Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?

B

And I am still using W8 Release ....

So now I have the best of both 7 and 8. Fast as 8, nice, easy and logical as 7.

Ya but your "best" will come to an end soon with the Preview

I hope that by then, Aero Glass will be around in some sort of patch, hack or program.

In any case, I will problably move on sooner or later. But Aero Glass in Windows 7 made of Windows a beautiful swan when Windows was an ugly ducklin since it was born. I don't know why they have removed something so successful and accepted, not leaving it as an option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Hi there
can someone please explain the Developers logic of designing something like Live Tiles and then give the user no way of viewing these on a desktop -- for example if I'm working on a spread sheet or a presentation document it would be quite nice to have the Stocks tile updating on the desktop. - It's totally USELESS updating this stuff in the background.

I can't believe these developers didn't get a chance to speak with some USERS before this stuff was let out of the door. Most development usually involves "The business" and the developers -- as far as Windows is concerned we the normal users are "The business" in this case.

I'm currently only testing W8 because I have a TechNet W8 enterprise -- the only really useful feature I've found is "Windows to Go" where you can add some applications and it's a good recovery tool since you can add backup / restore programs, partition managers, etc and booting via a USB3 port makes it perfectly acceptably fast anyway -- and if you are doing a recovery this really isn't an issue in any case.

There used to be a decent "Quasi legal" windows system which did this type of stuff known as Hiren's CD - I think this piece of software is now not legal any more due to proprietary products being included in it -- but the Windows to go is 100% LEGAL and works fine.

For my normal work I'm sticking with W7 -- if you tune it up a bit and switch off things like Hibernation W7 can run just as good as W8.

Cheers
jimbo

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
can someone please explain the Developers logic of designing something like Live Tiles and then give the user no way of viewing these on a desktop -- for example if I'm working on a spread sheet or a presentation document it would be quite nice to have the Stocks tile updating on the desktop. - It's totally USELESS updating this stuff in the background.

I can't believe these developers didn't get a chance to speak with some USERS before this stuff was let out of the door. Most development usually involves "The business" and the developers -- as far as Windows is concerned we the normal users are "The business" in this case.

I'm currently only testing W8 because I have a TechNet W8 enterprise -- the only really useful feature I've found is "Windows to Go" where you can add some applications and it's a good recovery tool since you can add backup / restore programs, partition managers, etc and booting via a USB3 port makes it perfectly acceptably fast anyway -- and if you are doing a recovery this really isn't an issue in any case.

There used to be a decent "Quasi legal" windows system which did this type of stuff known as Hiren's CD - I think this piece of software is now not legal any more due to proprietary products being included in it -- but the Windows to go is 100% LEGAL and works fine.

For my normal work I'm sticking with W7 -- if you tune it up a bit and switch off things like Hibernation W7 can run just as good as W8.

Cheers
jimbo

Cheers
jimbo
Snap the Finance app next to your spreadsheet. Or, unless if you ABSOLUTELY need to be seeing updated info every second of the day, just hit the Start key from time to time and see if there are new updates. Then hit Start back to the Desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
COKE why you refuse the reality, Metro Start Page , should run on a floating window and re sizable. They fire Sinofsky because it was a bad idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
COKE why you refuse the reality, Metro Start Page , should run on a floating window and re sizable. They fire Sinofsky because it was a bad idea.

Sounds logic.

I use Win8, works great but sorry if I'm offending with this:
METRO forces the removal of Desktop. Otherwise all tiles should run seamlessly on the two.

That's what you can see yourself by using Win8 and then reading Jimbo's first lines of post:
That's the way it goes.

You can look it the other way around if you like : Desktop forces the removal of METRO.
The switch between the two is a canyon: it's easier to stay on one side or the other, why jump in between?
Honestly I do all my work on the Desktop. I consider the tiles as art, decorating screen real-estate. I like them this way, and they can stay there in my opinion. The start screen is full of desktop apps anyway.

Why is the OS called Windows? because you can use resizable (+ minimize, maximize) windows on the screen. Or at least that was the thing initially.
With Metro, we seem to be running on OS called Walls. And it seems that fortress walls are not close to what the windows were.:(
We'll just have to use what we like best.:)

If the switch between Desktop and Metro becomes smaller, Then we can keep Metro and I'll be in favor of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
With Metro, we seem to be running on OS called Walls.

lol, this make my day

:)
Think about it:
If we're allowed to place some windows on those walls, then the place will be filled (with light) and everybody will be happy.

Backwards compatibility, at least optional because too much people complain.
That's all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
NO worry "help is on the way" as Bush said..... Balmer is already working on the presentation of the Surface replacement

The Balnux

HP-Slate-Steve-Balmer-thumb-550xauto-34165.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Voice command may reach maturity very soon also.

That will make life in a cubicle farm really interesting with everyone yelling at their computer. Even if everyone is wearing a headset, the murmur will be as obnoxious as in customer service call center.

Come on now....A bit of exaggeration here, wouldn't you say?!

1st -> Cubicle farm? I'm in my office or study with the door closed if need be. Lol! I can understand -> "What's that?" -> "Oh, that's just grandpa talking to his computer". :) We don't wonder at people walking around with smart phone Bluetooth headsets, do we? Not real commonplace, but a reality today. It'll be the same with speaking navigation. Mark my words. Besides, this greatly aids the less-fortunate handicapped.

2nd -> Yell? No one needs to yell, just speak at a regular volume. Who needs to yell?

3rd -> Call center? Do you hang around in call centers? I don't know anyone that does that as a regular pastime. :p Not only in an office or study, but if one is in a restaurant, coffee shop, bar, etc. people are "mumuring" already, so what's the difference if one is speaking to a device for navigation?

I was old enough to see the debut of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968 as a teenager. No one thought it odd that Dave was talking to HAL. We thought it possible. This is before PC was even an acronym. We didn't think it possible that a machine could take control some day. Or is it? :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I think anything to be possible when we humans put our minds to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
They might had fired Sinofsky for many reasons, not because of that. Mind you, he didn't want to make Windows 7 more touch friendly to begin with.

I don't know, how I'm seeing it, it's more or less like a folder you open that shows the apps, but apps that have live tiles to them. It's almost like taking gadgets on putting them in a window. Then how does one open, for example, Weather? There is more info to it other than the current temperature, there is a detailed 10 day forecast, hourly forecast, and detailed weather maps. That would need to take a good window for that to render neatly. For some apps, like People, it almost seems like it's more tedious and almost superfluous than anything as you can just open up a browser window and go to facebook, or open Outlook. Actually, it sounds like running an emulator.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Sounds logic.

I use Win8, works great but sorry if I'm offending with this:
METRO forces the removal of Desktop. Otherwise all tiles should run seamlessly on the two.

That's what you can see yourself by using Win8 and then reading Jimbo's first lines of post:
That's the way it goes.

You can look it the other way around if you like : Desktop forces the removal of METRO.
The switch between the two is a canyon: it's easier to stay on one side or the other, why jump in between?
Honestly I do all my work on the Desktop. I consider the tiles as art, decorating screen real-estate. I like them this way, and they can stay there in my opinion. The start screen is full of desktop apps anyway.

Why is the OS called Windows? because you can use resizable (+ minimize, maximize) windows on the screen. Or at least that was the thing initially.
With Metro, we seem to be running on OS called Walls. And it seems that fortress walls are not close to what the windows were.:(
We'll just have to use what we like best.:)

If the switch between Desktop and Metro becomes smaller, Then we can keep Metro and I'll be in favor of it.

Actually, Windows can still be called Windows, more or less how Windows 1 was called Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
NO worry "help is on the way" as Bush said..... Balmer is already working on the presentation of the Surface replacement

The Balnux

View attachment 11625

Who comes up with this stuff, it's hilarious.
:roflmao:

Go ahead and poke fun. I find it funny in a way. :)

Has anyone noticed that MS is loosing their butts to a "TOUCH-NAVIGATION" market? No? Let me clue you in -> iMe Fruit Company and others are winning. They are raking in $millions$ because consumers are buying. Wouldn't one think it's time to change the business plan?

I believe MS designed 8 (and the Surfaces) with much more creativity than the Fruit Company and others could ever muster up. I understand the "wall" whole heartedly and with much thought. Sincerely! I think it to be genius to aim for TOUCH NAVIGATION while keeping the desktop. They couldn't possibly combine the Start Screen with the desktop. Please use common sense here. Two different UIs. There's got to be a "wall" to divide the two. Can we at least see it as a compromise to appease everyone? Can one continue to run win32 legacy programs in "Windows" on their desktops? Certainly. Is switching to a Start Screen rather than a Start Menu distracting? Perhaps, but so is every change that comes along in our lives, but with a little discipline we adapt. Do we become less "productive" because of it? I don't see it with what I do business-wise, but then again, I don't sit in front of a computer all day, so it's really not for me to say.

I can see the hierarchical problem of the Start Screen versus the Start Menu. I think MS needs to address this in a big way. If one wants to complain to MS about anything, it's this.

I can understand that we would want information at all times in our face. It's the way it's been, but again, with a little discipline all we have to do is hit the WinKey once to look and once again to return to what we were doing. Is this so difficult? Does this put a big strain on our minds and bodies? Is it that much less productive? Have we become that spoiled? Hopefully we haven't. :)

Alice Cooper wrote a song "No More Mister Nice Guy". Well, no more nice Mr. MS. Times are tough and the market has changed. Expect TOUCH as main navigation. Expect leaner OSs with far less personalization. Expect that our desktop PCs are no longer the most sought after devices. Expect to pay for programs included with past OSs -> MS can't afford it anymore. As more and more software is written in the Modern interface, expect to buy it through the MS Store. First and foremost -> Expect more change to come. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Actually, Windows can still be called Windows, more or less how Windows 1 was called Windows.

Sounds fair to me. Just tried to compare a full screen (wall) vs multiple stacked windows. :D
So the name doesn't really matter as long as you can use the OS.
Keep adapting to the new changes and you'll be alright.:)

Alice Cooper wrote a song "No More Mister Nice Guy". Well, no more nice Mr. MS. Times are tough and the market has changed. Expect TOUCH as main navigation. Expect leaner OSs with far less personalization. Expect that our desktop PCs are no longer the most sought after devices. Expect to pay for programs included with past OSs -> MS can't afford it anymore. As more and more software is written in the Modern interface, expect to buy it through the MS Store. First and foremost -> Expect more change to come. :)

In that case: Windows guys should respect their OS a bit more.
I'm OK with that.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Well, what I mean more or less about Windows 8 still being Windows doesn't really do much in part with the full screen apps. It's the Start Screen that is the new Windows, with live tiles. If you look at a screen full of live tiles, those would be your windows on the Desktop. The mail app cycles through new email and shows how many you have. The People app shows you social network notifications as well as having a full list of your contacts. The Calendar app shows you what you have on your agenda a day before and day of. Other news apps with live tiles will show new articles without having to open them. You can even have picture tiles in a little live tile or span many tiles. So on and so forth. If the live tiles were translated over to the Desktop, you'd have multiple windows open. You'd need a browser window or an email client to show new email, where you have to be hitting refresh in the browser to update it. You also need a new browser window or tab to show facebook notifications, as well as needing another window to show your contacts within your user account or using Outlook. The calendar would need to be another browser window or tab to see what's on the agenda for that day, or Outlook or another email client with a calendar. To see picture slideshows, you might want to have a window for that or find the Picture gadget and keep that pinned on top of everything. For news feeds, you'd need different windows or tabs, eventually those tabs end up being like the App Switch bar in Windows 8 where you might have to hover over the browser icon on the Taskbar to find that tab, or window. All of which you'd need to be hitting refresh from time to time in ALL of them. When all is said and done, you would have a Desktop FULL of windows open, where you need to be switching around and refreshing and snapping and saying, "Oh hells bells!" from time to time.

But with the Start Screen and live tiles, those multiple windows that are all over the place simple turn into little tiles that show all of that fairly neatly and without much interaction. Shoot, when you have all those tiles in place, the Start Screen starts to look like a window pane!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
How it sells will affect what changes (if any ) MS make.

If it sells well - they will think they can keep doing what is best for MS and the customers will put up with it.

If it sells badly, they will be thinking about making changes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Personally I have resisted any urge to install start8 (or any other start menu hacks). I was more than happy with windows 7 but bought 8 so I could play with and learn windows 8 not to hack it back into windows 7.

The start screen is the biggest... well most obvious (and I will admit, at first, most inconvenient) change but I have spent some time configuring it, have already gotten used to it and also find some of the features useful. If they do bring back the option of the start menu and boot to desktop there will be very little use for the start screen and it will have a negative affect on "store" sales, this is why I can't see them doing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self build
    CPU
    Intel core i7 3930k @ 4.17GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus p9x79 pro
    Memory
    4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP xmp quad channelled
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX660 ti, Signiture 2, FTW 2GB GDDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    32" Samsung tv, 21" Dell monitor both 1080 native
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 x2
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256gb sata3 ssd, 4x250gb sata2 hdd RAID_0, 3tb ZyXEL NSA-310 (nas).
    PSU
    Tagan tg-800-bz 800w modular
    Case
    Icute mesh with 280mm side fan
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 (2x120mm push and pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft comfort curve
    Mouse
    Anker 8000dpi 1000m/s precision gaming mouse
    Internet Speed
    10MB
    Other Info
    Logitech 5.1 with phantom channels. xbox 360 pad for windows.
Yes, that's right.

If there was a start menu - there would little use for the start screen. (For desktop users at least )

Then MS would lose out in selling their online services and soon to be introduced subscription charges.

Finally somebody is getting the picture.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, that's right.

If there was a start menu - there would little use for the start screen. (For desktop users at least )

Then MS would lose out in selling their online services and soon to be introduced subscription charges.

Finally somebody is getting the picture.

I'm not using any apps, but the Start Screen does a good job so far.
You can type something anywhere and launch the search. Works similar as start menu.

But if the start menu returns: us desktop users will be happy.
What I really like, even with a start screen, is built in ability to go directly to desktop on startup.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard