Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaked

I'm wondering if the update will fix the blurriness in windows 8.

I go back and forth in windows 7 and windows 8 and I noticed the difference. even images on sites look clearer in windows 7 compared to windows 8.

have the same problem in linux as well. one reason I dont use linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    thermaltake
    CPU
    intel 2600 4ghz to 4.20ghz
    Motherboard
    gigabyte p67-d3-b3
    Memory
    16gb 1900mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 780 gtx + nvidia 580
    Sound Card
    sound ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    asus hdmi 24inch
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    3x 2tb drivers
    PSU
    850 watts
    Case
    Thermtake V9
    Cooling
    very powerful fans
    Keyboard
    sidewinder x4
    Mouse
    logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    chrome,firefox,ie
    Antivirus
    Avira
It sounds more like a Graphics driver problem than a fault in Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
For those of you that are test driving the new build, what has been your experience with automatic sleep? As some of you may know or have heard about, Windows 8.1 seemed to break sleep. There is an enormous discussion on this issue in this forum (as well as many other forums). I'm very curious to know what you have experienced in terms of allowing the computer to auto sleep on this new build. Does the computer now seem to sleep on its assigned time interval, like it is supposed to? Is there a significant delay in going to sleep? What about Local vs. Microsoft account, any difference there? Also, what about the use of a Homegroup? Windows 8.1 seemed to temporarily allow sleep once the user was removed from the Homegroup. In all cases, every time we thought we found a solution to the problem, within a few days the issue would re-appear and the computer would refuse to sleep again. Ultimately, the computer had to be restarted in order to reset the automatic sleep function. Many of us on this forum are hoping that with Update 1, this issue been resolved.

I am testing out the new build as well and I have developed my own observations. However, before I spill the beans, I'd like to hear from you guys as well and verify whether my observations are consistent across the board. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    32 GB Corsair Dominator GT at 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX TITAN
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q 27" overclocked to 85Hz
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB;
    Western Digital Black 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200i
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    Custom Water Loops
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19S
    Mouse
    Logitech G700S
    Other Info
    Yes, I just LOVE this system!! I've never had anything this nice, ever. It may take me a year to pay it off, but it was soooo worth it.
I'm still playing around with it myself. The more I play with it the less impressed I am with it!
The whole 'merging', as it seems, the Metro UI with the Desktop environment is totally useless, and I'm convinced it's not what MS is going to release in April...
No. 1: When logged into a site on IE Metro and minimze IE to the taskbar, you get logged out regardless of your settings,
No. 2: YouTube on the Google App won't 'backpage', it just goes to the YouTube home page, no matter how many pages in you are; also, the music stops when you minimize!......

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
After a while far from the forums nothing better than fresh news ! Fun time has begun !

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
I don't understand if they're going to eventually allow windowed mode for apps, why it's taking so long. Stardock made this possible a year ago. I tried it out on my Surface Pro, but uninstalled it because it was awkward and I didn't seem to like the use or need of it. Probably because I hardly used desktop on Surface. It's much nicer to stay in MUI on a tablet.

Granted, the taskbar wasn't integrated to show while mousing, but it wouldn't have made it any better. On desktop though, it'd be alright.

I'm beginning to imagine what it'd be like if they made the taskbar on top, like a status bar on a phone. I already use my taskbar at the top on the desktop. Then, if they moved the charms bar to the bottom, it could replace the soon-to-be on screen buttons at the bottom on Windows Phone.

I could see this being super awesome. And how they could finally get RT scaled to phone. The only thing I can't make out is what the start screen or apps screen would look like since one swipes horizontally for apps and the other vertical.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Windows 8.1 Update 1 now looking like April

I have a feeling what were seeing in the leaks will not resemble what we are to get.

My bet is that Microsoft is just wanting to line up Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1 together more than anything. There probably will be more APIs from Windows that will be in Windows Phone 8.1, maybe even the Cortana feature from it to Windows PCs. It could be just an effort to show that the Windows ecosystem is "aligned."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I don't understand if they're going to eventually allow windowed mode for apps, why it's taking so long. Stardock made this possible a year ago. I tried it out on my Surface Pro, but uninstalled it because it was awkward and I didn't seem to like the use or need of it. Probably because I hardly used desktop on Surface. It's much nicer to stay in MUI on a tablet.

Granted, the taskbar wasn't integrated to show while mousing, but it wouldn't have made it any better. On desktop though, it'd be alright.

I'm beginning to imagine what it'd be like if they made the taskbar on top, like a status bar on a phone. I already use my taskbar at the top on the desktop. Then, if they moved the charms bar to the bottom, it could replace the soon-to-be on screen buttons at the bottom on Windows Phone.

I could see this being super awesome. And how they could finally get RT scaled to phone. The only thing I can't make out is what the start screen or apps screen would look like since one swipes horizontally for apps and the other vertical.

That's an argument with the window management paradigm that's been in Windows since forever. Windowed apps that overlap each other just obviously doesn't feel "right" on a tablet but "does" on a desktop, although overlapping windows is in all honestly not the best nor efficient way to view AND use open windows.

I need to finish up some concept UI designs I have to progress Windows not onto the Desktop, but onwards toward glory. Really, all that matters on the Desktop side of things is the power of Win32 code and serious multitasking. That's it. Shoving WinRT code onto this UI paradigm that dates back several decades isn't the way to progress a platform that is meant to target tablets (which didn't exist in the early GUI days), laptops, and desktops. There needs to be a new window management paradigm that can balance out old and new together very nicely, easily, and effectively. It's possible, but as I see it, the Desktop UI of it's setup isn't the way to go...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
This is amazing for phone. Halfway in you can see the right swipe similar to a taskbar.

I'd be in heaven if this was what we got in 8.1.

