Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming

Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

The recently released operating system Windows 8.1 is a thing of the past. Microsoft is attentively monitoring the reviews for this version and the company has already started to create a list of changes that will appear in the new Windows 8.2. We’re intriducing you the most interesting features of the upcoming Windows 8.2 operating system.
Read more at Windows 8.2. New Changes Are Coming - Business 2 Community

.... I'll just wait for Windows 8.2 with a real start menu and a desktop experience no different than Windows 7...:p

Screenshot (31).jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
This is what I believe about missing the start button: Let's try to imagine that when MS came out with Windows 95 if it would have had the same interface as Windows 8 has now; and if all the newer editions had the same. Then after all these years, MS came out with what they called Windows 8 and the interface was exactly like Windows 7, everyone would be saying things like, "What happened to the tiles! I miss the tiles and wish they would come back." I believe that it's human nature. When we are used to doing things a certain way for a number of years, it's hard to change.

I said this as well before in another thread.
It's strange, XP was the bane of MS, and going to kill the company, never gonna use it, what a waste
Now, OMG, I have to leave XP? What, I Love XP, it's the best, Vista blows, 7 isn't worth upgrading to, Win8 is a joke.......
ptttthhhhtttt, the naysayers can keep flappin their chops, as they are not saying anything new....
Win9 will get the same treatment.....as will 10 and 11 and 12......

You know what would be awesome,, is to have Win8 be around for 10 years like XP has been,,,, then drop Win9 with a Win95 GUI
Let's see how much complaining there would most definitely be after that. That I would love to see.

On a side note: the articles posted are pure speculation, is there anything official, or more official than this?

Also seeing rumors of App Store unification between Phone, Surface, PC and possibly XboxOne? the way it should be. This would be good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I hate Windows 8.1, Imagine MS pushed out XP and now Win 7 will be going out, to be replaced by this Win 8.1 of the future, causing us loads of problems. MS is lost somehow. I wonder how to fix my problems with wireless adapters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Alienware 17
    CPU
    Intel i7 4700
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 765
    Browser
    mozilla firefox
    Antivirus
    defender
So are these just rumors? I mean, it would be nice if the article is correct, but I would think if the start menu were really returning we'd see it posted all over the tech news websites.

I don't think, however intense your browsing, you will find a single comment on this from the original source (Microsoft)

But where there is smoke there is fire. My own theory is, that with Wndows 9 a lot closer than we expected, 8.2 is only a build for windows 9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Hi there
this might be good news for consumers / home users but obviously it's NOT a good idea for people who have to maintain corporate networks / applications.

Ms is trying to get the last vestigial corporate giants to switch from XP -- so far only Windows 7 fits the bill -- it's stable, predictable and doesn't have changes either real or "rumoured" every two or three months -- I can't imagine what's happened to anybody in the I.T dept who recommended upgrading to Windows 8 -- then Windows 8.1 appeared and now possibly windows 8.2.

Of course Ms doesn't want Windows 7 to become "the new XP" (as a thread on the forums recently called it) - but unless you are in a place which advocates the use of BYOD's would you upgrade to a "permanently changing (surely a contradiction In terms ???) environment" . Businesses can't just put in an OS on a Monday morning and change it two hours later -- all sorts of corporate software and large DB applications have to be properly tested - this can take A LOT of time.

Too many people forget the business environment - home users can chop and change OS'es at will - businesses can't.

Maybe Ms should re-brand Windows into 3 distinct flavours -- MOBILE (tablets, phones etc), HOME (or consumer) and BUSINESS.

Releases could then be different and each specifically tailored for the desired environment.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Maybe Ms should re-brand Windows into 3 distinct flavours -- MOBILE (tablets, phones etc), HOME (or consumer) and BUSINESS.

