Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

Don't get me wrong. Once I ridded the newly install of a few annoyances, I like 8.1 just fine, albeit only in desktop mode.

What I want to see of a future release, is a return to full commitment to the desktop option. Tifkam can be kept, as an option, for those who so choose... but a return to a fully functional desktop that works right out of the box and is FULLY supported is the only way ms will quiet the protests... the only way.

Surely by now, even the most ardent supporters of tifkam realize this...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Where does this word 'tifcam' come from?? Sounds funny.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Here here, Let us create legislation to outlaw progress and innovation altogether. We can start with medicine, who needs a cure anyway, let's do it the old fashioned way, get sick and die...Just joking, what is the problem with progress and innovation anyway?

Should all the world's corporations go back to using pencil and paper? Computers and even Ms Windows 1.0 were a joke at one time, but look at what they have become. Look at cell phones, garbage 20-30 years ago, and now we cannot can't live without them, and they still suck.

I am a retired veteran fifty plus and I don't have any more problems with windows 8, than I did with every version of windows prior. That includes windows 1.0 and DOS 1.0. Nothing is perfect, and when it is, we just screw it up with something new. Then it becomes almost perfect, and walla, we do it again!

As for corporations and small businesses, they will do like always, they will wait until windows is stable and rock solid, then they will deploy, with or without the desktop and or Modern UI.

Living in the past is a losers game. 10 years ago I bought pc's and laptops for my kids and grandchildren. Today there is not one to be found except my laptop, they all have smartphones and tablets, and discarded their pc's and laptops.

Anyway that is how I believe it will be played out, just like my family, but eventually on a global scale.

As for this thread, what windows 8.2? if 9.0 is due out in the spring of 2014, then an 8.2 release would be unlikely. That would be to rapid a release cycle, even for Microsoft!

Henry

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Hp Envy m6-1225dx
    CPU
    Intel 3rd Generation I5
    Motherboard
    Hp/Intel
    Memory
    8 Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Hd 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    750 Gb Ata 5400 rpm
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    15 Mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Where does this word 'tifkam' come from?? Sounds funny.

I got it from Rickkins. I like it. :thumb: lol
The Interface Formerly Known As Metro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Here here, Let us create legislation to outlaw progress and innovation altogether. We can start with medicine, who needs a cure anyway, let's do it the old fashioned way, get sick and die...Just joking, what is the problem with progress and innovation anyway?

Should all the world's corporations go back to using pencil and paper? Computers and even Ms Windows 1.0 were a joke at one time, but look at what they have become. Look at cell phones, garbage 20-30 years ago, and now we cannot can't live without them, and they still suck.

I am a retired veteran fifty plus and I don't have any more problems with windows 8, than I did with every version of windows prior. That includes windows 1.0 and DOS 1.0. Nothing is perfect, and when it is, we just screw it up with something new. Then it becomes almost perfect, and walla, we do it again!

As for corporations and small businesses, they will do like always, they will wait until windows is stable and rock solid, then they will deploy, with or without the desktop and or Modern UI.

Living in the past is a losers game. 10 years ago I bought pc's and laptops for my kids and grandchildren. Today there is not one to be found except my laptop, they all have smartphones and tablets, and discarded their pc's and laptops.

Anyway that is how I believe it will be played out, just like my family, but eventually on a global scale.

As for this thread, what windows 8.2? if 9.0 is due out in the spring of 2014, then an 8.2 release would be unlikely. That would be to rapid a release cycle, even for Microsoft!

Henry
I was professional programmer who wrote his first program in 1958 and developed operating systems for 35 years. I have no problems with Windows 8, but I think it sucks - and that big time in many ways.

My 6 PCs will continue with Windows 7, Vista and Mint. I run Windows 8.1 in a virtual partition just to see how bad it will get.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
@whs
For you, as a programer and therefore having more insight to the inner workings, I can see being somewhat frustrated with unexpected changes in the OS or it's weaknesses but for the rest of us "users", I think that any improvement, even just graphical is a step forward. I for one, do not have any problems (apart from some driver problems) do not have anything against 8.1 and the same goes for W8. For me at least, transition from W7 to W8 was just natural and took me just a short time to get used to. I expect more changes to future developments of windows and I'm just fine with gradual changes. The moment I feel it does not fit me any more I'll switch to something else, even if that means much steeper learning curve and change of habits, or stay with the current one that suits me, no problem. Only sudden changes I can't afford is in hardware. No use (literary, I don't need tablets or smart phones) but desktop PC will be my mainstay as long as possible. So, M$, keep on changing OS and I'll use it as long as it suits me, after that, no regrets, bye.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Tablets and Smartphones are a handy tool when you are on the go. But as a web developer, I can't go without a desktop or laptop. Although, a hybrid like Surface could also work, I think.

