What games can Windows 8 play?

Another thing I could reflect on here would be the noticable difference typically seen with each newer version of Windows to begin with. Many XP games simply won't go Vista whether they install and simply do not want to run or won't install even with the compatibily mode for XP and run as admin options used. Yet those same some written strictly for XP titles would go right on and run on the 32bit not 64bit 7 showing where one version fails to see results the next one to come along could!

Since 8 is just recently out of the RTM box like each previous version you will see the trial and error start all over again with some having problems with certain titles others wont. And this can be caused by a number of things other then which version of Windows you are running.

What would those be? System protections, video card softwares, how you are connected online, etc. as the list can expand. Antivirus and firewall programs are long time well known to cause problems. You end up needing to disable or shut those down before each gaming session.

For video card more so then with any separate sound cards not including integrated video or sound the ATI Catalyst as well as the NVidia Desktop/Profile manager have seen the need to be turned off at times with a number of titles over the years more so with ATI prior to being bought out by AMD as for the Catalyst side of things. Some sound cards with the mixer portion of their wares has been a problem in some cases as well. Generally the main software has to be turned off especially the OverDrive causing situations when cards are cranked up a bit.

As we all know integrated video and sound can be very limited and generally doesn't provide a great deal for a gaming rig to begin with. Sometimes the onboard audio is pooched especially with Realtek seemingly the most popular for seeing this type of problem. You can install drivers all day but if the SoundMax app is toast you won't get far. Then you have a software not driver bug to work out.

The most common problem seen so far with 8 that wasn't seen with 7 by the way is the "lack of" 8 drivers it seems. Nearly four months later drivers are still in wait. This was a headache for Vista as well due to extended delays with drivers taking upto a full year to appear by some manufacturers if at all.

With 7 on the hand MS pressured the OEMs to have driver support there ahead of time. Beta drivers that were found to be Vista/7 compatible were found at support sites in Dec. 2008 nearly two months before the beta was made public back then. Yet despite not seeing all the drivers for 8 out some have found that substituting certain 7 drivers like those for ATI cards actually has helped in prevently OpenGL type errors with some of the older titles. This is mainly due to what level of hard coding an older game would see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
What would those be? System protections, video card softwares, how you are connected online, etc. as the list can expand. Antivirus and firewall programs are long time well known to cause problems. You end up needing to disable or shut those down before each gaming session.

That's how it goes.

I would create a rule in the firewall/AV to allow the game rather than disabling the defenses.
That's why I like Windows Defender and Firewall: you can easily add rules, put folders on the non-scan list: like the VM folder, those are VHD's VMDK's that cannot be seen from the host or they will take too much time to scan them, and it will decrease performance during use. That can be the case for a game folder as well especially on HDD's but even on SSD's. Why not gain a bit of performance if it's possible?

The most common problem seen so far with 8 that wasn't seen with 7 by the way is the "lack of" 8 drivers it seems. Nearly four months later drivers are still in wait. This was a headache for Vista as well due to extended delays with drivers taking upto a full year to appear by some manufacturers if at all.
It looks like Vista all over again. It seems that it gets hard after a popular release because OEM's have to gain interest in the newer version first.
Luckily I have all needed drivers here, sometimes you have to search a bit more and mostly when there are none, use those from Vista/7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
nor does Max Payne 2
Wenda.

Max Payne-2 works without any issues under Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64. No compatibility-mode / settings needed. Game is patched to v1.01 and I also installed the 2 additional maps (* Upper East Side* Mona's Playground).

I can't double-check Deus Ex-2, as I only have Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770k @4800MHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB in 2-Way-SLI (1408MHz | Boost: 1544MHz | Memory-Clock: 8000MHz)
    Sound Card
    OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms | Dell S2409W 24" 5ms
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr
    - Samsung 840 EVO SATA3 500GB
    - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS
    Cooling
    EK H3O HFX 240mm Liquid Cooling Kit + 2x EK-480-Rads + GPU-Blocks + Gelid Extreme
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad
    Mouse
    Roccat Pure Military Dessert Strike | Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
    - Plantronics GameCom Commander Headset
    - Logitech X-210 Speakers
    - Roccat Taito Mid-Size 5mm
    - PC-Master-Race MousePad (yellow)

That's how it goes.

I would create a rule in the firewall/AV to allow the game rather than disabling the defenses.
That's why I like Windows Defender and Firewall: you can easily add rules, put folders on the non-scan list: like the VM folder, those are VHD's VMDK's that cannot be seen from the host or they will take too much time to scan them, and it will decrease performance during use. That can be the case for a game folder as well especially on HDD's but even on SSD's. Why not gain a bit of performance if it's possible?

It looks like Vista all over again. It seems that it gets hard after a popular release because OEM's have to gain interest in the newer version first.
Luckily I have all needed drivers here, sometimes you have to search a bit more and mostly when there are none, use those from Vista/7.

Here I never use the Windows Firewall but see that option included in the av software since the firewall also includes the additional protection of web filtering which actually blocks out many pages as soon as something is detected as not being right. Yet when going to run any game old or more recent you wouldn't even know the av program is active except for it notifying you that the scheduled weekly system scan has begun. Even in a Steam title the popup will find a way to leak through the full screen game map for those few seconds. The intrusion as far as stalling a game isn't there however as the program was well written to be non intrusive even when running a more demanding app like video capturing which can be sensitive to anything in the background at times.

As for drivers and unpdates the tv tuner/captrure card waited a full year to see any Vista updates released back in the 2007-08 time frame. Fortunately 7 only seldomly needed 7 drivers since Vista drivers can easily work as well on 7 there. That was a great help when 7 was first out as well as while in beta and RC form.

With 8 however there is a new compatibility issue at times while 7 drivers can still be used but where some will get caught in situation until the updates appear. 8 and 7 won't be seeing the same closeness compatibility wise that Vista and 7 shared by any means. This may also effect a list of game titles in some way as well. XP games often wouldn't go onto Vista or run on Vista while they could still be installed regardless of what you tried. 7 took the advantage with the 32bit Win 7 that is and was found it could run what Vista couldn't! MS is back to the every other version not so friendly and OEMs behind again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Games that I have tested to work with no noticeable issues:
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (+ Missing Link)
  • Doom 3 (both original and BFG edition
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Rage
  • Hydrophobia: Prophecy
  • Magicka
  • Payday: The Heist
  • Portal 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Metro 2033
  • Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
  • Bioshock
  • Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition

Not working at all for me

• Borderlands (Stack overflow crash)
  • Crysis (stack overflow crash)

Rumor has it that EA has a patch in the works that will fix the Crysis issue.

I loved hydrophobia very much its a unique game but its not popular :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ge force 9500gt
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
    Internet Speed
    60 KB/S
    Browser
    internet explore

That's how it goes.

At the time I didn't have too much worry using the note updated form of the MS Security Essentials named Windows Defender in 8 that replaced the old and useless WD found in Vista and 7! I didn't enable the firewall on the CP or RP builds and was waiting to see if I would be getting 8 retail and then installing a separate av with firewall/web filtering where no problems with any game have been seen.

As for looking like Vista all over again I can easily agree since MS put the squeeze on OEMs to have drivers ready for 7 after Vista but so far slumped for 8. :( It usually takes enough customer complaint to get them motivated of course.

Likewise some other 3rd party apps took over a year to finally come out with a Vista update for their products and why back then and up until the 7 RC was out I had keep a dual boot of XP with Vista running with the newer being the primary OS. At least with 7 you could still use a good number of Vista driver sets and some 7 drivers are still good to go on 8 while they are still lagging behind for the actual 8 updates that will be needed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info

That's how it goes.

At the time I didn't have too much worry using the note updated form of the MS Security Essentials named Windows Defender in 8 that replaced the old and useless WD found in Vista and 7! I didn't enable the firewall on the CP or RP builds and was waiting to see if I would be getting 8 retail and then installing a separate av with firewall/web filtering where no problems with any game have been seen.

As for looking like Vista all over again I can easily agree since MS put the squeeze on OEMs to have drivers ready for 7 after Vista but so far slumped for 8. :( It usually takes enough customer complaint to get them motivated of course.

Likewise some other 3rd party apps took over a year to finally come out with a Vista update for their products and why back then and up until the 7 RC was out I had keep a dual boot of XP with Vista running with the newer being the primary OS. At least with 7 you could still use a good number of Vista driver sets and some 7 drivers are still good to go on 8 while they are still lagging behind for the actual 8 updates that will be needed!
DONT FORGET that windows 8 is new not bad it needs time to grow :winkey: :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ge force 9500gt
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
    Internet Speed
    60 KB/S
    Browser
    internet explore

Well, part of its lack of popularity is how short it is. I beat it fresh in only 3 or 4 hours.

Also, for what it's worth, I guess I solved why Borderlands wasn't working, though I don't know how.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    MSI 970A-G46
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (mixed brands)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus R9-290 DirectCU II OC
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 23" LED backlit, eMachines 23" LCD flatscreen
    Screen Resolution
    3840x1080 @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    Patriot Pyro 60 GB SSD (boot)

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
    (Configured into a RAID 0 array)
    PSU
    Antec High Current Gamer 620 W
    Case
    Cougar Solution
    Cooling
    Antec Kühler 620 liquid CPU cooler (push and pull)
That's how it goes.

DONT FORGET that windows 8 is new not bad it needs time to grow :winkey: :rolleyes:

When Vista was out for some time there were still a number of driver issues while the main companies were set to go like ATI, NVidia, Creative at least had their beta drivers by the launch date. With 7 the OEMs were on the spot having beta versions at least before the beta was released at the end of January 2009. The beta drivers for Creative were listed in Dec. '08 ahead of time for pre-public testers apparently as well as having foresight on the bulk of Creative customers who would be in need of drivers to try 7 out.

This time around however everybody has been generally using the existing 7 drivers. Now for certain games to run on 8 a few have been finding that running with 7 drivers has seen some better results especially with some older titles. Here I was able to get Direct X 9c to go on the 8 RP VM still running with one specific MS DX download option found at Download Download and Install DirectX9 End User Runtime | Install DirectX, DX9 from Official Microsoft Download Center

The main and likely reason that worked over the stand alone installer is this one is cross version compatible while the other was mainly released for Vista/7 back in 2009. The web installer is more flexible which made the difference in case you have any old games that run into any OpenGL or older DX requirements with some games including their own DX installers in them but may not run without seeing the "incompatible with this version of Windows" error message appearing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info

Well, part of its lack of popularity is how short it is. I beat it fresh in only 3 or 4 hours.

Also, for what it's worth, I guess I solved why Borderlands wasn't working, though I don't know how.
I totally forgot its so short :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ge force 9500gt
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
    Internet Speed
    60 KB/S
    Browser
    internet explore
nor does Max Payne 2
Wenda.

Max Payne-2 works without any issues under Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64. No compatibility-mode / settings needed. Game is patched to v1.01 and I also installed the 2 additional maps (* Upper East Side* Mona's Playground).

;)

Well, after reading this, I tried again, and can state categorically that it does not, at least on my machine.

It's an i7-2670QM with 8 gigs of RAM and a 2GB DDR3 GeForce GT555M, and all its drivers are current.

There is no 'odd-ball' hardware that could cause an issue. Looking at your system specs, nothing stands
out that I'm lacking.

Install locations (even tried installing in C:\Max Payne 2) make no difference, nor do compatibility settings.

The disks are fine, they work on the XP box no problem. The game installs without a hitch, but will NOT run.

Patching makes no difference either. The V1.01 patch installs, but V1.05 cannot find the game folder, even
when manually pointed at it.

You must just have the 'knack'. :confused::p

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
nor does Max Payne 2
Wenda.

;)

Well, after reading this, I tried again, and can state categorically that it does not, at least on my machine.

It's an i7-2670QM with 8 gigs of RAM and a 2GB DDR3 GeForce GT555M, and all its drivers are current.

There is no 'odd-ball' hardware that could cause an issue. Looking at your system specs, nothing stands
out that I'm lacking.

Install locations (even tried installing in C:\Max Payne 2) make no difference, nor do compatibility settings.

The disks are fine, they work on the XP box no problem. The game installs without a hitch, but will NOT run.

Patching makes no difference either. The V1.01 patch installs, but V1.05 cannot find the game folder, even
when manually pointed at it.

You must just have the 'knack'. :confused::p

Wenda.

That's really strange. Sent you a PM.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB in 2-Way-SLI (1408MHz | Boost: 1544MHz | Memory-Clock: 8000MHz)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Cooling
    EK H3O HFX 240mm Liquid Cooling Kit + 2x EK-480-Rads + GPU-Blocks + Gelid Extreme
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad
    Mouse
    Roccat Pure Military Dessert Strike | Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Yeah, got that Tonschuh. Thanks muchly.
Have d/l'ed it, will play around later in the week.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Yeah, got that Tonschuh. Thanks muchly.
Have d/l'ed it, will play around later in the week.

Wenda.

Good Luck with it !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I have currently installed Far Cry 2, Silent Hunter 4 and Sid Meiers Pirates. All work perfectly without looking for compat modes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    pc specialist made to order
    CPU
    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
    Memory
    16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    iiyama 24 inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

2TB Seagate SATA HDD

500Gb SATA docked
    Case
    In Win Turbo
    Cooling
    Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    microsoft mutlimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    logitech corded
    Internet Speed
    152mb
    Browser
    FF, IE11
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Every game I have played works except the sims 3 where I needed to launch it into windows 7 compatibility mode and it works fine

I'm new to 8 and to this forum. I was hoping for help installing The Sims 3. Can you tell me how to launch in Windows 7 compatibility mode please? Thanks!

TG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Norton
Every game I have played works except the sims 3 where I needed to launch it into windows 7 compatibility mode and it works fine

I'm new to 8 and to this forum. I was hoping for help installing The Sims 3. Can you tell me how to launch in Windows 7 compatibility mode please? Thanks!

TG
hi you can do it by right click on sims3.exe then properties then compatibilities then check compatibility mode choose windows 7
I hope it helps please reply if it did :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ge force 9500gt
    Screen Resolution
    1366X768
    Internet Speed
    60 KB/S
    Browser
    internet explore
Has anyone managed to get the original Tomb Raider working perfectly (or close to it) on 7/8? I bought it from GOG and it either glitches out or crashes when I launch it. I havent been able to play so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later

TG
hi you can do it by right click on sims3.exe then properties then compatibilities then check compatibility mode choose windows 7
I hope it helps please reply if it did :D

Thank you for the tips. It didn't work. I wonder if the real problem is the Origin pop-up from EA rather than the game itself. I know my password is correct because I can successfully log in to the Origins website, however when prompted by the pop-up for the password, I cannot log in. I'll have to search for a remedy here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again!!
TG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Norton
Steam:

- Aliens: Colonial Marines + Season Pass
- Arma 2
- Arma 2: British Armed Forces
- Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
- Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta
- Arma 2: Private Military Company
- Arma 3 Alpha
- Arma 3 Alpha Lite
- Arma X: Anniversary Edition
- Arma: Cold War Assault
- Arma: Gold Edition
- Brink
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II + Season Pass
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 + Season Pass
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Champions Online: Free For All
- Counter-Strike
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Counter-Strike: Source
- Dota 2
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars(TM)
- Forsaken World
- Global Agenda
- Hard Reset
- Hydrophobia: Prophecy
- Killing Floor
- Killing Floor Mod: Defence Alliance 2
- Metro 2033
- Midnight Club II
- PAYDAY: The Heist
- PlanetSide 2
- Portal
- Quake 4
- Quake II - Ground Zero
- Ravaged
- Saints Row 2
- Spiral Knights
- Team Fortress 2
- Torchlight II
- TrackMania-2 Stadium
- Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition
- War Inc. Battlezone

Origin:

- Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition + Premium
- Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition
- Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition
- Dead Space 2
- Dead Space 3 - Limited Edition + Season Pass
- Need for Speed: The Run - Limited Edition
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Limited Edition + all Extras
- Battlefield 4 - Digital Deluxe Edition - pre-ordered

Others:

- Firefall
- Smite
- Tribes Ascend
- Battle for Graxia
- Borderlands
- Red Faction
- Red Faction II
- Saints Row 2
- Diablo III

That are all the Games I have installed at the moment so far.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info