That would be a good idea (and what they should have done with W8 in the first place) as long as we are allowed to choose any version for our own PCs (i.e. no stupid license restrictions).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Jimbo, you are on the money. I work for global corporation, over 200K employees. Our IT department is around 95K. We are just now going to Windows 7. I imagine we'll be on it for at least the next 3-5 years. Like most corporations, we have a lot of vertical applications, including hundreds, if not thousands, of homegrown applications. It literally costs millions of dollars to do all the testing, re-coding, and upgrading of all the software. This is not something companies just do. It's only done when they have to. Heck, our Windows 7 systems are still on IE9 because of homespun web apps and built in security interfaces into the browser. (We're a financial company.)

As you say, Microsoft's accelerated development cycle maybe great for consumers, but not so much corporate America.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Jimbo, you are on the money. I work for global corporation, over 200K employees. Our IT department is around 95K. We are just now going to Windows 7. I imagine we'll be on it for at least the next 3-5 years. Like most corporations, we have a lot of vertical applications, including hundreds, if not thousands, of homegrown applications. It literally costs millions of dollars to do all the testing, re-coding, and upgrading of all the software. This is not something companies just do. It's only done when they have to. Heck, our Windows 7 systems are still on IE9 because of homespun web apps and built in security interfaces into the browser. (We're a financial company.)

As you say, Microsoft's accelerated development cycle maybe great for consumers, but not so much corporate America.

Hi there.

I do quite a lot of "gigs" in different countries -- a lot allow you to BYOD. The solution that has worked unfailingly for me was to create a Windows to Go (formerly 8, now 8.1) on an external SSD device so response time is perfectly acceptable and then bring up a Windows 7 Virtual machine which runs nearly every piece of corporate software I've encountered -- on the rare occasions when something doesn't work then bringing up an XP VM or a different version of W7 with say IE9 installed rather than IE10 or IE11 usually does the trick -- although IE10 is actually good since you can by pressing F12 get it to run in any "back level" version of IE - even I think back as far as IE6 in compatibility mode.

Pity this feature was removed in IE11 -- it was quite good being able to specify WHICH version of IE compatibility mode you wanted your application to run in.

IMHO the idea of using VM's especially with BYOD devices could be a neat way over a giant corporate headache with all these different flavours of Windows.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Actually, I agree. Outside of BYOD, Win7 is the new XP. I don't foresee Win8 or Win9 heavily in the corporate world anytime soon, unless there are some major changes.

but, I also don't think MS ever planned for Win8 in the corporate place right away.
It's a new direction for computing, this will be played out more on the consumer side.

As for BYOD, it's more about Remote virtualization (VDI) on a corporate server with less hardware support overhead
here are requirements, if you don't meet them, your on your own. Actually more, it's your hardware, we support trying to get you connect but that's it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
For us VM's are being tested as is BYOD. In our little financial niche of the world though, security is everything. So these changes are happening very slowly. Obviously BYOD can introduce a lot of risk. Offshore and near shore our offices have high security protocols, not to mention the infrastructure issues with those countries once you get outside the compounds, so BYOD is unlikely to occur there anytime soon. That said, as you note, they could still have a terminal station boot up to the VM. It could be running anything from Linux to Windows and do a straight boot to the VM. I'm sure as time goes on we'll see more of this as it is a much more cost effective solution, assuming you pony up the money for hot swap overs should your VM server fail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Windows 7 is the OS of choice for desktop and laptop PC that do not have touch enabled hardware, it's that plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong Windows 8.1 is a fantastic OS just not for the majority of users who cannot make use of Metro UI thus why I'm looking to get a Windows 8.1 tablet very soon which would be a much better fit for the OS...:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
I hate Windows 8.1, Imagine MS pushed out XP and now Win 7 will be going out, to be replaced by this Win 8.1 of the future, causing us loads of problems. MS is lost somehow. I wonder how to fix my problems with wireless adapters.

You simply visit the networking section of the forum where we fix these types of problems each and every day. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Hello Nemix. ... just forum speak :cool:

Windows 7 is the OS of choice for desktop and laptop PC that do not have touch enabled hardware, it's that plain and simple.

