Tough Times for Win 8 and MS

On top of fines and taxes, Microsoft got bad news on Windows RT, Windows 8, and Office 2013

...Demand for Windows 8 is also failing to meet expectations...

Microsoft...is looking like "a tired technology corporation scrambling to protect its cash cows on the legacy PC desktop and failing to gain traction in the new markets of note...

Microsoft vs. the world: The punches keep coming | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

Let's hope they get it right with Blue and it turns around for them.

Everybody knows the RT isn't selling and why(wrong form factor).

Are you sure that is why.

Yup.. it'll become more apparent as the year goes on. The 10" iPad is allready getting eaten alive from just Apple's own iPad Mini. 7" will be the de facto standard for pure tablets. You won't be able to buy one at 10" in a year or two.

And the cheap versions of the Surface Pro with the name SAMSUNG

Did you epect them to try and put one out at $2000, or did you expect them to go head on with MS?
If they are going to bring one out a lower price point - no surprise it isn't the same quality - there is also the little matter of the license fees hampering what they can spend on it.

*shrug*.. they just look cheap to me. Even the ones that compete at the same price point. Like a typical Samsung knockoff where they just 'get it to work'(or in the case of Apple just simply copying the design of the iPhone wholesale). On this part, Microsoft was probably very astute in actually designing one of their own. OEM's are not known for their design, only their speed of delivery, and if Apple has shown anything... the prospects of mobile products are enhanced greatly by good design.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Yup.. it'll become more apparent as the year goes on. The 10" iPad is allready getting eaten alive from just Apple's own iPad Mini. 7" will be the de facto standard for pure tablets. You won't be able to buy one at 10" in a year or two.

That will apply to the Surface PRO also. You may not see one of those in a year or two.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I wouldn't disagree 7 in appears to be getting more popular.

I don't think that is why it failed. It is far too expensive. Apple can get premium prices - that is what they are good at.

Is there anything with 8 on it out there at $200-300 ?

The 10" iPad is allready getting eaten alive from just Apple's own iPad Mini

It's not just the size - there is quite a difference in price between those two.

Even with the 7 in, Apple can get a premium.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I wouldn't disagree 7 in appears to be getting more popular.

I don't think that is why it failed. It is far too expensive. Apple can get premium prices - that is what they are good at.

Is there anything with 8 on it out there at $200-300 ?

The only thing I can find is a Windows 8 phone but that is with a 2 year contract.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Exactly.

Long while back I did a Poll here.

Win 8 adorers were convinced the world would fall over itself to pay 500 bucks for one of those things.

I pointed out then - $200-300 is going to be hot - at that time it didn't look like MS would be there.

So it turned out..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Excuse me there guys, but is Ray8 gone. Haven't seen his patented dislike for anything windows 8 in the past couple of days. I really did like reading his. . .whatever you might call it. . .fun to read. . .:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
@ Lee,

Yeah, me too.

I might be mistaken , but I thought I saw he was reading one of these threads earlier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Excuse me there guys, but is Ray8 gone. Haven't seen his patented dislike for anything windows 8 in the past couple of days. I really did like reading his. . .whatever you might call it. . .fun to read. . .:D
Who's Ray8, never heard of him.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

That will apply to the Surface PRO also. You may not see one of those in a year or two.

We'll see. I think you're wrong primarily because it hits a brand new market that they have no real competition in. The iPad and iPad Mini are entirely different device lines and starting to coalesce around the 7" form factor and price, and the design of the Pro is lightyears beyond anything out of the OEM's. Lets put it this way, had I not explicitly looked up Samsung and Lenovo Tablet PC's for comparisons sake.. there is a good chance i wouldn't even know they exist. Most people i've talked to about the Pro know what it is at least by 'oh.. thats the thing in the commercials right?'

But make no mistake, the market won't support two different form factors of the same iPad, and with mobile smaller and cheaper(while providing the same functionality) tends to always be better.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
This was typed on the Surface Pro.
th
yes it was. Not only that, I sm using the. Keyboard with all ten fingers. I'm not correctingna mistakes, I've closed the browser three times by hitting the windows key , brought up the weather app, the finance app accidentally . its probably tkane me about two minutes thus far t omake this fespons. Pretty swedte
I'm not real good on English, but I think I know the basics.

This is my interpretation.

You were trying to deride the Surface Pro by pointing out that it was next to useless when typing, hence the rubbish above.

Unfortunately it backfired on you by admitting that you can type 72wpm at 94% accuracy.

Please tell me where I've gone wrong.

Anyway this has nothing to do with the Surface Pro, there are women that can type twice as fast as you with their thumbs on a smartphone.

My interpretation is:

pparks is trying to show you that he and on-screen keyboard isn't matching with his typing style.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
LOL, we all know he is your online best buddy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
LOL, we all know he is your online best buddy.

Maybe he's fallen head over heels in love with Windows 8 and the PIM and now he doesn't know how to convey his feelings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm still waiting for someone to edit a tablet and replace the UI with an LCARS style interface. That would be interesting.

For those unaware, LCARS is the name of the interface used throughout the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation, as well as on their little tablets and tricorders.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
Yes, of course there will be canibalization. Perhaps more than Tim thought.

Lots of folk want an Apple - if you can get for $329 - hey. Damn sight easier to put in your pocket as well.

Surface RT at $299 - still won't be an easy sell, but less daft than trying 500 bucks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Lots of folk want an Apple - if you can get for $329 - hey. Damn sight easier to put in your pocket as well.

Surface RT at $299 - still won't be an easy sell, but less daft than trying 500 bucks.

The day they start selling Surface RT at $299, I'll buy 2, maybe 3, one for a Photoframe.

Downward Spiral, and now Plastic Phones

My Computer

System One

• OS

Surface RT at any price won't sell. Its the wrong form factor. What you don't seem to realize is people are buying the most capability at a certain form factor. Its not about the op sys, its not about the company making it, people want the most bang for their buck at a certain form factor. If you can fit a laptop and a tablet in a 10" form factor, you trump a pure tablet at the same form factor. If you can fit a pure tablet in a 7" form factor, you trump a pure tablet at a 10" form factor.

In order for PC's to survive, they need to pack *a lot* more power into the same mini-tower form factor such that said devices do things you cannot do mobily. Like dropping a teraflop card on a PCI-e slot. PC's have to push the limitations of computing such that you get software and capability that you simply can't get mobily. Why would people buy a PC in the form factor of a tower if it runs what can run on a 10" model?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes, it would be better at 7 in.

But the price is crucial. 500 bucks will not sell it - whatever size it is.

I have been questioning for a long time what MS is planning to do in the lower price ranges - lot of action there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back