Windows 8.1 Coming in June

If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?

Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
Oh really?...

VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN » New report about the WinRT port — Kickstarter

It already taking them 3 months to reinvent there program and they are not finished yet no wonder developers are not writing for RT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
Oh really?...

VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN » New report about the WinRT port — Kickstarter

Why pose a question and then later post an answer, which you already knew? You do have a very strange way of going about things.

But then, your post doesn't support your argument (that I think you're trying to pose) in any case. VLC may not be one of the Microsoft approved developers that gets advance details of software, they may not have been interested in developing for RT at the time, they may not have had the resources available, or any number of reasons.
One swallow does not a summer make

That's the point, you thought RT was a dead on arrival product, but even OPEN SOURCED developers that have literally nothing to gain went ahead and started developing it back in December, and a beta build has been released recently to the Kickstarter backers. Four months to get to beta on WinRT from Win32. The final product isn't expected until later this month or May. So about five months of time to get a full Win32 Desktop app to WinRT. How long will Windows 8 have been out by that time? Sevenish months.

So keep your knickers on, Windows 8 is developing further and developers are starting to pick up on Windows 8 as well....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
That's the point, you thought RT was a dead on arrival product, but even OPEN SOURCED developers that have literally nothing to gain went ahead and started developing it back in December, and a beta build has been released recently to the Kickstarter backers. Four months to get to beta on WinRT from Win32. The final product isn't expected until later this month or May. So about five months of time to get a full Win32 Desktop app to WinRT. How long will Windows 8 have been out by that time? Sevenish months.

So keep your knickers on, Windows 8 is developing further and developers are starting to pick up on Windows 8 as well....

Keep your knickers on also this story hits the nail head on why the PC and other high priced computers are dead in the water for most people.

The 'Toasterization' of personal computers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
It it comes down to people saying "How Bad Windows 8 Is" - I don't think Windows 8 is bad. I just think Metro is bad. I got no problems with the Windows 8 Desktop, I'm quite pleased with it. Heh.
Let me narrow it down further. Metro on desktops or non-touchscreen laptops is bad. Metro on tablets and laptops with touch screens is great. Desktop on tablets is bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene
    Memory
    16GB A-DATA DDR3-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    QNIX QX2710
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 series 250GB
    Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB (Data)
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3TB (Backup)
    PSU
    Silversonte G series 750W
    Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG09
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12S
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Logitech G602
    Internet Speed
    200Mbps/200Mbps Fibre
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Keep your knickers on also this story hits the nail head on why the PC and other high priced computers are dead in the water for most people.

The 'Toasterization' of personal computers
Now that article is moot because it author says chromebooks are selling well. Umm, not really. They've been out for years and don't even occupy a percentage point in the total picture of platforms.

Though the author does mention the fact that people use more web services, which is what Windows 8 can do real well...

Also, I can buy a pretty decent toaster for under 20 dollars. It isn't built like crap, but is cost effective.

There is a line between cheap and cost effective.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The funny thing is, that the rumours abound that RT is pretty much dead in the water and even Microsoft is planning to give it away. If Microsoft wanted a device for consumption and a device for productivity, it could quite easily have kept 8 and RT separate. But I think it'll be easier to just drop RT and continue with 8.

So developers may still try and produce Windows apps, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a big deal for them at the moment. The Windows app store is still chock full of crap and/or apps that are nothing more than what is available in the desktop via IE etc. For example, why would you really need an app version of VLC, if you have the desktop version anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
The funny thing is, that the rumours abound that RT is pretty much dead in the water and even Microsoft is planning to give it away. If Microsoft wanted a device for consumption and a device for productivity, it could quite easily have kept 8 and RT separate. But I think it'll be easier to just drop RT and continue with 8.

So developers may still try and produce Windows apps, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a big deal for them at the moment. The Windows app store is still chock full of crap and/or apps that are nothing more than what is available in the desktop via IE etc. For example, why would you really need an app version of VLC, if you have the desktop version anyway.

Do you even use Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
How many Windows 8 devices can you carry in your pocket that is all ways connected to the net. Not many but all iphones, Android phones and Windows 8 phones (which are not selling well) that is what people are buying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
How many Windows 8 devices can you carry in your pocket that is all ways connected to the net. Not many but all iphones, Android phones and Windows 8 phones (which are not selling well) that is what people are buying.

How many of those can be used to add music into said devices?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Have no idea as I am too hard of hearing to listen to music any more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

I have a dual boot 7 and 8, and the apps are crap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Have no idea as I am too hard of hearing to listen to music any more.

As someone who is not hard of hearing, I can tell you the answer. NONE OF THEM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I have a dual boot 7 and 8, and the apps are crap.
And what do you use primarily?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
For example, why would you really need an app version of VLC, if you have the desktop version anyway.
Don't forget the tablet users - please. Using desktop apps on a tablet is a horrible experience. The stock video app doesn't support MKV and FLV and many of the other non-popular formats. That's what I want VLC for. On the desktop I don't give a damn. MPC-HC does a wonderful job there. Even better than what VLC does - for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene
    Memory
    16GB A-DATA DDR3-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    QNIX QX2710
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 series 250GB
    Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB (Data)
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3TB (Backup)
    PSU
    Silversonte G series 750W
    Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG09
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12S
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Logitech G602
    Internet Speed
    200Mbps/200Mbps Fibre
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I use Windows 7 primarily, because it's a lot better at the moment. Also, I'm waiting to see what Microsoft does with Windows 8 before I'm prepared to commit to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Wow, It's been a while since I looked in here hahaha. Coke Robot, I take it you are the big proponent of Windows 8 for these forums? Heh. Always love your posts man.

Like I said, I love the Windows 8 Desktop. I hate the Metro thing, loathe and despise it. But that's just me. My biggest beef, is that they took out most of the easy ways to fix a hosed Windows system. In Windows 7, there are simple tools that you can run from Safe Mode or the Boot Options menu. Or, from the install disk - If you have trouble booting, you just plop the install disk into the drive, and run the setup repair.

I've been locked out of my main Windows 8 system for 3 days. It said "Boot Volume Not Mountable." What the F?!! It would not boot and the Automatic Repair, well it simply will not run under certain conditions. I had to use my Hiren's Boot DVD to run a disk checking program, not CHKDSK, but one that checks the entire volume. And I had "Read Element Failure" on my Windows 8 Drive (I have Windows 8 and 7 as a dual boot on this machine). - I could not even get into windows 7 because the choice screen will not show unless all of the Auto Diags run properly.

Most of the Automatic Repair messages I got were to the tune of "Windows Can't Fix this" heap. Eventually, I was able to get past the Auto Repair to the Boot Choice screen, then I was able to boot to Windows 7 to run a sufficient CHKDSK.

This all used to be so easy under Windows 7, but now I know, if there is the slightest SMART error or media error on your drive, it fouls up the whole thing- And Windows 8 Auto Repair is not sophisticated enough to detect and fix these errors.

Basically, I need to move my partition to a new drive before the drive craps out totally. Now even that, I had a system for doing it. I'm not sure how to do it with Windows 8, because the boot loader is actually ON the Windows 7 drive, because it is the first disk in the system on the IDE Bus, the rest of the drives are on the SATA bus.

Anyway, I'll keep using Windows 8 - I need to know everything there is to know about repairing it, so I'm glad this is happening now and not while I am at a client's house and the system fails to load - Once I have a method of dealing with the most common ways Windows 8 can fail, then I'll feel comfortable with adding Windows 8 to the list of systems I can fix. For the time being though, I tell my clients to keep using Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
For example, why would you really need an app version of VLC, if you have the desktop version anyway.
Don't forget the tablet users - please. Using desktop apps on a tablet is a horrible experience. The stock video app doesn't support MKV and FLV and many of the other non-popular formats. That's what I want VLC for. On the desktop I don't give a damn. MPC-HC does a wonderful job there. Even better than what VLC does - for me.

Let along the fact that the Desktop app of VLC is HORRID for touch, drop down menus suck simply put for touch. One would need a stylus to use that properly without frustration, or a big increase in DPI.

Bu the leaked screenshots, like two, of the VLC app look real nice. If the music part of the player has a real nice and functional design, I do believe that will be my one stop shop app for digital media. If I can figure out how to get my TV tuner working with it, I shall be glad!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Wow, It's been a while since I looked in here hahaha. Coke Robot, I take it you are the big proponent of Windows 8 for these forums? Heh. Always love your posts man.

Like I said, I love the Windows 8 Desktop. I hate the Metro thing, loathe and despise it. But that's just me. My biggest beef, is that they took out most of the easy ways to fix a hosed Windows system. In Windows 7, there are simple tools that you can run from Safe Mode or the Boot Options menu. Or, from the install disk - If you have trouble booting, you just plop the install disk into the drive, and run the setup repair.

I've been locked out of my main Windows 8 system for 3 days. It said "Boot Volume Not Mountable." What the F?!! It would not boot and the Automatic Repair, well it simply will not run under certain conditions. I had to use my Hiren's Boot DVD to run a disk checking program, not CHKDSK, but one that checks the entire volume. And I had "Read Element Failure" on my Windows 8 Drive (I have Windows 8 and 7 as a dual boot on this machine). - I could not even get into windows 7 because the choice screen will not show unless all of the Auto Diags run properly.

Most of the Automatic Repair messages I got were to the tune of "Windows Can't Fix this" heap. Eventually, I was able to get past the Auto Repair to the Boot Choice screen, then I was able to boot to Windows 7 to run a sufficient CHKDSK.

This all used to be so easy under Windows 7, but now I know, if there is the slightest SMART error or media error on your drive, it fouls up the whole thing- And Windows 8 Auto Repair is not sophisticated enough to detect and fix these errors.

Basically, I need to move my partition to a new drive before the drive craps out totally. Now even that, I had a system for doing it. I'm not sure how to do it with Windows 8, because the boot loader is actually ON the Windows 7 drive, because it is the first disk in the system on the IDE Bus, the rest of the drives are on the SATA bus.

Anyway, I'll keep using Windows 8 - I need to know everything there is to know about repairing it, so I'm glad this is happening now and not while I am at a client's house and the system fails to load - Once I have a method of dealing with the most common ways Windows 8 can fail, then I'll feel comfortable with adding Windows 8 to the list of systems I can fix. For the time being though, I tell my clients to keep using Windows 7.

Thanks! :cool: I try!

Some things in Windows 8, like the Safe Mode thing, were done because on new PCs with UEFI, it would literally be impossible to do that to begin with. New PCs would have to still use the MBR style partitioning setup along with the old BIOS just in the 1 in like...150-200 chance you may ever need Safe Mode boot. That generally happens if you have a more advanced setup and/or driver issues, which on new PCs, don't really happen much. Actually, if you were to use Windows 8 with a dual boot of 7, I believe you can change the BCD file back over to the 7 style and it reverts back to the GRUB like launcher of dual boot. Or install 7 after 8, that works as well. I don't know for sure in the final RTM build, but I know that worked in most of the Preview builds.

That Boot Volume not Mountable issue kind of sucks. I've seen that happen with Windows 8 To Go an a newish PC booting off the USB drive, and I would get that error. It sucked because I was wanting to demo off To Go and Windows 8 to some people, but that didn't work until I got a laptop that is like five years old to run it. A laptop that was one year old didn't work with it... I never figured out why.... But in all honesty, Windows 8 is SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better with hard drive issues and errors. Holy cow! I've been able to hotswap in a laptop drive to my PC, and Windows (through Action Center) says that Windows needs to restart to fix some drive issues on that particular drive. Restart, and it's fine. CHKDSK in Windows 8 was improved actually. It does show, but if Windows can't fix those issues, it's usually pretty bad. Or if Windows screws up after a run of it, then the damaged was with system files. Actually, the other day, I was watching one of my shows on my puter, and a dialog box came up saying that my G drive is failing and it gave me the option to back up the data right away from that drive to a new one. It was rather interesting.

But I should say, I haven't seen Windows 8, from Developer Preview to RTM Pro, really poop the bed. Windows 7 I've seen has. The ONLY times were I have seen issues pop up with 8 was when I was hotswapping a drive and moving files over. The hard drive I connected, its file system got TOTALLY corrupted to the point where it like reformatted itself...not a very good day AT ALL... But that was the Developer Preview and due to Hybrid Boot. Even to this day, I still restart a PC with Windows 8 and kill it before POST finishes before I do such.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
So, Windows is going to become OSX like in its releases.. hmmm, just what I don't want to see from a technical support perspective. More variations of the OS.

Honestly, I bet Windows was supposed to be on a yearly release of a minor updated OS, then a revamped one two years after that. vista screwed the pooch REAL hard with that. Windows 8 seems to be getting it back on track.

But this is really no different than a service pack. Just has new features here and there.

Hi there
@coke robot.
I would suggest you brush up on your English -- or at least try and understand what you are actually writing.

I quote : ........"Just has new features here and there.............".

Do you have ANY understanding whatsoever of the implications of that statement. -- You could say the same difference about Windows 98 compared to Windows 7 -- It just Has New features -- !!!!!! (It's still Windows but with new features).

As I've said before you often don't seem to understand what on earth you are posting about and certainly you keep changing your mind about so many things that it's impossible to know what you DO or DON'T like.

Windows 8.1 while not a new release (such as say Windows 9.0) is positioned at a level higher than a mere service pack --- If you can cast your mind back to Windows 3.0 (the first really useable version) and then Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups as it was popularly known) you would certainly have to say that Windows 3.11 was more than a mere service pack to Windows 3.0.

@pparks1
I would have to agree with you that for a commercial enterprise you want an OS that's essentially stable and rarely needs any upgrading during its (hopefully) longish life. I can't see IT techs etc wanting to upgrade a whole slew of network computers etc every 6 months -- just NOT what the Doctor ordered.

Home consumers can upgrade OS'es at will -- however in a workplace this is often quite an exhaustive business as there is usually a whole slew of applications and hardware that have to be RIGOROUSLY tested before being released into production. You only have to look at some of the recent Bank outages in W. Europe when some software was rolled out too early -- some people were locked out of THEIR OWN MONEY for not DAYS but WEEKS.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
So, Windows is going to become OSX like in its releases.. hmmm, just what I don't want to see from a technical support perspective. More variations of the OS.

Honestly, I bet Windows was supposed to be on a yearly release of a minor updated OS, then a revamped one two years after that. vista screwed the pooch REAL hard with that. Windows 8 seems to be getting it back on track.

But this is really no different than a service pack. Just has new features here and there.

Hi there
@coke robot.
I would suggest you brush up on your English -- or at least try and understand what you are actually writing.

I quote : ........"Just has new features here and there.............".

Do you have ANY understanding whatsoever of the implications of that statement. -- You could say the same difference about Windows 98 compared to Windows 7 -- It just Has New features -- !!!!!! (It's still Windows but with new features).

As I've said before you often don't seem to understand what on earth you are posting about and certainly you keep changing your mind about so many things that it's impossible to know what you DO or DON'T like.

Windows 8.1 while not a new release (such as say Windows 9.0) is positioned at a level higher than a mere service pack --- If you can cast your mind back to Windows 3.0 (the first really useable version) and then Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups as it was popularly known) you would certainly have to say that Windows 3.11 was more than a mere service pack to Windows 3.0.

@pparks1
I would have to agree with you that for a commercial enterprise you want an OS that's essentially stable and rarely needs any upgrading during its (hopefully) longish life. I can't see IT techs etc wanting to upgrade a whole slew of network computers etc every 6 months -- just NOT what the Doctor ordered.

Home consumers can upgrade OS'es at will -- however in a workplace this is often quite an exhaustive business as there is usually a whole slew of applications and hardware that have to be RIGOROUSLY tested before being released into production. You only have to look at some of the recent Bank outages in W. Europe when some software was rolled out too early -- some people were locked out of THEIR OWN MONEY for not DAYS but WEEKS.

Cheers
jimbo
I don't really know what you're talking about because I know for a fact I'm rather consistent in what I like and don't..... :sarc:

I would like to see examples of how I like something and then don't or otherwise.

And that's a comparison I made, it'll be LIKE, LIKE as in a simile, a service pack, but with extras, LIKE maybe a second edition or such. No one knows if it will be distributed LIKE a service pack or otherwise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back