Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market

We have a laptop that is 4 years old with Vista.
I don't want 50/50 app snap, I want fully customizing like I have today.
I really loved the 50/50 Aero Snap feature in Windows 7 and 8, and I'd love to see that in the apps with Windows 8. It would had been MUCH better than the 33/66 snap right now.

I can customize Windows 8 far better than vista, at least not so much for performance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Microsoft may be looking at similar data, as this week the Windows group's director of communications, Christopher Flores, confirmed that the company would partner with OEMs to launch a second wave of promotions for Windows 8 hardware.

Last weekend, U.S. retailer Best Buy kicked off a two-week deal that discounted touch-enabled Windows 8 PCs by $100.
Computerworld
Windows 8 uptake slows for third straight month - Computerworld

I notice the usual corporate mindset is being displayed.
"People aren't buying our product. We must run more ads!"
The thought never crosses their tiny minds, that the problem is with the product, not the lack of adverting. :doh:
"We're not wrong. The World is wrong."

I don't understand why some think Microsoft should support a three year old OS just because it's the most used right now. That will end up with another xp....

That's simple economics.

MS is a minnow in the consumer market (tablets and phones).

MS products are used by businesses (Windows and Office).
The only reason they had to support XP, was that businesses refused to use Vista.

If MS keeping p****** off their biggest customers, they won't have any market.
If businesses refuse to buy W8, MS will have no choice but to support W7 (and build an OS that businesses want).

Didn't MS already announce that W7 supposed to have support until 2020?

Hi there.

Having support is TOTALLY different to (from ??) DEVELOPING new products -- W7 is a relatively successful OS that won't need HUGE swathes of Ms to continue to support it so it can easily be done basically as a small "Side Show".

Very few businesses can survive by just staying still or not introducing new products. In any case by 2020 the workplace and its use of technology is likely to be quite significantly different so the support needed for W7 by then could conceivably be done by "One man and his Dog in a one of those under the Railway arch places".

Ms as far as business is concerned is probably (IMO a bit risky) gearing up to developing and supplying Cloud services where subscription rates and business license fees will net it oodles of dosh.

Ms IMO is also addressing the fact that as most of you have already long realized that you tend to have FAR FAR better computing kit at home than are usually provided for you in the workplace (unless you have a BYOD policy at work) and therefore need to provide suitable platforms on which to run this gear. Nobody really predicted the HUGE HUGE increase in the use of modern mobile devices like smart phones and tablets and we will see shortly decent 3-D and Virtual reality kit. In the future Holographic systems will also appear -- developing software for these types of systems requires a long lead time and are about as far removed from the "traditional Desktop OS" as the Abacus is from a Cray super computer.

W8 is only the START along this road --it will of course be refined as we go along and new hardware appears. By 2020 there could also be totally new applications around that we haven't even thought about too.

I for one think Ms is actually doing something RIGHT - even though I accept W8 has loads of flaws and there are always stick in the muds who think Desktop computing will stay unchanged forever.

W7 is fine if you want to work with a traditional desktop and not embrace anything new -- holographic projection, touch applications, extreme 3-D video etc etc. Nothing wrong IMO with W7 and if you like it continue to use it (you've got AT LEAST another 7 years to go) but I for one am GLAD Ms is moving forward even if they DO make a few mistakes on the way.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
If MS is as you say doing things right it is because they stumbled across it instead of designing for it.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world but the numbers don't lie, the OS is a major dog in terms of sales. Without oem machines the numbers would be so bad I suspect they would never be seen.

Holographic projection, touch apps, extreme 3d, yeah like either of these is poised to make a big breakout in the market. maybe in MS's eyes but that's about it.

Still at this point I have not a single friend that will even try it. Cracks me up but there it is. MS with my way or the highway attitude does themselves no favours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
If MS is as you say doing things right it is because they stumbled across it instead of designing for it.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world but the numbers don't lie, the OS is a major dog in terms of sales. Without oem machines the numbers would be so bad I suspect they would never be seen.

Holographic projection, touch apps, extreme 3d, yeah like either of these is poised to make a big breakout in the market. maybe in MS's eyes but that's about it.

Still at this point I have not a single friend that will even try it. Cracks me up but there it is. MS with my way or the highway attitude does themselves no favours.

It's a free market -- use it or not as you prefer -- W7 will remain for at least another 7 years -- but for someone to say they won't even TRY it especially as you can get a 90 day FREE evaluation seems to me not a very good method of approaching new ideas.

What is it with people who condemn Ms for selling an OS THEY want to and think it's fit for purpose -- we don't get the same complaint when a CAR manufacturer stops selling a favourite model and pushes a new one which some people might HATE.

Ms has a perfect right to make whatever it feels fit - or even to stop making Windows at all. The consumer in the end will decide and this isn't done in the next 3 days.

Ms is still a publically quoted company and if investors think it's going nowhere the stock will get absolutely hammered.

It's really DESKTOPS that are going nowhere -- or are an ever diminishing (and hence becoming a much less important) market so I don't think Ms is particularly looking to a future OS that is primarily Desktop orientated.

A desktop will be regarded as just another plug in device like a smart phone / tablet or some other pieces of hardware we haven't even thought about. I'm sure that Ms will make some concessions to the classic desktop user but as far as future devices are concerned desktops are beginning to equate to "Dinosaur Technology".

You might if you are a gamer even find in the not to distant future part of the OS dedicated purely for gaming to appear as well.

Designing in a Modular fashion makes sense at it's easy to add new pieces etc as time passes.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
jimbo45; What is it with people who condemn Ms for selling an OS THEY want to and think it's fit for purpose -- we don't get the same complaint when a CAR manufacturer stops selling a favourite model and pushes a new one which some people might HATE. [/QUOTE said:
Sorry Jimbo there are many examples out there regarding car manufacturers so not a good example IMO.

Like them or not but even Blackberry decided with their new 10 not to alienate their existing user base - offered with a touch or traditional querty keyboard. The problem with Win8 is the UI and it was not beyond the technical expertise of MS to offer either Metro (or whatever it's called) or Classic UI at install time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
jimbo45; What is it with people who condemn Ms for selling an OS THEY want to and think it's fit for purpose -- we don't get the same complaint when a CAR manufacturer stops selling a favourite model and pushes a new one which some people might HATE. [/QUOTE said:
Sorry Jimbo there are many examples out there regarding car manufacturers so not a good example IMO.

Like them or not but even Blackberry decided with their new 10 not to alienate their existing user base - offered with a touch or traditional querty keyboard. The problem with Win8 is the UI and it was not beyond the technical expertise of MS to offer either Metro (or whatever it's called) or Classic UI at install time.

Hi there
the existing user base DOESN'T HAVE to upgrade -- if your current computer works fine and the way you work is suited to W7 then keep it.

Blackberry is a different example as it's HARDWARE and you are buying NEW hardware.

If you buy a different new brand of TV for example it won't (or even shouldn't) work in exactly the same way as your old one.

The whole software market has plenty of example where some people don't like a newer release and stick with the old one -- for example the latest releases of Acronis IMO have a dreadful interface compared with the old classic Acronis True Image before they added all the Year prefixes such as Acronis Home 2011 etc.

Actually as it's been pointed out many times it's not at all difficult to get W8 to function and behave almost identically to W7 and believe it ot not some people actually LIKE the metro idea -- I'm not one of them though -- I'd prefer the updating tiles to be bought back as "Gadgets" again - but this of course wouldn't work on a small smart phone screen.

We shall see what happens --remember this is purely a FIRST iteration for Ms in this type of market.

I'm not sure what people expect Ms to do -- do you really WANT to see Ms go out of business. They won't make it by staying with an essentially Dinosaur (although well performing) OS -- W7--that has an ever diminishing marketdue to the declining (and quite large declining) use of desktop PC's -- Ms needs to embrace NEW devices for which support in W7 can't easily be done -- if it were that easy we'd still be running XP (albeit the 64 bit version).

I'll bet that if you walk into a PC store these days --if you can still find any Physical stores around -- you probably won't see ANY desktop work stations any more -- if you want one of these you'll probably have to build it yourself --which people do of course.

Anyway I agree that W8 has SOME problems --not nearly as bad as people make out -- but I'm glad Ms is looking at supporting new hardware rather than just concentrating on essentially a DYING scenario --the classic desktop.

I'm actually replying now to a load of these posts by using in test a VOICE activated application -- seems to be working fine on W8 -- the device wouldn't even THINK of working on W7 --and apart from the initial set up of trying to get the dialect right it is working much quicker than I expected - and comparable with typing. (I don't think though I'd like to use one of these devices all the time though - but it's quite nice while having a nice drink in your hand and watching some sports videos at the same time).

(After the basic post it does require some editing -- quotes from prev posters typos and caps and attachments where appropriate - but the quality of hardware will significantly improve in the future.).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Blackberry is a different example as it's HARDWARE and you are buying NEW hardware.

jimbo

My point about Blackberry Jimbo was not alienating the existing user base. Agreed that things have to move on (if that's what folks want) with their software but all MS had to do was offer choice at install time. Then if the Metro UI was 'accepted' then the users could have changed from Classic to Modern.

Win8 has some good features but it's that UI that jumps out - in your face and many people aren't going past that. Call it being lazy or whatever you choose but that is a fact of life as I see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

It wouldn't matter if Microsoft had given people choice, they still would have complained, they complained when Windows 7 came out and they complained when XP came out. Like I've always said, the biggest danger to MS is Windows users not Apple and not Google. Look at all the people still on XP.
Microsoft has to change and adapt or die, regardless what people think. I totally agree with Jimbo, it's their business, they have to call the shots. The desktop is dying, slowly, but it is dying, I personally use a tablet and smartphone a lot more than I do a PC. What I really want is a full blown PC on a tablet, aka Surface or Surface Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
[/QUOTE]

I'm actually replying now to a load of these posts by using in test a VOICE activated application -- seems to be working fine on W8 -- the device wouldn't even THINK of working on W7 --and apart from the initial set up of trying to get the dialect right it is working much quicker than I expected - and comparable with typing. (I don't think though I'd like to use one of these devices all the time though - but it's quite nice while having a nice drink in your hand and watching some sports videos at the same time).

(After the basic post it does require some editing -- quotes from prev posters typos and caps and attachments where appropriate - but the quality of hardware will significantly improve in the future.).

Cheers
jimbo[/QUOTE]

I've been enjoying MS built-in Voice Recognition since Vista. Even with a speech impediment.
No matter how much I use it, there are some things it just refuses to get right. In my case, whenever I said " Hi Jim" it typed " high jump" and that is not LOL
Then I learned the fast way to teach it my problem words. All I have to do is say " open Speech Dictionary", spell the word into it and record word (only say the word once). It never has the problem again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
It's coming....
Well, quite impressive for an OS that is much hated by stubborn peoples that don't want to see Windows 8's positive side.

I see. So, it's not the product's fault that nobody wants it, it's the people's fault for not swallowing the kool-aid....

Freakin' priceless....:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
No, it is relatively very poor - and it is slowing.

Even Vista did better at this stage.

Looking at the chart, it's mainly XP and 7 that will provide significant numbers to 8.

Of course. When your machine dies - you have to get one with win8 - it will become very hard to find anything else.

Likewise, if you never had a machine and need one now - you have to get one with win8 - it is not easy to find anything else and it will become harder.

I think most of the ( relatively small ) sales of win8 have been for those reasons - and not because buyers actively want it.

That's right, this is terrible especially when you consider that Windows 8 was supposed to be the OS of a gazillion small devices, connected to the internet. The only uptick here are those poor souls ramrodded into using Windows 8 on laptops who cannot do anything about it because their OEM (looking at u, HP) has locked them into it using the unholy trinity of UEFI, Trusted Boot and OA3.0, and that undisclosed number of Surface buyers.
And me, using my Win 8 Pro with WMC during weekends on my desktop PC to see what's up. :D Today they updated the Pinball FX app. Wheeewiii!

