Windows 8.1 RTM Released to MSDN & Technet

Windows 8.1 is now available for download from Technet & MSDN :D

Based on the feedback from you and our partners, we’re pleased to announce that we will be making available our current Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro RTM builds (as well as Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM builds) to the developer and IT professional communities via MSDN and TechNet subscriptions. The current Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM build will be available through MSDN and TechNet for businesses later this month. For developers, we are also making available the Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate, which you can download here. For more on building and testing apps for Windows 8.1, head on over to today’s blog post from Steve Guggenheimer.

aggbug.aspx

More...

Microsoft screwed up big time with this one! Make sure you have a backup of your Windows 7 installation before upgrading to this piece of crap. Good thing I backed up. I had years of software installed on my Windows 7 installation that was summarily wiped out by this "upgrade". I figured that when they said you have to reinstall your apps, they meant the apps from the app store. But apparently not. All of my software that I spent years accumulating was gone! I am not about to go about finding product keys and installation media for all the software that I had installed, some of which doesn't exist anymore. I had gigabytes of games installed that I would have to re-download from Steam, Origin and Blizzard again. This doesn't work well if you have a slow internet connection with download caps. As I was restoring my backup of Windows 7, I wondered why Microsoft did this. The only reason I can think of, is to drive people to their store to buy software that cannot be easily replaced by this "upgrade". I noticed that during the "upgrade" of Windows 8.1, they helpfully added a screen that said you can get apps from their app store. Nice try Microsoft, but I won't be doing that again any time soon. If I have to replace all of my software in order to upgrade, I will buy an Apple or Chromebook first, instead of your very user-unfriendly operating system.

Snarks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre RTM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    Intel i7-4770 Quad Core
    Memory
    32 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Recon 3D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD Boot drive with 3 TB Data drive
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbit
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
This is great news, D/L'ing now from TechNet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Microsoft screwed up big time with this one! Make sure you have a backup of your Windows 7 installation before upgrading to this piece of crap. Good thing I backed up. I had years of software installed on my Windows 7 installation that was summarily wiped out by this "upgrade". I figured that when they said you have to reinstall your apps, they meant the apps from the app store. But apparently not. All of my software that I spent years accumulating was gone! I am not about to go about finding product keys and installation media for all the software that I had installed, some of which doesn't exist anymore. I had gigabytes of games installed that I would have to re-download from Steam, Origin and Blizzard again. This doesn't work well if you have a slow internet connection with download caps. As I was restoring my backup of Windows 7, I wondered why Microsoft did this. The only reason I can think of, is to drive people to their store to buy software that cannot be easily replaced by this "upgrade". I noticed that during the "upgrade" of Windows 8.1, they helpfully added a screen that said you can get apps from their app store. Nice try Microsoft, but I won't be doing that again any time soon. If I have to replace all of my software in order to upgrade, I will buy an Apple or Chromebook first, instead of your very user-unfriendly operating system.

Snarks

Sorry to hear.... but the upgrade path for keeping apps & settings only applies to previous versions of windows 8...and yeah backup should be a regular habit IMHO particularly if you spent years accumulating apps and setting up your rig to your specific needs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
The only problem now is the nvidia seem a little buggy, the default ones are causing my screens to have a few second blackout every now and again and the latest betas seem to crash one of my cards leaving me only 3 screens to work on, I'm sure we'll see some more drivers in the coming days.
I had that issue too after installing the leaked version, but it only did it for a few minutes and it's been fine ever since. The only thing I did was uninstall NVIDIA update and the 3D driver - maybe there is an issue with one of those.

I tried installing the latest beta from NVIDIA's site for 8.1, but it said that no compatible hardware was found (I run a GTX 670).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Corsair 4 x 4 GB 1,600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 Special Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Upgrading an existing Windows 8 Pro w/MC - do I then have to reinstall the Pro Pack as well as the Media Center? I assume I simply do it from within Windows 8 rather than boot from the disk? Sorry to sound naive but this isn't your usual "Service Pack".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
I put in on a usb stick and ran setup from within Windows 8 pro w/mc to do the upgrade, when done I had to add the media center back in by adding the key at the add features bit.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
Upgrading an existing Windows 8 Pro w/MC - do I then have to reinstall the Pro Pack as well as the Media Center? I assume I simply do it from within Windows 8 rather than boot from the disk? Sorry to sound naive but this isn't your usual "Service Pack".
Here's how I installed it, upgrading from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to 8.1 using the leaked RTM (same as the official one): -

1. Make sure you have the license key for Windows 8 Pro, the license key for the Media Center add-on, and the license key for 8.1 RTM.

2. Burn the ISO to disc and run the setup from within Windows. Choose your relevant install option (I chose to keep all files, software and settings). Enter the license key for 8.1 RTM, not one of your legit Windows keys.

3. Once complete, 8.1 will be installed, but not activated. If you need to install a language pack, you can do it now. I'm not sure what languages are included with the official RTM release, but the leaked one didn't have British English, so I had to install that separately.

4. Right-click on This PC and choose Properties. You'll see that Windows isn't activated and you can click the option to activate it. Enter in your Windows 8 Pro key. In my case, I had to use the phone activation to activate it as it said my key was in use on another PC.

5. Use the "Add a feature" option in Windows 8.1 to add the Media Center pack using your Media Center key. In my case, when I did this Windows was deactivated again as it said the key was in use on another machine, but running through the automated phone activation again sorted that out.

6. If everything is working fine, you can use Disk Cleanup to remove the Windows.old folder that contains your old Windows 8 install if you like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
I put in on a usb stick and ran setup from within Windows 8 pro w/mc to do the upgrade, when done I had to add the media center back in by adding the key at the add features bit.

If I had a spare USB key I probably would do it that way. For me with lots of blank media lying around, the disk is the easier way.

Here's how I installed it, upgrading from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to 8.1 using the leaked RTM (same as the official one): -

1. Make sure you have the license key for Windows 8 Pro, the license key for the Media Center add-on, and the license key for 8.1 RTM.

2. Burn the ISO to disc and run the setup from within Windows. Choose your relevant install option (I chose to keep all files, software and settings). Enter the license key for 8.1 RTM, not one of your legit Windows keys.

3. Once complete, 8.1 will be installed, but not activated. If you need to install a language pack, you can do it now. I'm not sure what languages are included with the official RTM release, but the leaked one didn't have British English, so I had to install that separately.

4. Right-click on This PC and choose Properties. You'll see that Windows isn't activated and you can click the option to activate it. Enter in your Windows 8 Pro key. In my case, I had to use the phone activation to activate it as it said my key was in use on another PC.

5. Use the "Add a feature" option in Windows 8.1 to add the Media Center pack using your Media Center key. In my case, when I did this Windows was deactivated again as it said the key was in use on another machine, but running through the automated phone activation again sorted that out.

6. If everything is working fine, you can use Disk Cleanup to remove the Windows.old folder that contains your old Windows 8 install if you like.

Well with the RTM 8.1 from Technet it is actually a Pro key that I got, so I probably wont have to do the double key stunt that you had to do. I will, however, have to do the Add Features one for MC.

I wonder if Shawn is doing another tute for this one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
Well with the RTM 8.1 from Technet it is actually a Pro key that I got, so I probably wont have to do the double key stunt that you had to do. I will, however, have to do the Add Features one for MC.
The leaked RTM that I downloaded came with a Pro key too, but that's only used to install it. You can then use it until January 2014 before having to activate it with the key you got when buying Windows 8.

As long as you have all of your keys written down, you'll be fine either way. :)

@z3r010 - No worries! If you had the desktop SkyDrive client installed, that is disabled in 8.1 as SkyDrive is baked into the OS, but it will still show up under Programs & Features so you can uninstall that if you want to. Also, there's a backup of your user profile in the Users folder that can be deleted - I can't remember the exact name of it, so obviously proceed with caution with that or just leave it alone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Sound Card
    RME HDSPe AIO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2713HM
    Screen Resolution
    2,560 x 1,440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
    Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB
    PSU
    Seasonic X-760
    Case
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M570
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps/3 Mbps cable
    Browser
    Opera 12.16
Clean install of Win 8.1 Pro from Technet. When I deleted my partitions on my boot SSD, it created 4 new ones instead of the usual 2. I also needed to boot from boot manager on SSD rather than just the SSD.
Only choice for language was English UK! English US for dollars and stuff.
It asked for a Serial Number which Technet gave me two. I donno why as it is supposed to be free, isn't it? Maybe because it is Pro?
The changing of text and icon sizes in resolution tab is different but better.
Right clicking the new "Start" icon on the taskbar had some useful stuff but I still installed Start8 (ver 1.20) that worked fine.
So far, no hiccups or anything that fails to install or run. Speed is faster as I have not yet installed the tons of stuff I had on it before.
Metro Start menu is funny. There are now two screens, the main one with a few choice boxes. Scroll down tho and there is still that HUGE list of garbage boxes from program installs. Too funny that MS decided to hide all that.
Will post if I find something that is a show stopper.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
a long wait has been ended with the launch of the same .. i am going to download it through the suggested sites with the hope of getting it better and smarter now

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky

I clicked 'setup' from Win8.0 Pro, ran the upgrade, and have WMC still there. Had to look on the 'Apps' start screen to find it.
TechNet versions. Didn't have to install it on Win8.0 either, which was unexpected.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
That's odd as the license isn't the same as the 8.1 installation one. I just installed 8.1 Pro and it took a while but succeeded. It wiped out my Vista Windows Mail a la Windows 7 hack but didn't touch my desktop address toolbar or quicklaunch or even my old-style Windows Calendar which I prefer. Apart from minor irritants such as changing the lock screen image and altering the boot order in my mutli-boot, all easily remedied, it went smoother than I thought it would. Gone is WEI, thank goodness. I get so fed up redoing that every time I update my graphics drivers.
Now debating whether to even attempt to get Windows Mail back. I really wish Microsoft had kept it going instead of that awful WLM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
True, but I'm a stubborn old fart so will at least try to get it back LOL ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
I just did a clean install using the en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217 which is Windows 8.1 (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English). Downloaded from TechNet. It didn't read or use my embedded key? I was prompted to enter one. Just for fun I tried the Windows 8 Pro TechNet key I used on that laptop before and it wouldn't accept it. I then just used one of my 8.1 Pro TechNet keys and it installed and activated OK. My Windows 8 TechNet ISO reads and uses the embedded key just fine. All my onboard hardware appears to be working fine with the default drivers with the exception of my track pad. It works but without the smart gestures utility I have no two finger scroll, no scroll at all actually as it doesn't have a dedicated scroll bar. I'm also not sure if my dual video is working as it should be or what video card its actually using. I'll look into that eventually, for now I'm just tweaking things and reinstalling some of my programs. I had no problem adding Media Center though add features. It will be a while before I get things the way I had them with the previous 8 install. Its stable at the moment which is more than I can say about my previous experience with the preview release. That was an upgrade install so no real surprise there. I'll take a clean install over an upgrade any day of the week.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard