for not abandoning XP yet.. Legacy hardware or legacy software.

This scenario exists in the Mac OS world as well with people who rely on software that won't run on the newer versions of OS X or their antiquated hardware is not compatible with the latest version of OS X.

This isn't a Windows exclusive discussion.

But the business expense reasoning no longer holds water. If your legacy hardware/software hasn't paid for itself 10x over a period of almost 10 years then perhaps it is time to close the proverbial doors and accept that your business is not successful or even self sustaining. There are leasing options, discounted licensing and tax write offs available for those businesses who need to upgrade.

Even the freelance professional should be able to afford a $700 PC and the latest edition of whatever professional software they are using such as Photoshop, CAD, etc. If not, then perhaps it's time for them to reconsider self employment.

Not trying to be mean. Just realistic. I worked many years for both Apple and Microsoft (obviously not at the same time) consulting businesses and professionals and the only times I've experienced push back with an upgrade plan was when the upper management was more interested in investing money in to their bonuses than in newer technology.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Alienware m14x
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT 650m
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
On the other hand, I have seen, repaired and worked on many industrial machines, 50 and more years old that with the addition of some newer controls and were much cheaper and more productive than most new ones that had to be changed every few years. Same with cars, had a 66 Mercury pickup and when my boss wanted to buy me brand new one just to see my crushed, I refused and told him that my pickup was 30 year old and would run 30 more and a new one would be dust in that time. Same with computers and OSes if it works and does what needed keep them and let them do what they are supposed to. There's a 386 with Win 3.1 that I recently repaired, happily running a saw mill operation and there's nothing new that could replace it. So I found 2 more of the same MBs and video cards and gave it to that friend of mine so he can run the operation many more years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
On the other hand, I have seen, repaired and worked on many industrial machines, 50 and more years old that with the addition of some newer controls and were much cheaper and more productive than most new ones that had to be changed every few years. Same with cars, had a 66 Mercury pickup and when my boss wanted to buy me brand new one just to see my crushed, I refused and told him that my pickup was 30 year old and would run 30 more and a new one would be dust in that time. Same with computers and OSes if it works and does what needed keep them and let them do what they are supposed to. There's a 386 with Win 3.1 that I recently repaired, happily running a saw mill operation and there's nothing new that could replace it. So I found 2 more of the same MBs and video cards and gave it to that friend of mine so he can run the operation many more years.

And no DRM to mess with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
When I read that you repaired an Intel 386 based PC with Windows 3.1, I couldn't compute! Holy crap! Was there literally nothing newer than the year 2000 that could had been used? That makes me so curious....

But I agree, certain machines can be used WELL past their sell by date. My car for example, is 23 years old and for the past few summers I've been working on repairs, restoring it, cleaning it, and replacing things in it to last another 23 years and more. It makes me laugh when I see adverts for cars that have an "Eco" option for the drive mode. Oh please, my car has TWO eco buttons, one for the transmission and the other for the AC compressor. Even some newer cars these days actually have some design of mine, a swooped hatchback five door sedan.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
@cokey:

I don't want to go too far OT but I'm a car guy and I'd love to know which car you have.

I have a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI with 213k on it and it looks and runs like new, and has had no major issues ever. I'll never sell it and will continue to drive it around 2-3 days a week.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
@cokey:

I don't want to go too far OT but I'm a car guy and I'd love to know which car you have.

I have a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI with 213k on it and it looks and runs like new, and has had no major issues ever. I'll never sell it and will continue to drive it around 2-3 days a week.
I'll be glad to take this off topic. :D

I have a 1990 Mazda 626 five door, a VERY rare car to find in the States as that particular model was only exported from Japan for only a few years to the US. I bought the car about 8 years ago and it literally was never driven a lot by the previous owner since I'm barely about to hit 100,000 miles soon. Right now, it's at 92Kish. It's still a virgin. ;)

I doubt I'll ever sell it as it in VERY nice condition for one, although it does need some work under the hood like new engine mounts as one went fouled a long time ago I guess and shifted the engine block a quarter of an inch. AC needs work of which I'll be doing very soon as it is hot as hell and I refuse to drive another summer in that car without AC. It's really a perfect summer car honestly, although I'd love a 2001 BMW 525i with a standard transmission as my winter car as those have rear wheel drive so it will be MUCH more ideal in snowy conditions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
When I read that you repaired an Intel 386 based PC with Windows 3.1, I couldn't compute! Holy crap! Was there literally nothing newer than the year 2000 that could had been used? That makes me so curious....

But I agree, certain machines can be used WELL past their sell by date. My car for example, is 23 years old and for the past few summers I've been working on repairs, restoring it, cleaning it, and replacing things in it to last another 23 years and more. It makes me laugh when I see adverts for cars that have an "Eco" option for the drive mode. Oh please, my car has TWO eco buttons, one for the transmission and the other for the AC compressor. Even some newer cars these days actually have some design of mine, a swooped hatchback five door sedan.
This 386 SX16 is used to directly control a log saw about 30m long and has 3 ISA control cards specially made for it controlling 12 relays, so not much newer MB could be used, maybe a 486 or Pentium 1 eventually, but those old MBs were made like tanks and are not bothered by power fluctuations in a remote location and on a few occasions by diesel generator. Software is just as old and would have to be rewritten for anything newer and besides it would be pretty difficult to retrain an 60yr. old lumberjack. So it keeps on chugging and if it was not for a nearby lightning strike it still would not need a repair. Would not even let me replace an old 12" IBM monochrome monitor, "colors distract him " he said.
PS. what do you mean year 2000, try 1995.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I would imagine that there will be some people who will gather up the most important updates for XP and maybe put it online somewhere.

At the end of Windows 98, some people put up a service where it attached to the Windows Update service with slight modifications, and downloaded all of the last updates and service packs. This stayed online for almost a year, until people started getting accommodated to Windows 2000- They urged people to skip over ME completely. I don't remember if MS Yelled about it, but I don't recall if they were able to stop it.

Later, there were "releases" of Windows 98 that you could download and it had all of those last updates pre-installed. I suppose, someone with gather up all of the important Windows XP Updates all in one place and allow people to download it.

When Vista came out and some OEM's would refuse to release Windows XP drivers for their machines, HP and Toshiba were two of them, many websites popped up offering Driver Disks for Toshiba Satellite Laptops and some HP Workstations. I think these sites still exist, but they ask money to create a Disk for your particular machine now, to cover burning and mailing the disks. Usually it's about 17 bucks flat.

MS will probably start yelling about this, but hey, they are stopping support, basically releasing their interest in these OS's, so what happens to them, to they fall into Public Domain? That's what should happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
They did.
It was called WGA.
It was another unbridled success that endeared MS to the people.
:doh:

Haha - And It was instantly defeated.

When WGA came out for XP, they blocked off all of the keys that were being used that had "FCGK" or something as the first four digits of the key. SO when you tried to download updates, you got a fairly rude message from Windows Update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Back