Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu

Windows 8 users hoping for a return of the traditional Start button and Start menu in Windows 8.1 may be disappointed.

Rumors have floated recently that Microsoft may revive the familiar Start button in the Windows 8.1 update scheduled for release later this year. A new report today from The Verge claims that "sources familiar with Microsoft's plans" have confirmed the return of the Start button.

But... Yes, there always seems to be a but....

Read more at source:
Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News

^ Yes, we all use our computers different. Nobody is right or wrong. Where I think most are miffed is the lack of choice. Give me a default way and a choice and I'm cool. Force it down my throat, well then I am not so happy about it.

How do you not have a choice? I get that visually you might not like the Start Screen/Modern UI, but the basic functionality and features of the Start Menu still exist. There are several ways you can set things up to minimize your use of the Modern UI and you also have the choice of installing one of the many third-party Start Menus available if you really just have to have an old-style, pre-Win8 Start Menu (as well as booting to desktop, etc). Users install third-party utilities all the time to add/change/enhance funtionality and features that they want in Windows. Why should this be any different? Doesn't Classic Shell exist in it's current form because people were mad they didn't have a choice between "Classic" Start Menu and the Win7 Start Menu? How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?

Very well stated. :thumbup:

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't have a choice of UI or menu when booting up 95, unless modifying. Same with 98, 98SE, Vista, or 7 of which I used. These were all OSs MS put out to sell and make a profit. That's what they're in business for and to get as much as they possibly can just as any business does.

That, again, is their intent with 8. They saw fit to introduce a new interface to do so. If one is not pleased, then modify it. It remains possible. Nuff said on this topic already. Geez.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I actually found myself on Stardock's website last night, looking over Start8 and actually considering it. At the very least it may have had something to do with the fact that I listened to Windows Weekly just a few hours earlier when they were discussing it.

I don't know ... it's tempting, but I'm just not sure I need or want it. There are some aspects of Windows 8 that frustrate me a little, like the fact that sometimes it bothers me that I am not brought back to the desktop if I launch a file that opens a Metro app. But otherwise, I like the Start screen.

What to do, what to do...:think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built/assembled myself
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X Windforce
    Sound Card
    On-board audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    2560 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2.0 TB SATA-3
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech MK520 wireless
    Internet Speed
    22 Mbps
    Browser
    IE/Chrome/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes
^ Yes, we all use our computers different. Nobody is right or wrong. Where I think most are miffed is the lack of choice. Give me a default way and a choice and I'm cool. Force it down my throat, well then I am not so happy about it.

How do you not have a choice? I get that visually you might not like the Start Screen/Modern UI, but the basic functionality and features of the Start Menu still exist. There are several ways you can set things up to minimize your use of the Modern UI and you also have the choice of installing one of the many third-party Start Menus available if you really just have to have an old-style, pre-Win8 Start Menu (as well as booting to desktop, etc)
Understood. It's the fact that I have to use a third party tool to accomplish this that I don't like. In all prior versions of Windows, they included their new start button and it's changes (as the default), with an option to use the "classic style"..which was the way it used to be. You had a choice, right out of the box from Microsoft. They eliminated this as a choice and are forcing users to use the new way or get other software to accomplish the goal.

. Users install third-party utilities all the time to add/change/enhance funtionality and features that they want in Windows. Why should this be any different? Doesn't Classic Shell exist in it's current form because people were mad they didn't have a choice between "Classic" Start Menu and the Win7 Start Menu? How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?
Yes, I have purchased and installed Start8 to get that functionality back.

How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?
2 would have worked
1). metro screen : This is the current default
2). classic start menu from Windows 7 with boot to desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Those most likely to keep "Customer Experience Improvement Program" enabled so as to deliver "telemetry" to Microsoft concerning PC usage, are the low information users most likely to NOT use the start menu in the first place.

Those most likely to use the start menu and its features, are those most likely to disable reporting usage habits to Microsoft and will likely have disabled reporting by the "Customer Experience Improvement Program".

If Microsoft thinks for one second that they are getting accurate information from this self reporting tool concerning anything even remotely important, they are sadly mistaken and passing around more potent kool-aid than even Apple has in it's cafeteria.

Maybe this is why the Failure in Telemetry happened - Because most people upon getting a new PC shut that thing off instantly and those who do not maybe hardly use the puter. But it is not a very good system to use to judge what people use and not use - They would have to do hard Polling for that. One thing I DO use, are the little comments boxes in the Microsoft Download Center, I always put my two cents in there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I actually found myself on Stardock's website last night, looking over Start8 and actually considering it. At the very least it may have had something to do with the fact that I listened to Windows Weekly just a few hours earlier when they were discussing it.

I don't know ... it's tempting, but I'm just not sure I need or want it. There are some aspects of Windows 8 that frustrate me a little, like the fact that sometimes it bothers me that I am not brought back to the desktop if I launch a file that opens a Metro app. But otherwise, I like the Start screen.

What to do, what to do...:think:

GET it - It is NOT a waste of money by any means. It's probably one of the better Orb replacements. One thing about it, is that you find out right away that you needed it and your computer navigation goes back the the way it was in 7. It sticks whatever you want to put on it, right there at your fingertips.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

How do you not have a choice? I get that visually you might not like the Start Screen/Modern UI, but the basic functionality and features of the Start Menu still exist. There are several ways you can set things up to minimize your use of the Modern UI and you also have the choice of installing one of the many third-party Start Menus available if you really just have to have an old-style, pre-Win8 Start Menu (as well as booting to desktop, etc)
Understood. It's the fact that I have to use a third party tool to accomplish this that I don't like. In all prior versions of Windows, they included their new start button and it's changes (as the default), with an option to use the "classic style"..which was the way it used to be. You had a choice, right out of the box from Microsoft. They eliminated this as a choice and are forcing users to use the new way or get other software to accomplish the goal.

. How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?
Yes, I have purchased and installed Start8 to get that functionality back.

How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?
2 would have worked
1). metro screen : This is the current default
2). classic start menu from Windows 7 with boot to desktop.

Absolutely correct.

There only needs to be two choices which would satisfy ALL customers. Why does MS continue to deny this fact? Pride, arrogance, ignorance, or perhaps all three?

Bottom line is that MS could have been the darling of the OS news IF they would have allowed BOTH traditional desktop users and Metro users to have their UI choice as the default boot on start up when you turn the PC on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Pretty stupid to not bring back the Start Menu in my opinion. It's like bringing in something that's half baked, and expecting it to be the royal prize of a cooking show. They should have brought back the Start Menu as well and kept it as an option.

I don't need the Start button on my task bar, but I do have it enabled so that when I press the start button on the keyboard,it brings up the start menu so I can quickly access programs while I'm exclusively working in the desktop. That's how I use Windows 8 exclusively. I use the Start Modern Screen when I need to access quickly bing news or that or modern ui apps.

Microsoft dropped the ball this is a half-baked decision, won't do jack crap for people who want a fully fictional Start Menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Eight
To take away the start button on the consumer OS is bad but to do the same thing on their server products is just suicide. Have you seen a tablet server yet? Nope and you will never see one so why do we have a UI designed for tablets on a server?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
A server is intended to serve, to be always running so that workstations can access it whenever. It's rediculous to even consider running a Server OS on a tablet, that is designed for casual use! It'll never be done.

But even though the idea of a server is to always run unattended, there MUST be a way for access to the databases and other programs which serve the group! ON a user PC? MAYBE we can go without an orb. On a SERVER? It simply has to be there- Or else the whole system needs to be tossed in the trash and the OS it is running.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Oh contraire given enough resources, of course.

Similarly, consider a web server application [such as the multiplatform "Apache HTTP Server"] This web server software can be run on any capable computer. For example, while a laptop or personal computer is not typically known as a server, they can in these situations fulfill the role of one, and hence be labelled as one. It is, in this case, the machine's role that places it in the category of server.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)

Not all that savvy or familiar, but if a Start Menu works on a server, why wouldn't the Start Screen work? Don't forget All apps included.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I shouldn't need to fix the missing start button and tablet based UI on a server. The tablet based UI and charms just doesn't work well on a server. Remember, we rarely actually log into a server directly buy remotely

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
I shouldn't need to fix the missing start button and tablet based UI on a server. The tablet based UI and charms just doesn't work well on a server. Remember, we rarely actually log into a server directly buy remotely

What do you need to do on a server that Server Manager can't help you with or a simple :windows key, search using that thing called a keyboard:?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
    HP Z210
    Internet Speed
    25mbps
Hi there
Windows 2012 server can operate in one of 3 modes : CLI mode (Dos box with Powershell - loads of enhanced commands available too), Basic desktop mode - or unbelievably in "standard W8 desktop mode" -- I.e Metro).

So at least when installing W 2012 server you are given the choice of desktop interface and can modify it later.

Now I for the life of me cannot see any possible reason as to why I would need Metro in any way whatsoever on a SERVER !!!.

If you Must have the full desktop GUI with Metro etc - then in server configuration just enable the "Desktop Experience". I prefer the bog standard command line version - you get a basic Windows screen with what looks like the old "Dos Box" in it but the shell has been considerably enhanced (Powershell). It's easy to operate this remotely --in any case my servers are all operated as VM's using something like VMWARE'S free Esxi which has minimal overhead and allows the virtual machines access to some real hardware devices.

