Windows 8.1 RTM Released to MSDN & Technet

Windows 8.1 is now available for download from Technet & MSDN :D

Based on the feedback from you and our partners, we’re pleased to announce that we will be making available our current Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Pro RTM builds (as well as Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM builds) to the developer and IT professional communities via MSDN and TechNet subscriptions. The current Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM build will be available through MSDN and TechNet for businesses later this month. For developers, we are also making available the Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate, which you can download here. For more on building and testing apps for Windows 8.1, head on over to today’s blog post from Steve Guggenheimer.

aggbug.aspx

More...

IE 11 has blurred text issue as lots have said on this forum on some sites and is incompatible with java and other plug ins hopefully that be fixed when it is officially released or in next update it is the faster browser and hopefully the couple of issues will be fixed very soon then I can go back to windows 8.1 as I went back to windows 8 till IE 11 issues sorted

IE11 does not have blurred text issues. On some hardware, some people report blurry text in Windows 8 and 8.1, but this is related to Windows, not IE. Other people report similar problems with Chrome but not IE. Some see it in Metro mode, but not in Desktop or vice versa. The sheer randomness of the reports tells me that the problem isn't related any specific application, and may not even be entirely related to the OS specifically.. but rather a combination of factors.

IE only works with Java in desktop mode. It doesn't work with Java in Metro mode, and this is by design and won't be fixed as far as I know... unless Microsoft is working with Sun to have a special version of Java for WinRT. But Java works fine in desktop mode in IE11 on 8.1, at least it does for me.

If you're seeing problems with plug-ins, then it may be related to IE's Enhanced Protected Mode. You can turn this off (normal protected mode is still on). But, as with anything, plug-ins can be browser version specific and may need to be updated.. which doesn't typically happen until the browser has been officially released.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
IE 11 has blurred text issue as lots have said on this forum on some sites and is incompatible with java and other plug ins hopefully that be fixed when it is officially released or in next update it is the faster browser and hopefully the couple of issues will be fixed very soon then I can go back to windows 8.1 as I went back to windows 8 till IE 11 issues sorted

IE11 does not have blurred text issues. On some hardware, some people report blurry text in Windows 8 and 8.1, but this is related to Windows, not IE. Other people report similar problems with Chrome but not IE. Some see it in Metro mode, but not in Desktop or vice versa. The sheer randomness of the reports tells me that the problem isn't related any specific application, and may not even be entirely related to the OS specifically.. but rather a combination of factors.

IE only works with Java in desktop mode. It doesn't work with Java in Metro mode, and this is by design and won't be fixed as far as I know... unless Microsoft is working with Sun to have a special version of Java for WinRT. But Java works fine in desktop mode in IE11 on 8.1, at least it does for me.

If you're seeing problems with plug-ins, then it may be related to IE's Enhanced Protected Mode. You can turn this off (normal protected mode is still on). But, as with anything, plug-ins can be browser version specific and may need to be updated.. which doesn't typically happen until the browser has been officially released.

yes I am very aware of that I was talking about desktop mode when I tried yahoo games on IE 11 in desktop mode it didn't work because java would not work on it I am sure it be ok when it officially released.

I might go and put 8.1 on again and try turning off enhanced protected mode to see if that helps for now as I do love windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock H61M-VG3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    100MB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
My point is, before you state something "for the record", you might want to make sure it's true.

I posted my factual findings and stand by my statement, whether you agree or not. You can re-read my post you so adamantly disagree with and check out the site yourself (provided you have an account) using IE11.

That said, "for the record", I stand by my statement(s).

Also, for the record, I happen to like IE11, growing pains aside.

Amway this conversation is finished :cool:

You know what's great about conversations? They're finished when everyone stops talking.

You didn't just post factual findings. You posted factual findings and then jumped to the conclusion that IE needed work to fix the problem. That's the part I disagree with.

I don't have an account, as i'm not a student, so I can't test it. However, as I said, I have never yet run into an issue that wasn't a bug in the sites browser sniffing. It's the most likely reason for a rendering issue you will encounter, and if you have not verified that this is not the problem, then your conclusion is not justified.

It doesn't do anyone any good to claim that IE is buggy when the problem is with the sites. In particular, IE11 has an entirely new User agent string. It no longer even says IE in it. This is the new string

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Here is the old string

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/6.0)

In other words, if a site renders it's content based on browser type (and many do) then they won't recognize IE11 as an IE browser, much less recognize it at all. More than likely, it will send some broken version of the site.

This is simply the most likely reason for any rendering issue, so jumping to the conclusion the IE is buggy and needs work, and then defending that position despite other evidence.. well.. good luck with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
ok back on windows 8.1 turned off IE's Enhanced Protected Mode and now java working on yahoo games so very happy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock H61M-VG3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    100MB
Compatibility View Settings

For those having issues with webpages under IE11 try using compatibility View...

Tools, click Compatibility View Setting, than add the offending site. You should be on the offending site before adding.

IE11 Compatibility View.JPG

Did this on both machines running IE11 (Win 7 & 8) and now my DreamSpark issues are gone. Hopefully this fixes the Giants.com live streaming issue I'm having as well. Won't know till they broadcast a live stream.

Anyway try compatibility view for troublesome sites.

Peace :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
No, its full rtm version from microsofts dreamspark. You checked not all services, i checked them all, and they are limited. I bet when you disable windows search service, it will only disable indexing, but search will still work, and there still will be search boxes in explorer.

It might help if you specified which services you're referring to. I can't find a single one, so name one.

You asked how to "turn off" Windows Search, you didn't say "Uninstall". No, you can't uninstall search as it's integrated into the OS. It's a key part. You can turn it off though by disabling the search service.

In which way will disabling search service disables search ? I.e. in windows 7 you can completely disable search by unchecking it from "windows features" in add/remove programs -> it will disable search and it will remove search boxes from explorer.
Castrated services control is not a big deal, although windows 8 is a deal breaker itself, 8.1 is even a bigger deal breaker - broken usb power management and removed ability to control things like search is not the way i will go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win7
For those having issues with webpages under IE11 try using compatibility View...

Yes, compatibility view is another option. That basically forces rendering in IE7 mode, IIRC. Which should still work. Live streaming may be a plug-in issue. The plug-in likely has to be upgraded to support IE's new Enhanced Protected Mode. If you disable that in advanced settings, it may work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
it does you can turn off hot corners on 8.1 and boot straight to desktop if you want

8.1 only allows you to turn off the upper right and left corners as hotspots. (See the navigation tab in taskbar properties.) You cannot turn off the lower left and right corners--right corner opens charms and left corner opens the "power menu." Wouldn't make any sense for Microsoft to allow you to mute all the corners, because then you'd be stuck and it would be highly awkward to say the least.

My point is that the control Classic Shell provides for the desktop is superior not merely because the program provides a very functional start menu, but because the program provides many more configuration options than are available from the desktop in 8/8.1. You can close all the corners down if you want with Classic Shell because now you have your start menu back and can go anywhere from there--plus, you can configure the Windows key (from CS) to either open the start screen or do nothing or do something else, if you like. By leaving off the start menu, Microsoft tied its hands in relation to providing this degree and level of user control over the desktop environment.

The great thing is that we don't have to let Microsoft's short-sightedness become an insurmountable impediment, thanks to programs like Classic Shell, which strive to overcome the limits Microsoft has deliberately hobbled (with respect to non-touch desktops) Windows 8/8.1 with...;) (I have nothing to do with Classic Shell, btw, it's just that I'm impressed that a program of the quality of the 3.9.5 version of CS is available as freeware.)

Other than this one glaring area--I like 8.1 just fine. Now that I've fixed 8.1 and brought it back to my standards, I prefer it to Win7, in fact. Here's hoping Microsoft gets its ducks in a row from now on out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
No, its full rtm version from microsofts dreamspark. You checked not all services, i checked them all, and they are limited. I bet when you disable windows search service, it will only disable indexing, but search will still work, and there still will be search boxes in explorer.

It might help if you specified which services you're referring to. I can't find a single one, so name one.

You asked how to "turn off" Windows Search, you didn't say "Uninstall". No, you can't uninstall search as it's integrated into the OS. It's a key part. You can turn it off though by disabling the search service.

What I *think* he's talking about is the unremarkable fact that there are certain services essential to the operation of Windows as an OS that are always on and so the user is given no options as to stopping them, disabling them, etc. The Windows Defender Service is one such service. However, you can "turn it off" by simply running the defender.cpl and turning off the real-time protection (which is advised policy if you decide to run another antimalware program.) At least, this is what I *think* he's talking about...;) Not sure why it bothers him, though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
What I *think* he's talking about is the unremarkable fact that there are certain services essential to the operation of Windows as an OS that are always on and so the user is given no options as to stopping them, disabling them, etc. The Windows Defender Service is one such service. However, you can "turn it off" by simply running the defender.cpl and turning off the real-time protection (which is advised policy if you decide to run another antimalware program.) At least, this is what I *think* he's talking about...;) Not sure why it bothers him, though.

Ahh.. Well, that's one service that can't be disabled via Services.mmc. However, there is a reason for this. And the reason is to make it harder for malware and viruses to disable the anti-virus without your knowledge. Still, there are very few services like this, and it can be disabled in other ways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650