Why would I want Windows 8

Vertex? You can easily shut down with pressing the power button on your computer/laptop/tablet. Win8 DP allows it already, and it does a clean power down too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Vertex? You can easily shut down with pressing the power button on your computer/laptop/tablet. Win8 DP allows it already, and it does a clean power down too.
I'm using a Desktop and I don't use tablets. And how about all the other people using Desktops too? A direct power button should be more logical. Don't you think a power button under the Settings menu is kinda weird? I have never seen anything like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
I'm using a Desktop and I don't use tablets. And how about all the other people using Desktops too? A direct power button should be more logical. Don't you think a power button under the Settings menu is kinda weird? I have never seen anything like that.

I keep trying to say this, but you guys do not want to hear it. There is no power button because Win8 is a mobile OS that simply runs the desktop as a task. Have you seen a mobile OS with a power button? No, there is not one. There is one on the device. Win8 imitates iOS and Android in all their basic features and, in Intel platforms, it runs Win7 as a virtualized task.

Thus, what you should be looking for in Win8 are the basics of mobile systems. From what I have seen so far, it seems to want to imitate Android very closely. In fact, if you built Android to run Win7 as a virtual task under it, you would get a very similar system (with a better GUI). Android has this unified storage system (you can switch where things are stored easily enough), it has a system reset (like all mobile OSes) etc, etc. Why don't you simply run Android on your mobile systems instead of Win8? This is the basic question that tablet and smartphone users will have to answer, too!!!

If you had a better exposure in mobile OSes, then you would seen that all the current announcements by MS fit this view perfectly (including MS's own announcement about the "desktop" being just a task.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Well, they better put a much easier shutdown button that you can access directly. The way they had the power button under the Settings menu is a design fail!

I agree with that. It's so built into me that I either click on the Start button or the Start key and click on a shutdown button right after. They need to change that, and I bet it probably wouldn't be difficult to do either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I keep trying to say this, but you guys do not want to hear it. There is no power button because Win8 is a mobile OS that simply runs the desktop as a task. Have you seen a mobile OS with a power button? No, there is not one. There is one on the device. Win8 imitates iOS and Android in all their basic features and, in Intel platforms, it runs Win7 as a virtualized task.

Thus, what you should be looking for in Win8 are the basics of mobile systems. From what I have seen so far, it seems to want to imitate Android very closely. In fact, if you built Android to run Win7 as a virtual task under it, you would get a very similar system (with a better GUI). Android has this unified storage system (you can switch where things are stored easily enough), it has a system reset (like all mobile OSes) etc, etc. Why don't you simply run Android on your mobile systems instead of Win8? This is the basic question that tablet and smartphone users will have to answer, too!!!

If you had a better exposure in mobile OSes, then you would seen that all the current announcements by MS fit this view perfectly (including MS's own announcement about the "desktop" being just a task.
There is a power button. If you use it more than a few days.....

See, why are we asking why are we getting features of a mobile OS in a desktop OS? I ask why should mobile OS be instantly on while doing other things when it's not being used? Why can it be easily reset and not need anymore work to do such? The thing I'm liking about Windows 8 is it's bringing the good features of a mobile OS to every platform available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
See, why are we asking why are we getting features of a mobile OS in a desktop OS? I ask why should mobile OS be instantly on while doing other things when it's not being used? Why can it be easily reset and not need anymore work to do such? The thing I'm liking about Windows 8 is it's bringing the good features of a mobile OS to every platform available.

I am not objecting to good features of mobile OSes being brought into Windows. This, overall, would be a healthy thing. But you are not getting this. Windows is finished; Finis, the End!!! What you are getting is a new OS (that closely resembles Android) that runs what you knew as Windows as a task.

This is why it cannot reset the desktop. The only think that it can reset are the mobile OS components. Sorry, but I have to chuckle here because this capability was in a MS system that is now 5 years old!!! The capability of "instant on" and the "resetting the OS" were in WinMo 6!!!! Hello??? This is not news. Every dingy Android and iOS device can do it. What you want is to reset the "desktop" part and it is not doing this. Why? Because the desktop is DEAD.

The whole idea with Win8 is that users would eventually kill the desktop because it is and would be a nuisance. Microsoft is not even going to sell desktop applications. Only Metro apps. Here is your future. Embrace it!!!

My guess is that users will eventually kill Microsoft, not the desktop. But it remains to be seen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7

I am not objecting to good features of mobile OSes being brought into Windows. This, overall, would be a healthy thing. But you are not getting this. Windows is finished; Finis, the End!!! What you are getting is a new OS (that closely resembles Android) that runs what you knew as Windows as a task.

This is why it cannot reset the desktop. The only think that it can reset are the mobile OS components. Sorry, but I have to chuckle here because this capability was in a MS system that is now 5 years old!!! The capability of "instant on" and the "resetting the OS" were in WinMo 6!!!! Hello??? This is not news. Every dingy Android and iOS device can do it. What you want is to reset the "desktop" part and it is not doing this. Why? Because the desktop is DEAD.

The whole idea with Win8 is that users would eventually kill the desktop because it is and would be a nuisance. Microsoft is not even going to sell desktop applications. Only Metro apps. Here is your future. Embrace it!!!

My guess is that users will eventually kill Microsoft, not the desktop. But it remains to be seen.

You are deeply misinformed. Refresh and reset keep metro apps for refresh and reset reinstalls Windows. Both scratches out changes to the Desktop, which is a MAJOR plus for the Desktop.
Refresh and reset your PC - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Read it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You are deeply misinformed. Refresh and reset keep metro apps for refresh and reset reinstalls Windows. Both scratches out changes to the Desktop, which is a MAJOR plus for the Desktop.
Refresh and reset your PC - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Read it.

I am sorry to say that you are misinformed. Yes, upon the reset, the Desktop would be there but all your installed desktop applications would have disappeared and you would need to reinstall them. This would not happen with the Metro-style apps which would still be there after you reset the system.

Thus, there is nothing here for desktop users. Just resetting the system and losing all the applications and your registry settings was a capability in Win7 (there were a couple of methodologies in doing so).

In Win8, MS is simply duplicating capabilities that exist in other mobile OSes. Nothing revolutionary, nothing noteworthy. It adds only very minimal advances for desktop users, so few as to be really irrelevant. I do not believe that you are a Microsoft fanboy, so there is no need to tout as a breakthrough something that mobile OSes were doing for years (including WinMo). I find that the MS PR machine is pushing full bore ahead for Metro. Do not fall in the trap.

Do you depend on Metro apps? What do you want to do with Win8?
If you are like me and want to run your nice Windows applications, there is really nothing much in Win8 for you (the minor improvements do not justify the upgrade, not so far anyway). If you want to see the weather in a Metro full-screen app, then go buy Win8. This is about all the capability that it would add.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
John, can you please stop those guys. They are polluting my thread. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
As I had already mentioned before, the pros and cons of Win8 are fair game. But for an Android comparison I suggest to start a new thread. That is certtainly an interesting subject, but here it distracts from the essential points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
As I had already mentioned before, the pros and cons of Win8 are fair game. But for an Android comparison I suggest to start a new thread. That is certtainly an interesting subject, but here it distracts from the essential points.

Was a interesting subject:sarc:......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer 32 bit
    junk system
    CPU
    3200+ 2.2 gig Amd
    Memory
    1 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    8500 GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Garbage from behind local computer store
    Hard Drives
    40 gig
    Case
    No front bezel, no sides,hard drive dangling by it's cables
    Cooling
    Heat rises....See case
    Keyboard
    Old HP
    Mouse
    Pink, made in China, Ebay special
    Internet Speed
    DSL

I did not make any comparisons with Android. I only noted that for those who claim any kind of novelty, that features touted are present in most mobile OSs including Android.

My position is what Microsoft has revealed. Win8 is a mobile OS (Metro) that runs the Win7 desktop as a virtual task. Thus, one can take this Metro mobile OS and place it in ARM tablets (sans desktop) and it works. Now, the question that you need to ask yourself is if you want to have a mobile OS, running full-screen apps with peculiar multitasking, to run the Win7 desktop as a virtual task. Wasn't this the core of your question?

So, my question back is why would you not want an industrial strength desktop OS that can run the Win7 desktop as a virtual task? Why would you prefer Win8 instead of running Win7 as a task under a Linux Distro? Or under OSX? Wouldn't OSX be better than Win8 if all you want to do is run Windows applications? Or are you so invested in Metro apps that you need to have Win8?

I think that this is a fair question and very pertinent to your original question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
wake me when they finish
Sleeping-at-desk-3.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 /windows 8 Dev
Back