Windows 8.1 Coming in June

What i meant was that IT is slow to roll something out until it's had some time and has proven itself. We won't hardly have been given time on 8, before Blue is out. This means IT will again be waiting for Blue to prove itself. IT isn't going to adopt anything on a large scale anytime soon if we are going to be constantly changing. That's why I said things might not be getting better for 8 from the IT front.

I'm always baffled when people point at Enterprise adoption as representive of anything. Most IT departments MIGHT take a look at 7 now that XP is entering obsolesence mode. 8 isn't even a blip on the radar for most companies, and if they do switch to 7 they won't leave it until the cows come home. Doesn't matter if 8, 9, or 10 were the best operating systems ever.. unless there is a tangible reason to switch, they won't.

They simply upgrade only when they have to to minimize disruption.

It also can be a downside for Microsoft in that one of the key selling points, the mobility aspects, can also be a detriment given that companies can tabletize out to iPads or Samsung tablets, without having to upgrade the operating system at the same time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
I'm looking forward to this since that I have recently bought a new tablet. I don't really care if there aren't many improvements on the desktop front. All I do care right now is that they make the tablet experience much better. I don't use Metro on my desktop anyways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene
    Memory
    16GB A-DATA DDR3-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    QNIX QX2710
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 series 250GB
    Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB (Data)
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 3TB (Backup)
    PSU
    Silversonte G series 750W
    Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG09
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12S
    Keyboard
    Generic
    Mouse
    Logitech G602
    Internet Speed
    200Mbps/200Mbps Fibre
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
This would be an issue if Windows 8 had a large uptake of the enterprise, which it does not have. We OBVIOUSLY know that the enterprise isn't going to be rolling out 8 any time soon...
And this just means it's not going to be getting better anytime soon.

Windows 8 is going to be adopted more in the consumer space, the enterprise space will stick to Windows 7 for a good while. That sector isn't well known for rapid deployments of a new operating system AT ALL. Look at xp...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Windows 8 being adopted in the enterprise will take a good while, it most probably spur if said enterprise has and is going to adopt Windows Phone, Windows 8 then makes sense, as well as tablet PCs. Some enterprises are going to go to Windows 8 as there is benefit to be had, and works LOTS better on early 2000 to mid 2000 era PC hardware. Windows 8 can actually run better on a Windows xp PC than xp.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hopefully everything is tested. I do like that they are taking a faster approach to updating. I always thought they took too long between XP and Vista. Vista didn't feel as significant of an update as it should have been. Hopefully these mini-updates won't be disappointing and hopefully not long before the next complete version.

My Computer

Windows 8 being adopted in the enterprise will take a good while, it most probably spur if said enterprise has and is going to adopt Windows Phone, Windows 8 then makes sense, as well as tablet PCs. Some enterprises are going to go to Windows 8 as there is benefit to be had, and works LOTS better on early 2000 to mid 2000 era PC hardware. Windows 8 can actually run better on a Windows xp PC than xp.

Well.. they definately have to do something to claw back into the mass tablet game. SP is nice but will need to continually build over time in that form factor. They have the mods coming for 7" in Blue, but they're going to have to hit a very good price point if they want to move a Surface Mini, even if they sell it at or below cost, Amazon-style. They need to actually be putting pressure on Apple and Samsung in that market to cut the overall profit margin and gain much-needed share.

And if they in any way care what the OEM's think, they aren't in it to win it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A 7" tablet is great for consumption type activities and as a display device for information services, such as navigation, OBDII data display and the like. Microsoft has bugger all apps that do much at all, other than mostly repeat what is available in a desktop environment.

That's why RT is partly a failure, there are no compelling apps whatsoever. In this respect, Apple/Android offer so much more that it will be an almost impossible task to wean anyone off these platforms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Hopefully everything is tested. I do like that they are taking a faster approach to updating. I always thought they took too long between XP and Vista. Vista didn't feel as significant of an update as it should have been. Hopefully these mini-updates won't be disappointing and hopefully not long before the next complete version.

xp to vista was a pretty big update. From vista to 7, not so much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
A 7" tablet is great for consumption type activities and as a display device for information services, such as navigation, OBDII data display and the like. Microsoft has bugger all apps that do much at all, other than mostly repeat what is available in a desktop environment.

That's why RT is partly a failure, there are no compelling apps whatsoever. In this respect, Apple/Android offer so much more that it will be an almost impossible task to wean anyone off these platforms.

Hence the reason to go with a price at or below cost. One thing feeds the other. Marketshare begats more apps. More apps begats marketshare.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Windows RT literally came out six months ago, Windows 8 is barely coming on the radar's of developers. Even with Windows Phone 8, all of a sudden, app developers are going on Windows Phone. A major app model change and a major UI change and a major OS change like that doesn't get adopted in six days.

Keep your trousers on....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Windows RT literally came out six months ago, Windows 8 is barely coming on the radar's of developers. Even with Windows Phone 8, all of a sudden, app developers are going on Windows Phone. A major app model change and a major UI change and a major OS change like that doesn't get adopted in six days.

For how long was Windows 8 available as previews etc? Six days? Microsoft is well known to engage developers very early before final release of a product, to ensure that things roll on quickly and smoothly from the outset. What happened? Lack of interest?

The entire premise of Windows 8 is the MPI, a complete cross-platform OS. Developers can't abandon Windows 8 for Windows Phone, because they are one and the same. Aren't they? And we aren't really talking about the MPI here, were talking about what it can provide. Which, at the moment, is very little.

Keep my trousers on? From someone whose shorts are around their ankles?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

For how long was Windows 8 available as previews etc? Six days? Microsoft is well known to engage developers very early before final release of a product, to ensure that things roll on quickly and smoothly from the outset. What happened? Lack of interest?

The entire premise of Windows 8 is the MPI, a complete cross-platform OS. Developers can't abandon Windows 8 for Windows Phone, because they are one and the same. Aren't they? And we aren't really talking about the MPI here, were talking about what it can provide. Which, at the moment, is very little.

Keep my trousers on? From someone whose shorts are around their ankles?

No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.

So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?

My Computer

System One

• OS

So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?

Are you intentionally trying to start something that shouldn't even be started if this were anyone else?.... :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Are you intentionally trying to start something that shouldn't even be started if this were anyone else?.... :rolleyes:

You made a statement that you emphasised as fact. I merely questioned that statement. If you don't wish to be challenged, then be careful with what you write.

My Computer

System One

• OS

You made a statement that you emphasised as fact. I merely questioned that statement. If you don't wish to be challenged, then be careful with what you write.
There really wasn't anything to question....

If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?

Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
That's awesome, VLC has almost reinvented their wheel. I wonder how many app developers are just going to say "screw it, I'm not going to be bothered with all of this"?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
Oh really?...

VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN » New report about the WinRT port — Kickstarter

Why pose a question and then later post an answer, which you already knew? You do have a very strange way of going about things.

But then, your post doesn't support your argument (that I think you're trying to pose) in any case. VLC may not be one of the Microsoft approved developers that gets advance details of software, they may not have been interested in developing for RT at the time, they may not have had the resources available, or any number of reasons.
One swallow does not a summer make

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back