Solved What is happening to my image files

Just curious about your Macrium experience.

Did you format your usb or ssd as fat 32 or ntfs ?
The part about the ssd may be stupid on my part.

Fat 32 only allows 4GB files.
NTFS allows any size file.

Did you choose All local drives to image ?
Picture:

screenshot_38.jpg

All you had to do was have your ssd attached & to have chosen it as the destination for the image to be saved on.
Or a usb drive.
I can save my image on a 32 GB usb due to it getting compressed by Macrium.

Sorry in advance if this post is useless. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
because your SSD would have to be the same size (or larger) than you current hard drive for the image restoral process to work
That is not so. The SSD has to be only large enough to contain the data from the partitions that are being imaged - usually C and the system partition. There are some OEMs though (e.g. Dell), that put the bootngr on the recovery partition. In that case the recovery partition data has to also fit on the SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
because your SSD would have to be the same size (or larger) than you current hard drive for the image restoral process to work
That is not so. The SSD has to be only large enough to contain the data from the partitions that are being imaged - usually C and the system partition. There are some OEMs though (e.g. Dell), that put the bootngr on the recovery partition. In that case the recovery partition data has to also fit on the SSD.

Sorry whs but you are incorrect in your assumption. The OP said he imaged the disk and my response was based on same. Now, you can try and juggle the facts a bit if you wish but I believe you are only confusing the OP in doing so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
@whs: Also, if you look at the disk management view you requested, you can see that his C partition is a whopping 456GBs so what's your point with regard to the OPs condition? Personally, I don't think the OP needs a full tutorial on disk imaging at this point. I think he needs a solution and discrediting my analysis (with regard to his situation) does nothing to help him IMHO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
@whs: Also, if you look at the disk management view you requested, you can see that his C partition is a whopping 456GBs so what's your point with regard to the OPs condition? Personally, I don't think the OP needs a full tutorial on disk imaging at this point. I think he needs a solution and discrediting my analysis (with regard to his situation) does nothing to help him IMHO.

I don't discredit your analysis - you are just plain wrong in saying:

The size of the partition or hard drive has no bearing on the image. Only the size of the data it contains. E.g. when you image a 500GB partition with 100GB of data, the image will be compressed to appr. 65GBs. That image you can restore to any SSD which is larger than 100GB. Try it, e.g. with free Macrium. I have done that many times.

Likewise, the Paragon Migration Tool will migrate any partition(s) to a SSD where the amount of data is not larger than the size of the SSD. The size of the originating partition(s) is irrelevant. I have done that also many times.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
@ sparhawk

Were you able to choose the destination of the image?
If the default destination was your 'Backup (F), obviously it won't fit!

View attachment 40055

And...
once again, don't image all your personal files and data, just your clean OS and settings and programs.
The System Reserved should 'tag along' automatically:

View attachment 40056

and merge automatically:

View attachment 40057

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
I think the resulting image was 84 gb. I am away from the laptop for the night. More on this tomorrow. I need to download the latest version of macrium and see how it does. Each of you have been a tremendous help. I tend to jump right in. The ssd is ntfs it came out of my desktop and was running win 8 pro.
I will probably have to install the ssd and use recover cd by easeus or a usb. Laptop will boot from usbs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Yes, Edwin I was able to choose which drive to backup to, I used the Windows command line command on one of my win8 Pro desktops to backup the system drive and it finished.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Did you use Wbadmin from cmd ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
You know that you cannot restore that image except in the server edition. The only way I know is if you reinmage the mounted VHD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Guess I will try the imaging on the file history page that Edwin posted about.

Keep us posted.
Just make sure you do some intense 'housecleaning' and Disk Cleanup beforehand. No sense in bringing junk over to the new SSD.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Good News!! Ran Easeus Todo Backup and made a Disk and Partition Backup copy. Then installed ssd and booted easeus recovery cd. Copied to ssd. Easeus had a check box to optimize for ssd.

Took over an hour to copy. Shut down and changed boot order and win said repairing then diagnosing and then booted to my usual screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Good News!! Ran Easeus Todo Backup and made a Disk and Partition Backup copy. Then installed ssd and booted easeus recovery cd. Copied to ssd. Easeus had a check box to optimize for ssd.

Took over an hour to copy. Shut down and changed boot order and win said repairing then diagnosing and then booted to my usual screen.

:thumb: Good to hear! :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
That sounds good. But the time it took and Windows having to repair something is not normal. I never had that happen with Macrium or the Paragon tool with which I made more than a dozen OS transfers to SSDs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back