The worst thing since Microsoft Bob: What is MS thinking?

Coke Robot: There is nothing wrong with liking something that other people don't like. If you feel that Windows 8 is awesome and it's going to work well for you than just use it and enjoy it.

I think the reason that you feel like you do, is that you are going way, way, way out of your way to try to prove to lots of others that's it's totally awesome. We all have different interests and desires. For example, in another thread you started you proclaimed that your experiences with touch screens were awesome and windows 8 was a perfect match to the touchscreen. And while there is nothing wrong with feeling this way, no amount of convincing is going to change my mind or convince me that I actually like touchscreens. I do not. Perhaps in a few years when the technology changes and evolves, my opinion will change, but at the present time....I prefer without question to have a keyboard/mouse and no touchscreen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Windows 8 is good in the sense that they haven't changed the good stuff introduced in windows 7 although they are still missing probably a few things that could make it even better overall they did a good job of preserving what worked. What they didn't do right is removing the start menu and replacing it with the start screen. A real solution if they were going to remove the start button would have been better for the desktop. They've created a bad user interface and it's valid to criticize it because besides the aesthetics of what has changed the way how windows functions in the desktop mode is awful. Because there is no actual start button to get to the shut down easier if someone is using the mouse they have to hover to the right at a specific point just to get the menu to show up. That just makes the experience less enjoyable then with the start button. The start button wasn't the BEST solution but it does make most things easier in the sense that everything is much easier to access that is in the menu. Getting to control panel or desktop settings I wouldn't need to right click on a hidden menu on some odd space that contains no visual cue that you should be pressing in that area. The show desktop button is also hidden I believe and that is also not helpful. Basically instead of making things easier they've managed to make it harder for users. This is the real problem I feel about windows 8 if they keep making windows 8 faster that's good but the whole switching between metro and desktop is just jarring and awkward to use. Desktop is treated as an app when. This just doesn't work out when normal users that actually do real work on the computer use the desktop and not metro side of things. I would never use my design programs with my fingers or type a serious letter or essay on one. It just isn't piratical. With them making the real workspace(desktop) much more difficult to navigate that's what I think is wrong with windows 8. I mean it's not a bad operating system but a lot of the new features should have been implemented a long time ago so it's nothing to be proud of on their part. The whole removal of dvd playback on mediaplayer is also quite disappointing.

Sadly nothing can be changed at this point. The fact is they should not only think about the future which is important to stay alive in business but also about the real users who will be desktop users. Yes maybe there will be a lot of tablet users but making things more difficult with desktop users will definitely not help this product sell.

My Computer

Coke Robot: There is nothing wrong with liking something that other people don't like. If you feel that Windows 8 is awesome and it's going to work well for you than just use it and enjoy it.

I think the reason that you feel like you do, is that you are going way, way, way out of your way to try to prove to lots of others that's it's totally awesome. We all have different interests and desires. For example, in another thread you started you proclaimed that your experiences with touch screens were awesome and windows 8 was a perfect match to the touchscreen. And while there is nothing wrong with feeling this way, no amount of convincing is going to change my mind or convince me that I actually like touchscreens. I do not. Perhaps in a few years when the technology changes and evolves, my opinion will change, but at the present time....I prefer without question to have a keyboard/mouse and no touchscreen.

I guess it does seem like I go out of my way to prove something, but it's usually due to the fact that someone hasn't seen a part of Windows that they're not finding in 8. Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though. I know I can't convince otherwise, but if an issue is sorted out about whatever, that's fine to me. As long as SOMEONE else that happens to come across that thread where a problem has been corrected and takes from that, that's great.

But I should say though, the touch technology is there. And it's juicy! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
sgage said:
As long as you feel it's worth it, then that is all that matters. There are some of us who don't see the value in this upgrade, even at a mere $40. I plan to just stay put on Windows 7 and keep my $40 to use on something else. Not necessarily because Windows 8 is bad, just because it doesn't bring enough to the table to make me want to spend money on it. I just feel that if I disable Metro, and re-enable the start menu, I've more or less created Windows 7 with a service pack and I wouldn't spend $40 on a service pack.

sgage think about THAT! Microsoft is making EVERYTHING computing EASIER, and to only pay a mere $40.00 to be able to stay in the herd, you don't think it is worth it? (Reference to herd: go back in time and compare WinNT4 with Windows 8. I think you will get my meaning then :) ).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I guess it does seem like I go out of my way to prove something,
Yes, I guess that is true. I had to think about it some more. It's more like throwing out some grandiose statements and then just disappearing and then wondering why more don't agree with you. For people who might say, boy I really hate feature 1 because of A,B,C to just say, holy cow I have seen the light and feature 1 is simply pure genius.

Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though.
Like Jimbo, I too was unable to figure out how to search for anything in the Windows 8 store. To use the search function from the charms bar just wasn't very intuitive to me, or Jimbo for that matter. Being corrected on this issue is excellent and I'm glad that somebody did set me straight.

But I should say though, the touch technology is there. And it's juicy! :cool:
Perfect example of what I was trying to explain above. You say the touch is there and it's "juicy". Seriously, "juicy" doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't explain at all why the implementation of touch in this interface might be better than anything that has been done before. It doesn't help to clear up any of the concerns that I have previously had with touch screens and why I should potentially give them another chance to see if they have radically improved.

As I and others have mentioned, we have very specific reasons as to why touch doesn't necessarily excite us
1). I don't want fingerprints on my monitor...how will the "juicy" implementation of touch make this better?

2). I don't like switching from horizontal (keyboard) to vertical (monitor) to input. And I said, I don't like it. I didn't say "I'm concerned that I wouldn't like it". The difference is that it shows that I have had experience using them before. I've used touchscreens combined with keyboards and I don't like going back and forth and lifting my hands and touching the screen and then coming back to my keyboard and typing again. Now, I can tolerate this (just slightly) on my Motorola Droid 2, which a physical slide out keyboard because the input is on the same plane...but I still don't like it. Is the "juicy" touchscreen going to fix this for me?

3). We are concerned with accuracy of clicking things. For example, in a thread with lots of replies, there is an entire block of pages that we can select from, say 1 through 45. So, maybe we see 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last. Well, on a touch screen, touching these accurately for many of us has proven difficult. My fingers are just too big on the tips perhaps. For the big buttons, well it's no issue at all. But I can tell you from hands on experience with any tablet that I have used, clicking on 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last accurately has been an exercise in pure frustration for me. And I'm not going to lower the resolution substantially to have big buttons for the above stuff. I'm going to run my resolution as high as I can to maximize my screen space. Perhaps the answer is to use a stylus to help me pinpoint a very specific area...but then I have to pick up another device when my hands leave the keyboard. At least with the mouse, my hand can just fall onto the mouse and then move it. So, how can this "juicy" touchscreen technology fix this issue for me?

Hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make. I've spent a considerable amount of time explaining as clearly as I can why I am convinced touchscreen technology is not there for me yet. A retort of, Windows 8 is "super extra spiffy juicy"....just isn't convincing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
pparks1 said
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Coke Robot Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though.
Like Jimbo, I too was unable to figure out how to search for anything in the Windows 8 store. To use the search function from the charms bar just wasn't very intuitive to me, or Jimbo for that matter. Being corrected on this issue is excellent and I'm glad that somebody did set me straight.

HEY!! Where's my KUDOS for that at? I was the one that explained the search in the charms bar issue!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
HEY!! Where's my KUDOS for that at? I was the one that explained the search in the charms bar issue!!!

Oops, now I am in hot water. Sorry about that, I went back and hit the reputation button for that explanation. And here i was thinking that it was Coke Robot who explained that issue.

Thanks, appreciate the efforts here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Like most I was confused by Windows 8, and it took awhile to start using the CharmsBar especially Search. Basically if you can't figure out where an old feature went, check out Charms. Or go to the Metro screen and just type in what you want to locate - such as "paint" or "file history" or "update". It is so much faster and responsive than Win7 on my seven year old laptop that I will definitely spend the $39.99 for the finale release.

So far I haven't relied on Metro apps for much tho I have tried many of them. But one thing is for sure, my hands DEFINITELY want to reach out to that screen and touch it to access and control both the desktop and Metro views. A 13.3" 8GB 256GB SSD Windows 8 ultrabook with touch screen as well as traditional touchpad/keyboard would win me over in a heartbeat!

I love right clicking on Metro to see every application on my system. It is growing on me. I'm not an all-out Windows 8 fan yet, but I'm getting there. But to be honest, from my intiial exposure to the Consumer Preview, I can understand why many don't like it at all. A user manual PDF would have been helpful at that time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Customer Preview
Bob? This is a ploy to torture us into buying a touch screen PC..BUT they don't really have to convince us to buy one, it's our WIVES they need to convince. LoL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
They'd have to convince me to buy one, and I worked for a touch screen company for well over a decade! :)

But maybe that's what gives me the insight to be able to know how much a touch screen does not work on the desktop. Not visually and not ergonomically.

The only desktop use for a touch screen I can see at all is in the Cintique case, or even an Intuous tablet where the screen is actually UNDER your hand the entire time (Like a ginourmous tablet...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Bob? This is a ploy to torture us into buying a touch screen PC..BUT they don't really have to convince us to buy one, it's our WIVES they need to convince. LoL

LOL I agree! AnD of course our bank accounts.

The other factor of course is to go with a MacAir which I am considering. I love my iPad and you can run Windows on a Mac as well as the Apple operating system. That might be the ticket for me eventually. But first I will install Win8 final release on my old laptop in October and see how that goes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Customer Preview
pparks1 said
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Coke Robot Like, jimbo for example, on another thread he didn't get why there wasn't a search bar in the Windows Store and therefore though it would be a pain to find an app. But, metro apps use the Search charm to search for something in that app, or different app. Sometimes I go out of my way to correct a fallacy about Windows 8 that someone is touting, sometimes though.

Kudos. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
They'd have to convince me to buy one, and I worked for a touch screen company for well over a decade! :)

Really?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'm convinced to buy a touchscreen monitor. Went back to the not so best buy and continued to tinker and play with their Windows 8 AIO PC they have running. I tried out the Desktop and Explorer and went about doing some of the usage scenarios I go through. If I can snap TWO windows AT THE SAME TIME, my life will be complete. I will be the maestro of my PC. Honestly, I think some things can be made better, like the little flick gesture to select a file or folder should be implemented as I have to use the Ctrl button to do that in Explorer. But, setting that aside, I found it is actually easier than with a mouse. Cutting/copying files and folders to a snapped window and pasting them is easier, ESPECIALLY with the Ribbon. Even doing a right click is simple with touch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I'm convinced to buy a touchscreen monitor. Went back to the not so best buy and continued to tinker and play with their Windows 8 AIO PC they have running. I tried out the Desktop and Explorer and went about doing some of the usage scenarios I go through. If I can snap TWO windows AT THE SAME TIME, my life will be complete. I will be the maestro of my PC. Honestly, I think some things can be made better, like the little flick gesture to select a file or folder should be implemented as I have to use the Ctrl button to do that in Explorer. But, setting that aside, I found it is actually easier than with a mouse. Cutting/copying files and folders to a snapped window and pasting them is easier, ESPECIALLY with the Ribbon. Even doing a right click is simple with touch.

Dude, we all know you drink the Koolaid but are you really planning on reaching across your desk to use a touchscreen? LOL, at least by days end you will have a great trap/deltoid workout.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Dude, we all know you drink the Koolaid but are you really planning on reaching across your desk to use a touchscreen? LOL, at least by days end you will have a great trap/deltoid workout.

Yeah, really. There is NO reason to buy an expensive and INFERIOR performing touch screen monitor when there are PLENTY of excellent and affordable ordinary monitors out there to choose from.

I do not NEED a touch screen monitor for my desktop because touch has NO place on a desktop PC.

Just like I won't be blowing a chunk of cash on some overpriced 3D television set. Heck most of what is available on TV and even the movies today aren't worth spending on either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
After many months of using W8 I am back to W7.

And what a relief.

I like to have the last versions installed always and be up to date, but God thank you for the Start Menu, for not having Metro, for not having the horrible charms showing up all the time, etc, etc, etc.

I feel at home again. I love you Windows 7. You are so normal and logical for a PC compared to that nightmare called W8.

I am starting to think that this might mean the beginning of my end with Microsoft in every sense. Everything they are doing, such as the new Outlook Mail replacing Hotmail, is just worse, ugly and horrible ideas.

I think they are going to crash beyond Windows, the crash can be generalized affecting their whole range of products. So many stupid and annoying ideas together can't survive long.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
After many months of using W8 I am back to W7.

And what a relief.

I like to have the last versions installed always and be up to date, but God thank you for the Start Menu, for not having Metro, for not having the horrible charms showing up all the time, etc, etc, etc.

I feel at home again. I love you Windows 7. You are so normal and logical for a PC compared to that nightmare called W8.

I am starting to think that this might mean the beginning of my end with Microsoft in every sense. Everything they are doing, such as the new Outlook Mail replacing Hotmail, is just worse, ugly and horrible ideas.

I think they are going to crash beyond Windows, the crash can be generalized affecting their whole range of products. So many stupid and annoying ideas together can't survive long.

This is the most silly reply I have seen here so far

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V