I'd imagine most people running servers prefer the CLI interface to a full windows screen - unless for fun you want to run the server as a desktop OS --I've done that with windows 2003 server --makes a first class desktop OS but you need to configure a server a bit to operate satisfactorily as a Desktop / Workstation OS. !! Can be done though and is usually far more robust and efficient than the desktop OS it's replacing. I haven't tried this yet with Windows 2012 server but it can be done.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Metro screen? What's that? Heh, I use the startisback start menu program. It's basically the Win7 start menu with lots of extra customizable goodies. I've had it since the day I installed Win8. I honestly couldn't tell you how the metro screen works, or why apps like adobe reader and Skype have to take up my entire screen (probably shows how little I know about Win8). Win8 boots and I never see the metro screen unless I'm forced to somehow because I can't access an application from my desktop - Skype being an example. For some reason I can't access it from the stat menu/going through the C drive. I have to go to the metro screen and click to run it there.

Although, I am excited to see what Win 8.1 brings to the table. I believe it to be consumer friendly to at least add the option for the start menu if it is desired.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3570k Quad Core 3.4GHz liquid cooled
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 12GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 w/GTX 760 as PhysX
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Acer 24" LED
    Screen Resolution
    1900 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SataIII SSD, 3TB spare storage drive
    PSU
    750 W Modular Power Supply
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF XM
    Cooling
    2 200mm fans, 2 160mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech M800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
    Internet Speed
    300Mbps
    Browser
    FireFox/Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I didn't notice anyone mention this so I'm going to add my 2 cents. If you just right-click in the bottom left corner you get.........wait for it.........everything that was on the old start menu. Just as a little hint for any new windows users who happen to read this------right-click on everything and if it has additional functions a menu will come up. I've always found this useful and don't know why Microsoft just doesn't tell everyone to right click on everything.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4503-power-user-tasks-menu-open-windows-8-a.html

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    BIMS (built it myself)
    CPU
    i7 3930k @ 3.8 oc
    Motherboard
    ASUS P9X79
    Memory
    32 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 690
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X223W
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Cavalry 1TB - for backups
    Seagate 3TB external - most programs go here
    Samsung 840 pro ssd 512GB
    PSU
    Thermatake 850
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Water 2.0
    Keyboard
    logitech M710
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    50 Mb/s
I know I'm stating the obvious, but the Start Button is not a Start Menu, but a link to Modern start screen.

In essence M$ have replaced the traditional alpha numeric Start Menu with a full screen tile menu.

Those who use the Modern start screen have more options in Win8.1 than in W8.

However, those who have no use for apps in Modern start screen, and no desire to ever go there, are not offered any option to use a traditional Start button/Orb which opens an alpha numeric, cascaded start menu. And that's what all the fuss is about.

IMHO the Win7 Start Orb/Menu had evolved to the ultimate efficiency with search function, jump start, every program/app concisely stored in a few square inches and links to AppData, Favorites, Contacts, etc ... as well as Computer, Control Panel, etc.

M$ could so easily provide such a classic Start Orb/Alpha Numeric menu, to give traditional desk top users this option. But they point blank refuse. Which is tantamount to saying: "Yes, we'll give you heaps of options to modify the Modern Start Screen, but if you want to modify the desktop to get a legacy start menu .... well go buy third party apps! And, oh, by the way, most of them that you paid for will not work on Win8.1.

Thanks a bunch M$! That's really showing care for your legion of past desktop users. :cry:

It will be interesting to see how many past M$ fans will be pushed into Mac/Linux, etc ... by this attitude of "Our way or the highway!"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I didn't notice anyone mention this so I'm going to add my 2 cents. If you just right-click in the bottom left corner you get.........wait for it.........everything that was on the old start menu.

This is not correct. Right clicking in the area you mentioned brings up administrative options normally found in the control panel. It does NOT bring up everything that was on the old start menu; not even close.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
Hi there

The START button does have a use in Windows 8.1.

Actually in Windows 8.1 if you switch the navigation to display the APPLICATION screen whenever the START screen is requested FIRST then the start button does have some use. The application screen displays all the installed applications and there are a lot more VERTICAL tiles so for most installations you can avoid the endless scrolling (if you need to scroll at all).

Note Windows 8.1 has a Windows 8 "Classical Start screen" with the default Metro rubbish and a second Applications screen and in the NAVIGATION icon in the control panel you can choose which of these screens is displayed as the "Start screen".

You can also of course pin applications to the task bar / desktop / original Classical start screen etc. Just remember when windows applications are installed they are ONLY viewable on the APPLICATIONS screen not the classical start screen -- you have to pin these to that screen if you want to.

The search is available from EITHER of those screens -- I prefer to display the applications screen initially rather than the START screen.

I also have set Boot directly to desktop -- set that also in the same NAVIGATION option.

So pressing the START BUTTON in my case brings up the applications screen which is actually not too bad.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
There sure is a lot of dissension over a this pseudo start button... All you need is to install is Classic Shell and be done with it... The best of both worlds. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus CM5675
    CPU
    IntelCore i5 3.20Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus CM5675