Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?

It's annoying to have to download a third party software. I will prefer it's built in Windows so it can be update at the same time I update Windows.

It's NOT going to happen. Get over it. No matter how much you complain. No matter how much you rant. No matter how much the tiny 5% of the market that will be PC users over the coming years scream, it won't happen.

The PC market is dying, stagnant cesspool. It will never go away, but mobile and other touch aware devices are going to account for > 80% of the market in the coming years.

business's around the world say hi....considering they amount to what percentage of pc users? 60%+?

yup i can totally see myself ditching my gaming machine for a tablet pc that can't play my games.

yup i can totally see myself doing intense 3d design on a tablet pc and rendering it afterwards........oh hell no i built this to make it faster not slower.

tablets are nice but frankly they are far from functional in a real world environment, sure you get pretty little apps that can play angry birds but they don't have dedicated graphics cards for high res rendering, they don't have suitable keyboards for touch typists or people that type quickly, there is a reason mechanical keyboards are still highly regarded.

or the tiny screens you squint at on tablets, fine for simple tasks but not good enough or large enough for most real world tasks.

I challange you to run a magazine company and make everyone work on a tablet, hell i dare you to suggest it to someone that does any kind of work.

Tablets -> fun
pc's -> work

edit: I love touch it's great on a phone/tablet or any other small device.

I utterly despise touch on desktops, go ahead buy your touch screens for your desktops and sit really close to them, get eye strain and shoulder pains from raising your arms so much be my guest.

i'll avoid those symptoms thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    System Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
No, it's a program I stumbled upon yesterday looking for a Start Menu program that duplicated the orig Win 7 one the best. Most of them are a little hokie. This one is EXACT. It also is free to try an only 3 bucks to install on 2 machines. I found it here: Start Is Back - 1.2RC - MSFN Forum

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8G
It's annoying to have to download a third party software. I will prefer it's built in Windows so it can be update at the same time I update Windows.

It's NOT going to happen. Get over it. No matter how much you complain. No matter how much you rant. No matter how much the tiny 5% of the market that will be PC users over the coming years scream, it won't happen.

The PC market is dying, stagnant cesspool. It will never go away, but mobile and other touch aware devices are going to account for > 80% of the market in the coming years.

business's around the world say hi....considering they amount to what percentage of pc users? 60%+?

yup i can totally see myself ditching my gaming machine for a tablet pc that can't play my games.

yup i can totally see myself doing intense 3d design on a tablet pc and rendering it afterwards........oh hell no i built this to make it faster not slower.

tablets are nice but frankly they are far from functional in a real world environment, sure you get pretty little apps that can play angry birds but they don't have dedicated graphics cards for high res rendering, they don't have suitable keyboards for touch typists or people that type quickly, there is a reason mechanical keyboards are still highly regarded.

or the tiny screens you squint at on tablets, fine for simple tasks but not good enough or large enough for most real world tasks.

I challange you to run a magazine company and make everyone work on a tablet, hell i dare you to suggest it to someone that does any kind of work.

Tablets -> fun
pc's -> work

edit: I love touch it's great on a phone/tablet or any other small device.

I utterly despise touch on desktops, go ahead buy your touch screens for your desktops and sit really close to them, get eye strain and shoulder pains from raising your arms so much be my guest.

i'll avoid those symptoms thanks.

Not to defend or rant on Windows 8, but you CAN use the mouse on a desktop (and START Screen Menu) easily...... just as before. So that point is moot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and Windows 8
    HP G7-1328dx
To further clarify, I searched this forum for any mention of this program and could not find any. I actually joined here because I installed Win 8 recently and wanted a forum for tips and tricks. I have been a member of sevenforums for quite some time. I wanted to make you guys/gals aware of this program to check it out and compare it to the other menu emulators. I'm betting you will come to the same conclusion as I have.

Edit: I found mention of StartIsBack over in the "Customization" section. My apology for not doing a more thorough search.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8G

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Yes, I actually found that page in my search yesterday but the thing that drove me to StartIsBack is that it is an exact copy of the W7 S/Menu and these others look like cheap copies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8G
Want the real deal migrated from Win7 instllation disc ...And Metro out of sight! But still accessible if you want it!

Yeeeee Haaaaa! AND TOTALLY FREE!!!

Go to --> Ex7ForW8 at MDL :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
That would be the same developer who developed StartIsBack!

Pretty neat.:)

Unfortunately another one we need to buy :think:, but looks authentic (to Win7).:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
That would be the same developer who developed StartIsBack!
No it's not. Ex7ForW8 was developed by My Digital Life. It is the original Windows 7 Orb Start Menu with full functionality, because it's migrated from the Windows 7 Instalation disc when loading the program. And it's totally free.

When you run the progam it asks you to run the Win7 installation disk in your DVD drive. It then imports Explorer 7 and the original Orb Start Menu.

After it's set up you can run it in one of two modes, but not both simulaneously.

In Explorer 7 mode it boots your PC straight to desktop with Explorer 7 running and Orb Start Menu, and no Metro seen or availabe.

In the start menu jump list it has an icon which you click to turn off Explorer 7 and take you back to Explorer 8 and Metro. And a similar switch in the metro screen to return you to the Exporer 7 mode.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Mustang, isn't Tihiy the brainchild/developer of StartIsBack and Ex7forW8?. Am I missing something here - set me straight.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8G
At this point I doubt they can add the start menu back in this original form because the windows key(I think that's the name) opens up the start screen. They could implement the use of it back though but it would probably need to be renamed. The only real reason for me to use it is I need a menu that is visual that can be accessed by clicking and not hovering. Also it just allows certain things to have easier access. I don't even need the directory for programs but even a folder that quickly accessible for programs on the desktop would be nice.

If you want to get a Start Menu back for Windows 8 Desktop, install the Nexus Desktop. Check this out:
Winstep Nexus Dock and Nexus Ultimate - The Advanced Docking System for Windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro x64
    CPU
    Q9300
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte P43 Es3g
    Memory
    8 GB of ddr 2
    Graphics Card(s)
    sapphire hd 6850
    Sound Card
    sound blaster titanium x-fi pci-e
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22 inches
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 2 TB st20001dm001
    Samsung 2 tb sata 2
    Hitachi 500 gb sata
    PSU
    fatality 550 w
    Case
    spike
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    wired A4
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 8 MB / 1 MB
If one goes to their desktop view and unloads every icon onto it, then you have a 'start screen'. I don't want to see that! I have (or HAD) everything neatly arranged in folders so that the desktop is nice and tidy. When you want something, you just look under a heading (folder) until you find what you want. This is much like a library. Win8 seems to have tipped all the books off the shelves in the library and said 'well, it's in there somewhere...' If we could customise our desktop and each subsequent window to LOOK like the new start screen, then we MAY have taken it on board and streamlined our systems in that way. Microsoft could have taken the information from our computers as to how we liked it (using the update and report facilities - I thought they already did...) and responded accordingly. I don't want a 21" phone-screen in my office.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I don't want a 21" phone-screen in my office.
Exactly my sentiments.

In a nutshell W8 is a Tablet/Smartfone GUI, which M$ are asking us to use for desktop work. :(

Ain't gonna happen, no which way.:redcarded:

Will M$ restore the Start Menu? They will if they value their desktop clientelle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I don't want a 21" phone-screen in my office.
Exactly my sentiments.

In a nutshell W8 is a Tablet/Smartfone GUI, which M$ are asking us to use for desktop work. :(

Ain't gonna happen, no which way.:redcarded:

Will M$ restore the Start Menu? They will if they value their desktop clientelle.

I think that M$ will learn the value of word of mouth it look like it will take more than 2b to counter word of mouth.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I don't want a 21 inch Desktop UI on a four inch phone, yet this is android and ios...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back