Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu

Windows 8 users hoping for a return of the traditional Start button and Start menu in Windows 8.1 may be disappointed.

Rumors have floated recently that Microsoft may revive the familiar Start button in the Windows 8.1 update scheduled for release later this year. A new report today from The Verge claims that "sources familiar with Microsoft's plans" have confirmed the return of the Start button.

But... Yes, there always seems to be a but....

Read more at source:
Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News

I bet the overwhelming majority who bought Windows 8 or a Windows 8 machine don't care about this.

I also bet the overwhelming majority who don't own Windows 8 don't really know much about this, and if they did, they also wouldn't care.

This is a largely manufactured issue. Only a small percentage of user actually have strong feelings either way.

People just need to let it go and get over it.

Only a small percentage? In the known universe, there are at least 8.5 million people who have sought a third party option for the return of the start button. Those who refuse to believe this, need to get over it.

The longer a few top brass tacks at M$ keep trying to preserve their own arrogant sense of infallibility by denying the cold hard facts, the worse the long term prospects of Windows 8 and Microsoft become.

It's time the folks at the top learn humility and accept they were WRONG and make the correct changes that will benefit the company and the customer.

SNAP OUT OF IT!

Bill Gates, you need to tell it like it is. The choice of default boot to desktop and the REAL start button must return....ASAP!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Those most likely to keep "Customer Experience Improvement Program" enabled so as to deliver "telemetry" to Microsoft concerning PC usage, are the low information users most likely to NOT use the start menu in the first place.

Those most likely to use the start menu and its features, are those most likely to disable reporting usage habits to Microsoft and will likely have disabled reporting by the "Customer Experience Improvement Program".

If Microsoft thinks for one second that they are getting accurate information from this self reporting tool concerning anything even remotely important, they are sadly mistaken and passing around more potent kool-aid than even Apple has in it's cafeteria.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix DDR-1333, 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GTX650, 1GB PCIe 2.0 x16 (Zotac)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 24" LED, LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x WD 1TB Blue (System)
    1 x WD 640GB (iTunes/Media)
    2 x WD 2TB External (Storage/Media)
    PSU
    Corsair GS650
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm
    Cooling
    3 x 200mm case fans + CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech K200
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
I am pretty sure they don't think that.

MS are just selecting figures to try and present something in a way which suits their purpose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

MS are just selecting figures to try and present something in a way which suits their purpose.

Agreed.

Decide what your position is and then try and find some figures that you can present to "prove" that you are right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I bet the overwhelming majority who bought Windows 8 or a Windows 8 machine don't care about this.

I also bet the overwhelming majority who don't own Windows 8 don't really know much about this, and if they did, they also wouldn't care.

Well, I have bought a number of Windows 8 machines for work. Personally, I cared about having the start menu. And every person I setup an 8 machine for, also wanted the start button put back onto their desktop as well.

I've bought and configured 13 Windows 8 machines at my office. We had to revert one of them to Windows 7 because the wireless network card and the wireless dock are not compatible with Windows 8. On the 12 other Windows 8 boxes, 9 of them are using a Start menu tool. 2 people have elected to go without one, and 1 is our Surface Pro...which we haven't added the Start menu too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Probably, but i seem to recall reading somewhere that they used metrics from that program to decide that "no one used the start menu anymore". So apparently they must think something of the data they get from it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix DDR-1333, 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GTX650, 1GB PCIe 2.0 x16 (Zotac)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 24" LED, LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 x WD 1TB Blue (System)
    1 x WD 640GB (iTunes/Media)
    2 x WD 2TB External (Storage/Media)
    PSU
    Corsair GS650
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm
    Cooling
    3 x 200mm case fans + CPU cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech K200
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
I don't use the start button on Windows 8 and i found the new start screen way faster to use as long you know your shortcut keys, than any iteration of the start button since Win 95. I never used Win 3.x my roots come from the Amiga using WIMP (which i still use to this very day), maybe it's because of that, but i find the start screen more productive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo ideapad Y560p
    CPU
    i7-2630QM
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 6570M
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    2x1TB, 6TB External
    PSU
    120W 19.5V brick
    Case
    Standard plastic with an ideapad logo
    Cooling
    A nice fan
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Mitsai
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast 8
I like the start screen itself simply because of it's search ability. However, I hate the fact that it takes over the entire screen. I run everything on the desktop, I don't want to be taken away from it. Start Screen is a bit more tolerable on a multiple display setup. That way I can have my apps running on 1 monitor and I can run the start screen on the other monitor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
LOL! I remember once when Mystere got after you and others about this. I haven't seen him posting lately, so I'll have to be obliged to answer. :)

When I press the WinKey or click the Start Orb the Start Menu opens. Unless I can do what's this video and totally concentrate on two things at once: Lizard Eye Trick - YouTube, I'll be totally concentrating on the menu and I just can't see the rest of the desktop, so IMO what does it matter? I realize we have peripheral vision, but that really doesn't help if my mind is concentrating on the menu. If something moves suddenly on the desktop, my eyes and concentration focus on that and off the menu.

In 7 WinKey > Start Menu. Make choice or type/search > Open app.
In 8 WinKey > Start Screen + check live tile info quickly. Make choice or type/search > Open app.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I just don't want my whole screen consumed. Some times I am running a script or process and while waiting for it to finish, I will fire up another app and screw around with something. With the start menu, i Have a chance of seeing my 1st thing finish and can abandon the 2nd thing. With the Start screen, everything that I was doing is completely gone and I have this whole screen being consumed by a menu. No thanks.

Check out Windows weekly for this past week: Windows Weekly 308 | TWiT.TV. The discussion is all around the start button, various 3rd party start menu add-ons and the ability to boot straight to the desktop. Clearly with MS making some changes, I am far from being the only one who wanted to see things work a little more like they used to.

Can I launch an app from the Start Screen? Sure
Do I prefer to launch an app from the Start Screen? Nope
Have I pinned almost everything I use to the taskbar? Yep
Is the start screen a last resort? Yes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I just don't want my whole screen consumed. Some times I am running a script or process and while waiting for it to finish, I will fire up another app and screw around with something. With the start menu, i Have a chance of seeing my 1st thing finish and can abandon the 2nd thing. With the Start screen, everything that I was doing is completely gone and I have this whole screen being consumed by a menu. No thanks.

Check out Windows weekly for this past week: Windows Weekly 308 | TWiT.TV. The discussion is all around the start button, various 3rd party start menu add-ons and the ability to boot straight to the desktop. Clearly with MS making some changes, I am far from being the only one who wanted to see things work a little more like they used to.

I appreciate that link, it was very interesting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

That's what I love about Surface Pro. Swipe from the left and i'm back to anything I was doing. Easy-peasy.

No more taskbar icons for me if I can help it. I try to avoid desktop if possible on the Pro. It's just not possible yet with so few apps.

Yes. I want more Modern apps. Those that need the old desktop can bring that up if they need it. No thanks. Kinda like command prompt.:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Actually a button that brings the user directly to the start-screen is more ''touch friendly'' than no button at all, also a Windows-orb (hopefully with Windows 8's logo) will be a great indication that ''the start menu has evolved'' and that it's a continuation of what we all love and know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Internet Explorer :-P
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials)
hahahaha... Talk about being unclear on the concept. Sooner or later they'll have to realize that most people do not want metro. Period.

hi there
most people don't want income tax either -- but that doesn't mean it will be abolished.

Cheers
jimbo

rotfl

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.

That's what I love about Surface Pro. Swipe from the left and i'm back to anything I was doing. Easy-peasy.

No more taskbar icons for me if I can help it. I try to avoid desktop if possible on the Pro. It's just not possible yet with so few apps.

Yes. I want more Modern apps. Those that need the old desktop can bring that up if they need it. No thanks. Kinda like command prompt.:roflmao:

I use no metro apps, everything is on the classic desktop. I need resizable apps. Modern apps are like shareware as far as I am concerned. Mostly awful and very limited.

Nothing funny about the command prompt. I use that every single day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I love seeing good dialog(ue) about Windows. I try to pass on as much feedback as I can to relevant parties.

And I'll add my two cents as a user:

I own a macbook pro that i use for my photography and mining bitcoin (yes, I do that and yes it's a thing). My smaller laptop I use for work and school is a Windows 8 unit. I also use Windows 8 on my HP Z400 at work. Why? Because I want to stay current with our technology. I like Windows 8 for the most part and rarely use the metro start screen. When I do, it's to search for something either as a setting or an app. If it's an app I use a lot, I pin it to the task bar and am done with it. It's not perfect by any means and I haven't gotten to have any hands on time with 8.1 so I really don't know anything about it minus what I see in passing so I'm pretty much crossing my fingers at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
    HP Z210
    Internet Speed
    25mbps
I don't use the start button on Windows 8 and i found the new start screen way faster to use as long you know your shortcut keys, than any iteration of the start button since Win 95. I never used Win 3.x my roots come from the Amiga using WIMP (which i still use to this very day), maybe it's because of that, but i find the start screen more productive.

Welcome to EightForums, sajara. It's good to have you aboard.

Same here with 8 and shortcut keys. :thumb: I never flinched with 8. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Funny. That's how I've felt about the Start Menu since Win95.

Can I launch an app from the Start Menu? Sure
Do I prefer to launch an app from the Start Menu? Nope
Have I pinned almost everything I use to the taskbar and desktop? Yep
Is the Start Menu a last resort? Yes.

The difference now in Win8 is that I've pinned my 5 or 6 most used programs to the taskbar and all of the program shortcuts that I would have put on the desktop are now out of the way but easily accessible on the Start Screen. Now my desktop is used only for working files, random downloads etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Self-built
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz (Wolfdale 45nm)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3R (Socket 775)
    Memory
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (400MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600 GT (512MB)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27A350H (27")
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
^ Yes, we all use our computers different. Nobody is right or wrong. Where I think most are miffed is the lack of choice. Give me a default way and a choice and I'm cool. Force it down my throat, well then I am not so happy about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
^ Yes, we all use our computers different. Nobody is right or wrong. Where I think most are miffed is the lack of choice. Give me a default way and a choice and I'm cool. Force it down my throat, well then I am not so happy about it.

How do you not have a choice? I get that visually you might not like the Start Screen/Modern UI, but the basic functionality and features of the Start Menu still exist. There are several ways you can set things up to minimize your use of the Modern UI and you also have the choice of installing one of the many third-party Start Menus available if you really just have to have an old-style, pre-Win8 Start Menu (as well as booting to desktop, etc). Users install third-party utilities all the time to add/change/enhance funtionality and features that they want in Windows. Why should this be any different? Doesn't Classic Shell exist in it's current form because people were mad they didn't have a choice between "Classic" Start Menu and the Win7 Start Menu? How many choices for a Start Menu/Screen does MS have to include to make everyone happy?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Self-built
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz (Wolfdale 45nm)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3R (Socket 775)
    Memory
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (400MHz)