It is true. My doctors health group just upgraded hundreds of computers to Windows 7 from XP.
... but, for the end using consumer at home, one does not need touch enabled hardware to enjoy all the features of 8 / 8.1 ... and you can still use a Windows 7 or earlier model on 8 / 8.1

Screenshot (9).jpg

...Don't get me wrong Windows 8.1 is a fantastic OS just not for the majority of users who cannot make use of Metro UI thus why I'm looking to get a Windows 8.1 tablet very soon which would be a much better fit for the OS...:p

What do you mean by "cannot make use of the Metro UI" ?
Are these unusable?

t4.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

Don't get me wrong Windows 8.1 is a fantastic OS just not for the majority of users who cannot make use of Metro UI thus why I'm looking to get a Windows 8.1 tablet very soon which would be a much better fit for the OS...:p

I'm not sure what you mean by that comment? I don't have a touch screen but I have no problems using the Metro UI with my touchpad or trackball. Now that Metro is multi monitor friendly I'm liking 8.1 on my desktop PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
If it turns out to be true that Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu, then 8 will become the excellent operating system that it should have been from the outset, and they will have impressed me as a company. There seems to be a rash of corps out there now who suffer from too much pride and are unwilling to step off their high horse to please the Masses. Sort of like hoe Apple is unwilling to copy the cool things Samsung is doing, etc.

I do hope that they give us the start menu as an option, and also provide some functionality where both the start menu and the start screen can coexist together... This is absolutely what they should have done from the get go. Leave the old tried and true way of doing things in the OS, but add the new. Let folks start giving it a try and let them ease their way into it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I gotta laugh at the diehard tifkam fans who, despite it's being rejected by the vast majority of desktop users nevertheless cling to extolling its virtues...!! A tip of the hat to you folks for perseverance in the face of adversity....!!!! :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
@ mdmd

More than half of the icons you have there are not Metro UI apps and belong to the desktop which makes no difference from running the program in either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 except for the fact that you have to switch over to Start Menu to access the program icon and switch back to the desktop when the program has loaded...complicated? Yes.

@ alphanumeric

Having touch enabled hardware is not the only thing Windows 8.1 can take advantage of, I just happen emphasize on the more important features Windows 8.1 has to offer for hardware built for the OS and I would have to say multi-monitor solutions is one of them alongside smaller screens with high resolutions (DPI scaling for tablets).

Thus I can see where you're coming from having much success with Windows 8.1 and having two or more monitors but then even solely speaking on the average consumer, multi-monitor setups are still rarity especially with the slower PC sales these days and ever pacing economy decline plus the fact that it's not a necessity to have more than one monitor for a PC setup.

As a conclusion like I've always said unless you have specific hardware setups tailored for Windows 8.1, just a enthusiasts or can get Windows 8.1 for significantly cheaper than Windows 7 (for new OS upgrades from XP/Vista) and all the drivers for your hardware is available for Windows 8.1 (not worth going through the trouble of waiting for drivers to come out).

Then by all means Windows 8.1 is just Windows 7 in a different shell with more features and a slight learning curve, which goes to say Windows 8.1 is just as good as Windows 7 but better then Windows 7 it's certainly not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
@ mdmd

More than half of the icons you have there are not Metro UI apps and belong to the desktop which makes no difference from running the program in either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 except for the fact that you have to switch over to Start Menu to access the program icon and switch back to the desktop when the program has loaded...complicated? Yes.

It makes a difference to me. I like the start screen as a hyper launcher that does not require me to make a mess of the taskbar or desktop wallpaper. I find pinned tiles are faster than accessing the desktop menu.
I don't like a huge number of taskbar icons.
It takes a millisecond to switch and performance is far better when visual effects are turned off.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/35874-performance-enhancement.html

Screenshot (35).jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard