Win 8/explorer 10 slowdown

It's back at full speed because you re-installed Windows 8. It has nothing to do with the shortcut.
No you're wrong.

After clean reinstall of W8 in native format with no StartIsBack or any other hacked programs/apps ... on starting IE10, Google would take 8 - 10 seconds to open. The status message was: "Waiting on Google ..."

I was opening it using a desktop shortcut created from: C: drive --> Program files(x86) --> Internet explorer --> iexplore --> Send to desktop as shortcut.

And other web sites were on a parity in being slow to open.

I came across the "Quick launch --> Launch IE Browser" in AppData by chance, and sent it to desktop as shortcut, and hey presto ... snap crackle and pop!

Please explain? Cos I can't! :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Hi again Mustang,

My 10 second boot is from a cold start (must be powered down and push power on button).
My restart time is considerably longer (haven't timed it yet).
Hi norepli. I take it you turned the power off at the mains before pushing power on button on tower?

Here is expanded admin log, done in four parts because I couldn't expand the log panel to include it all in one pic.

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

Capture 4.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I'm not sure I understand your question. I have a power distribution panel that feeds several things (including the PC tower). So, in the morning I hit the power on button on the distribution panel and that applies "tentative power" to the PC tower. I then push the power on button on the PC tower and boot. BTW, your boot looks fairly clean so I guess your BIOS delay must be the difference between yours and mine.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes you've read me correctly. I switch my PC off with electronic switch activated via Start Orb --> Shut down. This still leaves mains power switched on to power box in the PC which keeps all the capacitors charged. By switching off the mains power, as you do when you turn off your distribution panel, and pressing the power on button on the PC, it tries to start by using residual current stored in capacitors which act as temporary storage batteries. If you look at the fans in the PC when you do this you will see them turn on briefly till the capacitors are emptied. By doing this a true "cold" start is achieved as no "hot stored" exe files are saved.

I turn the mains power off for two reasons. Any electronic device has a finite use by time. The longer the power box is left on, the quicker it runs it's life expectancy. My son and I had identical modems bought at same time. He left his on 24/7. I turned mine off at the mains power supply every time I finished running my PC. His modem carked it just over a year ago. Mines is still running fine.

The 2nd reason I turn off mains power is because I once lost an entire PC during an electrical storm with heavy lightning, because I had only turned it off electronically with the shut down button, but current from the mains was still flowing into the power box. The lightning strike blew the regulatory devices in the power box which keeps the input voltage to the PC components down to a very low input. And the high voltage which was then allowed into the mobo etc, fried the components. This was despite an RCD, (residual current device protector), in my meter box ... and a surge protection on the distribution panel.

These are comparative boot times for W8 on flagship and Win7 on backup machine.

Win8 on flagship
Win7 on backup
Time to BIOS data
21 secs
16 secs
Time to Desktop
32 secs
33 secs
This makes sense as flagship has more complex mobo and more devices. So boot time from BIOS data to desktop is 11 secs for W8 on flagship, versus 19 secs for Win7 on backup.

Cheers :thumb: :D ps love your Rodney "Rude" Dangerfield logo.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Hi Mustang,

Looking at your updated event logs, I would say you need to address the following:

Event IDs 27, 1014 and 8033. The last two are DNS and/or browser-related issues/conflicts and you did start off complaining about your browser; yes? Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks norepli. I'm not quite sure what to do with that information to find a solution? Any suggestions? Or may be best to post on a tech foroum such as Tech Spot with maybe HiJackThis log.

Wow! Is this some kind of secret code to winning my board game? I'm gonna try it right now! Honey, wake up... let's play Rodney just one more time (heh, heh)!
By the way, really enjoyed the above Rodney Dangerfield stuff. Got a good laugh out of me! Cheers M
:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Thanks norepli. I'm not quite sure what to do with that information to find a solution? Any suggestions? Or may be best to post on a tech foroum such as Tech Spot with maybe HiJackThis log.

You could start off by expanding each log and posting those details in the Performance and Maintenance area. Now, I would post the Event ID 27 separately and then you could try posting the 1014 and 8033 together because they seem to be related. Then, if you don't make any progress or get any meaningful responses, I would look to post elsewhere. I'll be watching for your posts because I'm curious to see the correlation (if any) between the 1014 and 8033. BTW, it might be to your advantage to post your configuration as well (ie, home network, individual desktop, router,etc). I'd go for the 1014 and 8033 combo first and then post the 27 later. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks norepli. Will do but bit pushed for time right now. Have to come back to it later.

Cheers M :D :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Hi norepli,

FYI, I've posted those events in performance and maintenance ... not the ones shown but my last boot-up after clearing event viewer.

This is a link HERE.

I don't think any of them are serious but seem to relate to my 2nd LAN adaptor socket which was enabled but had no modem attached. I disabled this adaptor in Network settings and the error message did not occur again, but the warnings did.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Back