Windows 8 Pro randomly freezes

I'm having thsi freezing issue normally within 30 seconds of entering my password. Sometimes my mouse will freeze before I even finish entering my password. The longest I have had it running before freezing [mouse pointer disappearing] has been about 2 minutes...so locating where/how to download and install updates has not even been possible. I

I think I'll install onto a seperate boot HD and physically unplug my ocz ssd so I can easily go back to W7 inbetween. I did install on a plattered drive to see if it was my SSD that was problematic, btu I was gettign the same errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ultimate 64
I'm having thsi freezing issue normally within 30 seconds of entering my password. Sometimes my mouse will freeze before I even finish entering my password. The longest I have had it running before freezing [mouse pointer disappearing] has been about 2 minutes...so locating where/how to download and install updates has not even been possible. I

I think I'll install onto a seperate boot HD and physically unplug my ocz ssd so I can easily go back to W7 inbetween. I did install on a plattered drive to see if it was my SSD that was problematic, btu I was gettign the same errors.

Removing a wireless network card I installed a while back in my desktop has solved the problems I was experiencing. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ultimate 64
WLAN Network?

Hi everyone. I've been experiencing the same problem. After about 10 minutes of using my laptop it suddenly freezes and the only way to go is to hard reboot it.

I installed Windows 8 on release date, and after about 3 days of using it, the freezing problems started. After one day of finding no solutions to the problem (I thought it was some drivers problem, because there are no Win8 drivers available for my laptop in the HP support page, though Win8 detects all devices properly) I went back to Windows 7 Home Premium.

After about 3 weeks of using Windows 7, I decided to retry Windows 8 (maybe an update to solve this issue was released, maybe the old installation had been wrong, or whatever, I just decided to give it a second chance) so I installed it (clean install). Everything was working just fine until now (3 days since the installation), when I had the very same problem than with the first install. Coincidently the last time I experienced this crashes I was at university campus, and I was using "wlan X". I had no crashes at home (even after the computer was running for 12 hours non stop), nor at work (5 hours continuous use), but only at campus. So, I googled about the subject and found this forum, I read some of the posts and decided to change the network I was connected to (still at campus).

So, I connected to another available wlan on campus, "wlan Y", and everything has been working flawlessly for about 30mins right now.:D

In conclusion, I believe that Windows 8 is having trouble with some wifi networks. Anyways, I'll keep you posted if my computer crashes again using this network.;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro (64bit)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ProBook 4520s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 M380
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
Had this problem myself now the past 2 days' just browsing and bang everything stops,freeze and only way out is to reset PC.
Now on my 3rd install win 8 that after the freeze never boots again and have to either run a backup image or fresh install.
Win 7 going back on for now and will try win 8 on another partition with a fresh install.
Really like look of win 8 but can't cope with these crashes/freezing.
Will report back if I find any solutions to this.
George

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Think back to when you first installed Windows 95. Same company, same "quality" of code. Want a fix? Install Slackware Linux (and NO it's NOT your wireless card drivers LOL).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP HDX9494nr
    CPU
    Core 2 Dup (Penryn)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett Packard
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800GTS
Think back to when you first installed Windows 95. Same company, same "quality" of code. Want a fix? Install Slackware Linux (and NO it's NOT your wireless card drivers LOL).

You say Install Slackware, but your info says you use Windows 8 Pro so, what do I have to believe? ;)
Besides, I have a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.10, but the thing is that I use some adobe products (Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator) and those cannot be installed on linux and there is no good alternative for any of them.

So, unless I buy a Mac, I'm stuck with Windows 7 Sh*t Premium :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro (64bit)
    HP ProBook 4520s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 M380
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
I suspect that it's from Win 8 trying to get updates on its own . . . From this page:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...s-freezing-problems-culled-other-posts-2.html

Another suggestion having read the posts here, and derived from w7 experiences.

W7 appeared to hang but it all cases it was caused by any application running in the background that was trying to connect to download an update, retrieve something, just ring home, and failing to get connected to the specific file in question.

This will explain the problems experienced with the various browsers real player etc.

With Windows 8 a metro app may also be doing that in the background.

Can those experiencing freezing disconnect from the internet (switch off wireless or unplug the cable) and report back.

. . . Try turning off the Live Tiles? I would de-install all the apps, but some of them are cool, like the 360 degree Photos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Compaq DC7600 Convertible Minitower
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 521, Prescott 90nm Technology
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 09F0h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
    Memory
    2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2311
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ ATA Device (SATA)
    233GB Maxtor 7L250S0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Keyboard
    Logitech K120
    Mouse
    Kensington Expert Mouse K64325
    Internet Speed
    1.5MB DSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, Malwarebytes
I was having the same problem. Using Windows 8 release preview, no problems, and upgraded to Pro shortly after release. Agian no problems until a few days ago. Started occasionally, and then became an issue every time I logged on. Reinstalled Windows, sure it would solve it, but no - a repeat! Made Windows 8 pretty much inoperable.

Followed the advice and link mentioned previously in this discussion and so far it seems to have solved the problem (fingers crossed!). Worked on my machine in two separate sessions for over an hour each time, no freeze.

Basically disabled the dynamic tick.

Run an elevated command prompt (go into Task Manager, hold down ctrl key and the click on "file" and "run new task")
Alternative is to open power user tasks menu and then choose the "command prompt admin" option.

Then run this script

bcdedit/set disabledynamictick yes

Details are here Hotfix available for Windows 8 freezing issues Within Windows

It seems to have done the trick so far.

Hope it remains so, and hope it helps others (note this fix will affect battery life but hey, if it means you can actually work on your computer then it's a no-brainer!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
My current thinking is that it was due to AVG, it had just started running a scan, or due to Windows Update doing something. The computer doesn't become unusable, just a hiccup. They should put that fix in an update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Compaq DC7600 Convertible Minitower
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 521, Prescott 90nm Technology
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 09F0h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
    Memory
    2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Graphics Card(s)
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2311
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ ATA Device (SATA)
    233GB Maxtor 7L250S0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Keyboard