The only thing missing would be syncing with Onedrive for all app/game data, start screen, and settings.

Of course, we'll be getting a quarter of anything remotely as cool as that.:(

[video=youtube;tRVC4BKWaP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVC4BKWaP8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
Microsoft.windows.8.1.2014.update.x86.only.msu.9600.16610.winblue_s14.140201-1007-wzt

microsoft.windows.8.1.2014.update.x64.only.msu.9600.16610.winblue_s14.140201-1007-wzt

Windows 8.1 Update 1 to Require All Official RTM Rollups ? Report

Ah so just having (installed) the 8.1 RTM build won't cut it. You'll have to patch up to the GA build to apply update 1. That's how I read it any way. Anybody with an 8.0 OEM install that needs to reinstall will have to update to 8.1 (though the store), patch to the GA build, and then update again to 8.1.1. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
edit: Windows 8.1 Update 1 RTM Escrow Leaked, Now Available for Download

edit: This is not RTM version.

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.2014.UPDATE.X86.ONLY.MSU.9600.16610.WINBLUE_S14.140201-1007-WZT

RELEASE DATE: 06/02/2014
BUILD: 6.3.9600.16610.WINBLUE_S14.140201-1007
FILE: Windows8.1-KB2919442-x86.msu
SIZE: 4,769,616 byte
SHA1: ACA709165CB071A5A111F9915BBF2A696B8D3989
MD5: 4E4C25FE3FDB735B9D5FA7D764B57D68
CRC: 3409F3B2

FILE: Windows8.1-KB2919355-x86.msu
SIZE: 263,777,520 byte
SHA1: 03DF6CDA755932359C5A8F624892A2381A49DF05
MD5: E0D563C71FFA62BD91BD836419CBA227
CRC: 6D0146C1

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.2014.UPDATE.X64.ONLY.MSU.9600.16610.WINBLUE_S14.140201-1007-WZT

RELEASE DATE: 06/02/2014
BUILD: 6.3.9600.16610.WINBLUE_S14.140201-1007
FILE: Windows8.1-KB2919442-x64.msu
SIZE: 10,521,184 byte
SHA1: BDAE9A24C9DB61B3E5847C016E5A8BE55205139C
MD5: 9DEEFE76B12E5821540737AAEF43BFAD
CRC: 9ABAEE71

FILE: Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.msu
SIZE: 587,295,343 byte
SHA1: AFE76E2F50BC68D59C5C3226F487E2BE7FAC0490
MD5: 72CEE6131578015236DB90342E5429B1
CRC: DBE50C23

Manual:
Installing the Windows 8.1 Update 2014 MSU to a your local Windows 8.1 RTM or Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM.

1. Install Windows 8.1 RTM or Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM any version!
2. Install one or more Windows 8.1 RTM languages.
3. Install all of the previously-released updates for Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 .
This includes:
• Rollup A (KB2883200)
• Rollup B (KB2884846)
• November Rollup (KB2887595)
• December Rollup (KB2903939)
• January Rollup (KB2911106)

Restart your PC!

4. Install Windows8.1-KB2919442-<architecture>.msu update, where <architecture> is x86, x64, by double-clicking on the file.
This is required to install before you install the Windows 8.1 Update 2014 MSU update!
Restart your PC!. You must restart the PC to complete any pending update actions.

5. Install the Windows 8.1 Update MSU file, Windows8.1-KB2919355-<architecture>.msu (where <architecture> is x86, x64) to the by double-clicking on the file.
The update will be applied for all available languages installed in the Windows 8.1.
Restart your PC. You must restart the PC to complete any pending update actions.

Fine!

07|02|2014
-=W.Z.T=-

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.

That's an argument with the window management paradigm that's been in Windows since forever. Windowed apps that overlap each other just obviously doesn't feel "right" on a tablet but "does" on a desktop, although overlapping windows is in all honestly not the best nor efficient way to view AND use open windows.

I need to finish up some concept UI designs I have to progress Windows not onto the Desktop, but onwards toward glory. Really, all that matters on the Desktop side of things is the power of Win32 code and serious multitasking. That's it. Shoving WinRT code onto this UI paradigm that dates back several decades isn't the way to progress a platform that is meant to target tablets (which didn't exist in the early GUI days), laptops, and desktops. There needs to be a new window management paradigm that can balance out old and new together very nicely, easily, and effectively. It's possible, but as I see it, the Desktop UI of it's setup isn't the way to go...

Yes windows overlapping is not the way to go, split screen is way more efficient but problem lays in desktop apps that do not sport ribbon interface. If you take some app like Photoshop you will see that it spans tools and tabs vertically both left and right which significantly kills screen estate in split screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes windows overlapping is not the way to go, split screen is way more efficient but problem lays in desktop apps that do not sport ribbon interface. If you take some app like Photoshop you will see that it spans tools and tabs vertically both left and right which significantly kills screen estate in split screen.
... and therefore you sometimes have to overlap to see what you need, when on a small screen.

I would argue that overlapping is actually more efficient use of limited space, it just doesn't look very nice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Now that's its out in the wild I wonder what the odds are of it showing up on TechNet earlier than planned?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I'm not at all certain it will be on TechNet/MSDN at all. It is supposedly an update. I know they have previously released OSs with Sps, but I don't know how they will handle this one. The leak is certainly a full installable OS? So will we have a Windows 8.1a or what?

If the leak referred to here is the only one, so far, it is already a couple of builds or so out of date-

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
There is 8.0 and 8.1 currently on TechNet/MSDN. The Enterprise builds were updated to the GA release too and include the Rollups. I really hope they put up a full 8.1.1 ISO that is the full OS with the update(s) baked in. When I do a clean install I want to do it all in one shot, I'm sure IT Pro's would want to do it that way too. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard