Windows Loses Some Users Despite the Arrival of Windows8.1

Microsoft launched 2 operating system versions in the last 12 months, but this hasn’t stopped the overall market share of its platform from losing a few points every 30 days.

According to market researcher Net Applications, Windows now stands at 90.66 percent, while Mac OS X comes second with 7.73 percent. Linux is third with only 1.61 percent.

The difference between Windows and the other platforms is huge, but Microsoft’s operating system keeps losing points and this isn’t at all a good thing.

Only last month Windows declined from 90.81 percent to 90.66 percent, with the trend clearly showing a dropping market share for what it remains the number one operating system for desktop computers.

Windows started the year with a share of 91.71 percent, but gradually lost points as more users made the switch to other platforms.
Windows Loses Some Users Despite the Arrival of Windows 8.1

Hello justmetoday. Welcome to 8 Forums.

They do. If you want a pre built system you can go to a manufacturer that offers a configurator.

31970d1384793574-windows-loses-some-users-despite-arrival-windows8-1-osc2.jpg
Look at your example Windows 8 is free, you have already paid for it in the price of your PC build, all the others they charge you an extra price for, now if they took off $50 - $100 for no OS (formatted only), then I would agree.

I also, think it is funny that they charge an extra $104 for the Windows 8.1 upgrade, which is a free update via the Windows stores. Well, it's not really funny.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
Depends on the manufacturer.
This offers free Windows 7, and a subtraction for Linux, also a subtraction for none.

oschoices.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I also, think it is funny that they charge an extra $104 for the Windows 8.1 upgrade, which is a free update via the Windows stores.

It's not free if you don't have an OS. So they charge $104 for Windows 8.1. (not an upgrade)

81os.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
This offers free Windows 7, and a subtraction for Linux, also a subtraction for none.
31971d1384793565-windows-loses-some-users-despite-arrival-windows8-1-oschoices.jpg

This is a better example, however most people buy from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon etc. where these choices aren't an option. Most everyone I know, would not have a clue, which was my point. Even you had to do a little searching to come up with a better option. You can do almost anything with a custom build, but that is not the main stream choices. IMHO

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
Wow. No surprise these big corps are able to get away with so much.

They really must start teaching this stuff in schools.

Your post seems to be vague. What exactly do you mean? Please expound.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
31971d1384793565-windows-loses-some-users-despite-arrival-windows8-1-oschoices.jpg

This is a better example, however most people buy from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon etc. where these choices aren't an option. Most everyone I know, would not have a clue, which was my point. Even you had to do a little searching to come up with a better option. You can do almost anything with a custom build, but that is not the main stream choices. IMHO

You're right, from your point of view. :thumb: ... but < > and this is typical of the software and hardware industry, the current for sale products are considered the best available today. You're not going to find Walmart or Best Buy selling machines with Windows XP on them. I think it is generally understood that a product offering is supposed to be better than something sold several years ago. It is very controversial considering the up and down systems like Vista or Windows ME that have surfaced. Still, I believe, it is the intent, whether or not they succeed, is to offer a better product, a.k.a. Windows 8+.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
The other thing you need to consider with the new system is the drivers. In my case, my Asus desktop supported windows 7 drivers, I had checked. Since I have several copies of Windows 7 (Microsoft Alumni get employee prices) I simply backed up Windows 8 and put on Windows 7. I will say that before I did that I ran Windows 8 for a couple of months and ran the Windows 8.1 beta and final release. My reasons for going back to seven were purely application oriented. I have some older computer games that struggled with Windows 8.x. I believe it was likely because of the advanced memory randomization Windows 8 security supports.

As far as the desktop goes, Windows 8.1 actually works pretty well. Some things are still goofy, like right clicking to find shutdown, and Microsoft removing the system image backup, but overall it's not a bad OS. If I had one complaint with it today, it would be how it gets flaky when running Windows 8.1 apps, at least on the desktop. I like the Facebook app, twitter and a few others. However, you open a few of them, go back to the desktop, came back in an hour and your machine isn't sleeping. So as a rule I don't run the apps. So between that, and my older games, Windows 8 just isn't for my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
The other thing you need to consider with the new system is the drivers.............you open a few of them, go back to the desktop, came back in an hour and your machine isn't sleeping. So as a rule I don't run the apps. So between that, and my older games, Windows 8 just isn't for my desktop.

This is very true. I can see this as a real problem for driver coders and companies that need drivers for their products. It's difficult and expensive to keep up. On the other hand, there are products out there that have not upgraded their drivers for years.

It was my problem with Microsoft technologies. My certificate of MCSE was always evolving and always required spending thousands of dollars on additional training, books, classes etc... so I gave up on it.

As far as sleeping, there is a huge thread about this, > ... not read most of it,
but my solution is to press sleep (the sleep button, if you have one)
on the keyboard when I walk away from the desktop. I do this all day. It sleeps peacefully.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I have a laptop that sleeps when I close the lid. Never fails.

There's another way to shut down/sleep/switch user/sign out/restart etc., that not a lot of folk mention. It is not really worth mentioning, it is really naff.

Click the bottom far right taskbar or press :winkey:+D to show the desktop, then Alt F4 to bring up the shutdown dialog, and select your poison.

The Shut Down Windows dialog is one of the worst implemented dialog boxes I have ever seen in Windows.
Screenshot (82).pngScreenshot (83).png

"What do you want the computer to do?" - it asks with the W underlined, which is a Windows convention that usually means that either pressing W or Alt+W will do something, perhaps open the drop down list in this case. It does nothing.

Switch user, Sign out, Sleep and Shut down all start with S, and only Restart begins with a different letter, R.
Pressing R selects Restart and S cycles between all the S choices. The arrow keys take you between the bottom and top choices by repeated pressing. Tedious and repetitive, and not intuitive to old hands with Windows. Home and Pg up keys take you to Switch User and Pg dn and End keys take you to Restart. The list is not even in alphabetical order.

The other choice is the bottom left right click to bring up the WinX menu - which is meant to be mouse clicked for the available choices. Screenshot (85).png

If the WinX menu is arrived at by pressing :winkey:+X, the keyboard shortcut letters for the menu choices are underlined.Screenshot (86).png

I think that's actually well thought out and intelligent, unlike the Shutdown dialog.
/rant

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
The minus $98 for none is excellent. I would install Mint Mate which I like more than Ubuntu.

Agreed.

Linux Mint 16 MATE RC has just been released.
It has a quick boot (~15s - 20s) and has low resource usage (~350 MB RAM, ~3.8 GB HDD space) on my PC.

The only issue I've noticed is the main menu is slow to open the very first time you use it in a session.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Not quite sure what you mean here.

NOBODY is forcing you to run Windows on your computer.
Whether you agree or not MS is a global monopoly. No I do not have a choice as Apple is too expensive and Linux will not run most of my software. I am stuck with windows. Don't get me wrong; I have been using and happily so, windows since win 95. The issue here is that MS has removed our ability of choice. It started with win 7 when we no longer could choose classic menus. MS forced us to accept changes irrespective of whether it made life more difficult. An example being the Ribbon
interface. What will it cost MS to just give us the choice of choosing to have classic menus etc?

I also have a question regarding Metro. I live in Africa and we pay internet by kbs used and it is expensive. I noticed that my win 8 laptop is using a lot of kbs. Although I have bypassed Metro with classic shell. Does Metro continue to run in the background?
Virtual Box is free as is VMWare Player, thus you can run just about any OS you want other then iMac's OS X. . .VM's can be your friend. . .:thumbsup: . . .BTW what is metro. . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
I appreciate the replies on the Windows sleep issue. Truth be told, I'm too lazy to hit the buttons. Well, that and I get little distracted. My desktop was Windows 8. I also work from home as a developer/IT manager and have my work laptop, dual screen system setup beside it. This allows me time to play on my personal computer when there is a lull in the workday. That being said, when work gets busy I'll ignore my desktop and at the end of the workday simply walk away. Thus the "laziness" factor.

Irregardless though, this points to something going on with Modern UI apps and the desktop that is stopping the PC from sleeping. I'm not a hater, so I'm not going to say throw out the Modern UI apps if you are running a desktop or laptop. I'm simply saying the "Metro" apps task switch/multi-task differently from desktop applications. It appears Microsoft has some sort of glitch between the two environments they need to tighten up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Not quite sure what you mean here.

NOBODY is forcing you to run Windows on your computer.
Whether you agree or not MS is a global monopoly. No I do not have a choice as Apple is too expensive and Linux will not run most of my software. I am stuck with windows. Don't get me wrong; I have been using and happily so, windows since win 95. The issue here is that MS has removed our ability of choice. It started with win 7 when we no longer could choose classic menus. MS forced us to accept changes irrespective of whether it made life more difficult. An example being the Ribbon
interface. What will it cost MS to just give us the choice of choosing to have classic menus etc?

I also have a question regarding Metro. I live in Africa and we pay internet by kbs used and it is expensive. I noticed that my win 8 laptop is using a lot of kbs. Although I have bypassed Metro with classic shell. Does Metro continue to run in the background?

MS is not a monopoly,. which implies you have no choice, Single Payer Health Care/Socialized Medicine, that IS a monopoly.

You do have a choice, if Apple and Linux do not work for you, You have Chrome OS, wooppss, sorry, may not work either for your needs. Can't blame the MS cause they are the only game in town when no one else is willing to put anything comparable out there.
that is like saying Apples are a monopoly, no other fruit is allowed to be an apple, dang monopolistic Mother Nature, curse you.

No one is stopping you or anyone else from building a New OS and getting it out there.
If you nor anyone else is willing to build something to compete with Windows, you can't complain about it.

As for Metro Apps, yes, many can run in the background, you may be able to stop them but going to Change PC Settings and turnign them off. But I have not search for where to turn them off at.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I don't know if Microsoft is legally a monopoly or not, and I don't care. I just know that realistically they're the only option available to about 95% of computer users.

I still don't know why people who dislike Windows 8 are supposed to simply shut up. I defended and supported Vista back in the day because I thought that despite the initial problems it would payoff immensely for the Windows platform, as it was indeed eventually. I think I have the same right to express an opinion now that I just can't see any value at all for the user in the direction that Microsoft is headed with Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
That is very well said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I don't know if Microsoft is legally a monopoly or not, and I don't care. I just know that realistically they're the only option available to about 95% of computer users.

I still don't know why people who dislike Windows 8 are supposed to simply shut up. I defended and supported Vista back in the day because I thought that despite the initial problems it would payoff immensely for the Windows platform, as it was indeed eventually. I think I have the same right to express an opinion now that I just can't see any value at all for the user in the direction that Microsoft is headed with Windows 8.
Where inthis thread has anyone told you to shut up, and if they had they probably got a shot across the bow. . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Yeah right Lee. Remember the heated discussions we had during the spring - especially with the guys from down under. Nobody (with reasonable arguments) was shut down - though we lost a couple of guys that got too personal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Yeah right Lee. Remember the heated discussions we had during the spring - especially with the guys from down under. Nobody (with reasonable arguments) was shut down - though we lost a couple of guys that got too personal.

HI WHS wasn't talking about last spring, was talking about this thread, and nothing else. . .:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige