Did you try creating an image from here?:

View attachment 40022

Here Is What I get:

Backup Failed.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Is your backup HDD well used? It may need to be wiped.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home

Good point. I think my problems are the crazy recovery partition and the other smaller partitions. I am afraid to delete them thinking the boot record is on the smaller partition. Look at my paragon image I posted and tell if I can make one entire c drive without loosing my files and still be bootable. I never intend to use the recovery partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Good point. I think my problems are the crazy recovery partition and the other smaller partitions. I am afraid to delete them thinking the boot record is on the smaller partition. Look at my paragon image I posted and tell if I can make one entire c drive without loosing my files and still be bootable. I never intend to use the recovery partition.

I can't make heads or tails out of the Paragon image. Post an image of Windows Disk Management maximized with all info showing.
(I'll be back later.) :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
I think we'll need a snip of your disk management to see what the problem is. It appears that you have some system files on other partitions - other than the OS partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
There is a possibility that your bootmgr is sitting in the F partition. For a test, disconnect Disk 2 and see whether the system boots.

From the error you get it looks very much like it wants to image Disk 2 along with the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The System Imaging function in Win 8.1 is broken and MS has no intention of fixing it. The error message you are receiving is a result of the system reserved partition not having enough room for the shadow volume copy process. Also, since your other two attempts to create a system image resulted in a blank backup folder tells me you might be looking in the wrong place. In any event, I think someone has already given you a migration option earlier in this thread and I would suggest you explore that possibility at this point. Good luck with your decision on how to proceed from here.

my2cents

EDIT:
If you eliminate the system reserved partition from you imaging attempt, the Win 8.1 system imaging function will work as designed. FYI, the Win 8.1 system imaging does work for those with a Legacy installation because their system reserved partition is set to a larger size by default.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
F: is part of my external drive and could not have the boot manager I don't think. I may go ahead and spend twenty bucks on the paragon migrate app.

Can I delete the recovery partition then create space and then merge with C: partition. Does matter though, just thought imaging might go better if there was just one partition.

Don't know why I have two partitions on disk 2 as it is used solely for backups. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread.

I spent a day changing a fan in this laptop before I got it going again. Funny how just puting a ribbon cablle under the holding catch instead of over kept the laptop from powering up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hmm, if F is an external, then my theory is no good. It is strange though that you could not even make an image with Macrium. That is usually straight forward and very uncomplicated. Are you sure you have the latest version of Macrium,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Just noticed that your E removable drive is formatted as FAT32. You also have a FAT32 partition named backup which doesn't sound right for a drive that is intended to store backup images primarily. Can you explain a bit more about your E, F, and G drive configuration and also tell us where you directed Macrium to save the system image backup to?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Ok E: is only an sd card that I am using as readyboost. F: is part of my backup drive along with G, Disk 2. I have no idea how F: was made or why it is Fat32.

Easeus todo backup ran sucessfully a disk and partition backup. I am running a system backup now...is this what I want to copy to the ssd?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hmm, if F is an external, then my theory is no good. It is strange though that you could not even make an image with Macrium. That is usually straight forward and very uncomplicated. Are you sure you have the latest version of Macrium,
I'll check on macrium and see what version I have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Easeus todo backup ran sucessfully a disk and partition backup. I am running a system backup now...is this what I want to copy to the ssd?

I'm not sure what you are actually backing up (eg, what partitions you have included) so I can't say for sure at this point. Also, I'm a bit concerned about your intent to image a mechanical hard drive and then restore it to an SSD because there are alignment issues that may (or may not) be properly addressed; however, I am not positive about that aspect because I've never attempted an HD image restoral to an SSD so I can't say for sure about that either. OK, glad you got EASUS to work and good luck with whatever decision you make from here on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
My2Cents with what you say perhaps it would be to my best interest to get the paragon software suggested earlier. However it will work or it won't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I'll check on macrium and see what version I have.

Latest Macrium version:

screenshot_38.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
My2Cents with what you say perhaps it would be to my best interest to get the paragon software suggested earlier. However it will work or it won't.

That may be the best solution IMHO because your SSD would have to be the same size (or larger) than you current hard drive for the image restoral process to work. BTW, what is the make/model SSD you are trying to install? The reason I'm asking is because many of the SSD manufacturers also make the migration software available for free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
OCZ technology Agility 3 120 gb. I have one in my desktop just like this one. I used some software I got form giveawayof the day that was for migrating to ssd. I think the license has expired. For twenty dollars I would be worry free, And I had some program that was called fresh ssd.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
OCZ technology Agility 3 120 gb. I have one in my desktop just like this one. I used some software I got form giveawayof the day that was for migrating to ssd. I think the license has expired. For twenty dollars I would be worry free, And I had some program that was called fresh ssd.

I don't think the SSD warranty would have anything to do with the ability to use the manufacturer's migration software (if offered). Also, I have no experience with the others you mentioned so I cannot comment any further to that end. You might want to direct your next question (e.g., "will it work?") to the forum member that recommended the pay migration software because I have no idea how it works or if it will shrink the partitions (if necessary) as part of the migration process. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz