Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

Understand. No problem regarding the monitor - mine is 22". So bottom line is that Windows 8 or 8.1 does not offer much over Windows 7 for the desktop user. Right?

Cosmetically no. If I didn't like Metro I'd still be running 7. I was (on my desktop PC) until just recently. There are other improvements, you'd have to look them up and decide if having them is worth putting up with Metro. Not sure if it factors in or not, but I use a trackball for navigation on my desktop PC. I might have a different opinion of Metro if I was moussing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
So just curious, which fix(es) did you like? I want to make I'm not missing any of the good new stuff:)

In Windows 8.0 I could only open Metro on one screen at a time. And Metro snap wouldn't work on my two 1280x1024 LCD's. That meant to use snap I had to run metro on my main 1920x1080 center monitor. Now in 8.1 I can open Metro Apps on more than one monitor at a time, all three if I want. I can now snap 2 metro apps each on my 1280x1024 LCD's, and 3 on my 1920x1080 LCD. I often run Slacker radio and the Weather app on one monitor, and the Netflix App on my main monitor. Outlook will be running on my other monitor.

Well, I guess I haven't seen anything too exciting in my case. One change I made in 8.1 was on lock screen and desktop background, now they're both the same and also the same as my win 7 background. I wanted to see what my wife and kids would do, if they could tell the difference. They still ask me to put it back to Windows 7.
I was however able to bring back the lagoon screen saver that came with Windows 7 touchpack. That wouldn't work with Windows 8.0 but does with 8.1.
On the minus side "Camera" doesn't work with my webcam I have to use a third party app with 8.1 for that (It worked with 8.0, I used it just before I upgraded). I've been patiently waiting for an update to fix that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7, 8.1, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP tx2z
    CPU
    AMD Turion x2 Ultra 2.4
    Motherboard
    Quanta
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 3200
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256gb ssd
So just curious, which fix(es) did you like? I want to make I'm not missing any of the good new stuff:)

In Windows 8.0 I could only open Metro on one screen at a time. And Metro snap wouldn't work on my two 1280x1024 LCD's. That meant to use snap I had to run metro on my main 1920x1080 center monitor. Now in 8.1 I can open Metro Apps on more than one monitor at a time, all three if I want. I can now snap 2 metro apps each on my 1280x1024 LCD's, and 3 on my 1920x1080 LCD. I often run Slacker radio and the Weather app on one monitor, and the Netflix App on my main monitor. Outlook will be running on my other monitor.

Well, I guess I haven't seen anything too exciting in my case. One change I made in 8.1 was on lock screen and desktop background, now they're both the same and also the same as my win 7 background. I wanted to see what my wife and kids would do, if they could tell the difference. They still ask me to put it back to Windows 7.
I was however able to bring back the lagoon screen saver that came with Windows 7 touchpack. That wouldn't work with Windows 8.0 but does with 8.1.
On the minus side "Camera" doesn't work with my webcam I have to use a third party app with 8.1 for that (It worked with 8.0, I used it just before I upgraded). I've been patiently waiting for an update to fix that.

Well you don't need that start/Lock screen at all check out these Group Policy Edits Windows 8 tips and tricks - part 1 My 8.1 desktop is just the same as my Win 7 desktop same gadgets and all. Some software that can't run will sometimes run in compatible mode?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes

Well you don't need that start/Lock screen at all check out these Group Policy Edits Windows 8 tips and tricks - part 1 My 8.1 desktop is just the same as my Win 7 desktop same gadgets and all. Some software that can't run will sometimes run in compatible mode?
Hmm, I'll give that a look thanks for the tip.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7, 8.1, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP tx2z
    CPU
    AMD Turion x2 Ultra 2.4
    Motherboard
    Quanta
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 3200
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256gb ssd
Driver support for windows 8.1 is still hot or miss, let's hope with Windows 8.2/Threshold update Microsoft does not update the kernel again since that would mean going through a repeat drivers update and waiting hell process all over again.

PS. I'm back on Windows 8.1 since Intel has released a new HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge) driver that works pretty much perfect with Windows 8.1, no more blurry text or such things (except in IE 11 which is Microsoft's text implementation at fault).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Threshold is the next "wave" of windows updates just as "Blue" is the current wave for all systems.

Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape | ZDNet

Before Microsoft gets to Threshold, the company is on track to deliver an update to Windows 8.1 (known as Windows 8.1 Update 1) around the same time that it delivers Windows Phone "Blue" (Windows Phone 8.1). That's supposedly happening in the spring 2014/Q2 2014 timeframe, from what my sources have said

A spring update but not 8.2

Jim :cool:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
I didn't know you still can't disable the charms or hot corners if you select
boot directly to desktop in 8.1? Is that so?

I hope that M$ actually follows through with their claim of listening to their majority customers that want to have a desktop that operates exactly as it did in Windows 7...

And just as importantly I want the old simple easy to use way of safe boot with F11 key instead of the cluster fluck now required with 8.1 and 8.0.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
My only current complaints about Windows 8.1 is there's no way of changing the login screen's wallpaper (only color change), the show desktop button (bottom right corner) does not animate or change color when highlighted/hover over with mouse (it's already smaller than it was in Windows 7 and there's no way of knowing when you mouse is actually over the button) and there's no option to disable the new Windows Start Button (gets annoying when running Metro Apps and hitting the button by accident especially with online Metro UI games).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB

I hope that M$ actually follows through with their claim of listening to their majority customers that want to have a desktop that operates exactly as it did in Windows 7...

And just as importantly I want the old simple easy to use way of safe boot with F11 key instead of the cluster fluck now required with 8.1 and 8.0.
well if you want your Win 7 desktop back put on ClassicShell. gpedit to not use lock screen, you boot straight to log on and desktop, turn off charm, corners, select your start button image. you are running 8.1 in Win 7 mode and if your running a SSD you can select to completely shut down/Restart, as you don't need hybrid shut down.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I agree with the no login screen wallpaper comment. I also noticed no wallpaper on my monitors if I let Windows boot to metro. The Metro Start Screen comes up on my main monitor and my other two just have the single color background. I don't get any desktop wallpaper until I launch a program or app. If I boot to the desktop instead, all my monitors show the desktop wallpaper right away.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

well if you want your Win 7 desktop back put on ClassicShell. gpedit to not use lock screen, you boot straight to log on and desktop, turn off charm, corners, select your start button image. you are running 8.1 in Win 7 mode and if your running a SSD you can select to completely shut down/Restart, as you don't need hybrid shut down.
Now tell me again - why would I want to jump thru all these hoops if I can have or keep Windows 7. That does not sound like a real sales pitch to motivate people to dish out extra money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
@ alphanumeric

Really though I'm just nitpicking but the problem you have with two or more monitors and the wallpapers not showing in the desktop sounds like a bug and will probably be fixed very soon through Windows update patches.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
@ alphanumeric

Really though I'm just nitpicking but the problem you have with two or more monitors and the wallpapers not showing in the desktop sounds like a bug and will probably be fixed very soon through Windows update patches.

I hunted and hunted looking for a setting in customization etc to set a wallpaper on the login screen. It was only after I Googled it that I realized that there wasn't one. You can customize just about every other screen after the boot screen so why not that one. It's no big deal, just a would be nice kind of deal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
There are actually real issues

In addition to jumping through hoops to use the desktop, I have noticed some actual issues. While the apps are improving, if you decide to run a few, if you run some of them and run desktop apps you'll sometimes find yourself with apps hung that stop your machine from going to sleep or just plain flakiness in OS stability.

Additionally, there are some programs that ran on XP and Windows 7, but have issues on Windows 8.x. Normally older games, but I have seen posts elsewhere that include real applications for folks. While this is never unusual for a Windows upgrade, adding this to folks already annoyance with the new UI and you can see why the market won't upgrade.

Windows 7 is still viable for at least another couple of years. It will take that long for the applications and apps to catch up to Windows 8. Microsoft should start thinking about this. While yearly upgrades may seem like a good idea, the market won't move as fast in the PC world. Also, lets be honest, every "upgrade" of a mobile OS is usually negligible. Microsoft would do itself a favor by examining not only its UI, but the applications that reside on the traditional PC vs. the mobile apps that are much more simplistic and faster to upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Windows 7 is still viable for at least another couple of years. It will take that long for the applications and apps to catch up to Windows 8. Microsoft should start thinking about this. While yearly upgrades may seem like a good idea, the market won't move as fast in the PC world. Also, lets be honest, every "upgrade" of a mobile OS is usually negligible. Microsoft would do itself a favor by examining not only its UI, but the applications that reside on the traditional PC vs. the mobile apps that are much more simplistic and faster to upgrade.

You make a good point. Not only does the market not move as fast as the computer world, application compatibility issues are always there to make or break a new operating system and if MS releases 3 versions of Windows 8.x in less than 3 years, there would be no surprise if outcries of legacy applications not working on the newest version comes out from many people. Rapid upgrades are only logical to mobile operating systems at this point because they are simpler and so do the apps that built them. Developers and testers for desktop applications would also have to do more work.

And at this point, much of the OEM machines still ship with Windows 8 RTM that continues to alienate people because it lacks a Start Menu.

Microsoft's new rapid release tactic is only to shake off the big mistake (possibly the biggest mistake) known as Windows 8.

Service Packs are in many ways, more logical than a new OS altogether because they are far easier to deploy and would have less issues with application compatibility as well. Even Windows 7 needs an SP2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Back