Windows 8.1 Preview Not Working on All Computers

Microsoft yesterday released the new Windows 8.1 Preview and even if the update is available as a free download for all Windows 8 users, not everybody can install it.

For some reason, a number of Windows 8 consumers cannot deploy Windows 8.1 Preview, even though the update shows up in the Store after deploying the original patch.

We’ve contacted Microsoft for more information on this and it appears that it’s all because of different language packs, so the company recommends users to wait until an official fix is released and only then deploy Windows 8.1 Preview.

“The base language of your OS (the language chosen during setup) is outside one of the 13 supported languages for Windows 8.1 Preview. Please note that any other language or non-specified version (such as English (United Kingdom) and Portuguese (Portugal)) are not included among the supported languages,” Microsoft explains.
Windows 8.1 Preview Not Working on All Computers

Maybe you should try the product yourself before you bash people for expressing their opinions. Also, I know what a local account is, I wasn't given that option during installation. That's why I said I was going to try it again to find a work around.

By the way, pizza is awesome, but only as long as it doesn't have onions or anchovies on it.
I'm sorry you feel this way. At no point did I say you were wrong. I haven't tried 8.1 yet, so I can't say if it's good or bad. For all I know, it could be just as crappy as you said.

The point isn't whether 8.1 is good or crappy. The point is every time you start a review with something like "I spent 10 minutes with this puppy and I hated it so much I hacked it to death" you lose all credibility. And believe me, you're not the only one who does this. A lot of tech reviewers these days seem to think it's the cool thing to say something like that.

I use an hp envy x2 for everything. A few months back, there was a review of this device that was posted. I kid you not, the reviewer started his article by saying he had a bad feeling about this device before he got it. Then in the article he said yup it was as slow and laggy as he predicted. He spent 3 paragraphs ranting about how the tablet portion does not have a charging port. This told me that he probably spent like 5 minutes with the device before writing the article, considering the fact that the device tablet portion DOES have a charging port. He also complained that it didn't have an sdcard slot even though the specs said it did. Again, I can assure you that this device does have an sdcard slot. He ended his article with a clever smirk saying something like the envy x2 does not inspire envy exactly like he predicted.

There's a reason why people want to read reviews. They want to know something about the device to decide whether they should get it or not. Why give a convoluted and obviously biased review of something?

If you think you hate something because of your bias, then either clearly state that or refrain from sharing your opinion. All bias opinions do is clog up the internets, which is made of a series of tubes.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything for the life of me that you can get to know well enough in just 10 minutes. Even a simple calculator takes longer than that to get acquainted with.

Truth be known, I will most likely give 8.1 another go to see if I can make it work for every day use. I gave Win8 a week or so, but for the reasons I explained earlier it just wasn't a viable solution. Would it work now? Maybe, maybe not. I have no need or desire to find out.

Yes, I should have spent more than 10 minutes poking around, but my first impressions were rather poor. The new "start" button isn't even a start button in the traditional or classic sense. Its nothing more that a shortcut to get you back to the metro interface, the same as the Windows key on the keyboard. It was deceiving and insulting of Microsoft to tell their customers that they had "listened to the masses and have reinstated the start button", knowing full well it was a flat out lie.

All Microsoft has to do is give users the ability to switch to a classic desktop if they choose to do so, and it should include the traditional start button and start menu. This option should be available without the need for a 3rd party app like Classic Shell. If they were to do just that one simple thing they would stand a good chance of Win8 or 8.1 becoming a huge success on the same level as Win 7. But their refusal to do so is doing nothing but alienating their customers and pushing them towards alternatives.

Its also costing them a butt-load of cash. That alone should give them enough incentive to listen to their customers desires.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
Maybe you should try the product yourself before you bash people for expressing their opinions. Also, I know what a local account is, I wasn't given that option during installation. That's why I said I was going to try it again to find a work around.

By the way, pizza is awesome, but only as long as it doesn't have onions or anchovies on it.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/27308-windows-8-1-blue-preview-beats-windows-8-a-3.html

Look at jimbo's last paragraph.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I really wonder if Microsoft did that on purpose just to tick off the people begging for the return of the start button and start menu. What a way to give your potential customers the finger.

Possibly. More likely it is an ambush for the unsuspecting. They can now display the desktop on machines in store. I suspect the hideous start screen has been repelling people from buying 8 machines.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
I decided when windows 8.1 was first available I would wait for the ISO files to be available to download and dual boot on my PC and laptop, both then had W8 Pro installed. I'm glad I did this, and, as like W8 Preview, W8.1 Preview is buggy and annoying, for example the new start menu for mind is a step backwards compared to W8 and is buggy - the resizing is OK, but that's all, also remote control is a little buggy. When I finished installing both of OS's and completed setting everything up I ran sfc /scannow on both the machines and both were clean with no integrity violations in the system files which is good.
So what I'm getting at is you can live in both worlds if you have the time to dual boot, and there is no problems with W8 when you want to return, its automatically included in the boot menu and works - this is on a single drive with multiple partitions on my laptop. On the PC I decided I would install it to another hard drive, as I didn't have enough room on my 250gb drive, and that worked except W8.1 wasn't included in the boot menu when I finished, however BCD Edit will probably fix that.
So don't rush in and make hasty decisions, think it through, and don't expect beta versions to be as good as they were with Windows 7, the final version of W8 after numerous updates is as good as W7 and even better for mind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Notebook N53SV Series
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-2630 CPU @ 2.0GHz /turbo 2.9Hz
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT540M
    Sound Card
    realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500gb 5400
    Keyboard
    microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 v2
    Mouse
    microsoft wieless mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    13/16mbs
    Browser
    IE Firefox Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I decided when windows 8.1 was first available I would wait for the ISO files to be available to download and dual boot on my PC and laptop, both then had W8 Pro installed. I'm glad I did this, and, as like W8 Preview, W8.1 Preview is buggy and annoying, for example the new start menu for mind is a step backwards compared to W8 and is buggy - the resizing is OK, but that's all, also remote control is a little buggy. When I finished installing both of OS's and completed setting everything up I ran sfc /scannow on both the machines and both were clean with no integrity violations in the system files which is good.
So what I'm getting at is you can live in both worlds if you have the time to dual boot, and there is no problems with W8 when you want to return, its automatically included in the boot menu and works - this is on a single drive with multiple partitions on my laptop. On the PC I decided I would install it to another hard drive, as I didn't have enough room on my 250gb drive, and that worked except W8.1 wasn't included in the boot menu when I finished, however BCD Edit will probably fix that.
So don't rush in and make hasty decisions, think it through, and don't expect beta versions to be as good as they were with Windows 7, the final version of W8 after numerous updates is as good as W7 and even better for mind.
You say it is buggy, then please explain what the bugs are so that others may be either helpful with the problems or see if they can come up with a fix. Also this will help those who are installing Win 8/8.1 for the first time. . .Thank You. . .:D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
I didn't see any bugs so far.

To me it's just 8.0 with the new menu features, not a noticeable change in any sense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Win8.1 is for US only

I live in Ireland
I have been trying to install Win8.1 on my SurfaceRT 64bit.
I Have even installed the US version of keyboard & Language.

I have been a Beta Tester of EVERY MS Beta.

I will never do it again after this slap in the face!!

See all the "I"s, that is how mad I am!!

TULLY :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    External Seagate "Dashboard" File Backup Drive USB3
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    Samsung Super Write Master 24 DVD Writer
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3

I had already read that, but thanks just the same. I have an idea where I screwed up during installation. The next chance I get to do the install again I'll try to verify it.

I was running Win 8 with only a local account and when MS announced you needed a Microsoft Account (Live Account) which I had for my old Technet sub I just created a new user account and gave it Admin privileges and used it to upgrade to 8.1. After it finished I just used my local account and it works just fine.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
You say it is buggy, then please explain what the bugs are so that others may be either helpful with the problems or see if they can come up with a fix. Also this will help those who are installing Win 8/8.1 for the first time. . .Thank You. . .:D

One that I've noticed is that the new Start Screen is buggy.

Pin to Start doesn't always work, and stuff that's in All Apps often can't be moved or copied to the Start Screen.

I've enabled the Quick-Launch toolbar to cater for programs that won't pin, though, and all is good in this part of Oz.

I am not using a 3rd-party start menu at this stage, I'm trying 8.1 without it.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Hi All, I live in Australia and have an ASUS RT Tablet that I was able to upgrade to 8.1 via the store no problems, but I also have a desktop PC running a registered version of Windows 8 Pro and when I go to the store there is no sign of the 8.1 upgrade, what's the problem. Is this the English language issue I have read about, if so, how come I got the download on m RT?

I should add I received and email from Microsoft stating my RT 8.1 update was available at the store, but, I receive no such advice for my desktop PC.. Would appreciate some comments .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Build RP B8400
    Asus 64 bit Windows 8 RP B8400
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40Ghz 3.40 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z68 VPro
    Memory
    8.00Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 6000 series
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 1200
    Hard Drives
    1 x120gb SSD plus 2 1TB Drives in Raid 1 configuration
    1 Netgear Stora 1TBnetwork drive
    PSU
    800w
    Case
    Timberlake Gaming type
    Cooling
    Yes
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G Series
    Other Info
    Logitech HD 1080P Web Cam and a Logitech Z4 Sound System.
Welcome to the forum, Les.

Mate, you need to go to the Microsoft site, apparently there's an 'update' that needs to be installed first, and then you can d/l from the store.

I can't say for sure exactly how downloading it that way works, as I downloaded the ISO version.

Hope this helps you.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Win8.1

What Microsoft site?

I am in Ireland & have the same language problem.

I hear about the ISO, but where do you download it from?

Microsoft is no help in this fiasco!

Tully

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Win8.1 Update

I went to the tutorial & it DOES NOT LIST UK ENGLISH as one of the languages supported!

I can't fathom why UK English is not on the list!!

Tully :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3
I went to the tutorial & it DOES NOT LIST UK ENGLISH as one of the languages supported!

You can use the .iso image with US(Eng), change the keyboard layout, regional settings( date&time) to UK while installing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
hello Folks..
for my Person it runs successfully....
i think there might be differences between the accepted Interfaces instead of 8pro...
by have a look of all it´s a little bit better for understand userfriendly interrests.
A Person told me Windows 8 ,the world isn´t able to use this stuf.
Isn´t it ??
I love w8...
blue81_jar_.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8, 8.1 ,7 , xp, cent os
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    core2 duo, ip4, atomes
    Memory
    up to 8 gb

You can use the .iso image with US(Eng), change the keyboard layout, regional settings( date&time) to UK while installing.

Why should I have to change my setup to comply with stupidity?

Tully

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3
It's a workaround that allows you to install 8.1 .... (duh) ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus CM5675
    CPU
    IntelCore i5 3.20Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus CM5675