Now, I'm sure that the likes of BillWindows and CokeRobot will soon come a-runnin' to put some chic sweet lipstick on this pig, but it'll still be a pig.

So what, I was positive. :cool: So you guys really expected the same success as with 7 hmm? Not me! :D

I already agree with most of the posts here but to see that the percent grew the last month it's still good, If it was a hated OS you won't see any growth like this. We'll have to wait a bit more to see 8 exceed Vista (to begin with).

I'm not comparing the success of 8 to 7 (pity because it exceeds 7) people don't see the big benefit (honestly, what's that anyway?).
Big growth... every time... The tamales don't remain hot forever. :)

EDIT: I didn't looked at the mobile part only as W8 as a desktop. The thing that the mobile versions grow less than expected can be true.

We'll have to wait and see what this becomes anyway.

Cheers
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
This thing can't flop hard enough. I really don't want a stupid hybrid OS preinstalled on my next PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
If I can add, if you bought a PC back in 2009 or 2010, chances are that it's still running 7 just fine unlike vista. If you bought a vista PC, ESPECIALLY a laptop, by the third month it was like dragging a dead dog. Most people aren't actively looking to upgrade to 8 over 7 just yet.
we have a almost 3 1/2 year old Toshiba laptop running Vista ,and it has yet to be formated and reloaded ,and it was use heavily for downloading and editing & burning dvd's and the like for most of that time ,used daily for hrs at a time ,for silly board game playing and surfing the net ,gaught a few trojans in it time too, always successfully removed !never did it get to the point where it was too slow to use and make me consider a format and install of 7or8 , maybe we are just lucky

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
My wife also uses a 3+ year old Vista laptop daily and I've never had to do anything to it, other than keep up the updates. I wouldn't think of installing Windows 7 or 8 on that laptop, it'd be a complete waste of money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
, it'd be a complete waste of money.
i agree ,i have a technet/msdn acct an still will not install win7 or 8 on it ,it just works to good the way it is .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I love how MS gives customers more options like touch while keeping the old desktop and people whine.:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
If Microsoft doesn't acknowledge that it stuffed up with the MPI and bring back what people want, Windows 8 will make Vista look like a brilliant success story.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
If I can add, if you bought a PC back in 2009 or 2010, chances are that it's still running 7 just fine unlike vista. If you bought a vista PC, ESPECIALLY a laptop, by the third month it was like dragging a dead dog. Most people aren't actively looking to upgrade to 8 over 7 just yet.
we have a almost 3 1/2 year old Toshiba laptop running Vista ,and it has yet to be formated and reloaded ,and it was use heavily for downloading and editing & burning dvd's and the like for most of that time ,used daily for hrs at a time ,for silly board game playing and surfing the net ,gaught a few trojans in it time too, always successfully removed !never did it get to the point where it was too slow to use and make me consider a format and install of 7or8 , maybe we are just lucky
Maybe. I've come across several vista PCs that are used in that same fashion almost, it's at the point of a creepy crawl. Or maybe I just nitpick performance to where if I'm waiting for something, it's slow, or if I get Not Responding prompts and shiny circles that spin.... Ugh....

What an awful system that was!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
What I've yet to get is why people are so antsy about Windows 8. Don't want apps? Uninstall all of them. Work in the Desktop? You can make the Start Screen reflect that, so it's just a giant start menu the size of the Desktop. That's essentially it. That's essentially the point that all the overly vocal critics ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL seem to over shoot the runway with. EVERY SINGLE TIME

"I don't like the apps and they can't window!" Then don't use them.
"The Start Screen gets in my way!" And the start menu doesn't?
"The Start Screen is only meant for tablets and desktops should have a menu!" That's what basically Windows 7 was doing, the SAME UI on tablets, netbooks, laptops, and desktops.
"It's confusing!" Then learn it and don't be confused anymore.
"I want a start menu!" Then install one.

I've seen toddlers get over tantrums faster than this....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back