I really need a real keyboard and mouse to work with. A fake keyboard on the screen decreases the workspace on the screen too much.

Probably also, because I can type blind and I need the feel of the keys under my fingers and not just a flat surface were you don't notice you engaging the keys you press.

Windows 8 (now 8.1) is the first OS I have upgraded to in years. I normally always stayed with the OS that was installed on the device, until I upgraded the device. However, with Windows 8, I made an exception and I upgraded all the devices I have to it.

In the past, I already didn't use the start menu to start programs with. I just pushed start and used search to find the program I wanted to start. I did the same in Windows 8, but I also made some tiles of frequently used programs on it. This made it even faster to start my programs than before.

Sure, I could still have used the desktop with its icons on it, but I find the new start menu (Modern UI) more easily to work with and I can keep my desktop clean from all those icons of programs that I use. ;)

It all depends on how you like to work. I still use a lot of key combinations to do things in Windows, instead of grabbing my mouse to do it. And that's something that hasn't changed over the different Windows versions. You only get more and more of those fast keys to play with.

I can say, my laptop, which I bought back in the day with the recently released Windows Vista on it, is now being used with Windows 8.1 on it, and it works faster and smoother than before.

The desktop with Windows 7 on it, is now also running Windows 8.1, but I don't notice too much difference between them. Windows 7 was a good OS, and Windows 8.1 is almost the same, except for the interface. However, it works in the same way as 7 did. And sure, for companies, it will be better that they can start their PCs to the desktop at once, instead of staying on the Modern UI at the start. But that's something Microsoft already fixed with 8.1.

The Modern UI, well, it has a better overview of things than the old Start menu did for me. You can cull out the things you don't need, and keep the tiles of the programs you often start. It's a faster and more transparent interface for me.

I think I only needed about a week to get used to Windows 8, and even when I did have some troubles with 8.1. In the end, it wasn't 8.1 who was the cause, but third party software that wasn't ready yet for 8.1.

All my systems are now working like before, and I'm very happy about that. :) Now, next time, I probably will wait until the new OS is a month in circulation before I upgrade, so the third party software suppliers have fixed their programs. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi there.

Innovation is fine when it serves a purpose - but there's been plenty of examples where so called innovation is actually a REGRESSIVE step. However INNOVATION is NOT THE SAME AS PROGRESS.

We see examples every day -- one example a few years ago of a city wide experiment - Banning traffic from a city centre and only allowing those "Electric" public utility things that were a bit better than electric Milk floats. Hideously expensive and being public property people treated them with about the same respect as a Public Toilet - so the vehicles were usually dirty or broken. Expensive mistake and finally abandoned.

Also restricting traffic into a city is just CRAZY -- after all a City was founded on people coming together for trade and commerce - if people can't trade they take their business elsewhere and then the city dies with boarded up businesses -- some places in the UK have nearly 60% of their local shops boarded up and the rest are just hideous fast food outlets. I'm sure there are examples too in other places = fortunately we still LIVE in the city and town centres !! and don't ban traffic from them.

So you have to be very careful in distinguishing between INNOVATION and PROGRESS -- the two are NOT ALWAYS THE SAME.

This relates to Windows in the sense that in NO WAY was (IS?) the Metro interface in any shape or form suitable for a lot of BUSINESS / Workplace activities that require a lot of creative content often requiring multiple screens. At least Windows 8.1 makes the whole OS more desktop friendly and hopefully Windows 8.2 / W9 will re-inforce this fact -- even better if Windows were to be split between Business, Mobile and Consumer (allowing of course an individual user to purchase whatever version they felt like). There's no reason for example why the Business version couldn't have say the Mobile piece added as an extra "bolt on" if required etc. Now that IMO would be PROGRESS.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Prince

It's a variation of "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince".
Prince_logo.png
I call him Mr Squiggle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
This whole Windows 8 issue is not about the new UI or one tile more or less. It is about the direction that M$ is driving the market and the future implications on your pocket book.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Yea, I found it online, can't take any credit for it whatsoever. It is catchy though...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
...besides the fact that nobody with a non-touchscreen device will be interested in 8.1's tile-based user interface

Nobody? Where did you get that from? Can I vote?

You're saying you like it?....;) Sure, you can vote!...I want to hear this...

...Touchscreen user interfaces don't belong on non-touchscreen devices and monitors, period

Is this true? Well, geewiz, Is there a prime directive on this?

Well, let's see if I can provide an analogy...how about: filling a diesel tank with gasoline and hitting the "start" button on the dash. How about that? As for a controlling authority like a Prime Directive, I actually don't need one to form opinions--so I wish I could oblige. It's more or less common sense, really, and no I don't want to get into micro discussions about "the nature of common sense as applied to GUI's," etc....;)

...Not only are the tiles grossly incompatible ...

Wow! Tiles are grossly incompatible! Maybe the tiles are causing viruses and BSODs.
You don't have to use tifkam. You never did, since day one.

"Incompatible" has nothing to do with viruses and BSOD's....:D "Incompatible" in that touch screen user interfaces don't belong on non touch-screen devices, and vice-versa. Sort of like "trying to use your mouse as a keyboard" sort of thing--bass ackwards, etc. I'd like to oblige further, but it would require most of the day and several pages of text to list all of the reasons this has been traditionally true right up until the moment that Microsoft shipped Win8.0 and in the process forgot about its 1.4 billion customers sans touchscreens. For some reason those customers simply ceased to exist for the company. Win8.x's sales to date illustrate Microsoft's reward for such "canny" marketing.

In most every post I've made on the subject I've talked about how I use 8.1, how much I like it, and how I never see a tile. Yes, the tiles have been optional since day one. Problem is, far too many people didn't hear that from Microsoft and so aren't going to accept that sentiment from the likes of you and I. We *know* the touch-screen tiles are optional. But Microsoft has done its bloody best since 8.0 shipped to obfuscate that fact and hide it from as many people as possible. Indeed, it is *easy* to put the touch-screen UI aside and use the explorer.exe-based ui exclusively. This is a fact that Microsoft should be *advertising* and emphasizing. But the company isn't doing that--which means that people like us have to. Er, or maybe we "should"...ah, when the mood strikes and we feel like it, I mean...;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
Hi there
It's quite easy to create Menus (with sub menus) that I think are BETTER than the old fixed menu (W7 and earlier) - simply use CUSTOM TOOLBARS

You don't need any "Startisback" or any third party apps or registry hacks to do this either and the whole system IMO is FAR more useful and flexible.

Thread here on how to do it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35991-creating-usable-pgm-toolbar-sub-menus.html

Enc screenshot

Cheers
jimbo

Jimbo, seriously, man, why would I want to waste my time doing that when I can download the Classic Shell Start Menu (4.0.2)for free. The way I see it, he's doing my work, your work, and much, much more, for his own reasons and I'm reaping the benefit. You should check it out. 4.0.2. It's terrific--and goes beyond Microsoft and provides toggles to turn the desktop hotspots on & off and even the side-bar charms, if you want. Sure, I could roll my own, but why?...;)

Indeed, give me about $10M and ten years and I could roll my own OS, too! But, again, what for?...:D These days I don't have the time for either adventure, unfortunately. But the good news is that someone else has done it for me and probably done a much better job of it, too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
If there is nothing here that is of interest, then you might as well use Windows 7, Linux or Apple.

[video=youtube_share;rqBkrFEJsOY]http://youtu.be/rqBkrFEJsOY[/video]

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
... But Microsoft has done its bloody best since 8.0 shipped to obfuscate that fact and hide it from as many people as possible.

How do you know it was their intent to obfuscate and hide it?

I am looking forward to the changes in 8.2+ with further enhancements.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

[youtube_share;rqBkrFEJsOY]http://youtu.be/rqBkrFEJsOY[/video]
What point are you making with the video. I don't get it. Sorry, I am a little slow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
why would I want to waste my time doing that when I can download the Classic Shell Start Menu (4.0.2) for free. The way I see it, he's doing my work, your work, and much, much more, for his own reasons and I'm reaping the benefit. You should check it out. 4.0.2. It's terrific--and goes beyond Microsoft and provides toggles to turn the desktop hotspots on & off and even the side-bar charms, if you want...

I think the Classic Shell is a bore. Spending money on customizing my OS is fun.
People customize their cars, don't they? Why do so many think it should be free?
If you don't see any tiles, why not just use Windows 7 :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard