Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaked

From what I have read this update will be through Windows Update. These leaked versions are full install but are used internally by MS to test them. I don't believe they will be released to the public.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
The public maybe not but TechNet is another matter. Your friendly IT guy or girl isn't going to want to update possibly hundreds (or more) of PC's though the Windows Store over the corporate network. They will want something downloadable to use to make new install images. Microsoft isn't in the habit of leaving its corporate customers hanging. They made new enterprise 8.1 ISO's with the post 8.1 rollup updates baked in. The Enterprise ISO's are the latest GA builds. I'm hopeful they'll show up at some point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Folks, I don't think MS is putting much effort into Technet since they decided to terminate the program. I have seen very few updates in the past few months. For instance, Windows 8.1 RTM has never been released as the last update was 2013-09-09 which was before the release date of October 17th and we never got a full install ISO from them. I was surprise that Enterprise got an update but that is above my subscriber level.

BTW, in reading through the posts here, Coke Robot (how I wish real names were used in forums, sigh) made the point that mixing Start apps with the desktop will make it extremely difficult for touch screen users, as the "close window" icon shrinks up to its tiny, pre touch, mouse orientated size. Now there is a match made in heaven.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
XBox One will be getting a major update to the operating system at the same time that Win8.1.1 is getting released. I know MS is trying to blend in phone,tablet,game console, laptops, and desktops into a unifying gestalt of an operating system. Is the timing just coincidental?

On another note about the XBox One, here is a conspiracy that is worthy of the JFK assassination, the moon landings, and 9/11. MS secretly built into the XBox One another entire APU chip stacked under the main chip. Perhaps as soon as the March update, they will start to light up this hidden chip and make the console 60% more powerful, with more to come! Believe it or not:
misterxmedia - Mistercteam Daily. TSV 3D stacking found on Xbox One SOC (stacking proof #3)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Folks, I don't think MS is putting much effort into Technet since they decided to terminate the program. I have seen very few updates in the past few months. For instance, Windows 8.1 RTM has never been released as the last update was 2013-09-09 which was before the release date of October 17th and we never got a full install ISO from them. I was surprise that Enterprise got an update but that is above my subscriber level.

BTW, in reading through the posts here, Coke Robot (how I wish real names were used in forums, sigh) made the point that mixing Start apps with the desktop will make it extremely difficult for touch screen users, as the "close window" icon shrinks up to its tiny, pre touch, mouse orientated size. Now there is a match made in heaven.

TechNet is to be retired but MSDN will still be there. MSDN shows the same ISO's as TechNet. Like you mentioned the Enterprise ISO's were bumped up to the GA build and the retail weren't. Part of the reason for that though is that the Enterprise versions don't update to 8.1 though the Windows Store like Retail versions. The IT Pro needs the actual install media to do it. I have a TechNet and MSDN subscription as a perk of my MVP status. When my TechNet SUB runs out I'll still have access to MSDN. Assuming my MVP gets renewed that is.

I bet you can still close an app by dragging it to the bottom of the screen if you want, so the close window icon shouldn't be an issue on touch screens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
XBox One will be getting a major update to the operating system at the same time that Win8.1.1 is getting released. I know MS is trying to blend in phone,tablet,game console, laptops, and desktops into a unifying gestalt of an operating system. Is the timing just coincidental?

On another note about the XBox One, here is a conspiracy that is worthy of the JFK assassination, the moon landings, and 9/11. MS secretly built into the XBox One another entire APU chip stacked under the main chip. Perhaps as soon as the March update, they will start to light up this hidden chip and make the console 60% more powerful, with more to come! Believe it or not:
misterxmedia - Mistercteam Daily. TSV 3D stacking found on Xbox One SOC (stacking proof #3)

It wouldn't surprise me if they made Windows RT more Windows Phone OS like, and striped out the desktop side. Assuming they don't drop it. Windows 8.1 seems to be going the other way though. Metro is morphing to be more like the way desktop programs are displayed and run.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Yes windows overlapping is not the way to go, split screen is way more efficient but problem lays in desktop apps that do not sport ribbon interface. If you take some app like Photoshop you will see that it spans tools and tabs vertically both left and right which significantly kills screen estate in split screen.
... and therefore you sometimes have to overlap to see what you need, when on a small screen.

I would argue that overlapping is actually more efficient use of limited space, it just doesn't look very nice.

A program like AutoCAD kind of does suck with the Ribbon as it shoved like a bajillion commands into a predefined section of the screen. It's not the best honestly and it's kind of a thorn in my side about AutoCAD that they don't seem to ever really tweak the Ribbon aspect with every new release...

See, window overlapping was introduced way back when in Windows 2.0 on desktop PCs that had like screens 10 inches big with resolutions of like 640x480; so window overlapping was necessary to overcome screen estate issues because in Windows 1, it was all tiled but that wasn't the best way to multitask. But if you took those overlapped windows from Windows 2.0's notepad.exe and calc.exe and so on onto a 23 inch 1080p monitor, you have very little need to overlap as you can just space them out side by side very easily. Although these days, multitasking can involved a LOT of windows and more complex programs. Some window overlap is needed, but not so much as before.

The problem I see with window overlapping on smaller 8 inch tablets, even tiling windows like Samsung's magazine UI design, is the fact that you compromise window usability for viewability. When you have two File Explorer windows snapped side by side, you have two fully useful and viewable windows. When you introduce a third window, that masks over your two usable windows effectively leaving you with one. In Windows 8.1, it was changed so if you have a high resolution and fairly decent sized monitor, you can have three things snapped side by side. This allows for a good balance of window usability and viewability.

I believe a good UI design for multitasking allows for a perfect balance of window task viewability and usability.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
From what I have read this update will be through Windows Update. These leaked versions are full install but are used internally by MS to test them. I don't believe they will be released to the public.
Jim :cool:

There can even be several builds running around among the MS programmers, at the same time, each being used for a particular aspect of the OS. It has been the same with previous OSs. How they eventually turn them into a smaller profiled update I do not know. IMO, whatever the eventual distribution, I feel certain it will not be through the store, but via an update.
Alphanumeric's concern could be correct, but I would visualise downloading updates from the normal source as an automatic procedure for corporate users. Downloading and installing a whole OS in a corporate Lan, would be a huge task. The method via the store, god forbid, would require personal and manual operation by individuals with a little more knowledge than, say, an office typist.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
So what exactly is so hard about doing one of these very simple options to see the modern clock to warrant such a melt down about it??

It only takes a second to do. :confused:

If seeing the time is so critical to you, then you might consider setting or hanging a clock next to the computer to always have it available.

Sorry,

I have to agree with the OP on this one, I leave my PC on all the time, I use it as my clock at least with my windows 7 computers, it saves me from having to purchase a clock and take up desktop real estate. It is simple things like these that make Windows 8 such an albatross, everything you want to do always has extra steps added to it.

As Brink Says "The date and time will always show on your desktop taskbar just like it is in Vista and Windows 7."

If you are constantly in , and using, Metro Apps, then it could be a nuisance for the majority to have a clock in there faces, on a full screen display. If, on the other hand, you are using legacy apps on the legacy desktop, nothing has changed.

Hello Justmetoday,

In addition to leaving your PC on the desktop to see the time and date on the taskbar, you could also lock your computer :)winkey: + L) so that when the lock screen appears shortly after like below, you'll have the modern clock showing in it along with any notifications. :)

24573d1373589282-lock-screen-slide-show-turn-off-windows-8-1-lock_screen-2.png

From my experience: while Windows can never be what everyone wants out of the box since that would be impossible, you are able to customize it however you like with whatever you like.

People may ask, but why should I have to?

I say, you don't have to, but why would you not want to.

Yes, thank you for the tip, I could do that, or a desktop gadget tool, but just another couple of extra steps, which is what I said was an inherent problem with Windows 8, everything always needs a few extra steps. Why should I lock my machine I am the only one who uses it? However, perhaps my cat uses it behind my back, ummm, he is quite clever.

There is still the problem of always having to exit or switch an app to see the time, as it is on Win 7 if I am browsing or in windows mode I can always see the time. I never use the metro browser.

However, my Windows 8 solution is much more elegant, I use Stardocks Decor 8 software, which allows me to display it on the Start screen. But, why did I have to install Decor 8 for such an easy item?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
Sorry,

I have to agree with the OP on this one, I leave my PC on all the time, I use it as my clock at least with my windows 7 computers, it saves me from having to purchase a clock and take up desktop real estate. It is simple things like these that make Windows 8 such an albatross, everything you want to do always has extra steps added to it.

As Brink Says "The date and time will always show on your desktop taskbar just like it is in Vista and Windows 7."

If you are constantly in , and using, Metro Apps, then it could be a nuisance for the majority to have a clock in there faces, on a full screen display. If, on the other hand, you are using legacy apps on the legacy desktop, nothing has changed.

Hello Justmetoday,

In addition to leaving your PC on the desktop to see the time and date on the taskbar, you could also lock your computer :)winkey: + L) so that when the lock screen appears shortly after like below, you'll have the modern clock showing in it along with any notifications. :)

24573d1373589282-lock-screen-slide-show-turn-off-windows-8-1-lock_screen-2.png

From my experience: while Windows can never be what everyone wants out of the box since that would be impossible, you are able to customize it however you like with whatever you like.

People may ask, but why should I have to?

I say, you don't have to, but why would you not want to.

Yes, thank you for the tip, I could do that, or a desktop gadget tool, but just another couple of extra steps, which is what I said was an inherent problem with Windows 8, everything always needs a few extra steps. Why should I lock my machine I am the only one who uses it? However, perhaps my cat uses it behind my back, ummm, he is quite clever.

There is still the problem of always having to exit or switch an app to see the time, as it is on Win 7 if I am browsing or in windows mode I can always see the time. I never use the metro browser.

However, my Windows 8 solution is much more elegant, I use Stardocks Decor 8 software, which allows me to display it on the Start screen. But, why did I have to install Decor 8 for such an easy item?

Yeah, it's not easy to get everything for everyone in it.

You installed Decor 8 to customize it how you like I suppose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Yeah, it's not easy to get everything for everyone in it.

You installed Decor 8 to customize it how you like I suppose.

Yes, it also allows me to customize my text and background colors, how many rows to display, and I create and can use customized backgrounds, which also allows me to adjust background scrolling speeds. It works in either 8 or 8.1, my concerns with the new upgrade, is that it may break everything that allows me to like Windows 8 as it currently is. Those are many of the things I loved about Windows 7, I could change it to reflect my own personal flavour. Stock Windows 8 is rather dull and unattractive to me.

Stardocks Modern Mix already handles running metro apps in a window and allowing you to pin it to the taskbar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
Quote from my earlier post "Alphanumeric's concern could be correct, but I would visualise downloading updates from the normal source as an automatic procedure for corporate users."

An "Escrow" update has been leaked, so the question is, I guess, answered.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
Quote from my earlier post "Alphanumeric's concern could be correct, but I would visualise downloading updates from the normal source as an automatic procedure for corporate users."

An "Escrow" update has been leaked, so the question is, I guess, answered.

In a large corporation the IT Pro often controls what updates get issued and when. They have their own update server and don't use Windows update like we do. They vet them on a test machine to make sure nothing gets messed up before pushing them to the company PC's. Windows update would be locked out via a group policy, the windows store may be disabled too. They may have a very tight control on production PC's and what can be done on them. From what I have read you can't update Windows 8 Enterprise to 8.1 Enterprise though the Windows Store, its not an option even if you wanted to. You have to have the install media to do it. They get that from Microsoft. I would think the big OEM's are going to want everything rolled into the one ISO too. I'm thinking there will be a rollup update released that's like a service pack for those with machines already running 8.1 and a full ISO for corporate customers to use. That's my hope anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I had to have a go at the Escrow.. kept the image handy though!

There are a couple of updates to be installed before the user can proceed. (One is as large as 10,275 KBs) The major update is itself 573,531KBs.

I am still rooting around, but, so far, have not found anything earth shattering.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
I have a shortcut to control panel on my Start Menu. I have room for it so why not. I don't know why Microsoft added it to that Menu. Somebody noticed it being added and pointed it out.

I have mine on my QuickLaunch Toolbar. I keep most of the programs and files I use most often there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I had to have a go at the Escrow.. kept the image handy though!

There are a couple of updates to be installed before the user can proceed. (One is as large as 10,275 KBs) The major update is itself 573,531KBs.

I am still rooting around, but, so far, have found anything earth shattering.

:ditto:

May be in Windows 9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ah so just having (installed) the 8.1 RTM build won't cut it. You'll have to patch up to the GA build to apply update 1. That's how I read it any way. Anybody with an 8.0 OEM install that needs to reinstall will have to update to 8.1 (though the store), patch to the GA build, and then update again to 8.1.1. :confused:
Good grief, Alpha! For now, I have 8.0 on my desktop and have just installed 8.0 on this laptop. So are you saying it would be best for me to wait until 8.1.1 comes out before updating? Not that I have a problem with that, especially if I'm reading your post correctly because I don't want to jump through the hoops it seems I may have to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
For the most part, I still find 'Metro' Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 impractical for no touch/desktop users; some fun things to fool around with, but mostly impractical. (I do, however, find the PDF Reader handy!) :think:

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Ah so just having (installed) the 8.1 RTM build won't cut it. You'll have to patch up to the GA build to apply update 1. That's how I read it any way. Anybody with an 8.0 OEM install that needs to reinstall will have to update to 8.1 (though the store), patch to the GA build, and then update again to 8.1.1. :confused:
Good grief, Alpha! For now, I have 8.0 on my desktop and have just installed 8.0 on this laptop. So are you saying it would be best for me to wait until 8.1.1 comes out before updating? Not that I have a problem with that, especially if I'm reading your post correctly because I don't want to jump through the hoops it seems I may have to do.

I don't think it matters, I'd go to 8.1. You should be able to update to 8.1.1 or whatever it is, once its released. My point was, according to what was posted, you have to do a couple of other updates before you do the update 1 thing. Conceivably it could go like this: Windows 8.0 > patch so 8.1 update shows up in Windows store > update to 8.1 though the store > patch again as a prerequisite to update 1 > apply update 1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard