Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market

That's because the software has to adapt around the mouse, not the other way around. But many many graphic artists, architects, all the above generally will use a touchscreen or a touch pad versus a mouse. Even most architects still draw plans by hand, THEN go to AutoCAD to make a digital copy give the buttcrack plumber to. Drawing with a mouse sucks, simple as that, at least compared to a touch input. Even Photoshoppers that use a mouse every day and all day that go to a Wacom Bamboo tablet will sing joyous praise of it because it makes things SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better to use.

There is a difference between finger painting and using a graphics tablet.

Note that the interview was conducted in Dec 2012: Interview with Julie Larson-Green, the Executive in Charge of Windows 8 at Microsoft Who Just Took Over from Steven Sinofsky. | MIT Technology Review. The world had not yet felt the full impact of the changes on the desktop interface. They have now.

She's the "monster" responsible for the Ribbon.
I'd like to see her sent to the "salt mines".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
IDC Forecasts PC Market Will Shrink for Second Consecutive Year

On the bright side. IDC is saying the rate of decline will be about a third of what it was last year. And regardless of how it compares, a 1.3 percent change is hardly cause for panic. In fact, IDC predicts total PC shipments (desktops and notebooks) will reach 345.8 million units in 2013. That's down from 350.4 million units in 2012, but still a lot of PCs.

Incidentally, this is precisely where Windows 8 should be able to turn things around. The touch-friendly operating system encourages hybrid designs that function both as a powerful notebook and as a tablet, but PC makers have so far failed to really excite consumers with any must-have products.

IDC Forecasts PC Market Will Shrink for Second Consecutive Year | Maximum PC

Is the swelling still there?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Piracy Rates

The statistic that I think will be the most revealing is the Piracy rate.

I'd like to see a chart of the Piracy rates of the various Windows versions:
  • XP
  • Vista
  • W7
  • W8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13

• XP
  • Vista
  • W7
  • W8

Microsoft is secretly giving away Window 8 licence keys to boost the uptake figures, while vigorously defending Windows Vista and 7 piracy. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
That's because the software has to adapt around the mouse, not the other way around. But many many graphic artists, architects, all the above generally will use a touchscreen or a touch pad versus a mouse. Even most architects still draw plans by hand, THEN go to AutoCAD to make a digital copy give the buttcrack plumber to. Drawing with a mouse sucks, simple as that, at least compared to a touch input. Even Photoshoppers that use a mouse every day and all day that go to a Wacom Bamboo tablet will sing joyous praise of it because it makes things SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better to use.

She's the "monster" responsible for the Ribbon.
I'd like to see her sent to the "salt mines".

You obviously need to use to a pen with the touchscreen, I thought this was something that didn't need to be pointed out. Oh wait, I know how to use touchscreens with a desktop other than saying random crap about something I don't know....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

• XP
  • Vista
  • W7
  • W8

I'll take a swing...

Windows 7 is most pirated obviously, as Microsoft kind of turned a blind eye about that as it meant people were getting off old platforms especially vista. They actually said they were allowing updates to pirated versions....

Windows xp is a distant second, it's not really sold, it's nearing the end of its long overdue life, but still being unfortunately used. That will be pirated as it's pointless to buy a nearly 12 year old operating system that won't be supported next year.

Windows 8 I say is a third after that. Especially since the promo offer ended, and it's back up to its normal price. Some people want better performance over 7, probably the same that pirated 7.

Windows vista isn't pirated at all. Unless if you're weird and like waiting, then you might end up buying a refurbished DVD copy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You obviously need to use to a pen with the touchscreen, I thought this was something that didn't need to be pointed out. Oh wait, I know how to use touchscreens with a desktop other than saying random crap about something I don't know....

Using a pen with a touchscreen:

P3062773_IJFR_800.jpg

P3062775_IJFR_800.jpg

Much better:

P3062776_IJFR_800.jpg

A touch screen is just so cool

My Computer

System One

• OS
Especially since the promo offer ended, and it's back up to its normal price.

If you call 45 quid the normal price, then yes, I suppose so. The same as the promo price, then.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
Oh, oh, how underhanded can they get, how dare they drop the price, what a sneaky trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Windows 7 is most pirated obviously, as Microsoft kind of turned a blind eye about that as it meant people were getting off old platforms especially vista. They actually said they were allowing updates to pirated versions....

MS changed their policy after the XP WGA debacle.
It was also pointed out, that by not allowing pirated copies access to updates, giant botnets could thrive unhindered.

That start menu takes up half the screen...

That isn't surprising, considering the 150% magnification and the unusual resolution of that picture.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
whs... we have one thing in common...

View attachment 17785

I use 150% of DPI, else I see very little. In Linux Mint that was more difficult because changing the DPI is not that easy. Here I did it with the Theme and Skin. Works great too.

View attachment 17789

That start menu takes up half the screen...
That is because the snip was taken from a small virtual screen. In full screen mode, the start menu takes a lot less of the screen. All is relative.

Here is a screenshot with full screen. You may also notice that the right pane of start is now 'Favorites' in lieu of All Applications'. I switched it because my snipping tool is parked there. This is a very handy feature. All my frequently used programs that did not make it to the taskbar are in Favorites. And I toggle up on the right where it says 'All Applications' with 1 click.

Screenshot.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Bill

Oh, oh, how underhanded can they get, how dare they drop the price, what a sneaky trick.

How is that a sneaky trick ? Is anybody suggesting that ?

No. It might not be appreciated by those few who want the thing - and can't access that price for whatever reasons. The thing is selling very badly. It is a response to the market. It is not clear to me what else they can do at this point.

They will have the opportunity to turn it around with Blue ( or whatever it will be called ). It seems more and more likely they will take that opportunity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back